As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, it makes sense that BA wasn't getting buffed when survival was the best DPS spec in the game.

forty on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BA buff pleases me.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm definitely curious how that will pan out, but it definitely makes me happy to see! Non-completely 'worthless' Black Arrow!

Dranyth on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    2 more rares have been added.

A new crab made out of gems and a stone cat (like the earthen stable master in Storm Peaks has)

-SPI- on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So last night we didn't have too many options for kiting the adds around in Nefarian 10-man... so I tried the turtle tank strategy. It took me a couple of attempts to get the hang of it, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. The only problem really is that it takes enough babysitting of the pet's threat with constant MDs that I couldn't put that much DPS on Nef until they had all died.

Regardless, we might be doing that from now on, as it seems like the healers liked not having to worry about the kiter getting caught. The turtle is pretty damned sturdy when spec'd to tank and with the Mend Pet major glyph. If only its Thunderclap did more threat, I could perhaps just let it do its thing except for managing its CDs and keeping Mend Pet up.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    2 more rares have been added.

A new crab made out of gems and a stone cat (like the earthen stable master in Storm Peaks has)

Neat but sadly I will now have to find and fight people for the cat sigh

Brainleech on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Stone cat please.

Is there a list of awesome looking pets and where they can be found?

Wiki have anything like that?

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    aunsoph wrote: »
    So last night we didn't have too many options for kiting the adds around in Nefarian 10-man... so I tried the turtle tank strategy. It took me a couple of attempts to get the hang of it, but after that it was pretty smooth sailing. The only problem really is that it takes enough babysitting of the pet's threat with constant MDs that I couldn't put that much DPS on Nef until they had all died.

Regardless, we might be doing that from now on, as it seems like the healers liked not having to worry about the kiter getting caught. The turtle is pretty damned sturdy when spec'd to tank and with the Mend Pet major glyph. If only its Thunderclap did more threat, I could perhaps just let it do its thing except for managing its CDs and keeping Mend Pet up.

Honestly the kiter will always do piss poor damage, no matter what class is doing it. Don't worry too much about it!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The exception would be if you happen to be fortunate enough to have a mage or two. After the kiter-tank's initial gathering of the skeletons, the mages can just rotate frost novas and CoFs while still being able to do decent damage to one of the dragons.

Has anyone here ever successfully pulled off the "full burn Ony in phase 1 and have the Ony tank taunt the adds" strat? I saw people mention using that as the basis for their heroic Nef kills. You just have a very long phase 3, but in theory if your tanks do it right and your healers don't have mana problems, phase 3 is indefinitely sustainable. I mean if you can last 5 minutes in phase 3, you can last 7 minutes too.

forty on
  • Options
    ff7007ff7007 Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    forty wrote: »
    The exception would be if you happen to be fortunate enough to have a mage or two. After the kiter-tank's initial gathering of the skeletons, the mages can just rotate frost novas and CoFs while still being able to do decent damage to one of the dragons.

Has anyone here ever successfully pulled off the "full burn Ony in phase 1 and have the Ony tank taunt the adds" strat? I saw people mention using that as the basis for their heroic Nef kills. You just have a very long phase 3, but in theory if your tanks do it right and your healers don't have mana problems, phase 3 is indefinitely sustainable. I mean if you can last 5 minutes in phase 3, you can last 7 minutes too.

We switched to doing this for our 10-man kills a month or so back and find it works much smoother. It can be a little messy if you don't have a misdirect or tricks to help get the adds in place initially, but with good (16k+ DPS I'd say) DPS and a solid tank there's no real risk involved. Also it leads to great placement for phase 3.

ff7007 on
    PSN: Rauhy FFRK: 9YYP Steam: Rauhy Battle.net: Rauhy#1977
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So we've been doing HMs and are 3/13 now, hopefully 4/13 after tonight. Just had a question for anyone with HM experience in Magmaw and Maloriak.

We downed HM Magmaw last night. I was handling parasites as SV. I've always used SV for AOE stuff due to the SS spread and entrapment. Although I was wondering how MM would fair with the dazed from MultiShot thing and almost constant multishotting because of bombardment? Just trying to figure out ways to clean up these HMs and do my job better.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So we've been doing HMs and are 3/13 now, hopefully 4/13 after tonight. Just had a question for anyone with HM experience in Magmaw and Maloriak.

We downed HM Magmaw last night. I was handling parasites as SV. I've always used SV for AOE stuff due to the SS spread and entrapment. Although I was wondering how MM would fair with the dazed from MultiShot thing and almost constant multishotting because of bombardment? Just trying to figure out ways to clean up these HMs and do my job better.

I am basically the primary parasite guy for our 10-man run, as MM; I get a little help from one of our Mages if/when I need it, but she basically stays on Magmaw most of the time.

