As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Reminder to everyone, this is the last week to submit your application to be a gym leader! So if you've been waiting until the last minute, THIS IS IT. THIS IS THE LAST MINUTE. No late applications accepted!

Applications close at the end of September, and we'll be announcing who's in a bit after that.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    My boyfriend is trying to get into the community and is applying to be a gym leader. Hope he gets accepted :D

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    And at the last second I manage to submit my application! Though I'm a bit confused. When did September get an extra day?

*cough*

Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    We stole one from October. Halloween is now on November 1st.

• Options
    Oh. Well then, that makes sense. I just hope February doesn't start getting jealous and grab a day for itself. That way lies a complete reshuffling of the calendar and that will just get confusing.

Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
  • Options
    Also: Agh, you guys and your last minute applications. We got more in the past day than we got in the two weeks beforehand!

• Options
    thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    on an unrelated note, feast your eyes upon the one true enemy of the PPL: CROWS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3wVjc6eGS8

• Options
    StarVVolphStarVVolph Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    That's just because of the 'ginge' in you. Hehehehehehe.....

StarVVolph on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Something's up with my notifications because it's not doing its job. Grumpyface.

On another note, good luck to all the applicants and their teams! This year will be shiny.

• Options
    FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    Heleor wrote:
    Also: Agh, you guys and your last minute applications. We got more in the past day than we got in the two weeks beforehand!

The amazing... ness? that is my application took two weeks to write. No, not really. I just was unaware of what the timetable was when my girlfriend randomly told me one day, "Hey you like pokemon right?" (as I'm playing SoulSilver) "You should sign up to be a leader in the PPL!"

• Options
    Well being fair the reason I didn't turn in an application earlier was I didn't check the boards until the middle of the month. Then came the debating of whether or not I should apply. Followed by the various team possibilities(Rejected team themes included ape trainer, cowboy, mad scientist, and conspiracy theorist). And finally ending with the writing up of the character.

It took a little while.

Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Hey there Pokeguys! I participated in the League this year; got a lot more pity-badges than win-badges, but I still had a lot of fun. I'm not planning on entering as a leader or anything since I won't be attending East, but I did have a question.
    Whoever N was at Prime asked me for a picture to prove my love of my Pokemon. I drew one up and gave it to him but he kept it! Which was totally cool, but he never sent me a picture of it. Anyone heard from him since?

Wow....I was going to post this weeks ago but the forum ate it, yet the draft's still here. That's pretty crazy.

• Options
    @Scunosi - I asked him about it, and he said it completely slipped his mind. He was looking for it to get a pic since he mentioned it was one of his favorites!

To everyone who applied to be a leader: Decisions are hard with the amount of applications we got. Propriety, Prof. Pine and I are all discussing to make sure we all agree, so it may be a bit longer before people are accepted.

• Options
    lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    @Scunosi Hey! this is N! I am an absolute terrible person for not getting that to you T.T I am so sorry! I have been ransacking my room, and it has yet to turn up. >.< I know I have laid hands on it recently, and that I put it somewhere safe, where I wouldn't lose it (well....too safe, I guess) I think it got shuffled around in my last room cleanup, but I will hunt that adorable art down, and I will get you a picture! SO N SWEARS!

• Options
    N, if you don't get that to him, you're going to have to take him on a romantic ferris wheel ride. :B

We should have decisions soon! Sorry it's taking so long. SO MANY GOOD APPLICATIONS. T_T I wish we could just make everyone a leader! D: But then we'd have like a million gym leaders.
    Scunosi wrote:
    Hey there Pokeguys! I participated in the League this year; got a lot more pity-badges than win-badges, but I still had a lot of fun.

I'm glad you still had fun! We're trying to balance things a bit better going forward, so that there will be easier leaders and harder leaders, so everyone has a chance to actually win badges. Sorry to hear you won't be at East, we've got lots of fun cooked up! But I'm sure PPL will still be going strong at Prime 2012... :D

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    I'm not going to East, but next prime I should be there to make you work for badges, WITHOUT batting.

