As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen Earth] Now free-to-play, if you can actually log in.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    They're back up as of this post, but I don't know how long that's gonna last.

edit: I wandered around for about five minutes, got kicked to the character select screen, and am now unable to continue beyond that point thanks to the character room being completely empty. All options are grayed out save for "Exit". Don't mind if I do.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    They are back up and running now. A bit late for the US, but whatever.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    So, before I even finished patching I decided the last thing I wanted was to start an MMO. So, if some one PM's me and expresses that they are playing and will play for a bit, I'll gladly give you my chopper key if you don't have one.

• Options
    Liquid Ghost got the key. I might be logging in once and offering to give away anything I can, I'll post if that's the case. No promises though.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    I'll probably be checking this out.

I bought the game back in the day and got a lot of enjoyment out of it. They had some great ideas.

Poor execution though.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Thank you for the chopper key, good sir Anon. I will put it to good use once the servers come back up. If they ever do. I'm trying to picture the server clusters in whatever abandoned Civil War era hospital GamersFirst uses to house this sort of shit. I see a huge pile of Atari Portfolios and Amiga 500's just rigged together with lots of bare copper wires. An extension cord leads out of the room and down the hallway, only one link in the endless chain of surge protectors plugged into each other. This tangled snake of bright orange and red cords disappears into the darkness of the shower area where no light exists. Deep within the shadows, a mynock slurps and grunts as it chews on the power cables with a gigantic erection.

I don't really know what happened at the end there, but it's time to turn that bullshit off before we get even more bonery.

I need some Fallen Earth and then, uhh, a life. In that order.

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    That sure is a thing....

I guess I agree? I hope the servers come back up soon..

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    No problem LiquidGhost! I just so happened to get a second code because I bought the game for a friend ages ago, so SquiddyBiscuit, who PM'd me exactly 4 minutes after you did, got a bike too!

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Thanks!
    I'll see you around in-game with my new fancy bike, LiquidGhost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Thank you for the chopper key, good sir Anon. I will put it to good use once the servers come back up. If they ever do. I'm trying to picture the server clusters in whatever abandoned Civil War era hospital GamersFirst uses to house this sort of shit. I see a huge pile of Atari Portfolios and Amiga 500's just rigged together with lots of bare copper wires. An extension cord leads out of the room and down the hallway, only one link in the endless chain of surge protectors plugged into each other. This tangled snake of bright orange and red cords disappears into the darkness of the shower area where no light exists. Deep within the shadows, a mynock slurps and grunts as it chews on the power cables with a gigantic erection.

fiiGj.gif

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Go forth, adventurers, and facepalm.

I would if my characters would show up.

Or if they'd give me the option to make a new one. That'd work too.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options

fiiGj.gif

God. Moon was such a good movie.

• Options
    I played till level 5 and I gotta say this is a pretty cool mmo. Once it opens up a bit more and I get out of the noob zones I can see a lot of awesomeness in roaming the wastes looking for cool stuff.

I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Yeah, fond memories of dabbling in this at various points. Alas, can't seem to remember my account name and whatnot to do the transitiony stuff and get back to my old character. I miss my stylishly-dressed wasteland tailor and pistolero... Email to support sent!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Got my character issues figured out last night and got to log in for a bit.

I'd forgotten how cool this little sandbox title was. You really feel like you're making your own way in the wasteland.

It gets better in higher level zones too. PvP areas and conflict towns that you can claim for your factor. Looking forward to spending time on this through the weekend.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah I just got a chopper key even though I never bought the game or any time.

Apparently it does count the free time from the alienware promotion from way back as actual pay time.

I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    It's up again! It's down again! Ah, server issues. :-P I wish they would fix them decisively so I can get my Wasteland-scavenging-face on. Or something. Erm.

EDIT: Every time they take the servers down, they are fixing issues, though. This particular downtime, they are fixing "the respec injectors not working" and "the 0 chips = no more money for you! bugs". I'm glad they are addressing these issues every time the hamster takes a break.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Remember, if you go pistols you'll be a wrecking ball. But you'll also be broke as hell since pistols just devour ammo.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Remember, if you go pistols you'll be a wrecking ball. But you'll also be broke as hell since pistols just devour ammo.

