As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Hookup: Comics Deals, Sales, Giveaways, Etc.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote:
    RightStuf.com (which seems to primarily sell anime) is having a sale on DC animated stuff (both DCAU and not).

So, like, Batman Beyond at $14 per season. Teen Titans at $10 per season. JLA/U at $22 per season.

I can't vouch for the site (never used it before today), but the recommendation came from a friend who buys a lot of anime, and she seemed to trust it. So, I bought basically all the DCAU + Teen Titans stuff they had on sale.

No idea how long this sale will last.

For the first time in a couple years I was actually browsing that site last night. It's a sale on all the western animation they carry, so it also applies to things like the Looney Toons collector sets.

And yeah, they're more legit than legit. They're one of the oldest anime stores on the web, they're massive, extremely trustworthy, and they're so big and established that they have their own localization and release studio that dubs, subtitles, and publishes older anime series that have either fallen out of licensing agreements or have been ignored by studios like Funimation.

Back when I was into anime, I ordered from them all the time. But I can only afford one massive hobby at a time, and I switched to comics.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote:
    The Borders that I live near is going out of business (along with the rest in the country apparently) and they have all the comics and manga marked 40% off. I picked up Hickman's SHIELD hardcover along with the first three trades of Secret Warriors, Secret Avengers volume 2 hardcover, and volume 7 of the Mighty Thor Jurgens reprints. Regarding the Thor reprints I'm hoping I can find the rest for half off at DragonCon.

Mine is/was a flagship store, because I live in the area where Borders was founded. Their stock wasn't nearly that awesome, but in the last two-three weeks I've picked up a bunch of stuff at or below Amazon's usual prices: Pax Romana, Siege, New Avengers Vol 2 Trade 1, Thor The Mighty Avenger Vol 1, Thor Siege Aftermath, Punisher vs Marvel Universe, and Captain America Hail Hydra.

Unfortunately, they haven't been replenishing their graphic novels as much because most of those orders have to go through diamond and there's not much warehouse stock for them. If you guys are going to go look, go now.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    http://www.thwipster.com/

Omnibus sale - Ghost Rider and Secret Wars stand out

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Those are some great deals.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh, shit, that's hot. I just ordered the Ghost Rider one, but now I'm thinking about grabbing the Captain America one as well. On a scale of 1 to Buy It, how would you guys rate that omnibus?

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Buy it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Am I missing something on that site? It's showing Absolute Death as the comic deal.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    It has multiple deals today

Scroll down

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Am I missing something on that site? It's showing Absolute Death as the comic deal.
    http://www.thwipster.com/#omnibus

Ok, it wasn't loading the bottom right away, I guess they're getting some traffic.

Balefuego wrote:
    Buy it

Oh.

OK.

Done.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    That Ghost Rider omnibus is spectacular and everyone should buy it.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Warren Ellis week for thwipster, but GODDAMNIT BUY NEXTWAVE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

http://www.thwipster.com/products/nextwave-agents-of-h-a-t-e-ultimate-collection

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    Top shelf is having another big sale to fund the ir projects for the rest of the year. Lots of cheap comics there.
    http://topshelfcomix.com/specialdeals

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Edit: double post

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    Thwipster has volumes 1-10 of DMZ for $79.99 for two more days (at the time of this writing).

Is DMZ good? I keep hearing praises, but I've never read it, and really don't know a whole lot about it in general.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    It's pretty great, yeah.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I used to read it. Then some idiot ruined the comic for me about the same time I could no longer find it amusing.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    HELL YEAH my built up Amazon reward points got me the last two Secret Warriors collections I needed at less than $5 for BOTH.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1613771266/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1600107168&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HT63DJRAEF4ME6EQP72
    42 percent off the last stand of the wreckers hardcover preorder, takes it down to about 18 bucks. that's less than the trade paperback when it came out.

Antimatter on
    thwipster has Marvel Masterworks hardcovers 70% off this weekend only!

that means books that are normally $50 are only $15!

check it! http://www.thwipster.com/

• Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The shop I get my comics from is www.ComicBreak.com The man who runs it(Nasser Rodriguez) is local to me here in San Antonio and besides offering the best discounts I've seen online, he also facilitates a local bi-weekly meet-up in town for the local customers to pick-up their comics and shoot the breeze about what we've been reading for a few hours. Website is easy to navigate, and ordering is a snap(especially when it means 30% off on all new stuff).

From the website:

"1. Save Money

30% off cover price on monthly preorders from the Previews Catalog(the way I order, and is totally easy to do)
    Up to 20% off cover price on subscriptions. This option is for customers who don’t want to worry about placing a monthly order
    30% off cover price on Graphic Novels & Trade Paperbacks
    45% off cover price on our Book of the Month Club selection

2. Convenience

Have your comics delivered right to your door. Weekly, Bi-Weekly or Monthly delivery available.
    Weekly email listing what comics arrived for you.
    Previews Catalog available as a downloadable pdf every month.
    Mobile version of our store for shopping on your mobile device."

