As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Patient Zero - Story-driven Convention Game - Updated 8/10

staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Changed Earth: Patient Zero
Patient Zero is a story-driven game designed for medium to large conventions. In the games story, you will play an Agent allied with a corporate government called a Faction. Your faction will assign you missions to eliminate threats (rival players) and help you gain vital information on the events of the game.

As you accomplish missions and gain information, you'll receive new abilities that can make you stronger or perform tasks more efficiently. Combine your information together in different ways to discover new information that will lead you further into the Patient Zero storyline.

How it works
Patient Zero works on the same principles as many convention games, specifically Assassins and the PAX variant PAXassins. In Assassins, you are given a targets name and image, and tasked with finding that person and performing some action once you do that signifies an attack or kill. In many variations, you take upon your defeated targets target, which starts the process again.

The game play in Patient Zero is similar. A player receives a mission on his phone and though email, which describes a specific action they must take to complete the mission. Once a mission is complete, a new mission is designated, and so on.

The difference is the story. Every mission you receive in Patient Zero has a purpose in the story, and completing missions will directly benefit you and your team. As you complete missions, you will learn information that reveal key points to the story and unlock new missions. Information from different fields can be combined together as Research, which create new pieces of information as well as abilities for your character or team to use.

Show off!
Players who have already created their characters can now show off their faction and team affiliations in banner form! Simply plug the VR# for your character in the address below to show off your alter ego. Help us spread the word by linking it to http://phenixone.com so we can have a great game by getting as many players as possible.
http://character.phenixone.com/0123456789ABC.png

Attention Enforcers
Are you an Enforcer and interested in playing? You're in luck!

The Sorengard Defense Force (SDF) is currently seeking individuals with experience in con enforcement. Your duties will be to keep the peace in the area by thwarting faction animosity. Should you arrive too late to prevent an attack you will be required to bring those involved to justice. Should you feel the target is dangerous to the civil population, deadly force is authorized.

Enforcer Agents will be able to attack any player who they find engaging in an Elimination Mission. Enforcer Agents cannot be targeted for attack by faction Agents. Interested Enforcers should contact me at phillip@phenixone.com.

Questions
Why Teams?
Most missions will have you trying to find a target, which can be a little difficult in a crowd of 25-30,000 people. Teams mitigate this problem by allowing teammates to complete each others missions, giving you a greater chance of success. In addition, information found from completing missions is shared between a team.

While it's NOT required that you play in a team, those who do will have an extremely powerful advantage over lone-wolf players, but the option to play alone is there if you want it.

Why am I doing this?
Basically, I've always wanted to make games, as I think a lot of us would like to. I decided to step up and put it all on the line and make the most professional game I can design and afford. I'm not doing it for money, fame or recognition, (those would be nice though), but just to prove to myself that I can. In the end, it's as much for me as it is for you.

466B29B67FEF7.png
staplersareshiny on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the cut of your jib, gonna do the reccomended reading now.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fuck yes, I can't believe it's actually going to happen.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • WazWaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This sounds SO cool.

Waz on
  • staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks! I appreciate that. I'm very excited about it and hope you guys enjoy it.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am sooooo playing ^.^

The pirate thing last year was so awesome theres no way I'm missing this.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I will be doing this. I did last years game (and won) and I will definately do this years game, as it sounds even MORE awesome and epic.

BILL PISTOL FO' LIFE!

Officer on
  • randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    im down

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm down as well.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited June 2007
    Great! If you guys know anyone else who's going but may not be too active on the boards and think they'll be interested please do let them know about it.

A few things:
    1. The site is up and character creation is available. If you have a questions that's not answered on the site or not quite sure how to do something, you can reach me here: phillip@phenixone.com
    2. Recruit, this game might be a little harder to "win" than the last one because there will be a few ways to score yourself (see below).

Each player has a rank that will increase as they complete missions and successfully research information. Also, you'll receive achievements for completing certain missions or doing something notable, and these might also increase your rank. You can even get achievements for collecting specific sets of achievements, which is pretty hard but the bonuses are bigger.

