As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...Also AP Bio, The Mick, and Mythic Quest

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah I found the time bending to be pretty funny. them playing themselves was funny off the bat but the 60s becoming the 70s, the untold amount of time away from home... the fact that at some point dennis and dee's mom should have entered the picture haha

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    First stinker of the season. Each season gets one (although Season 6 was pretty fantastic from beginning to end). Definitely a weak episode that could have easily done more with the concept.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Cant think of a bigger let down for a Sunny Episode. Oh well. Still had some moments. Mainly anything the gang said was great. Their lack of comfort with race relations back then was fantastic.

"Those were the days"
    "You seem like you are longing for those days!"
    "No, Im just saying those WERE the days."

"The love of your life was a young black girl named Shadynasty?"
    "What, is there something wrong with that?"
    "No, no theres nothing wrong with that."
    "It IS a little strange."

I also enjoyed making hoagies in your mouth.

And Charlie being a bit of a hopless romantic.

616610-1.png
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I can appreciate doing something different creatively, but it was pretty light on the actual funny. Still had some good moments, though.

Also, Jon Polito is awesome and I was excited to see him possibly interact with the Gang, but then he spent almost the entirety of the episode in the flashback. Hope they have him back actually doing something in the present.

Captain Tragedy on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Pretty weak episode I thought. Frank was brought in during the second season to add star power, but now I think Charlie does that well enough, not to mention the rest of the gang. The Frank character often has the most outlandish of all plots and stories and really kills a lot of the funny for me.

I know I have the unpopular opinion here but it's how I feel. I am not going to stop watching on some lame boycott or anything like that.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I enjoyed it a bit, but it all felt like a less successful version of "Who Got Dee Pregnant?". There's still a lot of potential in having the gang tell stories, though.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    God, poor Reggie.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I loved this episode, but Frank is my favorite character, so there's that. I love Frank playing a naive, innocent version of himself when the story gets started. And I love seeing him just go to town on all that blow. And how Shadynasty doesn't choose Frank or his brother, but she just says "Drugs. I choose drugs." And I really want to buy that SHADYNASTY pink neon sign. So awesome! It wasn't as good as "who got Dee pregnant?" but the sitcom staple of "everyone remembers a story slightly differently" is my alltime favorite sitcom gag, so I'm a sucker for those episodes.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    I also find Frank to be the weakest character, and enjoy the episodes he has no or little part in. I truly think the gang is where the strength is, and primarily the 3 guys.

Podly wrote:
    I loved this episode, but Frank is my favorite character, so there's that. I love Frank playing a naive, innocent version of himself when the story gets started. And I love seeing him just go to town on all that blow. And how Shadynasty doesn't choose Frank or his brother, but she just says "Drugs. I choose drugs." And I really want to buy that SHADYNASTY pink neon sign. So awesome! It wasn't as good as "who got Dee pregnant?" but the sitcom staple of "everyone remembers a story slightly differently" is my alltime favorite sitcom gag, so I'm a sucker for those episodes.

agreed, and I think the ending was perfect

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I thought the best gag was everyone being surprised that Frank was 19.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I feel bad saying this, seeing as I started this thread and all, but I think that was my least favorite episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    it would've helped if Shadynasty wasn't an old joke/urban myth already

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    really?

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    http://www.kenwords.com/2010/07/princess-shady-nasty.html

It's the kind of story that a friend heard from "a friend's friend's mom whose a kindergarten teacher", basically

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    That episode was great, some of you are just resistant to variety, apparently. It reminded me of the more backstory-heavy Archer episodes focusing on one character. Sure, it wasn't as asphyxiatingly funny as some other episodes, but seeing part of Frank's journey towards the disgusting lowlife he is today was welcome (the only thing I was confused about is whether the club was supposed to have eventually become Paddy's). The cinematography, set dressing, and costumes that went into the different time periods were actually quite good, and if laughing at Danny Devito playing a naive 19-year-old who gets hooked on Colombian coke and 60's racial tensions is wrong, I don't want to be right. If you were paying any attention, this was an absurdist tragedy with comedic trappings, somewhat different from a usual Sunny episode, where the characters are too sociopathic to experience much tragedy, but that doesn't mean it was bad. Watching Louie would probably kill you people dead.