Most of the mobs in Sector 1 are melee and most of the mobs can also be killed with basic melee weapons/skills. Don't break out pistols or rifles unless its a boss and you really have to. Try to get by on melee weapons as much as possible.

Save you a ton of chips.

Another thing...make friends with a crafter. Making the best armor or ammo for your level isn't hard and it will give you a huuuuge bonus on survivability. Crafting is pretty huge in this game.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Or just do melee until you'll hit the level to craft Economic ammo, then buy a re-spec thing and re-spec into pistol and make economic ammo...

• Options
    Or just do melee until you'll hit the level to craft Economic ammo, then buy a re-spec thing and re-spec into pistol and make economic ammo...

I never found that point. I had enough ammo on me for almost anything I wanted but every time I used them it felt like I was shooting money out of a cannon. I'd look down after a simple quest and would have blown through 100 rounds.

Once I hit S2 and started finding group of mobs that were all ranged, things changed pretty drastically.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    I remembered that I had a code still sitting around, so I grabbed a Xenofire rifle. Now I'm working on leveling my ballistics high enough to craft Light Rifle Ammo. Then I'm going to hunt for a large stick to beat dudes with in melee whenever I want to.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, the Xenofire really isn't worth it. Every time I've leveled it, I compared it to my current stock of guns, and it's always come up short. I think it compares favorably to... SMGs? But SMGs require Pistol skill, and it's a rifle.

I mean, it looks neat... a golden XM compact, pretty much. But it performs so terribly and chews through so much ammo. Its only saving grace is that x6 zoom scope, which could theoretically be useful for a mutie-focused character (since I found out you can use a scope with attack mutations!).

If you do go the melee route, I strongly suggest getting a Cemented Pole, if only for kicks. It does 92 damage, which means on headshots, it one-shot kills pretty much anything you face in South S1. It's an incredibly entertaining weapon to use.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the Xenofire sucks, but it was free, so I got what I paid for. Also, the little Alienware face on there looks completely fucking ridiculous.

• Options
    Wait how is pistol ammo a problem at low levels? Crafting zip rounds is like 2 copper ore which is everywhere and easy to make. The xenofire is a real shit gun but free bullets and better then starting rifle is still just fine.

Free chopper though.. that is the real benefit to the xenorifle but only if you cashed in on that train ages ago.

I never asked for this!
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Well ammo is a problem if you don't know the spots to farm for the parts and to be honest it works
    best if you have access to 2 chars at last.

If you need weak geologic chemical (s1) west of midway you can find dozens spots just outside the mine.
    If you need scrap copper (s1) the mine outside coppermine has dozens of nodes inside. Same goes for some hills outside e.g. embry.
    If you need weak biologic chemical (s1) go inside the mine just outside of watchtower and
    kill the creepers inside, the drop to 90% creeper toxin glands that is a substitute for biologic.

tricon on
  • Options
    Wait how is pistol ammo a problem at low levels? Crafting zip rounds is like 2 copper ore which is everywhere and easy to make. The xenofire is a real shit gun but free bullets and better then starting rifle is still just fine.

Free chopper though.. that is the real benefit to the xenorifle but only if you cashed in on that train ages ago.

I upgrade to the superior damage of other pistols pretty quickly. Sold the zip guns.

Logged in last night and I think they've changed the numbers some. I could craft a lot of ammo and use little resources. More than I remember.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They kinda screwed the pooch on this one, didn't they?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    They kinda screwed the pooch on this one, didn't they?
    The server is down about 1/3rd of the day every day. But they are fixing a bug every time they take it down. It'll even out and get better eventually. I'm a patient man, and it's not like I need to be connected to the game 24/7. Not the smoothest transition, but given their resources, there's only so much they can do.

The latest hilarious bug is all the newbies loading up characters, going through Hoover Dam, and then getting stuck at the town chooser interface (Which now is back up to 7 towns instead of 3 towns, which may be the reason why it broke). I think there were something like 30 people in that room, and they were flagging for PvP and shooting each other up to pass the time. Eventually, a GM would stop by in that room and port them to the wasteland in batches. It happened to my girlfriend when she rolled up a character. :-P

It's a fun game, and it'll be more fun when the server isn't going down every 8 hours or so.

EDIT: I've also discovered that mutations can hit over a VERY long range. Ridiculously further than most Sniper Rifles. I'm trying a Xenofire Rifle scope + Long Range mutation chucking build that is doing pretty well. The problem is running 50m to get to the body of the dude you just killed, because you targeted him at 120m+ away.