Note: Okay. Seriously. I have turned my room upside and back looking for this. I know I put it somewhere safe because I REALLY like it. But I cannot seem to locate that someplace. I am not above a romantic Ferris wheel ride, though you may have to talk to my girlfriend about that.

I WILL find it. I WILL send you your picture of it. and I WILL place it in it's rightful place on my artz wall (it isn't there yet, because I am lazy....)

Failing that, Well. You shall have your pretty picture! be it yours, or mine (Note: art by N may or may not be of substandard quality aesthetically, but be assured it is made with love and friendship)

• Options
    Hehe, well glad to hear the game is afoot at least. Though you must have quite the room if you still haven't found it. Probably in a toy chest somewhere or something eh.

• Options
    thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    The game will always be afoot. come rain or shine. We're like the US Postal Service. Except we deliver Pokemon Battles to PAX.

• Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see all the new leaders and challengers we get this year!

• Options
    The game will always be afoot. come rain or shine. We're like the US Postal Service. Except we deliver Pokemon Battles to PAX.

This got me thinking as to how I've had Pokemon for most of my conscious life, even before I knew how to read. Even though I complain every time a new one comes out (except for B/W, I was amped for those) because they would somehow sully the awesomeness of the original two generations, I would be left with an empty hole in my heart if the franchise came to an end. Anyone else with me?

• Options
    Scunosi wrote:
    Hehe, well glad to hear the game is afoot at least. Though you must have quite the room if you still haven't found it. Probably in a toy chest somewhere or something eh.

No! I have a tiny room! And I am near positive I tucked it somewhere in my desk! #RAGE
    This is killing me T.T

• Options
    Looks like you'll be taking that ferris wheel ride after all.

Out of curiosity how tall are the ceilings in the convention hall at Prime?

Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
  • Options
    XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity how tall are the ceilings in the convention hall at Prime?

Um. Can't say I was really looking up too much. The show floor is two floors tall and filled with signs and balloons. The halls off to the sides are...15-20 feet tall? There was a good deal of room. Someone correct me if my memories are wrong, though.

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • Options
    Hmmm.....

Looks like it'll have to be a small ferris wheel then.

Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    We have just sent out the decisions for the leaders. This was the hardest year yet, since we had so many more applications than spots... :(

I hope those of you who were turned away still enjoy challenging the league and earning the wonderful prizes that leaders are not eligible for! ;-)

Heleor on
  • Options
    Aww... I didn't make it. *sigh*

Oh, well. I suppose I'll just have to settle for getting as many badges as I can.

Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
  • Options
    I recall a friend of mine who went with me to PAX Prime this year saying in a year past he'd gone not as a Leader, but as a regular Trainer like you'd encounter on the Routes. He went as a Bug Boy, costume and all. Not sure if he was League-sanctioned, but he seemed to know a lot of you guys at PAX at least. So if someone doesn't get in as a leader maybe they can still do that just for funsies!
    By the way, you may have seen my friend this year, he was the Space Sphere Day 1 and P-Body the next two days, but he always had his Space Sphere hat.

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    I thought about applying as the Heart Leader, with nothing but Luvdisc. Then I realized how terrible I am at ideas.

• Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    DanUNG wrote:
    I thought about applying as the Heart Leader, with nothing but Luvdisc. Then I realized how terrible I am at ideas.

Well you could have some Alomomola too!

• Options
    I wonder if anyone tried submitting Red's "official" team as a Gym Leader idea? That would certainly be interesting.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Scunosi wrote:
    I recall a friend of mine who went with me to PAX Prime this year saying in a year past he'd gone not as a Leader, but as a regular Trainer like you'd encounter on the Routes. He went as a Bug Boy, costume and all. Not sure if he was League-sanctioned, but he seemed to know a lot of you guys at PAX at least. So if someone doesn't get in as a leader maybe they can still do that just for funsies!
    By the way, you may have seen my friend this year, he was the Space Sphere Day 1 and P-Body the next two days, but he always had his Space Sphere hat.

Oh man, I really want to be challenged by a Bug Boy. That would be so hilarious and wonderful.

