As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cops Gone Wild: Corruption Meets Incompetence Edition

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    Speeding Tickets are not criminal offenses. They are moving violations. They are fines. Civil Infractions. That's all. They are getting their friends and familys out of fines, not criminal offenses.
    So, if there's no harm in this, why are we bothering to have traffic laws in the first place?

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Deebaser wrote:
    Have any of you ever been pulled over by a cop and given a warning?

Did you righteously demand that you be ticketed because it was immoral for the officer to dole out special favors?

Wow. That poor strawman. He never saw it coming.

Do you keep all your forum posts like this in a file on your desktop labeled IHopePeopleThinkMistakeMe4CleverEvenThoughIuseTheseEveryThread.txt?

Deebaser on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Did you righteously demand that you be ticketed because it was immoral for the officer to dole out special favors?

The officer intervened, and officers that give out warnings sometimes do so because the infraction wasn't that severe. If the warning goes unheeded, it's ticket time. But you'd have to be pretty stupid to do it again immediately after.

But as I said, intervention occurred. The officer did his job so there's no righteousness to this. Stop being a goose, Deebaser.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:

Wow. That poor strawman. He never saw it coming.

Do you keep all your forum posts like this in a file on your desktop labeled IHopePeopleThinkMistakeMe4CleverEvenThoughIuseTheseEveryThread.txt?

I treated your comment with the exact amount of seriousness and respect it deserved. As for why you were attacking a strawman, well, Than covered it on the previous page - there is a vast fucking gulf between an officer using discretion to issue a warning, and an officer using his position to get him or his family off of an issued ticket.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I can't find myself caring that much about this. It happens all the time and is right around the level of cops expecting free service for being cops.

Not saying it's right, obviously, but I highly doubt this is the kind of thing that leads to serial killers or anything. Hell, might as well turn this into a special privileges thread and talk about all the shit rich people get away with in terms of breaking the law.

Magus` on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    You don't speed my ass. Everyone speeds, whether they do it intentionally or not.

Just not true, sorry. I pay attention to the speed limit and that's what I go. I use my cruise control any time I'm driving on the highway, and it's not exactly hard not to speed. I just don't do it. I had a speeding ticket once when I was young and it pissed me off so much paying it that I just decided I was never going to have it happen again, and the only way to guarantee that is to drive the speed limit.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Speeding Tickets are not criminal offenses. They are moving violations. They are fines. Civil Infractions. That's all. They are getting their friends and familys out of fines, not criminal offenses.
    So, if there's no harm in this, why are we bothering to have traffic laws in the first place?
    Revenue raising!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    I can't find myself caring that much about this. It happens all the time and is right around the level of cops expecting free service for being cops.

Not saying it's right, obviously, but I highly doubt this is the kind of thing that leads to serial killers or anything. Hell, might as well turn this into a special privileges thread and talk about all the shit rich people get away with in terms of breaking the law.

"It happens all the time" doesn't excuse or lessen the severity of something or the implications it has. As I said already in the thread this is not a severe thing, a traffic ticket, but authoritative / enforcement corruption runs plenty deep.

Joshmvii wrote:
    You don't speed my ass. Everyone speeds, whether they do it intentionally or not.

Just not true, sorry. I pay attention to the speed limit and that's what I go. I use my cruise control any time I'm driving on the highway, and it's not exactly hard not to speed. I just don't do it. I had a speeding ticket once when I was young and it pissed me off so much paying it that I just decided I was never going to have it happen again, and the only way to guarantee that is to drive the speed limit.

Where I live, people generally drive under the speed limit by like 10 MPH which is super obnoxious.

At any rate, no Justin, not everyone speeds.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Revenue raising!
    So... you're saying this is theft, then.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Well, my grandfather was a Mason and as such was never given a ticket by the cops, and he wasn't even related to the cop. That's probably what's causing me such a hard time mustering a fuck.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• YarYar Registered User regular
    Don't tell anyone, but my sister in the hospitality industry, and sometimes she gets me free hotel rooms.

Never said it excused it. I don't really care because it honestly happens all the time and spending time on this one particular issue is a waste when you could spend it on corruption issues that actually affect us as a society.

On an interesting note, most of the time this happens it's actually in reverse. Rather than the person getting their <friend/family member> off, the cop realizes they're related in some way and just won't ticket them in the first place. They call it 'professional courtesy'. Take that as you will.

Yar wrote:
    Don't tell anyone, but my sister in the hospitality industry, and sometimes she gets me free hotel rooms.

Did someone declare War On Straw?

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Yar wrote:

Do you understand the difference between "free hotel room" and "dismissal of a traffic violation" or do we need to, very very slowly, explain it to you using small words?

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    Yar wrote:

Do you understand the difference between "free hotel room" and "dismissal of a traffic violation" or do we need to, very very slowly, explain it to you using small words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vB9U2hx6Qg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Getting a paid service for free is different than not receiving any sort of infraction or punishment.

