As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitty-Two, Mo'fuggas!

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Servo wrote:
    am I the only one who just realized today that question, booster, and montoya are batman superman and ww analogues

because i felt like a dumbass when that occurred to me

I just made a long, "Ohhhhhhh..." sound.

Lux on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Have you considered the possibility that Booster is acting this way because his records are telling him to? I would guarantee we see him wrestling with this at some point.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Well, week one's pretty good, but Booster seems to have had any character growth in the past ten years or so thrown out the window, and he's basically just acting like a glory-hounding dick. Besides that though, it's a pretty strong start.

What the hell are you talking about? He's always been a jerk. A lovable, commercial whore. Even as he matured and mellowed, he still had those qualities. I wouldn't want Booster any other way. Seems like you have ten years worth of rereading to do.

Yes, Booster's been a sellout and a schemer since his introduction to the DCU, but he was never a dick like he's behaving now. When Doomsday put Ted into a coma and most of the League into the hospital, Booster was pretty somber for a while, and recently he was shown to be taking himself more seriously, following his blunders in the two most recent Superbuddy mini-series, and Ted's death in Countdown and the fallout during OMAC. For him to be so happy-go-lucky just a few weeks after his best friend's death, or to make a bit of a mockery of Superboy's as he did, just doesn't seem like Booster to me.

I don't want emo Booster by any means, just one who acts a bit consistent across his most recent appearances. It doesn't make sense to me that they continuity wave out some goofy shit about him, ie Gladys, and then say, "Gee! Look at how wacky and shallow this guy is! Wokka wokka!"

Edit: The issue was still good, I just don't think Booster was acting as he would be after recent events. I did enjoy his freakout at the end though. You could really feel how distressed he was. I'm just still a little sore over how Booster was treated in Infinite Crisis. When his big moment came he was relegated to watching the van, so to speak.

Munch on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Steel seems to be the Superman analogue. Booster is Booster. It seems to be Steel, Question and Black Adam for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Booster, Renee and Ralph are the three "flawed" heroes.

that's more how it seemed to me, too

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Week 1, Day 5, first panel:

[spoiler:1724bb8d2b]It's the corner of Siegel and Shuster[/spoiler:1724bb8d2b]

[spoiler:1724bb8d2b]the bus also has an advertisement for Fleicher something or other, which was Superman's animation studio back in the 30's. there's something else on that page too I forgot about, but I don't have my copy on me[/spoiler:1724bb8d2b]

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    How'd Booster get Skeets back when he was all in little itty bits and pieces?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    How'd Booster get Skeets back when he was all in little itty bits and pieces?

Went to the future and brought him back. As for how he got to the future, who the fuck knows?

Munch on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    So he stole ANOTHER security bot? :roll:

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Week 1, Day 5, first panel:

[spoiler:5ddce881a7]It's the corner of Siegel and Shuster[/spoiler:5ddce881a7]

[spoiler:5ddce881a7]the bus also has an advertisement for Fleicher something or other, which was Superman's animation studio back in the 30's. there's something else on that page too I forgot about, but I don't have my copy on me[/spoiler:5ddce881a7]
    [spoiler:5ddce881a7]Theres a hotdog stand that says "Hot Didogs" which is referencing DC EIC Dan Didio, and the the firemen that help Steel are from Dept. 52. [/spoiler:5ddce881a7]

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Steel seems to be the Superman analogue. Booster is Booster. It seems to be Steel, Question and Black Adam for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Booster, Renee and Ralph are the three "flawed" heroes.

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense. Steel, Question, and Adam are pretty much the most similar characters to the big three in the DCU. Booster, Renee, and Ralph try hard to be like the big three, but they can't because of their personalities.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    i guess we'll just see then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    in my summary I forgot to mention

[spoiler:e5ab19dc75]Dr. Sivana is apparently keeping tabs on the Marvel family and talking to a worm that is apparently Mr. Mind.[/spoiler:e5ab19dc75]

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    issue 2 and 3 summaries will be up tomorrow.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I cannot stress how awesome I found issue two, especially the Montoya/Question interactions.

[spoiler:ee619d78af]"I shot you."
    "Are you sure?"
    "Pretty sure."[/spoiler:ee619d78af]

I can honestly say, as subplot ridden as 52 is already, there's not a single bit that doesn't appeal to me. And if the Red Inferno doesn't appear at some point, I will be so very pissed.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    summaries are up for 2 and 3.

Black Adam is one violent motherfucker.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Thoughts on Week 3: Black "The Dude Has Got No Mercy" Adam is great. Booster Gold is going to end up getting someone killed with his showboating, and I keep hoping to see him in a quiet, non-public moment. Overall the flow was much better, and felt more balanced in how it juggled characters, but the lack of the Question and Ralph Dibny kind of sucked.