Is your friend going to East? I want to see Space Sphere! I will give him a hug and we will shout "SPAAAAAAACE" and it will be glorious.
    I wonder if anyone tried submitting Red's "official" team as a Gym Leader idea? That would certainly be interesting.

No, no one did! They totally should have.

Though last PAX East a friend of mine challenged the league with Ash's team from the series, which was great fun!

Propriety on
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    This will be my frist time at PAX East and I can't wait to challenge the Leaders.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    Propriety wrote:
    Scunosi wrote:

Oh man, I really want to be challenged by a Bug Boy. That would be so hilarious and wonderful.

Is your friend going to East? I want to see Space Sphere! I will give him a hug and we will shout "SPAAAAAAACE" and it will be glorious.
    Pretty sure he's not going to East, what with it being in....East. He lives in Seattle so Prime wasn't exactly a long trip, but assuming East is during the college school year like Prime was (wryyyyy) it's highly doubtful any of us will be attending. I'd be more likely to attend Dragoncon before East, actually. Nothing personal, it's just I can do Prime here and then 'Con it up with my old Southern friends while hitting up all the [as] panels! :D

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Propriety wrote:

Though last PAX East a friend of mine challenged the league with Ash's team from the series, which was great fun!

That was TJ, right?

( edit: there was a pony image here, but I think I might be overstepping some rule by posting it outside of the exclusive pony thread on SE, so I took it out just in case. )

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:

That was TJ, right?

( edit: there was a pony image here, but I think I might be overstepping some rule by posting it outside of the exclusive pony thread on SE, so I took it out just in case. )

I remember that guy. I never got his name, but we BATTLED IN A CLASH OF MANLY SOULS, SHAKING THE VERY HEAVENS WITH OUR FURY. He was pretty good.

And there's an official pony thread? Where?

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • Options
    Xerlith wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

That was TJ, right?

I remember that guy. I never got his name, but we BATTLED IN A CLASH OF MANLY SOULS, SHAKING THE VERY HEAVENS WITH OUR FURY. He was pretty good.

And there's an official pony thread? Where?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/148969/pony-trek-vi-the-undiscorded-country
    Right here, my friend. See its majestic beauty and shiver with fear.

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    PPL is one of the best parts of PAX

• Options
    metalslugx12metalslugx12 Registered User new member
    DanUNG wrote:
    This year, I think I'm just going to hand out different Pokemon I've leveled to 50. Maybe do something special with 'em, I don't know really.

You should hand out teams of level 50 pokemon for people to use against different gyms...like rental pokemon.

• Options
    Propriety wrote:

That was TJ, right?

Yeeeep! He lives like a block and a half away from me. Don't know if he's going again next year.
    DanUNG wrote:
    This year, I think I'm just going to hand out different Pokemon I've leveled to 50. Maybe do something special with 'em, I don't know really.

You should hand out teams of level 50 pokemon for people to use against different gyms...like rental pokemon.

Oh man, that would be really awesome. Last year we had a Cameron the Photographer who'd take random pictures of people (Just when you least expect it!) which was cool, I hope he does that again this year. A Pokemon Rental service would be awesome and hilarious.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Propriety wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

That was TJ, right?

Yeeeep! He lives like a block and a half away from me. Don't know if he's going again next year.
    DanUNG wrote:

Oh man, that would be really awesome. Last year we had a Cameron the Photographer who'd take random pictures of people (Just when you least expect it!) which was cool, I hope he does that again this year. A Pokemon Rental service would be awesome and hilarious.

1) Oh man I hope TJ comes back! He's one cool dude.

2) Cameron the Photographer was so hilarious, it was a shame not everyone understood what he was doing.

3) Because this is PAX we're talking about, I'd be willing to bet you'd get a 100% return rate for those lvl 50 rental 'mons. Just keep adding to the awesomeness of PAX!
    Frugus wrote:
    K that's it. I got to get in on this Pokemon thing. Tomorrow I'll boot that DS and play for the realz.

Woah. Woah. Woah. Woah.

Woah.

Madness.

RainbowTunnel on