As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: This is the old thread. Don't post here.

1929394959698»

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'll wait to see how much content i get for that money first.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    I'll wait to see how much content i get for that money first.

Very doubtful it will be worth $15 :?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    For $15, it better deliver Shadowbroker levels of quality and content.

• Options
    WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    Definitely waiting for one of Steam's holiday sales.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Lol what. $15?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Word is it's a couple of hours of content.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Joystiq says it's 5-8 hours of content.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    that is definitely worth $15.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    If it's closer to the 8 hour mark, I'm down

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I don't see DLC offering 8 hours of content for $15...

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    If it's about 8 hours long I might pay 15 dollars for that. Some full-priced games are 8 hours or less.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    yuhuang wrote:
    Joining in fashionably late (I hope) just to say that I saved Malik. Yes, that might not seem much to all you hard gamers out there, but computer games and I had just not been talking for the last few years (and I never was particularly good in them to begin with), so you can see how a guy can get excited.

So far to me this has been the single most exhilarating, dopamine-dispensingly, groin-grabbingly good moment in the whole game (I even doubt beating the last boss and the game will top that). How did I do it, you ask? Why, I put faces in contact with bullets that exploded. It was a mad ballet of face-explosion. I was so pumped up afterwards I spent some good 15 minutes just running around, leaping and juggling and bowling with corpses (in game).

I did it the Pacifist way. There was an imbecile guard taking cover behind an explosive barrel. That was so annoying.

Gas grenades FTW!

I didn't even know there were different outcomes to that scenario when I played through Pacifist. I just booked out of there and had to watch the gut-wrenching scene. On my second play... that barrel was handy.

Late on this one but I also did it the pacifist way. I ran thru the gap between the heli and a barrier and basically stealthed up to one heavy, stun gun, guy to the right gets Taken down, I throw both bodies near the other heavy, run up and stun him before my stealth ran out, ran around to the guy by the barrel for a stun gun, tossed the barrel behind malik's chopper, then emp'd the robot. Once I finished up the sniper above and the other 3 guys plus sniper on the other side, I dashed to the last guy, did a stun gun, then checked my bodies. Every one was snoozing. I felt so grand for accomplishing that. Felt I needed a smoke afterwards.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I'm doing a new playthrough when the DLC comes out (though I assume you can play it at any time most likely) and I'm going to be more decisive in who dies. None of this "oh this is a kill playthrough, everyone dies" or "pacifist playthrough". There are just some parts in the game the enemies deserve to die, and frankly it doesn't make sense for Jensen to restrain himself in those conditions. Like how the prologue, when you have NO non-lethal options, and yet killing people in a situation that you'd literally have to be bonkers not to kill them, denies you the pacifist achievement. Now, I get stuff like the basketball achievement, in which the same "why would you be doing this" question could be asked, but it's not like gang members are shooting at you while you do it. It's just kinda silly, is all.

But anyways, not everyone deserves to die either. Some gang members, some "terrorists", whatever. Having a playthrough dedicated to one or the other is really purely a "gaming" thing in this game, rather than one of doing what you think should be done. Which is fine, but since I'm not into pure "gaming" achievements, means I'll never get the pacifist one. Which is why I'm glad achievements rarely affect games. And I hate it when they do and aren't straight "do this badass thing" but rather "do this weird thing that makes no sense just for the sake of doing it". You get the idea.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The bit I saw on Joystiq was saying 5-6, not 5-8. Take that down into real person numbers and I'd guess it's 3-4 hours, which is still a nice length for DLC. At 150% Shadowbroker prices though, I'll probably wait a long while before trying it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Ha, that was cute. Beat Jaron up. With a deactivated turret. That was definitely worthwhile. I'm tempted on the next play thru to try to see if I can get a soda machine in some where to kill Barrett with.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    When did DLC make this jump from 10 to 15 bucks? I am not particularly happy about this.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    The price never jumped, the $10 price point was just speculation.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I think he's talking in general

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I think he's talking in general

This. I mean in general. DLC used to be at a pretty steady 10 dollar price point, but recently it's jumped to 15. I guess if we'll pay it, it's the "right" price point. I am gonna start being a lot more picky about my DLC at that price point though.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Multiple hours of scripted content is one thing, but I blame all those silly people who pay a quarter of a game for only a handful of maps for driving the price point up. And also for killing SDKs for mods

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Regarding the next thread: I'm willing to make the next thread, but I really don't have any desire to maintain it much or come up with terrible thread titles that play on drawn out memes anymore. I'll update when there's significant news like new DLC announcements and pricing/release date info. Otherwise the OP is going to be what it is now. If everyone's fine with this then I'll make the new thread, but if everyone wants an OP with more incremental updates then I'll need a volunteer to take it over. I'll take a lack of input on the matter to mean that everyone's fine with me making the next thread and rarely updating it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Multiple hours of scripted content is one thing, but I blame all those silly people who pay a quarter of a game for only a handful of maps for driving the price point up. And also for killing SDKs for mods

Which doesn't even make sense to me, as there are very, very few fan mods that can rival the quality of the better DLC's.

