As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Available Now

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Game is up on Steam right now. Someone buy it so we can figure out what the hell it is.

Its Dead Rising 2, but with Frank West instead of Chuck Greene.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I kind of want to buy this, despite my earlier comments, out of pure morbid curiosity.

But I don't know. There are better things to piss money away on right now.

I still hold to my "spectacular commercial failure" prediction.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Giant bomb has a quick look up http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dead-rising-2-off-the-record/17-5035/.

Looks like Dead Rising 2. I get the sense this isn't for people who perviously purchased Dead Rising 2.

They might have had a really nice package if they included the original game with the technical improvements. Oh and they finally added VO to the mission messages.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I never ended up playing dead rising 2, and really only messed around with DR1 using the infinite glitch. Really the only part of this game that's calling to me is the sandbox mode, and not sure if that's gonna be worth it or not.

hLeTR.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am just not sure what to think of this. On one hand, I do want more Dead Rising a lot.

On the other hand, this isn't the Dead Rising I wanted.

Conflicted.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited October 2011
    Sandbox mode sounds kind of boring to me. I think people overestimate how fun it is to just kill zombies. I mean don't get me wrong, it's fun but the game needs a larger structure around it to make it interesting.

Oh and Chuck Greene is in off the record, video below (WARNING: Spoiler)
    I can't tell if they are playing his Canadian accent up even more or if he's always sounded like that.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    He's always sounded like that I think. I didnt watch the video to avoid whatever the spoiler may be, but I know I felt like it got worse the more times I played DR2 just because I noticed it more and more.

i will buy this the second it hits $9.99 or $14.99 in a lull (which, a lull will be hard to come by in the upcoming months). As a total Dead Rising junkie I have that need to own it and play it, but I really don't care for it at all.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Sandbox mode sounds kind of boring to me. I think people overestimate how fun it is to just kill zombies. I mean don't get me wrong, it's fun but the game needs a larger structure around it to make it interesting.

I can't tell if they are playing his Canadian accent up even more or if he's always sounded like that.

that video is several kinds of depressing :?

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I can laugh at some pretty bad situations but that Chuck Greene video was all kinds of bad taste. I don't really want to meet the person who would laugh at that.

Are you the magic man?
    edited October 2011
    ok fine now i have to watch it.

EDIT: Yeah, I have no idea what the point of that was, and it totally solidified me not buying this for over $10. There were so, so many great things you could have done - especially after Case: West - and that was awful.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Frei wrote:
    I can laugh at some pretty bad situations but that Chuck Greene video was all kinds of bad taste. I don't really want to meet the person who would laugh at that.

Bad taste?

I don't have sound at work, so thankfully there were subtitles, was there silly music playing or something? That was a pretty good example of "serious drama" that people are always whining for in zombie games.

Pretty damn depressing though...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Frei wrote:

Bad taste?

I don't have sound at work, so thankfully there were subtitles, was there silly music playing or something? That was a pretty good example of "serious drama" that people are always whining for in zombie games.

Uhh, that wasn't serious drama at all. Is that what constitutes as serious drama for you? Yikes. It's Capcom not knowing at all what to do with their characters or writing, and just completely ruining any kind of characterization that was in DR1 or 2(even if it is a "spin off" like they say). And I agree with the guy above, they could have done so much better.

Are you the magic man?
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Frei wrote:

Bad taste?

Yeah, I wouldn't say bad taste at all either. It wasn't done comedic. Chuck was nuts. It's not the way I'd like to see him oput in the game, and it's depressing as hell but they didn't do it to be funny.

Also, who beat Frank with the Ugly Oar?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Frei wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Frei wrote:

Bad taste?

Uhh, that wasn't serious drama at all. Is that what constitutes as serious drama for you? Yikes. It's Capcom not knowing at all what to do with their characters or writing, and just completely ruining any kind of characterization that was in DR1 or 2(even if it is a "spin off" like they say). And I agree with the guy above, they could have done so much better.

Yes, it was serious drama. Just because you didn't like it doesn't change that. It's not GOOD serious drama but it's no worse then 90% of other video game serious drama which all tends to be crap. As for ruining characerization, opinions lol. That's pretty much how I would expect Chuck to act had those events actually happened.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Katey needs Zombrex
    tumblr_kqk0dmYt641qa4y1mo1_400.jpg

forumsig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    About that Chuck video
    Has he replaced Leon in Off the Record? Is Leon still in the game somewhere else? Doesn't the second player play as Chuck in co-op? Can Chuck kill Chuck? Then again, co-op in regular DR2 is two Chuck's running around, so who cares?
    darleysam wrote:
    Katey needs Zombrex

:^:

Peewi on
    Frei wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Frei wrote:

Bad taste?