MM fares quite well; with 2/2 Concussive Barrage I don't need an ice trap or entrapment at all, saving me Focus for more Multishots. 2/2 Bombardment gives me a total of 5 Multi-Shots before I'm out of Focus; I regen 19-20 focus in the GCDs it takes to MS 4 times, plus maybe half a second. By that time you have solid aggro and can reposition a little if you need to, plus you've probably dragged them into an Explosive Trap you dropped at your feet.

The real thing, though, is once one of them dies by your hand, which is simple enough to accomplish in a 10-man. 1/2 Rapid Killing and 2/2 Rapid Recuperation gives you 50 focus back when you get the killing blow on something, so once one add dies you can keep MS'ing, then more die, then more MSes, etc. I routinely switch back to Magmaw with 100 Focus; this combo also works great on Cho'Gall's adds.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rius wrote: »

I am basically the primary parasite guy for our 10-man run, as MM; I get a little help from one of our Mages if/when I need it, but she basically stays on Magmaw most of the time.

MM fares quite well; with 2/2 Concussive Barrage I don't need an ice trap or entrapment at all, saving me Focus for more Multishots. 2/2 Bombardment gives me a total of 5 Multi-Shots before I'm out of Focus; I regen 19-20 focus in the GCDs it takes to MS 4 times, plus maybe half a second. By that time you have solid aggro and can reposition a little if you need to, plus you've probably dragged them into an Explosive Trap you dropped at your feet.

The real thing, though, is once one of them dies by your hand, which is simple enough to accomplish in a 10-man. 1/2 Rapid Killing and 2/2 Rapid Recuperation gives you 50 focus back when you get the killing blow on something, so once one add dies you can keep MS'ing, then more die, then more MSes, etc. I routinely switch back to Magmaw with 100 Focus; this combo also works great on Cho'Gall's adds.

Most excellent. I'll be trying to this tonight and maybe be staying MM entire raids now instead of switching off to SV. As I've been picking up Heroic pieces and filling out my gear better, my MM dps has been increasing, but my SV damage seems a bit lackluster now.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You may find that you'll want another DPS to throw some AoE damage into the parasites at the start; if you burn all your focus but can't kill one in the initial salvo you'll be focus starved. You'll need to throw a Steady Shot or two, which can suck if your Bombardment buff drops.

And in case it isn't obvious, just leave your pet on Magmaw the entire fight.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't see why you couldn't, say, alternate MS and steady to make sure you bring your targeted one down in reasonable time (if just MS spam + auto isn't cutting it). Once you have the herd snared, you've got plenty of time to get off steadies.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That is effectively what you do after the initial salvo of MS. You want to make sure you get aggrieved on all of them quickly to keep them bunched up tight.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Gave it a few attempts but I still prefer SV. Entrapment is just so good :)

Did finally get magmaw down on HM though.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    To each his own! I remember Entrapping Drakonids on p1 of Nef back in BWL. Try dropping a new trap without Trap Launcher and needing to be out of combat to do so, lol.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well we have a 2nd hunter in our 10 man group now. He's always MM and I swap back and forth. On aoe fights serpent spread + entrapment + his bombardment stuff = sooooooo nice.

4/13 now and will probably drop HM Chim tonight.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To each his own! I remember Entrapping Drakonids on p1 of Nef back in BWL. Try dropping a new trap without Trap Launcher and needing to be out of combat to do so, lol.

All you had to do was feign death and drop a trap. It was broken / easy.

GooseyGoose on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

All you had to do was feign death and drop a trap. It was broken / easy.

Except for three things;

1) Feign Death was resistable, checked per creature. 15 trapped Drakonids = lots of resists. And one resist nullified your entire FD.

2) Entrapment worked really well, constantly proccing and locking down mobs in it's area of effect. And locked down mobs will melee anything in range, regardless of threat. And you needed to be in melee range for both the Feign and the trap lay.

3) Get off my lawn!

Rius on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    For those who still play (all what, seven of us?), I come bearing T13 set bonuses, courtesy of MMO-champ. The models themselves still aren't live yet though.
    * 2P -- Steady Shot and Cobra Shot generate double the amount of focus.
    * 4P -- Your Arcane Shot ability has a chance to grant 25% haste to you and your pet for 10 sec.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Is the Talent focus fire really worth it anymore?

I am debating what to do with my hunter since I am cleaning up talents and other things that did not quite work out as I would ahve hoped

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote:
    Is the Talent focus fire really worth it anymore?

I am debating what to do with my hunter since I am cleaning up talents and other things that did not quite work out as I would ahve hoped

Are you kidding? Focus Fire is a pivotal part of BM's dps, of course it's worth it.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I was looking around at other Bm hunters and saw a lot of them did not have it but had instead Killing streak or something else

THe only thing I don't like about Beastmastery is the three shots because it seems it needs something

Also how do I miss eyes of the beast and volley

• Options
    IIRC, Killing Streak is pretty bad as far as DPS increase per point investment.