You guys playing that card really disgust me.

I think the idea is people are basically referring to this incident as a perk, which in a dark sense it is.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    Getting a paid service for free is different than not receiving any sort of infraction or punishment.

If that's the case, your outrage threshold is set dangerously low. "Cop tries to get his kid out of a speeding ticket" doesn't trigger the "OMG CORRUPTION!" reflex in some of us.

Deebaser on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I never thought I'd see people arguing in favour of police corruption.

Henroid wrote:

Sorry, bro. *shrug*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:

What's the worst that could happen?

Two goats enter, one car leaves
    Deebaser wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

If that's the case, your outrage threshold is set dangerously low. "Cop tries to get his kid out of a speeding ticket" doesn't trigger the "OMG CORRUPTION!" reflex in some of us.

Outrage threshold withstanding, let me ask you point blank.

Is it right or fair that people get off the hook from tickets just because they know the officer or someone in the local precinct?

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Thanatos wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Buddies wrote:
    Revenue raising!
    So... you're saying this is theft, then.
    State-endorsed theft whose agents are paid to steal

there's a reason someone in a nice sports car who looks rich might get pulled over more

tyrannus on
    It might also be a lot of us already knew this happened so we're not quite as unnerved as some.

Deebaser wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Which, as has been explained in this and other threads, is a problem.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Don't tell anyone, but because I work in IT, I get access to the latest and greatest equipment my company offers with no charge to me.

Don't tell anyone, but because I work in IT, I get access to the latest and greatest equipment my company offers with no charge to me.

Again, goods and services do not equate to free passes in law violation.

... Really? Have you not read the thread, or are we going to have to have the talk with the very little words with you as well?

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    While I don't see an issue with light fines being revoked, I take issue with the 20+ mph over the limit the kid was driving. That is usually an arrestable deal, isn't it?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Magus` wrote:
    It might also be a lot of us already knew this happened so we're not quite as unnerved as some.

You don't think myself, Than, and the others didn't know this happens?

We're not unnerved. We're disgusted.

20mph over the speed limit is not arrestible, at least not in Ma. The only way you ever get arrested for "speeding" is if they tack on reckless driving.

Henroid wrote:

Again, goods and services do not equate to free passes in law violation.

The TSA agents let me through screening one time with a Powerade because I work there and I didn't have my airline badge with me to circumvent screening entirely. They let me take a container larger than 3.4 oz with fluid in it through the TSA checkpoint.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Traffic tickets are a government racket to begin with, and for the most part I despise the whole institution.

But you guys are I'm sure well aware that you are pretending like this is a case of trying to get a cop's relative off for committing a violent crime. It isn't that. Traffic tickets are, in many areas, nothing more than a revenue-generating program. When the economy got bad and cops were about to get laid off or furloughed, they were out in unprecednted full force around here, ticketing the bejeesus out of anyone and everyone. For great moneys. Nevermind that the people they are taking that money from were also hit hard and possibly lost their jobs in the recession.

And so, yes, it is the same thing. You know someone and so you get to save some money that others have to pay. The whole "but it's a law" thing is, in this particular case, not very meaningful to me. In most other situations, it would be.

Yar on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    You should put a disclaimer on the OP informing people to put Rorshach's Mask on before replying to this thread.

What is the goal of the OP in this thread? Just to talk and argue like we are? To just have an echo chamber of police hatred? There are two stances people have taken so far. 1) This is a travesty that leads to further corruption. Noone should be above the law. 2) Who gives a shit, it's just a speeding ticket.

Yes, I'm a goose because I don't care that people that are friends with cops, judges, lawyers, deputies, fire fighters, or one of a billion other professions that see this preferential treatment from time to time get out of speeding tickets. As long as humans maintain emotions, this will happen. Untill sociopaths and those with aspergers are the large majority of the population people will be getting their friends, loved ones and co-workers out of speeding tickets.

I imagine a lot more people would be upset if this was something like getting out of an assault charge (or, especially, a domestic abuse charge) than a speeding ticket.

I think it's akin to wanting people to be as upset over someone shoplifting some booze from the local Wal*Mart as they would if someone broke into someone's home and stole half their things. Both are illegal and tangently related but one is fairly minor and doesn't really affect us and the other is something that could affect us and quite a bit more severe.

I don't think anyone in this thread has flat out said this behaviour is ok as much as it's not a big enough of a deal to worry about when there are things like police bribing, murder cover-ups and the 'blue wall' still floating around.

Yar, you and me on this issue, we are like this.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    shryke wrote:

Corruption bad. We get that. But there are bigger fish than this to fry, and spending too much attention on it displays a terrible sense of perspective.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    If the people involved in this sort of thing were fired and prosecuted, we wouldn't see things like the BART shootings.

What

No

Thanatos wrote:
    If the people involved in this sort of thing were fired and prosecuted, we wouldn't see things like the BART shootings.

What

No

Yeah, I couldn't think of a good response to that. It's a fairly impressive leap of logic.