Um...

Spoiler'd incase someone is actually playing the game
    If a guy falling into a depressed psychotic state because he failed to save his daughter is comedy, or bad taste comedy to you, then Yikes back at you...

Magic Pink wrote:
    Frei wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Frei wrote:

Bad taste?

Yes, it was serious drama. Just because you didn't like it doesn't change that. It's not GOOD serious drama but it's no worse then 90% of other video game serious drama which all tends to be crap. As for ruining characerization, opinions lol. That's pretty much how I would expect Chuck to act had those events actually happened.

You need to play games that have actual stories if you think it's no worse than "90 percent" of other games. I am no huge Dead Rising fan, I don't have any reverence for the story but that was some of the worst shit I've seen, and it's just one cutscene from the game. also you don't need to say "opinions" because it should be obvious that it's an opinion. have no idea why people ever say that. that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Are you the magic man?
    edited October 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Frei wrote:

Bad taste?

Yeah, I wouldn't say bad taste at all either. It wasn't done comedic. Chuck was nuts. It's not the way I'd like to see him oput in the game, and it's depressing as hell but they didn't do it to be funny.

Also, who beat Frank with the Ugly Oar?

well (DR1 and 2 spoilers, and that video spoilers as well)
    the whole series has always been about very dark, black humor. Certain psychos in every game are just straight up sad cases (the crazy guy in the hardware store in DR1), and a lot are very sad stories told with a funny twist (Slappy in DR2 - his story is heartbreaking, and he just lost it. His ending is equally depressing, then funny again.) And there's some psychos that are just very terrible, terrible people (the lady cop in DR1, the crazy security guard in DR2).

And every case of this always has the protagonist - Chuck or Frank - dealing with it in some sort of detached, slightly comical, but mostly "I want to save you, but if I can't I have to kill you." way. And it works and it's why I love the series.

So with this, it's just awful and really kind of insulting to anyone that still likes Capcom (like me...somehow...) after all the bad will they've brought about with fans. As I said earlier in the thread, they won me over with Chuck. By the time DR2 was over, I was 1000% fine with Frank West not being the main protagonist. And when "Case: West" was announced? Jesus, that was easily my most anticipated game for the entire duration of it's announcement to release. I took the day off to play it. Two awesome heroes in a very well established zombie world.

So now, they take a character that I like, and that I care about, and I want to see what he does next - and they make him someone you have to kill (which again, could have worked if they did it right), but at the same time they try to paint HIM as the sad psycho you feel awful for. And I DO. Because I KNOW KATIE. So its SUPER SAD and I have more than just an "oh this is unfortunate." in my head. I have "I worked hard in the last game to keep Katie alive and this is SO SAD. I dont want to kill Chuck!" But then the part with the doll head comes off as a weird attempt at that dark humor they used to do so well, and it was a mish mash of uncomfortable feelings that I don't want to associate with my heroes.

Bottom line - this game is a huge misfire, and without playing it that video shows that either Blue Castle games has no idea what it's doing with this IP, or Capcom has just totally given up. They set up an amazing dynamic between Frank and Chuck - and even more importantly, and HUGE plotline - with Case: West, and this just throws all that away.

Also - to "thats how he would have reacted", I say no it's not. You played how Chuck would have reacted. Dead Rising 2 is exactly how Chuck would have reacted. And if Katie dies in Dead Rising 2, you get your very sad cutscene and then a very badass "Well I still need to clear my name and find out about these bastards that killed my daughter. Now I am Chuck with a vengence." In no way did the man they portrayed in DR2 show any signs of turning into whats in the video.

mxmarks on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Katey needs Zombrex

:^:

Seriously man, this thing nearly drove me insane while playing DR2. Every time 'Katey needs Zombrex' appeared on screen, I couldn't un-hear it.

forumsig.png
    edited October 2011
    I've always been skeptical of Blue Castle Games taking over Dead Rising, since the only other game of theirs I'd played before DR2 was MLB 2K8...

Not that DR2 was bad, it was decent but I just couldn't get into it.

Skull2185 on
    msmarks pretty much said what I wanted to say when I was editing my post in reply to Skull231586818969's post directed at me. They pretty much did what they did because people were kind of mad at not having Frank back for DR2, so it feels more like a fuck you than anything.

But yeah Off the Record is just kind of a disaster, I don't really have anything more to say about it.

Are you the magic man?
    So, you should probably work on your crippling number illiteracy, and awful holier than thou attitude.

I'm not holier than thou just because I have a different opinion and poked fun at numbers in your username. It's nothing personal! :)

Are you the magic man?
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So this version doesn't have the time limits right?