• Options
    It looks pretty bad but then a lot of the hunters I looked at are in pvp gear

• Options
    forty wrote:

It's a good talent. It's a dps increase, plain and simple. Regardless, even if you think it's useless, where else are you going to put those two points? The cookie cutter BM spec takes every talent except: Pathfinding, Improved Mend Pet, and Crouching Tiger Hidden PvP Talent. So even if you don't want it, the alternatives are worse. There's no reason not to take it, really.
    Brainleech wrote:
    I was looking around at other Bm hunters and saw a lot of them did not have it but had instead Killing streak or something else

THe only thing I don't like about Beastmastery is the three shots because it seems it needs something

If a BM hunter doesn't have Focus Fire, they are doing it wrong. Period, the end.

You complain about BM having three shots and that it "needs something else." Um, hello, Focus Fire? I'd classify that as a "something else." That aside, all hunter specs have 3 shots, more or less. MM uses Chimera, Steady, Arcane, Aimed (when procced). SV uses Explosive, Black Arrow, Cobra (and Arcane at higher haste levels). That's technically 4, but then you could say BM has 4 also, with Focus Fire. It's not a shot, but it is a button you need to be pressing every 15 seconds.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Dibby wrote:
    forty wrote:

It's a good talent. It's a dps increase, plain and simple. Regardless, even if you think it's useless, where else are you going to put those two points? The cookie cutter BM spec takes every talent except: Pathfinding, Improved Mend Pet, and Crouching Tiger Hidden PvP Talent. So even if you don't want it, the alternatives are worse. There's no reason not to take it, really.
    Not sure where I posted anything about there being other alternatives in a PvE spec, just that it's not a good talent.

• Options
    forty wrote:
    Dibby wrote:
    forty wrote:

Not sure where I posted anything about there being other alternatives in a PvE spec, just that it's not a good talent.

When you talk about it "being bad as far as dps increase per point investment", that implies that those are points being wasted, and that could be better spent elsewhere.

Semantics aside, you're saying that the talent is bad/not good, but never actually explained why. So why do you think that?

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Dibby wrote:
    forty wrote:
    Dibby wrote:
    forty wrote:

When you talk about it "being bad as far as dps increase per point investment", that implies that those are points being wasted, and that could be better spent elsewhere.

Semantics aside, you're saying that the talent is bad/not good, but never actually explained why. So why do you think that?
    The context was in response to the post right above it:

"I was looking around at other Bm hunters and saw a lot of them did not have it but had instead Killing streak or something else"

I am saying that Killing Streak is not the sort of talent that one should give up Focus Fire for, because it's not that good, regardless of the fact that you can get both in a fully raid focused spec. It doesn't proc that often, and even when it does it doesn't add a whole lot of damage to your cycle. It's also simply poorly designed. It has an incredibly shitty window of opportunity (less than 4 seconds) for use, so it's not uncommon for procs to go to waste on anything that isn't a Patchwerk/Baleroc affair.

I take any opportunity I can to badmouth the talent since whoever at Blizzard is responsible for it is an idiot who has apparently never actually played with it.

forty on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So after tanking some heroics and just having some ridiculously awesome hunters in my groups, I decided I need to make a hunter alt. I was wondering if there are 'must have' mods for hunters anybody would suggest. I figure an aspect bar of some sort would probably be good.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    gun silencer mod. Best hunter mod evar.

• Options
    Fatty-McPhatFatty-McPhat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You're really only going to ever use fox and hawk in fights. I use PowerAuras to pop up 'Fox' next to my character when I'm in Fox and nothing when I'm in hawk. I also use an old version of EventHorizon that shows in bar form my Serpent Sting duration and my CD for Chimera shot. You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8rNwyok2Xg

Fatty-McPhat on
  • Options
    And so back to another dumb question my hunter bought the tier 11 chest but looking at what I should enchant it with and gem it with I ran into a lot of questions
    I do instances as either MM or Bm and my dailies as Bm

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote:
    And so back to another dumb question my hunter bought the tier 11 chest but looking at what I should enchant it with and gem it with I ran into a lot of questions
    I do instances as either MM or Bm and my dailies as Bm

We're basically brainlessly plugging ourselves into askmrrobot.com and doing whatever it tells you to do. For an enchant, you probably want +20 stats, and the 20 agi gem bonus is good, so Delicate Inferno Ruby or Chimera's Eye and a Deadly Ember Topaz.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    My general rule for socket bonuses on my hunter is to ignore them and always gem agility, except when the socket bonus is 20 agility (or more, in the case of helmets) and there is only one non-red socket.

• Options
    It was the fact I saw a bunch geming for Agility and only agility is why i asked since I really needed hit

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Agility is the best stat for any spec of hunter, by a considerable margin. If you need hit, reforge for it.