As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beat the Pros

silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
edited June 2006 in PAX Archive
What game will the pros be playing this year, and how do you sign up in advance?

Last year I walked into the theatre seeing a SCII fight and a long line that no one else was allowed to enter.

silversh4d0w on

• Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2006
    We're not sure which games will be used for the event- feel free to throw out suggestions. :) The current format is to have people line up to compete, and since there is a certain amount of time set for the event, we have to cut off the line eventually. Last year you may have run into the tail-end of the event.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2006
    We're not sure which games will be used for the event- feel free to throw out suggestions. :) The current format is to have people line up to compete, and since there is a certain amount of time set for the event, we have to cut off the line eventually. Last year you may have run into the tail-end of the event.

TABLE TENNIS.

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I did walk in pretty late.

Fighters are epic crowd-drawers, they can be quick and easy, and Soul Calibur is always a good-looking fighter to watch. Assuming you guys don't want to give out an insane amount of prize cards, the game chosen should have a pretty good player to beat.

Table Tennis could look pretty fun. Foosball too. Or Air Hockey, with an aerial view for the projector screens. I've seen some pretty drawn-out air hockey games though.

Twister?

3 stock, no items on ... Smash.. bros..? :P

silversh4d0w on
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I'd like to see the return of Halo 2 and Soul Calibur 2, even though I only competed in one.

It was tremendous fun to watch so many competitors try their best, or worst, to beat the so-called Pros in these games.

However, for next year, I highly suggest two xboxs, as to prevent screen looking(despite a huge backdrop displaying the game). It's not nice to be sniped so easily, after spawning with an SMG.

There are other fighting games which would also be awesome to spectate.

... If only Ninja Gaiden/: Black offered 2 player fights... hohooh yeah..

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    one as humble as myself might also request bouts of super smash bros. melee for a beat the pros event...

sligmasta on
  • aREALplayeraREALplayer Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    I suggest bloody knuckle boxing.

aREALplayer on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2006
    ...or a whiskey-guzzling and cock-punching tournament. I've always wanted to see some amateurs go up against the pros in one of those tourneys.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited May 2006
    ...or a whiskey-guzzling and cock-punching tournament. I've always wanted to see some amateurs go up against the pros in one of those tourneys.

or we could organize a game of ro-sham-bo.

personally, i think we should geta game of ssbb going if nintendo brings it.

or we could get wii sports...

Nephirij on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2006
    i mean rockstar presents table tennis. the 360 game.

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2006

Any of the THQ/AKi N64 WCW or WWF games.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006

A few thoughts...

Tetris of some sort.

Soul calibur 1 or 2 Or hell, Street fighter hyper fighting.

just a thought...

Viscountalpha on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Damnit, we DON'T HAVE THAT MANY PROS!!! :evil:

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • ZartanZartan Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Damnit, WHY NOT!!! :evil:

Zartan on
  • silversh4d0wsilversh4d0w Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Zig21 wrote:

Takagi (the Smash PAX tourney winner from last year) went back to Japan, but he's part of a local smash group called Skypal, and they're all the best on the West coast. I bet any of them would be glad to come down and 'be a pro' at Smash since that's what they're good at.

Just say the word. Or email it. ben.copeland@gmail.com :P

silversh4d0w on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Damn double post

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2006
    Zig21 wrote:

Ok, find some pros, have them pick games. Make a ruleset about controller config "1min timer for button config" Then have a vote for whats available so the most popular game is decided. Or have 1 or 2 picked internally and announce it. I have faith in zig and khoo to come up with something awesome.

FYI to all those challengers who took too damned long...

PLAN YOUR DAMNED BUTTONS EARLIER! (hindsite is 20-20 thing)

Viscountalpha on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Zig21 wrote:

Takagi (the Smash PAX tourney winner from last year) went back to Japan, but he's part of a local smash group called Skypal, and they're all the best on the West coast. I bet any of them would be glad to come down and 'be a pro' at Smash since that's what they're good at.

Just say the word. Or email it. ben.copeland@gmail.com :P

I know, I'm referring to the event in general.

Seriously folks, let's not go too overboard with suggestions. This was a minor event we're hoping to expand, but there're only so many hours to work with.

And yes, people need to hurry the fuck up when setting buttons. Why do you think I have little patience for GC owners who play SC2?

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    ^ Really. People should just have to use the default control scheme and deal with it.

Pansies.

duderdude2 on
  • MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited June 2006

Pong.

MrPulsar on