Then there's how much of the story you guys uncover, which in my opinion is the coolest part. See, if you guys can't uncover enough of the story, you'll be unprepared for the endgame, which will make it harder if not impossible to prevail (Knowledge is literally power in this game). And the state that this game ends in will directly affect how next years game will start out and play.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Great! If you guys know anyone else who's going but may not be too active on the boards and think they'll be interested please do let them know about it.

A few things:
    1. The site is up and character creation is available. If you have a questions that's not answered on the site or not quite sure how to do something, you can reach me here: phillip@phenixone.com
    2. Recruit, this game might be a little harder to "win" than the last one because there will be a few ways to score yourself (see below).

Each player has a rank that will increase as they complete missions and successfully research information. Also, you'll receive achievements for completing certain missions or doing something notable, and these might also increase your rank. You can even get achievements for collecting specific sets of achievements, which is pretty hard but the bonuses are bigger.

Then there's how much of the story you guys uncover, which in my opinion is the coolest part. See, if you guys can't uncover enough of the story, you'll be unprepared for the endgame, which will make it harder if not impossible to prevail (Knowledge is literally power in this game). And the state that this game ends in will directly affect how next years game will start out and play.

Dude... I look forward to the challenge, and I hope I don't disappoint you. You effing rule.

Officer on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am totally in on this.

The Deliverator on
    edited June 2007
    Tried to create an account yesterday and today and it keeps coming back with Error 404 - Not Found

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited June 2007
    If that happens shoot me an email or pm me with the link you folowed or what you were doing and I'll check it out and fix it up. I'll also be on the PAX IRX channel at nights if you have questions or need some help.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I've created my character and am ready to lead my team to victory.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    You have a team Moe?

Oh and I found out what I was doing wrong. On the front page if you click on the blue links found within the bottom paragraph they seem not to be functioning. But if you use the links found in the menu bar at the top of the site those are indeed working.

Bambooza on
    edited June 2007
    All links should be working now. (crosses fingers)

I'm updating the site over the weekend with more information on how the game will work. Please send me any questions you may have so I can be sure to cover everything.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I registered the only thing I wasnt sure of is sending the verification code on my phone. It says that it went through, but it still shows as blue.

atray on
  • southernpride_rjsouthernpride_rj Puyallup, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have registered for this game and made a character. This sounds very interesting, and as I have never played anything like this before, it should make for a challenge while at PAX.

southernpride_rj on
    edited June 2007
    Thanks guys!

Right now I am verifying that manually so it might take a little time. Just checked and both of you guys are good on that front.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I am getting a 404 error for my team page when last night I wasn't.

[edit: situation resolved]

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    Yeah, I juggled the site around last night and hopefully it flows better, but any saved links may not work correctly. To modify your site or character accounts, you still go to the Accounts section, which has now been moved to the right side.

To view your character, team, or achievements, there is a new area called NetLink that has those pages now. You will also be able to browse through other players and their teams soon using these pages.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited June 2007
    Hate to double post, but there has been some significant changes to the site over the last few days and I wanted anyone interested to know about it.

The game guide has been updated significantly and reading through it now should give you a better idea of how the game will work and what you can expect as far as missions, information and research. There's still more to come. so check back often.

I'm going to be trying to get word of the game out to as many players as possible, because the more players there are the better the game will be for everyone. Any help spreading the word is much appreciated. Towards that end, every player now has a banner that show his characters name and team information, which works well for forum sigs. This is partly a way to show off the game, but may also be used later on so that we can play a version of the game in forums.

I've decided to cut the player count off at 250 because it's a nice round number and so no one will have to pay for anything. My treat! :)

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • person34person34 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey, Im trying to set up a character, and I uploaded a picture of myself. But then when I went to verification part I got this error message and what have you. So Im not sure If it went through.

Anywho, Im excited for this game. it has alot of potential! Once I get my character up and running I'm gonna get my friends in on it to join up.