Definitely check the site out if you're interested in stretching your comic moniez.

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
    Thwipster has Absolute All-Star Superman for $57 and Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev Ultimate Collection: Book 1 and Book 2 for $19 each.

Is that Daredevil run worth buying? I heard good things, but I've been spending a lot of money on comics lately...

Bendis' DD run is the best book he's written to date, and the best DD run period. He wrote gritty but not completely bleak like Brubaker did, and Bendis-speak worked for how he structured the stories. He also has one of the better DD/Bullseye fights in his run.

Just for reference, to me the best DD runs were:
    Bendis
    Nocenti
    Miller
    Kesel/Kelly
    Chichester

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Looks like there may be another round of Amazon.com glitches.

The Fear Itself Hardcover is 48% off and the X-Men: Schism Hardcover is also 48% off. Both are pre-orders so if you get them checked out now Amazon will honor the price when it comes time to ship them.

RedDelicious on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    hrm.

Antimatter on
    The DC solicitations confirm that the Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Volume 1 hardcover is mis-priced on Amazon.com (currently 61% off). If you're a fan of the classics you should strike soon.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Are we allowed to push our own junk in here?

steam_sig-400.png
    If it's on sale I don't see why not!

Well I'm selling a bunch of stuff on ebay super cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/edwardwilfred/m.html?item=250933818109&sspagename=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Lots of Green Lantern and Batman stuff and the first 3 volumes of The Unwritten.

steam_sig-400.png
    edited November 2011
    RT @Remender: TFAW has almost every Fear Agent trade and comic at a crazy 70% off - http://t.co/AOkG20rw

Oh my God.
    RT @thwipster: Daily Deal: @IDWPublishing Parker: The Martini Edition for 46% off. Parker's a mean man: http://t.co/CynUDnao

My birthday's next week, so I know what I'm getting myself.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2011
    Thwipster went from "store that I don't visit because their deals are not much better than Amazon's" to "oh my god just take my whole paycheck."

Case in point: a ton of Marvel Omnibuses for 50% off
    http://www.thwipster.com/pages/omnibus

I can't tell you how not good a thing this is for me, because I want at least three of those damn things. So long, money!

Edit: I guess "a ton" isn't really correct, since there are only ten of them on sale. But you know what? By weight, it's getting close to a ton.

Delduwath on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote:
    Thwipster went from "store that I don't visit because their deals are not much better than Amazon's" to "oh my god just take my whole paycheck."

Case in point: a ton of Marvel Omnibuses for 50% off
    http://www.thwipster.com/pages/omnibus

I can't tell you how not good a thing this is for me, because I want at least three of those damn things. So long, money!

Edit: I guess "a ton" isn't really correct, since there are only ten of them on sale. But you know what? By weight, it's getting close to a ton.

umm... that brubaker cap run is supposed to be good, yeah?

It's really good. I bought the omnibus a while ago.

• TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    which one(s)?

edited December 2011
    I bought the volume 1 omnibus, plus the Burden of Dreams, Man Who Bought America, and Man With No Face trades.

Brubaker writes good spy drama. If you like more swashbuckling type hero work, it might not be your thing though.

Centipede Damascus on
    Hey @Herojoe, if I buy more than one of your comics, is there any chance the shipping could be reduced? Just asking.

TyrantCow wrote:
    umm... that brubaker cap run is supposed to be good, yeah?

It's amazing. I've never cared about Captain America one way or the other, but I got the first omnibus a few months ago (the one that collects issues #1-25) and could not put it down. It's incredibly well-plotted. No character or action feels wasted, everything builds on everything else, and you get the feeling that Brubaker knew exactly what story he wanted to tell going in - it doesn't feel at all like he had to grope around halfway through to find his way. I guess it's possible that the story goes off the rails after issue #25, but you can get just the first omnibus and still feel like you got a complete story, I think.

I ended up buying the second Brubaker Cap omnibus at this Thwipster sale, as well as Simonson's Thor (also picked up vol. 4 of Absolute Sandman from the holiday sale, which is the last one I was missing). All-in-all, a staggering amount of money down the comic book drain.

edited December 2011
    I agree with the Skrull. It's actually a pretty cool finale if you read it like the end. Kind of a downer, but only because the story you get in your head of what happens when Cap's friends and "family" retaliate, in classic Brubaker style, just couldn't happen in the Marvel U.

I could seriously see Fury, Barnes, Logan, et al. unleashing unholy Hell on the Skull and everyone who ever allied with him. Shit, that'd have made a great What If?

Crimsondude on