As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: this is the end...the end of SSG dog racing

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Speed, my first read was pretty much all in one go. I started reading in May during the hiatus prior to the Flip flash.

Act One does not read well at all, even all at once. It's not terrible, but the nature of the beast makes it hard to get into the thick of things so you stop giving a shit about John and cakes and oh who the fuck cares. I guess it's an investment because there are investments here that pay off in gags in later acts. But I had to give it three tries or so before I got into Homestuck for reals. Same with Problem Sleuth, and I read PS AFTER Homestuck. Same insane bullshit that goes on for a while, but inane bullshit is pretty much the plot of PS so maybe I'm being too critical there.

But I think the troll teases still work. It's more like dangling string in your face rapidly as opposed to making a joke about how long it's taking to get to those characters.

I also disagree that pre-Act 4 is all about jokes and horseshit and Act 5 is suddenly all bidness. Plenty of plot once Act One and a bit of Two are out of the way.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i really didn't like act 1

it took me to the end of it to actually like homestuck

2-4 were golden

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    01865.gif
    You push one of the nearby buttons. It activates the upper right monitor. The view is locked on to a particular location on Earth at a particular date and time.

Whoever was in the lab appears to have recently calibrated this device.
    I'm tempted to say it was John's Dad, though we'd be sure if he had left a note on the control panel saying
    JOHN,
    YOU'RE A REAL ECTOBIOLOGIST NOW.

I AM SO, SO PROUD OF YOU.

01869.gif
    The onomatopoeia in Homestuck is so great.

I'll post each ghost imprint in spoilers.
    So for those of you scoring at home, John's Grandma:
    01872_1.gif

01874_2.gif
    How did I just notice the name and symbol on the boat?

Grandpa Harley: 01876_1.gif

01879.gif
    Okay, seriously, how does he know to have a small pair of "outrageously awesome" shades?

Dave's bro: 01880_1.gif

01883.gif
    I went through the trouble of looking up how to spell "onomatopoeia", so I'm going to use it again, dammit.

Rose's mom: 01886_1.gif

01887.gif
    Okay, we're done here right?

WRONG.

01889_1.gif
    01890.gif
    I like how Dave has crowhair from the moment of his birth. Well, creation. Paradoxing cloning. Whatever, you get the idea.

01893.gif
    PORKHOLLOW NO :(

Meanwhile,
    An old man has much to do before he returns to Earth, dies, gets stuffed by his adopted-yet-biological daughter-slash-grand-daughter, and stuck in front of a fireplace.

Taking priority at the moment is shipping two passengers long overdue for a reunion.
    Before this I didn't know that the word "shipping" could mean "putting two fictional characters in a relationship". So, uh, thanks MSPA thread. I think.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    hey guys this is future cilla back from the 25th

the eoa flash was pretty great, just thought you all should know

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    act one is very funny

• Options
    act one is hilarious and the only reason I started reading the comic in the first place

• Options
    Act 1, to me, is sort of like a tutorial level in a game. You need it, but I was also able to cover it pretty quickly when doing this because I know the concepts now.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I wasn't really grabbed by Homestuck until this http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982

The text and the sound in the flash really set a mood that made me think "yeah, I'm gonna dig this"

• Options
    john accidentally shooting all the stuff out of his sylladex just struck me as so damn funny for reasons I can't explain

one of a few dozen times ever in my life where I've been unable to stop laughing

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I wasn't really grabbed by Homestuck until this http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001982

The text and the sound in the flash really set a mood that made me think "yeah, I'm gonna dig this"

Yea. Same here.

• Options
    EB: no, no, i mean the ghost stuff and paradoxes are one thing of course...
    EB: it's something else.
    EB: it's just...
    EB: this is really weird...
    CG: WHAT'S SO WEIRD ABOUT IT.
    EB: well, normally humans hatch...
    EB: from like these slimy pods.
    EB: then we wriggle out as a little pink larva.

CG: OH REALLY.
    CG: HUH, MAYBE WE HAVE MORE IN COMMON THAN I THOUGHT.
    Remember, the pranking MASTER.

01906.gif
    This is exactly why babies should not be allowed to dual-wield flintlock pistols.

EB: did you know nicolas cage was almost going to play superman one time?
    CG: OH MY THROBBING PHLEGM LOBE, WHO GIVES A BARFING FUCK ABOUT THAT.
    Yeah, for reals.

01911_2.gif
    Actually, I guess in the frog temple we get all available animal symbols? Also, spirographs.

01914_2.gif
    Remember, everything before the 1950's was in black and white.
    Eight days prior, the orphan girl was taken in by an aristocratic southern colonel and legendary humorist. He recovered the young lady from a crater where a bakery once stood, operated by the man's wife, a notable baked goods baroness.
    So the Batterwhich is married to Sassacre?

