As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The official news on the forums being hacked

2»

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    If I would attack a site like PA, I would try from a WiFi hotspot, then replace the NIC afterward. Don't know if WiFi registers MAC addresses though. Hacking seemed exciting awhile back in highschool, but it's a waste of time and effort now.

good 'ol 139 port.

Well apparantly the group "responsible" lives in Brazil.

Not sure how many WAPs are there.

Meiz on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Were PMs affected in any way, Ramius? I believe I sent you a PM before it happened, and I haven't seen a response to it, so I wonder if it got lost.
    PMs weren't affected. I saw your PM and am actively ignoring it right now to make up for the extra time I've had to devote to other issues like this one. I'll get around to you, you just have to be patient.

Ramius on
  • Options
    LeaveMeAloneLeaveMeAlone Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    Meiz wrote:
    If I would attack a site like PA, I would try from a WiFi hotspot, then replace the NIC afterward. Don't know if WiFi registers MAC addresses though. Hacking seemed exciting awhile back in highschool, but it's a waste of time and effort now.

good 'ol 139 port.

Well apparantly the group "responsible" lives in Brazil.

Not sure how many WAPs are there.

oh, news to me. Brazilian hackers, didn't see that coming.

LeaveMeAlone on
  • Options
    RiotcowRiotcow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    DID U CHECK OUR PENTIUMS AND MEGAHURTZ? LOL

Riotcow on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    See, this is why you keep landing in jail. It's going to turn into a weekly checklist thing if you're not careful.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    So did the "ZOD" and "UCB" accounts have anything to do with being hacked, or was it just a coincidence?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Were PMs affected in any way, Ramius? I believe I sent you a PM before it happened, and I haven't seen a response to it, so I wonder if it got lost.
    PMs weren't affected. I saw your PM and am actively ignoring it right now to make up for the extra time I've had to devote to other issues like this one. I'll get around to you, you just have to be patient.

Oh, just making sure. I'm extremely patient.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Texas Carnie RoadshowTexas Carnie Roadshow Registered User regular
    edited February 2004
    an interview w/ Hax0rs lab, buncha punk bastards.

http://www.dominasecurity.com/hackerz/hax0rs_lab.htm

I wanted to cry when I got to work last night and saw the forums were down.

Texas Carnie Roadshow on
    oderint dum metuant
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004

Tell me about it. What the hell are you supposed to do all day at work if the forums are down? I spent 2 hours yesterday just hitting refresh hoping they'd come back (this being after the three hours I spent just bypassing the index page and going to the direct forum links).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004

Tell me about it. What the hell are you supposed to do all day at work if the forums are down? I spent 2 hours yesterday just hitting refresh hoping they'd come back (this being after the three hours I spent just bypassing the index page and going to the direct forum links).

OMG, you bypassed the forum index. You're a hacker.

Why is it that the people writing cybercrimes legislation can't understand the difference between these two cases?

People have actually been prosecuted for doing the same thing we do with the new comic (spot the naming convention and get it before it's officially released).

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2004
    Orthanc wrote:

OMG, you bypassed the forum index. You're a hacker.

Thank Safari. I think it has some sort of frequency memory in it's history/URL prediction thing so whenever I start to type www. it immediately goes "Hey ho, this doofus spends most of his time in SE++, lets just assume he's going to type www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2" so I didn't even notice that the main forum index was down until I tried to back out of SE++ to go to H/A.

The fact that I use a browser other than IE probably marks me down as some sort of haxor evil computer scientist genius in some peoples books too.

Szechuanosaurus on