Im sort of the guinnea pig on this one. So far though, I have positive things to say, besides the website being a little buggy. But that happens when its a new website so I can forgive you.

person34 on
    edited June 2007
    Thanks! Yeah the sites going through some growing pains right now as more things are added, so bear with us. Just sent you an email with some things that might work and requesting some info.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited June 2007
    Nice sigs :)

atray on
    edited June 2007
    Any teams forming? ill be staying in the crown plaza.

atray on
    edited June 2007
    Have a team that is forming that should have all my friends that are going to PAX in it. If things go right, my team should have 4-6 people in it.

I'm just curious, but what are the sizes of the other teams out there? If there are any.

person34 on
    edited June 2007
    Ya looking to join a team as well.

Bambooza on
    edited June 2007
    There are! At the moment, the New York faction has Strike Force PAX led by Moe "Eater of Souls" Fwacky as well as The Syndicate led by Jason "The Fox" Biggs. Faction Japan has Blackwing led by Tobias "Raven" Kreigen.

There are some restrictions in the game to prevent one faction becoming stronger than another. Teams are restricted to 5 players, including the Team Leader. Factions currently can only have up to 5 teams, and new factions will open up when full factions close.

Teams are capped at 5 players including the team leader, and 5 teams per faction. I'll be putting some info together on teams that should be up very soon under the Game Guide.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited June 2007
    There is now a new page under NetLink, where you can check out other factions team and players. Team Leaders should use this area to find out who has not yet joined a team when recruiting.

Players can join any player-created team regardless of their selected faction. If you join a team that is a different faction than your own, you'll switch allegiances to your new teams faction. If for some reason you quit your team, you will revert back to your selected faction. You can change your faction at any time through the accounts Character page.

Enjoy the game!

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • GravenImageGravenImage Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Took me long enough to stick my head in and say "I'm totally in!" I've been following the progress on the site ever since PAX last year. Loved playing Jack MacKraken last year, going to love this. Trying to assemble my team now.

GravenImage on
    4682E6D2C2A28.png
    edited June 2007
    Sweet! Glad to have you back, make sure to check your achievements for a little gift for returning players.

After looking at the players for each faction, I have decided to temporary close off the New York faction from receiving more teams. Once Japan, which has been renamed to Shita to reflect the story, balances out a new faction will open up. Once the new one reaches parity with the others, I'll open everything back up to 5 teams. If we get enough players to fill that up, more factions will open to accomodate.

This will not affect currently created teams in New York. You can still recruit any player who is not on a team.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited June 2007
    I posted this a few days ago in the main post, but didn't really announce it when I did it. To any enforcers out there who are interested in playing, but are reluctant due to having other duties at PAX, I have some special roles for you guys that should work well with your schedule.

If you're interested, check out the main post for details and shoot me an email with any questions/concerns at phillip@phenixone.com. Enjoy the game!

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited June 2007
    Hard to find this thread since its not stickied :(. Can we add it to the games sticky? I was curious how else you plan on advertising, because the forums makes up for a small percent of PAX attendees.

atray on
    edited June 2007
    I've been looking into some areas for advertising, but the problem is figuring out where is the highest chance of finding PAX'goers. We're also hoping and praying to get noticed by Mike and Jerry or another big site, as one link would most likely wang our site and fill the player rosters to capacity.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • munkyboy0930munkyboy0930 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am so in. this sounds pretty cool I am trying to get my friends in to it so I can start a team.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
    edited June 2007
    Great, we're glad to have you! Like I've said before if anyone runs into any problems just PM me or shoot an email here phillip@phenixone.com and we'll work on it ASAP.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We're also hoping and praying to get noticed by Mike and Jerry or another big site, as one link would most likely wang our site and fill the player rosters to capacity.
    I believe the current term for that is "tube" my good man. ;-)

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited July 2007
    I've made a change to the character information pages where a players address is no longer required, since it looks like we will not be needing to mail out items to you. We'll be passing out items Thursday night and Friday morning before the game officially starts.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
    edited July 2007
    Oh well thats actually pretty convenient.

And I was going to suggest that at the end of PAX maybe all the participants could get together, have dinner or something.

Unless everyone is dead...

Which wont happen. >.>

person34 on
This discussion has been closed.