I would need to sit down, if I weren't already. And, uh, if I hadn't read this before.

01918.gif
    Oh, wait, this is why babies shouldn't be allowed to dual-wield flintlock pistols
    Thirteen years later, the boy develops a taste for adventure. He and his guardian bid farewell. His sister is sad. She will be left all alone with the wicked pastry baroness. She can handle it, he tells her. He believes in her.
    I think we covered this a few days ago, but yeah.

01926.gif
    And our question from EOA3 is answered.
    01927.gif
    Okay, I think I got how this thing works now. I thought it closed immediately after accepting an object.
    EB: who is jack noir?
    This reminds me: die-hard Homestuck fans, probably still less annoying than die-hard Ayn Rand fans. Also, we get an immediate answer.

EB: oh man, i just had THE BEST idea, this is so perfect.
    EB: a blonde mother and daughter together, this is totally perfect.
    CG: PERFECT FOR WHAT, FLEXING YOUR FORMIDABLE MENTAL HANDICAP LIKE A FUCKING HEAVYWEIGHT FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL MINUTES?
    CG: OH WAIT, LET ME CHECK, THE ANSWER IS YES.

EB: it is like that scene in con air, i will give her the bunny like i am nick cage fresh out of the slammer.
    CG: FUCK.
    EB: i wish i had a filthy wifebeater on, oh well.

CG: JUST...
    CG: AUGH.
    And so: [ S] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. I figure this was, more than anything else, a good way to get some comic relief in before the EOA.

01934.gif
    GC: D4V3 WH4TS 1T SM3LL L1K3
    TG: what
    GC: YOUR BLOOD
    I assume she is trying to get Dave's (Earth) goat here because she could instantly tell Davesprite smelled like orange creamsicles. It probably kind of works, because I kind of think these attempts to get back at her are kinda weak.
    TG: just him and me
    TG: havin a see party
    TG: like a couple of eagle eyed bros peepin shit up into the wee hours
    GC: D4V3
    GC: C4N 1 COM3 TO YOUR S33 P4RTY?

TG: i guess but youll have to be careful not to stumble around bumping into all the gorgeous masterpieces hanging around everywhere
    TG: god so beautiful to look at with my perfect eyesight
    GC: C4N 1 L1CK TH3 P41NT1NGS?
    TG: yeah thats fine
    AT: tHEN YOU SAID HE WAS ACTUALLY A PRETTY NICE GUY, wHICH i THOUGHT WAS WEIRD,
    GG: is he not a nice guy?
    AT: nOT, rEALLY,
    Tavros is really kind of useless in this conversation but this is pretty funny.
    GG: dream selves can die?
    AT: yEAH,
    GG: i never knew that
    GG: or even thought about it....
    GG: i guess it makes sense though
    Oh god dammit. I'm guessing someone really won the speculation lottery when EOA4 came out.
    GC: 4NYW4Y 1 DONT KNOW WH3R3 YOUR BRO 1S
    GC: 4S F4R 4S 1 C4N T3LL YOU N3V3R S33 H1M 4G41N B3TW33N NOW 4ND TH3 R1FT
    I guess she, just, like, missed that part? I'll try to remember this when I get there.
    GC: YOUR T34RS T4ST3 D3L1C1OUS
    GC: K1ND OF L1K3
    GC: L1K3 SOM3TH1NG YOU WOULDNT KNOW 4BOUT
    GC: 4 TROLL D3L1C4CY C4LL3D COTTON C4NDY
    TG: we have cotton candy dumpass
    GC: >8O

And on that bombshell, let's Descend.

• Options
    [ S] Descend.
    So probably the most important flash so far in Homestuck, presumably until the next one. If you're big on the numbers, the end of the flash reminds you that 5/31/2010 was day 413 of Homestuck. So, 612 days later we will hopefully get EOA5. Only one thing still bothers me, in that I haven't figured out how Dream Jade can throw Dream John clear of the Moon while not being able to save herself. Oh well.

Let's get up to the start of Act 5. That seems like a good place to stop.
    01942_2.gif
    I always liked "No one can tell me our fate can't be repaired." Also, she really did jump out of the way of a burning tree, it was pretty sweet.

01947_1.gif
    That turned out to be a pretty arduous journey in the end. (To get all the way there, I mean. Assuming it's the same castle where he finds his Dad dead, gets stabbed himself, etc.)

From a Homestuck thread long past, we killed time between updates by examining what our favorite panel was. Well:
    01949_1.gif
    You do not have a sword. You are quite sure it would never occur to you to carry a sword or resort to violence under any circumstance.

01953_1.gif
    If Hussie really wanted to mess with us, he could've just been like, "So, yeah, Homestuck was really just the tale of John getting his birthday present. The end!" Fortunately...