Also, on my Cemented Pole guy, I'm actually sinking points into Telekinesis to get to the first rank of Always Armed. I hit them at long distance with Always Armed (pulling them away from the group), and when they close the distance, I can hit them at around 10m with a headshot from a melee weapon due to the way the server syncing works. This typically one-shots the enemy. :D I also found a worthy successor to the Cemented Pole for later levels... the Barbell. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Well, what I mean is that this is the crucial week where they're in the news about F2P and shit. This was the big weekend, and the game was generally just down throughout the whole thing. People in this thread may be patient, but the more general audience might just move on. Especially since we got big game releases coming down the pipe this week.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Well, what I mean is that this is the crucial week where they're in the news about F2P and shit. This was the big weekend, and the game was generally just down throughout the whole thing. People in this thread may be patient, but the more general audience might just move on. Especially since we got big game releases coming down the pipe this week.
    I guess I don't personally care how popular the game is/will be. As long as they continue to support it and I can still play it until I'm done with it, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not in it for the PvP (although their PvP is intriguing). I had a similar experience with Star Trek Online, where I thoroughly enjoyed the game, independent of the server population (which isn't exactly stellar or packed).

Sure, it would be interesting if it ends up being more successful from a good launch, I guess. That's not going to happen NOW, of course. If the general audience moves on because of it, I say good riddance. One less person clogging the help chat with "How do I get a horse? How I mine 4 fish?" By the time the company folds because they epically failed, I'll probably be bored of the game and move on. I admit this is a cynical view.

I do know that people out there care about that sort of thing (If I'm going to be running around solo, I'm going to run around solo with lots of other soloers around me!!!). I'm just not one of them. If I want to team up, I team up with my friends IRL (who have started playing this as well).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Well, it's a funny situation because the servers are blowing up from too many people. It's just a weird example on how success can backfire if you're not prepared.

I've always been of the thought that you should keep on keepin' on if you're having fun. If you're having fun, then clearly population isn't a big deal. However, from a business context, I am curious to see if people come back or if they'll just bail for some other free MMO. Admittedly, Fallen Earth does fill several niches lacking in the market. Particularly the free MMO market.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Tiggs posted a gruesome play-by-play of the server outages over the weekend:
    http://forums.gamersfirst.com/index.php?showtopic=224416

TL,DR: Tiggs has not had much sleep in the past 72 hours. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:

I read that too.

Tragic set of circumstances. So goes the history of Fallen Earth. Massive server issues and internals problems on the release of their latest big attempt to save their leaking ship.

FE really, really needed this weekend to be smooth. I shudder when I think of the damage done to their new audience.

I consider myself a fan of this game. Bought it at launch, subbed for a while and now i'm back, in a guild and making another serious run at it. Kinda gives me a sad to see them stumble.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    I'm guessing you are Bartlebe or something like that on the FE forums? Because that sounds like a copy/paste from that thread.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Servers are back up. Made a new character since melee doesn't interest me anymore. Maybe I'll build tanky with a taste for shotguns.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:
    I'm guessing you are Bartlebe or something like that on the FE forums? Because that sounds like a copy/paste from that thread.

Yeah. Recycled my own content to post here.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote:

I read that too.

Tragic set of circumstances. So goes the history of Fallen Earth. Massive server issues and internals problems on the release of their latest big attempt to save their leaking ship.

FE really, really needed this weekend to be smooth. I shudder when I think of the damage done to their new audience.

I consider myself a fan of this game. Bought it at launch, subbed for a while and now i'm back, in a guild and making another serious run at it. Kinda gives me a sad to see them stumble.

Ah I don't think it's that big of a deal. People expect MMOs to be rocky at launch and even more so when they are F2P.

I lucked out and used the alienware key back when they announced it but never payed for after that. Since I did that I got a free spiked chopper key for absolutely nothing. I'm running around the wasteland as Lonesome Arizona if anyone else is out there.

I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Jack.skJack.sk Registered User regular
    I just made a Fallen Earth account because of this thread, though I wont have alot of time to play.
    If anyone is still playing this, add The Mullet to your friends list. Understand I have no idea how any of the game works beyond tutorial stuff though.