• Options
    The bit I saw on Joystiq was saying 5-6, not 5-8. Take that down into real person numbers and I'd guess it's 3-4 hours, which is still a nice length for DLC. At 150% Shadowbroker prices though, I'll probably wait a long while before trying it.

No, it says 5-8. This is an easy thing to look up.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/14/deus-ex-missing-link-dlc-finds-launch-date-price/

I have no idea if it is actually 5-8 or if it's 3-4. They do have a review up for it but didn't say anything really about its length. If it was really short, while being $15; that's something they usually make a point to mention.

Regardless, even if it is only 3-4 hours, it's really about quality over quantity. Longer != better and I'll take a 3 hour jaunt through Portal over a 10 hours slog through any number of CoD clones.

For me the question isn't length, it's replayability. If i'm goign to pay 1/4 of the price of a full game, new, it better be something that is worth playing a few times. And since it's completely separate from the main game, I'm not really seeing how that will be the case. I would love to be wrong.

As it stands at $15 I will probably just wait for a sale as I have too many other fucking games at this point. HR is easily one of the best games I've played in years, but $15 for a stand alone side story that likely won't really actually add much of anything to the overall arc isn't super appealing right now.

• Options
    Astale wrote:
    I'm doing a new playthrough when the DLC comes out (though I assume you can play it at any time most likely) and I'm going to be more decisive in who dies. None of this "oh this is a kill playthrough, everyone dies" or "pacifist playthrough". There are just some parts in the game the enemies deserve to die, and frankly it doesn't make sense for Jensen to restrain himself in those conditions. Like how the prologue, when you have NO non-lethal options, and yet killing people in a situation that you'd literally have to be bonkers not to kill them, denies you the pacifist achievement. Now, I get stuff like the basketball achievement, in which the same "why would you be doing this" question could be asked, but it's not like gang members are shooting at you while you do it. It's just kinda silly, is all.

But anyways, not everyone deserves to die either. Some gang members, some "terrorists", whatever. Having a playthrough dedicated to one or the other is really purely a "gaming" thing in this game, rather than one of doing what you think should be done. Which is fine, but since I'm not into pure "gaming" achievements, means I'll never get the pacifist one. Which is why I'm glad achievements rarely affect games. And I hate it when they do and aren't straight "do this badass thing" but rather "do this weird thing that makes no sense just for the sake of doing it". You get the idea.

Yeah, I quite like this idea. I like talking to people to find out their opinions on current world events.

People who have silly goose opinions die.

• Options
    I usually go first playthrough however I like (mostly good).
    Second playthrough straight up caricature evil
    Third playthrough straight up caricature good
    Fourth+ whatever

I like to replay good games

• Options

No, it says 5-8. This is an easy thing to look up.

Almost as if my saying "the bit I saw" was referring to a specific case and not disputing yours, kind of like "Going through Deus Ex's growth arc at super speed (well, it's still five to six hours long) makes your choices feel more important and immediate," and that's from the actual review, not the preview.

But I guess it was just too easy to bother looking up.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    GnomeTank wrote:
    When did DLC make this jump from 10 to 15 bucks? I am not particularly happy about this.

Activision and millions of dollars of COD maps.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    lizardlooplizardloop Registered User regular
    Well I finally finished Deus Ex.
    I went with combining JC and Helios. For two reasons. 1. I liked it out of all the options the best. An altruistic dictator is in my mind the best option when compared to the others. Especially Tong's, I liked Tong up till that point but then I think he had lost it slightly. 2. Those respawning spider bots were kicking my ass. As my character was I just couldn't deal with them effectively so I ended up turning the router on and just running away with my speed aug. I also doubted my ability to kill off Page since my combat skills were fairly poor.

The level design in that game is just fantastic. At all points through the game the levels allowed for pretty much all play styles, whether gung ho or sneaky and had lots of content to explore. They all felt like living breathing locations. I'm genuinely struggling to think of a game that managed to keep the locations so consistently high quality.

My younger brother has been kind enough to purchase Human Revolution for the 360 so I'll be starting to play that in the next few weeks. Hopefully the level design will live up to the originals. From what I have seen of my younger brother playing it they seem to have done a pretty good job.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution tonight. Finally! Amazing game. Just awesome. The only thing keeping me from calling it "Game of the Year" is the fact that we've still got two and a half months to go in 2011, and there are a bunch of great games yet to be released. Deus Ex is ... great, though.