01955.gif
    Okay, if Scratch shenanigans do occur then I am pretty sure we are going to find out the business behind this whole "Jade's grandson" thing pretty soon.

This is the saddest page in Homestuck.

01961_1.gif
    I guess Jade never saw the bunny in its final form, otherwise she probably would've reacted to the suggestion to use Ahab's Crosshairs differently.

01968.gif
    That probably would've been pretty bad if John had been sent 413 years into the future, eh?

01976_2.gif
    Oh, right, that key.

01987.gif
    There's some more stuff about The Ring, but I should probably stop here.

Up next: Hivebent! I think the beginning should go pretty quickly.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Speed, my first read was pretty much all in one go. I started reading in May during the hiatus prior to the Flip flash.

Act One does not read well at all, even all at once. It's not terrible, but the nature of the beast makes it hard to get into the thick of things so you stop giving a shit about John and cakes and oh who the fuck cares. I guess it's an investment because there are investments here that pay off in gags in later acts. But I had to give it three tries or so before I got into Homestuck for reals. Same with Problem Sleuth, and I read PS AFTER Homestuck. Same insane bullshit that goes on for a while, but inane bullshit is pretty much the plot of PS so maybe I'm being too critical there.

But I think the troll teases still work. It's more like dangling string in your face rapidly as opposed to making a joke about how long it's taking to get to those characters.

I also disagree that pre-Act 4 is all about jokes and horseshit and Act 5 is suddenly all bidness. Plenty of plot once Act One and a bit of Two are out of the way.

well yeah

when people complain about the pacing problems in HS they are usually talking about act 5

I don't think anyone disagrees that act 1 starts off very slow

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    You have a feeling it's going to be a long day.
    Yeah I guess so.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    my guesstimate puts current homestuck elapsed time around 36 hours

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    they there's 24 hours between the beginning of the reckoning and the tumor exploding

and yeah probably somewhere between 4 and 12 hours prior to that

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Really? Damn

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Really? Damn

it seems like longer because even though time skips around a lot, very little time is actually left unaccounted for

you go through John's adventure pretty much moment for moment

• Options
    Dave has, however, lived months due to all the time jumping.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:

well

Davesprite has

Alpha Dave has only been around a few days

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Jade has probably only been conscious about two (2) and a quarter (.25) minutes

• Options
    Girl is quick on the uptake

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:

well

Davesprite has

Kanaya mentions that Jade's frog-quest would take several week's worth of stable time loops if she wanted to finish before the Scratch, so it wouldn't be out of the question. Also there were thirteen Daves, for a while. Dude's been busy.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    YggiDee wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

well

Davesprite has

Kanaya mentions that Jade's frog-quest would take several week's worth of stable time loops if she wanted to finish before the Scratch, so it wouldn't be out of the question. Also there were thirteen Daves, for a while. Dude's been busy.

Yeah, and after all his stock market shenanigans, he's hardly unfamiliar with leaping back and forth across the timeline.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    I am almost positive that Dave said he'd been timejumping for a lengthy period of time.

Maybe it was Davesprite.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ASimPerson wrote:
    If you're big on the numbers, the end of the flash reminds you that 5/31/2010 was day 413 of Homestuck.

For those who were not caught up before Act 4 ended, the last flash was not actually added on May 31st. That page was, but it was a placeholder because Andrew wasn't done with the flash, yet. It seemed like it was a few days into June, maybe a week, before the flash actually went up.

Just FYI.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Alpha timeline Dave said he has only been doing stuff for three daves

Alternate Timeline Doomed Daves can be from any point in the future

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Doesn't matter so much anymore but the progress bar moved to 81%

I wonder how the fandom will react if he hits 100 a few days before the 25th

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    they'll be terrible, as per usuall

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    I'd figure that even if he does finish early he'll put the progress bar at 99%

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    all these flashbacks are reminding me of that fucking pogo minigame

• Options
    Hah the pogo minigame

Also, re: complacency of the learned

Hussie said a while ago that it was supposed to represent how the trolls existed on the subconscious of humans, the same way Superman does. It's about 12 powerful young wizards that fuck everything up, and their 12 elder wizards that go on a quest to stop them. Maybe a reference to the trolls' Scratch?

• Options
    It is a warning

we are going to need more wands

• Options
    I laughed for a good five minutes straight the first time I read that

• Options
    Given how every other single thing Hussie's made has made some kinda cameo in homestuck, I'm surprised neither rose nor her mom have a copy of Wizardology sitting around somewhere

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i am one of those fans for whom act 5 is basically the whole point of the entire enterprise

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    what no act 1 was the best

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    the middle third of act 4 is literally the only part of homestuck worth reading

broken image link
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i think a good 75% of people reading homestuck for the first time get ten pages into act one and go, oh this is just a dumb internet thing, pass

certainly i did

This discussion has been closed.