As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Walking Dead] Finally - the wife is hooked.

kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
There is an Image comic series, written by one Robert Kirkman (Invincible) called The Walking Dead, in which a group of people try to make their way in the post-zombie-apocalyptic world. Things don't go well for them (especially the children).

b4cee03ae7a0e922f9fa1210.L._AA300_.jpg

There is a show, based on the aforementioned series, that tells the same story, albeit at a somewhat slower pace and with some different occurrences. Things do not appear to be going any better for them (especially the children).

MV5BMTY0OTQwMTg4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkyNjg2Ng@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

kingworks on

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Talking points:

Zombie autopsies
    Zombies tracking by: sight? smell? hearing?
    The pros/cons of riding a harley in a post-zombie world
    Guns vs. Crossbows
    Screwdrivers vs. Machetes & hatchets
    Do children really attract bullets?

kingworks on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    He looked so uncomfortable riding that bike.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That episode was really good and then fucking awful and then really good in the last 5 seconds

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Larlar wrote:
    He looked so uncomfortable riding that bike.
    Which is odd, seeing as how he used to work in a Harley shop (according to his IMDB bio)

kingworks on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mr. G wrote:
    That episode was really good and then fucking awful and then really good in the last 5 seconds
    I felt like Carl getting shot was felt like a tacked-on plot device. I mean, they hadn't even found Sophia yet. The search for Sophia started to get boring in one epsidode, stretching it over two eps is pushing it.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote:
    I felt like Carl getting shot was felt like a tacked-on plot device. I mean, they hadn't even found Sophia yet. The search for Sophia started to get boring in one epsidode, stretching it over two eps is pushing it.
    Searching for her was boring immediately. I don't care about most of these characters, much less the children. Darryl and Glenn should break off from the group and have cool guy adventures, attach a sidecar to that chopper posthaste!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just finished Rick's intro call.

That Harley seems like a really really bad idea.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    IIRC, who shot Carl & where they take him for medical attention is where they find Sophia

• Options
    kingworks wrote:
    IIRC, who shot Carl & where they take him for medical attention is where they find Sophia

What are you talking about, this never happened in the books.

...did it? Maybe I've forgotten.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    "Hey, weren't we short on water?"

Wastes a fuckload of water.

Good going, koala face! :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I don't have cable, but my friend DVRed it for me, so I'm gonna watch it tonight.
    So excited!
    Also, it's really hard to not click on those spoiler tags.

How good is this new episode? Does it compare to the last season? Better? Worse?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Does the tv show kind of follow the comic?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Brainleech wrote:
    Does the tv show kind of follow the comic?

Mmmnot really. It has diverged pretty heavily in terms of where they go and who lives and dies.

How good is this new episode? Does it compare to the last season? Better? Worse?

Pretty good bro! I like it as much as the first season. Not better, but not worse, imo.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    If you hated the last two episodes of Season 1, consider it an improvement.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote:
    Mr. G wrote:
    I felt like Carl getting shot was felt like a tacked-on plot device. I mean, they hadn't even found Sophia yet. The search for Sophia started to get boring in one episode, stretching it over two eps is pushing it.
    Searching for her was boring immediately. I don't care about most of these characters, much less the children. Darryl and Glenn should break off from the group and have cool guy adventures, attach a sidecar to that chopper posthaste!

haha that would be awesome

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Honestly if this had been 90 minutes of Darryl being a hick ninja, I would have still watched it.

He was the best part of this episode

• Options
    I don't have cable, but my friend DVRed it for me, so I'm gonna watch it tonight.
    So excited!
    Also, it's really hard to not click on those spoiler tags.

It was... alright. Like the first season, this episode was a bit of a mixed bag.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Ok, I will come into it with mixed expectations.
    I'm hoping that they follow more with the comic books in the future, because if they ended up going to
    (spoilered just in case)
    The prison
    that would be pretty sweet to watch play out on the show.
    It was one of my favorite segments so far in the books, and seeing it on screen would (hopefully) be awesome

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Darryl continues being a stone-dicked badass. His little stealth zombie kill to save whats-his-fuck with the arm was awesome.

"Shhh"

Also, anyone would look uncomfortable riding that bike. Ape-hangers are God-awful to ride with.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    episode dragged on quite a bit, characters still whiny bitchfaces, go figure

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I think the other characters go a long way in helping me understand and sympathize with Rick who, let's face it, is who we came into the story with and with whom we most closely identify.

• Options
    kingworks wrote: »
    I think the other characters go a long way in helping me understand and sympathize with Rick who, let's face it, is who we came into the story with and with whom we most closely identify.

I identify with Darryl.

Because we're both awesome.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

Sophia never got lost in the comics, but after Carl gets accidentally shot they bring him to Hershel's farm. Pretty sure that's where they're going next ep.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Sophia spoilers?
    If I recall correctly, in one of the teasers, Sophia had become a walker.

• Options
    Stale wrote:

I identify with Darryl.

rednecks

also: that goddamn scene with the deer is bullshit because ain't no wild fucking animal gonna let somebody get that close without spooking

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    I watched the first four episodes over the last two nights

It's pretty daggone good

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:

I identify with Darryl.

rednecks

also: that goddamn scene with the deer is bullshit because ain't no wild fucking animal gonna let somebody get that close without spooking

Yeah, I was saying the same thing last night.

"How the fuck do 3 ham-footed idiots sneak up on a buck like that? Bullshit!"

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Stale wrote:

I identify with Darryl.

rednecks

yes, i completely agree. out of all the goddamn things to get pissed off about in a zombie show, that is what i am upset with.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just cus I was helluva drunk when I was watching it, but I remember digging the scene where Grime's best buddy partner-cop beats the shit out of that wife-beater guy

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Stale wrote:

I identify with Darryl.

rednecks

yes, i completely agree. out of all the goddamn things to get pissed off about in a zombie show, that is what i am upset with.

Had Darryl been out there, that scene would have been over in 2 seconds.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    mrmr wrote:
    Larlar wrote:
    kingworks wrote:

Sophia never got lost in the comics, but after Carl gets accidentally shot they bring him to Hershel's farm. Pretty sure that's where they're going next ep.

Huh, I don't remember that at all.

The only injury of his that comes to mind is [book spoilers]
    When he gets shot in the fucking head.

Though that happened a hell of a lot more recently.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    Stale wrote:

I identify with Darryl.

rednecks

Had Darryl been out there, that scene would have been over in 2 seconds.

i have had the urge to bait the backyard with corn and remove my window screen and get a crossbow

free dinner!

• Options
    I've also never seen a rack like that on a buck in June-July.

But then again they may be different down here in GA.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    i saw a pretty good rack back in july - august, considering the conditions (drought) i was impressed

but these hill country deer are usually small-bodied with racks much bigger than they should be for their body size. this close to campus though, plenty of food and water. i've seen some good ones and this cooler weather in the evenings has got them moving! i'm excited

ps @Stale i bought a Sig SP2022 in .40S&W

• Options
    Very nice choice.

Back home in IL, that rack would be half as big over summer. They didn't finish up and shed until Oct-Nov.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    City-folk have such a limited understanding of what is edible.

• Options
    kingworks wrote:
    City-folk have such a limited understanding of what is edible.

e....everything?
    As long as it's not a mechanical component/zombie?

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I could do without the hokey talking parts, emotions are lame, just wanna see Darryl kill zombies, man.

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    And the church part was kickass

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well
    It could be Darryl's brother whom found the girl and shot Carl in some bizzare revenge againist the group leaving him and forcing him to saw off his hand