ED! wrote:
    First stinker of the season. Each season gets one (although Season 6 was pretty fantastic from beginning to end).
    You're an insane person, the opening "Mac Fights Gay Marriage"/"Dennis Gets Divorced" duo were some of the weakest episodes of the series. That whole season is the one I'd rate lowest overall (looking back, it was probably due to reliance on outside writers), but this one is much better so far.

Wandering Idiot on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The club is almost certainly not Paddy's, because the gang bought it before Frank was brought in.

you are actually both crazy

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Not my favourite episode (don't really like Frank much as a character, though occasionally he really shines) but not bad.

Erik
    edited October 2011
    Watching Louie would probably kill you people dead.

I've watched Louie since the very first episode aired for the very first time, am still very much alive and I still didn't like this episode

EXPLAIN THAT

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I wasn't a huge fan of the episode but I fell over laughing when I realized how Shadynasty was spelled.

edit: dang it was an urban legend already?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    y2jake215 wrote:
    Watching Louie would probably kill you people dead.

I've watched Louie since the very first episode aired for the very first time, am still very much alive and I still didn't like this episode

EXPLAIN THAT

If Bill O'Reilly and the Insane Clown Posse have taught me nothing else, it's that the inexplicable is always due to Jesus.

What I'm saying is, your bizarre television opinions can only be the result of Ancient Jewish Magicks.

And how did the gang afford to buy Paddy's, anyway? I forget whatever backstory they mentioned in the first season. Dee and Dennis never got Frank's money, so I guess they all took out loans or something?

Wandering Idiot on
    They just.. had it. I forget why. Charlie was originally a part-owner too, for some reason. I think he sold his share for a sandwich

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    wait, people think the first season is weak?

he sold a lot of shares for various reasons

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I also loved how the gang let them fight and then dennis was so casual about Frank not being their father. They are so sociopathic that they could care less about having family relationships.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sry, DP'ed this bitch

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    Wishpig wrote:
    Strika wrote:

I think the first season is weak because Frank adds so much to the gang. I can't watch pre-Frank episodes. It's like Sienfeld without Kramer.

As for the newest episode I think it was ok. I liked the change of pace and, though it had very few belly laughing moments, those few it had were awesome (the "those were the days" and Franks time in South America were great!)

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

I think they are stronger without Frank, all he does is give them more storylines to explore, in which he will ultimately lessen the funny

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Wishpig wrote:
    Wishpig wrote:
    Strika wrote:

I think the first season is weak because Frank adds so much to the gang. I can't watch pre-Frank episodes. It's like Sienfeld without Kramer.

As for the newest episode I think it was ok. I liked the change of pace and, though it had very few belly laughing moments, those few it had were awesome (the "those were the days" and Franks time in South America were great!)

In my opinion the first season is definitely the weakest. The guys are missing most of the quirks and character details that make them so much fun to watch, and most of the time are just generic douchebags. I also feel like the writing in general really improved from the second season on. I still regularly watch and enjoy the first season, but it doesn't hold up to the others.

Strika wrote:
    I think they are stronger without Frank, all he does is give them more storylines to explore, in which he will ultimately lessen the funny

You may be the first person I know who dislikes Frank. It's actually Charlie who grates on my nerves sometimes, but ultimately I enjoy Charlie more than I dislike him.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    this episode was not terribly good, but it was okay

the only unwatchable episode for me is The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell

that has one of my favorite scenes ever

frank and charlie testing the guns by pointing them at each other, and they each pose when they're about to be shot at.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    The reggie scenes were best

I guess that don't leave me with no choice ... but to be a mature-ass adult about dis shit

• RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    It was an okay episode. I'm more than willing to allow them to do more episodes that are in a different format, if only so it gives them something fresh to do.

!
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I don't understand how anyone could not enjoy "The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell". It's one of my favorite episodes.

I think Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell does what this one tries to do, only successfully

Frank: Maybe she used her sorcery.
    Dee: Sorcery? Your dumb-dick partner walked into the bar, and said he'd stolen a bunch of guns, and asked if I wanted to shoot a pumpkin off his head, and of course I did, so here we are.
    Frank: Damn your necromancy woman!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    this episode was not terribly good, but it was okay

the only unwatchable episode for me is The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell

Yes! Thank you! It's the only episode I turned off halfway through. It was just awful.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I watched it all but it's the only episode I haven't watched twice. Certainly my least favourite episode too.

And glad I'm not the only one who likes Frank least of all the characters.

Erik
    I find all of this shocking