Oh, and Didio's little column in the back is still a waste of paper.

Munch on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    Munch wrote:
    but the lack of the Question and Ralph Dibny kind of sucked.

I'm guessing that as the subplots multiply and mingle, we'll be seeing more of a focus per issue (like Steel and Black Adam this time, while next week will probably Question/Montoya stuff, and so on)

It's a great comic so far. They just have to keep up the quality.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    but the lack of the Question and Ralph Dibny kind of sucked.

I'm guessing that as the subplots multiply and mingle, we'll be seeing more of a focus per issue (like Steel and Black Adam this time, while next week will probably Question/Montoya stuff, and so on)

It's a great comic so far. They just have to keep up the quality.
    Yeah, I think theyre going to switch off storylines every other issue. Which is probably the best way to do it with 22 pages per ish. I really want more of Ralph's story, though.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited May 2006
    This should be mentioned in the OP. It has fake news articles based on the events that happen each week. And the Premiums section has some great downloads.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    So after reading the newest one, Fram goes to set it down and we had this conversation.

F: Man, Lex Luthor is a douchebag.
    Me: What?
    F: I said, Lex Luthor is a douchebag.
    Me: Oh. I thought you said, "Lex Luthor is a huge fag."

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006
    BiggNife wrote:

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense. Steel, Question, and Adam are pretty much the most similar characters to the big three in the DCU. Booster, Renee, and Ralph try hard to be like the big three, but they can't because of their personalities.

man, but on the cover of 52 #1, there's batman's cowl, superman's cape, and wonder woman's junk, and standing behind the pile is question, renee, and booster

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2006
    poke

Whippy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2006
    I couldn't afford all the monthlies I wanted (and my shop never got enough), so I've cut it down to just 52 every week, and I'm not regretting it.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    poke

Venom looks like he's rocking out to my music. Thats pretty cool.

Oh, and from what I've read (havn't got #3 yet), 52 is awesome. Though I don't read many DC books, so a lot of it is lost on me.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I gotta say I'm really liking Black Adam in 52 so far...reminds me a lot of Doctor Doom.

[spoiler:4053ac49b2]And also the fact that he has horribly mutilated somebody everytime we've seen him.[/spoiler:4053ac49b2]

Although I'm really not liking Natasha and her bitchery. Although the constant owanage that Steel gives her every time makes up for it. I just really hope that she's not gonna be around every time we see Steel. Cause I think we get the point that you have to earn your way in life and stuff.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Just finished week four, and still enjoying it. I do think Booster is going to lose it in the next week or so..big time.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    manaleak34 wrote:
    I gotta say I'm really liking Black Adam in 52 so far...reminds me alot of Doctor Doom.

[spoiler:c79a6828b7]And also the fact that he has horribly mutilated somebody everytime we've seen him.[/spoiler:c79a6828b7]

Although I'm really not liking Natasha and her bitchery. Although the constant owanage that Steel gives her every time makes up for it. I just really hope that she's not gonna be around every time we see Steel. Cause I think we get the point that you have to earn your way in life and stuff.

A lot is a phrase, not a word.

I have been kind of sort of following Black Adam, and he really comes off more like Namor than anything, at least to me. Doom seems a lot more over the top evil/crazy than anything I have seen Black Adam do... Doom has done some really terrible things. Didn't he sell his mother to Satan or something, and then save her only to make something out of her skin?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    manaleak34 wrote:
    I gotta say I'm really liking Black Adam in 52 so far...reminds me alot of Doctor Doom.

[spoiler:dca0f4342a]And also the fact that he has horribly mutilated somebody everytime we've seen him.[/spoiler:dca0f4342a]

A lot is a phrase, not a word.

I have been kind of sort of following Black Adam, and he really comes off more like Namor than anything, at least to me. Doom seems a lot more over the top evil/crazy than anything I have seen Black Adam do... Doom has done some really terrible things. Didn't he sell his mother to Satan or something, and then save her only to make something out of her skin?

No, Doom saved his mother from hell by making her renounce her love for him. He had demons make enchanted armor out of the skin of his childhood girlfriend.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    No, Doom saved his mother from hell by making her renounce her love for him. He had demons make enchanted armor out of the skin of his childhood girlfriend.

!

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

!

yeah, he's a fucking badass.

one time, he controlled the world, and the avengers tried to stop him, and instead of nerve gassing the lot of them like he could have, he let them win because he was bored.

that's how Doom rolls, bitches.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Doom is not evil, he just believeshe's the best person to rule the world and sve humanity.