I managed to get all of the achievements in a single playthrough, except for Gun Nut and Doctorate. Gun Nut's not all that hard, but I chose to try and fully upgrade the 10mm Pistol. And since it's so weak to start off with, it requires like ... the most upgrades of all the weapons, lol. I guess I didn't find them all. And Doctorate's something I'd have saved for my second playthrough, anyway.

I must have lucked out on Jaron Namir, by the way:
    He didn't seem to be effected by my EMP mines, but when he went invisible, I was able to track him with my sight augmentations, so that's cool. Anyway, I figured I came to the fight a little unprepared. I had a shotgun in my inventory, and a bunch of weapon upgrades that I hadn't used, but I figured I'd just do my best and apply them before the next fight after I die. Anyway, when I fought Yelena the first time, I remember trying to do a takedown on her, and she did this cool cinematic block, and I wanted to see what that would look like on Jaron ... so I ran up to him, tapped the button to execute a non-lethal takedown and ... knocked his fucking teeth out the back of his head.

Game over, Jaron. Eat shit.

After I finished the game, I hopped on the wiki and read some articles about characters / events / storylines that I wanted clarification on, and I happened to see on Namir's page that he can apparently only be taken down like that after he jumps over one of the walls. So I lucked out again, lol.

Oh, and the "final boss":
    I ran around like a madman for the first minute or two, dodging turrets and hacking terminals. Then I decided to see if the Laser Gun I picked up before the Namir fight (which can apparently fire through walls), could be used to hit Zhao ... and, yeah. It can. It totally cheeses that fight, but whatever, lol.

Eat shit, Zhao.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Just made it through Picus. Now I'm sure I'd read people in here saying that they're ridiculous and nobody's like that in the real world. Was that a thing, or am I just imagnining an idiot straw man?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Well, maybe you should say who's ridiculous.

• Options
    Orca wrote:

Picus is pretty clearly an exaggeration of the way many media outlets operate today, quite obviously targeted at Fox. Reading the messages on any number of computers, they basically outline how messages are wilfully distorted to suit the agenda being pushed. I'm saying Picus isn't nearly as ridiculous as this possibly-imagined person might be thinking.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    darleysam wrote:
    Orca wrote:

Picus is pretty clearly an exaggeration of the way many media outlets operate today, quite obviously targeted at Fox. Reading the messages on any number of computers, they basically outline how messages are wilfully distorted to suit the agenda being pushed. I'm saying Picus isn't nearly as ridiculous as this possibly-imagined person might be thinking.

I don't agree that it's an exaggeration. That's exactly how propaganda works and, yes, the media - including but not limited to Fox News - engages in that kind of practice.

The existence of the emails just sitting out there for the player to peruse is a necessary element of the video game medium for exposition purposes. So the bluntness IS an exaggeration, but it is one fueled by the medium of the story, not a desire to strawman Fox News.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Drez wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Orca wrote:

I don't agree that it's an exaggeration. That's exactly how propaganda works and, yes, the media - including but not limited to Fox News - engages in that kind of practice.

The existence of the emails just sitting out there for the player to peruse is a necessary element of the video game medium for exposition purposes.

Well aware of that. Also hell, I really wouldn't be surprised if Fox did have a lexicon of approved words and phrases. They do, don't they.
    edit: by exaggeration, I didn't mean that that kind of bias and moderation exists today, but that the lengths and reach of it has maybe been expanded because of the setting of the game. There's still enough choice today that you can get a variety of views, whereas in HR's time, it really sounds like you've got Picus, or you've got nothing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    darleysam wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Orca wrote:

The existence of the emails just sitting out there for the player to peruse is a necessary element of the video game medium for exposition purposes.

Well aware of that. Also hell, I really wouldn't be surprised if Fox did have a lexicon of approved words and phrases. They do, don't they.
    edit: by exaggeration, I didn't mean that that kind of bias and moderation exists today, but that the lengths and reach of it has maybe been expanded because of the setting of the game. There's still enough choice today that you can get a variety of views, whereas in HR's time, it really sounds like you've got Picus, or you've got nothing.

Unfortunately, I do believe that is a very real threat. I don't expect it will happen in our real reality. But can it happen? I do believe it is possible. It has happened in many other countries. America is resilient and has its integrity, but only to a point.

• Options
    I have an extra tactical enhancement code from Amazon if someone wants it. I'm not 100% sure it'll work because they accidentally sent me two, but if you want to give it a shot, the first person to PM me gets it.

The first person who PM's me that isn't some random scrub who joined just to get free shit, that is.

Also, for the PC version.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    eh, close enough to 100 pages. Go discuss the DLC in the new thread.

Also if someone could tell me how the fuck to make text big I'd appreciate it. I sorely miss the advanced reply mode.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [size=7]Up to 7, looks like[/size]

Which looks like this.

s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.