You can play the chapters without worry over them.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Of course Chuck doesn't go nuts in DR2 when Katie dies. There would be no game then and they wanted to give you the option to continue.
    There was nothing wrong with that scene. I'm assuming it's just a "what if" given the title of the game and all, but Chuck cracking like every other person who does is...just Chuck losing it. There are far worse things written all the time. He doesn't act any dumber than all the other psycho's, so it fits thematically with the rest of game. I suppose you could say the whole thing is written for crap, but that's kind of intentional and all...

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    So this version doesn't have the time limits right?

You can play the chapters without worry over them.

No, it's the same set up as DR2 for Story Mode.

However, it also has a Sandbox Mode which has no story missions and no time limit. It's basically DR1's infinite mode without the draining health except they added Challenges all over the map you can also do (30 solo challenges, and 30 co-op challenges).

As an unrelated note, apparently Frank uses a handless headset instead of a walkie talkie so he can keep bashing zombies with a baseball bat while getting messages from Stacy. And all of Stacy's messages are voiced now instead of just text. There's a few nice quality of life fixes in this.

Also, didn't really have a problem with the Chuck video and liked the references it had in it...
    ie. Chuck talking about how the zombies weren't the real threat, it was the Psychopaths. And Frank's quip at the end relating to the combo weapon work benches.

Also, DR2's story could continue if you didn't give Katie her Zombrex? I thought I remember getting a cutscene where Chuck just gives up and allows himself to be attacked by zombies? It's been a while though, so my memory may be faulty.

Lars wrote:
    No, it's the same set up as DR2 for Story Mode.

However, it also has a Sandbox Mode which has no story missions and no time limit. It's basically DR1's infinite mode without the draining health except they added Challenges all over the map you can also do (30 solo challenges, and 30 co-op challenges).

So, who needs the Zombrex? Frank?

Also, Sandbox mode actually sounds fun. Maybe when GameFly does one of their amazing $12.99 deals, I'll pick it up.

edited October 2011
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I've always been skeptical of Blue Castle Games taking over Dead Rising, since the only other game of theirs I'd played before DR2 was MLB 2K8...

Not that DR2 was bad, it was decent but I just couldn't get into it.

I put in Dead Rising 1 the other day and started with a fresh save. It made me realize that for all the rough edges they didn't correct in Dead Rising 2 there are a bunch of major functional improvements in the sequel. Not least of which is that the start of Dead Rising 1 is rough as all hell. I really think you have to level and then restart to have a chance at some the early game content where Dead Rising 2 is a little more forgiving. TLDR, Blue Castle did a good job with the sequel and they deserve some props.

I'm just worried that if (when) Off The Records tanks, then we will have no more Dead Rising. Or if it does well then Dead Rising will become the infinite adventures of Frank West. I kind of liked the concept of switching protagonists each game. Chuck really grew on me over the course of 2 and he allowed them to inject a fresh take on the black humor of the series.

That video I posted made me realize how much I liked Chuck and his daughter, which is an unsung accomplishment of Dead Rising 2. Especially given how little I care about most video game characters.

Uselesswarrior on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Did Frank always have such a massive forehead? geez. Also, I guess I should spoiler myself on what happens in Case West since I didn't get around to playing it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I liked the video

And I'm not uncomfortable at all with getting Off the Record at some point, probably when it's $20

Not looking forward to photography again, though. I was glad that was axed from DR2

That was all kinds of shitting all over Chucks character.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Does OTR have the horrible Terror is Reality multiplayer modes?

I liked TIR when I could get it to work...

• Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    Is Off the Record worth it? I've already heard about some of the storyline and I'm not liking some of the changes.

Mailman12089.jpg
    No, it's really not.

• Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    Thanks, Aegeri. I guess I can save my money. I just hope my decision doesn't kill the franchise. Capcom blames me for Megaman Legends 3 being canceled because I was complacent in the fact the game would be released anyway and I didn't participate in that devroom thing. I don't want that to happen to Dead Rising too.

Mailman12089.jpg
    Having played some of it, I can't see the point of it to be honest. The new area doesn't add a whole lot except for one boss, which is a homage to Dead Rising and there is the odd new weapon. The story is mostly the same except they blame the Cure leader instead of Frank, with appropriate dialog changes. But overall it's just absolutely not worth $40 for what it is if you already own Dead Rising 2. The only real redeeming feature is the Sandbox mode, which again could have been DLC for Dead Rising 2 in the first place and isn't brilliant enough on its own to save the thing.

If this kills the Franchise then Capcom are morons, because I honestly just don't know who this appeals to except die hard whingers that couldn't accept a sequel without Frank West.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote:
    Does OTR have the horrible Terror is Reality multiplayer modes?

No. As far as I can tell, the only multiplayer mode is co-op. For extra cash, you can make money in the sandbox mode.