He's also kinda right.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    So, 52 Week Four was pretty good. We found out that the Question is a little bit of a D&D and/or Gauntlet nerd, and got to see Booster do something besides act smug for the cameras and wonder why history's fucking up. It was nice to see him get isntantly defensive and angry as soon as Ted was mentioned. Ralph's characterization's kind of bothering me though. It seems to be all over the place since Identity Crisis, and he seems to be a little too 'hard boiled" right now. But it's understandable with what he's gone through.

Munch on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Munch wrote:
    So, 52 Week Four was pretty good. We found out that the Question is a little bit of a D&D and/or Gauntlet nerd, and got to see Booster do something besides act smug for the cameras and wonder why history's fucking up. It was nice to see him get isntantly defensive and angry as soon as Ted was mentioned. Ralph's characterization's kind of bothering me though. It seems to be all over the place since Identity Crisis, and he seems to be a little too 'hard boiled" right now. But it's understandable with what he's gone through.

[spoiler:817ad8d74c]Elf needs food badly.[/spoiler:817ad8d74c]

So badass.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Doom is not evil, he just believeshe's the best person to rule the world and sve humanity.

He's also kinda right.

I would have no problem living under Dooms rule, hell i think he should own Google

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    This week's 52 was kind of disappointing. Not much happened beyond showing what happened to the heroes who were in space. Also, they killed off [spoiler:967acc55fa]Red Tornado.[/spoiler:967acc55fa] I mean shit, they just brought him back with a new look not too long ago, so I was really hoping they might do something cool with him. This week's issue did flow a lot better though, with less of the bouncing around between the main seven characters.

Munch on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2006
    Munch wrote:
    This week's 52 was kind of disappointing. Not much happened beyond showing what happened to the heroes who were in space. Also, they killed off [spoiler:4548e7c9dc]Red Tornado.[/spoiler:4548e7c9dc] I mean shit, they just brought him back with a new look not too long ago, so I was really hoping they might do something cool with him. This week's issue did flow a lot better though, with less of the bouncing around between the main seven characters.

[spoiler:4548e7c9dc]You really don't think he's dead, do you?[/spoiler:4548e7c9dc]

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    This week's 52 was kind of disappointing. Not much happened beyond showing what happened to the heroes who were in space. Also, they killed off [spoiler:24fead4905]Red Tornado.[/spoiler:24fead4905] I mean shit, they just brought him back with a new look not too long ago, so I was really hoping they might do something cool with him. This week's issue did flow a lot better though, with less of the bouncing around between the main seven characters.

[spoiler:24fead4905]You really don't think he's dead, do you?[/spoiler:24fead4905]

[spoiler:24fead4905]No kidding...Red Tornado has been blown to bits plenty of times before. Just read 52 Week 2...Doctor Magnus tells T.O. Morrow that Tornado sacrificed himself..to which he replies "Tssk..Why does he have to keep doing that?" He'll be back. [/spoiler:24fead4905]

Another great issue though.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    This week's 52 was kind of disappointing. Not much happened beyond showing what happened to the heroes who were in space. Also, they killed off [spoiler:6e570820a5]Red Tornado.[/spoiler:6e570820a5] I mean shit, they just brought him back with a new look not too long ago, so I was really hoping they might do something cool with him. This week's issue did flow a lot better though, with less of the bouncing around between the main seven characters.

[spoiler:6e570820a5]You really don't think he's dead, do you?[/spoiler:6e570820a5]

[spoiler:6e570820a5]I think it's a bit trickier with him having a lot of his body parts scattered across a remote corner of space or stuck inside the Herald. I'm pretty sure he'll be back in some form or another, but the chance that he won't be back still just irks me.[/spoiler:6e570820a5]

Munch on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Geebs wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    This week's 52 was kind of disappointing. Not much happened beyond showing what happened to the heroes who were in space. Also, they killed off [spoiler:1a29cf5138]Red Tornado.[/spoiler:1a29cf5138] I mean shit, they just brought him back with a new look not too long ago, so I was really hoping they might do something cool with him. This week's issue did flow a lot better though, with less of the bouncing around between the main seven characters.

[spoiler:1a29cf5138]You really don't think he's dead, do you?[/spoiler:1a29cf5138]

[spoiler:1a29cf5138]I think it's a bit trickier with him having a lot of his body parts scattered across a remote corner of space or stuck inside the Herald. I'm pretty sure he'll be back in some form or another, but the chance that he won't be back still just irks me.[/spoiler:1a29cf5138]

[spoiler:1a29cf5138]Probably they'll bring in that Red Inferno they mentioned.[/spoiler:1a29cf5138]

Lux on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    What about Adam, Buddy and Starfire stranded on a tropical planet? Do you have any idea how many porno's start with that same premise? I smell a good spin off "series..."

Bad Karma on
This discussion has been closed.