As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using a different AC adapter?

busfahrerbusfahrer addictGermanyRegistered User regular
Hi,

I hope this is the right kind of place for a question like this:

I have a device that needs to be charged, and the included AC adapter's specified power output is 5V/0.7A.

I don't know much about electrics: Are the 0.7A always delivered by the power supply, or only a percentage of that, depending on what the connected device pulls out of it?

I ask this because I was wondering whether using an AC adapter that is specified as outputting 5V/1A could be used for charging the device, without damaging its batteries in the long run.

Greetings,
busfahrer

B2b1M.gif
Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
busfahrer on

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    0.7A is the maximum rated output current, so using a 1A power supply will be okay.

Just things to double check before switching adapters:

* Plug type - make sure it's the same plug type/size, so that you have a good fit
    * Polarity - make sure the two power supplies have the same polarity (see symbols from Wiki here)

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    0.7A is the maximum rated output current, so using a 1A power supply will be okay.

Just things to double check before switching adapters:

* Plug type - make sure it's the same plug type/size, so that you have a good fit
    * Polarity - make sure the two power supplies have the same polarity (see symbols from Wiki here)

That's good to know, thank you! :-)

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    If it's an off-the-shelf charger that you bought, it should work just fine. If it's from another device, it'll probably work (and almost certainly won't damage anything) but don't be super surprised if it doesn't; sometimes those things have some little design quirks such that they're really only meant to charge the device they came with. For instance, I had one that had an insane amount of ripple on the voltage, because presumably the device it came with had the circuitry to remove that ripple (rather than placing it in the charger). Stupid, but there you have it.

But don't worry, worst case it simply won't work.