As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Individual results may vary, but you're likely better off being as honest as possible up front to avoid any potential issues. While it makes sense to try to save money however you can, there are fire code laws to be aware of in addition to extra occupancy costs and if something bad were to happen (read: emergency) you could theoretically be held liable if you knowingly broke hotel policy and violated codes.

Agreed, I didn't mean to advocate lying to the hotel, only that if you goof when you book, the hotels seem willing to accommodate if you explain the situation.

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Individual results may vary, but you're likely better off being as honest as possible up front to avoid any potential issues. While it makes sense to try to save money however you can, there are fire code laws to be aware of in addition to extra occupancy costs and if something bad were to happen (read: emergency) you could theoretically be held liable if you knowingly broke hotel policy and violated codes.

Quoting this to save my ass. I do not condone room-stuffing :)

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Angrypasta wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

Quoting this to save my ass. I do not condone room-stuffing :)
    There are codes and the whatnot, but what you really need to be aware of. Is 8 people in a room can be loud. If your loud your neighbor will complain. If a few of your neighbors complain management will kick you out and you'll be out of a hotel, and your money because you broke policy. Generally pax people are cool, but this can happen.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Westin Booked!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    For those who have issues
    OnPeak's contact info is as follows:
    8:00 AM - 5:00 PM CT, Monday - Friday

Phone
    (866) 220 9473 US Toll-free
    (312) 527 7300 Int'l
    (312) 329 9513 Fax

Email
    pax@onpeakevents.com

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Does the westin have underground parking like seaport does?

Axon wrote:

Yes it does. If memory serves, it was $35/day on my hotel bill.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Axon wrote:

Sounds 'bout the same. Thanks!

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Axon wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    Axon wrote:

Sounds 'bout the same. Thanks!

Indeed most hotels charge between 35$ to 40$ per night on Valet parking. You can sometimes manage your way into getting a deal but that's usually easier when the hotel is not at it's busiest.

You may also want to check out the option of parking the car at the BCEC itself. If memory serves, it was something like 10$ a day for self serve and 20$ a day for Valet service. Also (again from memory) you could leave your card there for the weekend for 30$.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Seaport for me, have to save a little cash, coming out from Victoria and going to new york first, just dropped $500 on theater tickets.

qEGfoNG.png

• BostonPokeBostonPoke Registered User regular
    Axon wrote:

Yes. It is actually left over from a pre-existing building which we re-used in the new hotel's design. Saved a lot of money and construction waste. What, too much info?

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Is this also the thread to ask for a space in a room? I would like to stay at the Westin (Seaport as a secondary choice) with someone(s). I will be coming by train on Thursday and will definitely be staying Saturday & Sunday night. If finances permit, I'd like to stay Sunday night, but do not yet know if that is possible.
    I don't smoke, I don't take super long showers, and I'm pretty sure I don't snore.

TabooPhantasy on
    ~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    Is this also the thread to ask for a space in a room? I would like to stay at the Westin (Seaport as a secondary choice) with someone(s).

You might want to book a westin room while they are still available. then start your own post in the eventual room share thread.

• slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Is this also the thread to ask for a space in a room?
    Nope. That thread is here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150211/east-pax-roomshare-thread

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Booked at the Westin. I was at the Westin last year and the convenience is incredible. Now, I'll be up-front, the staff was pretty lousy. I worked front desk at a 4 star hotel and I know snooty hotel staff when I see it, but it was worth putting up with, if not worth tipping. The other perk is that most of the big guests and names stay at the westin. I ran into Tycho as we were both heading back to the westin on the first night, and we ended up having an awesome conversation about books we like.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Booked at the Westin, for when I need a 20 minute power nap because there is no such thing as a full night's rest at PAX when Enforcing :)

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Booked at the Westin Thurs-Mon.
    It was very nice last year, and being able to dump swag & coats in the room and being connected was nice.
    There are not a lot of food options nearby, but there is a Starbucks in the lobby, and if you go to the convention ctr food court, it's open pretty late.

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    Booked the Seaport for my buddy and I. Was a great place last year and the walk really wasn't that bad.

signature.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shoot - didn't expect this to come up so quick and I don't have $200 on a card to prepay the night. How long do rooms usually last?

edit: do they make you prepay if you're using a credit card, or is that for cash customers?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Shoot - didn't expect this to come up so quick and I don't have $200 on a card to prepay the night. How long do rooms usually last?

edit: do they make you prepay if you're using a credit card, or is that for cash customers?

No, you don't have to prepay if you give them a credit card, I signed up after asking on the last page and being told they wouldn't charge me.
    Then checked my CC account (cuz I'm paranoid), no charges.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    You may also want to check out the option of parking the car at the BCEC itself. If memory serves, it was something like 10$ a day for self serve and 20$ a day for Valet service. Also (again from memory) you could leave your card there for the weekend for 30$.

As a heads up the BCEC does not offer overnight parking, just day rates.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Booked a room at the Westin again this year. Big thanks to @SewingPunzie (or I guess just Punzie here) for the link via twitter. My XP at the Westin last year was awesome. I loved being right there for the con and it made quick trips back to the room a breeze.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
    Coming in on Wednesday, btw.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
    Agree with MacroGeek on the food options, we had several late, late, late meals in the food court after the concerts.

• Obsolete ModelObsolete Model Registered User regular
    I was able to reserve a room at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I did have to call however. My credit card expires before PAX so the site would not let me book online. I called my credit card company and had them issue me a new card but it would take about a week to get to me. Worried I would miss out on the hotel I wanted I called OnPeak directly and they said it was no problem. I can update my card information later when I get my new card and the reservation was confirmed. So just incase anyone is in this situation, they can help you if you call.

• acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    macrogeek wrote:
    It was very nice last year, and being able to dump swag & coats in the room and being connected was nice.
    There are not a lot of food options nearby, but there is a Starbucks in the lobby, and if you go to the convention ctr food court, it's open pretty late.

At least I know I'll have some sort of food option, post concert...

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    macrogeek wrote:

A lot of people either didn't know or didn't want to bother, but if you crossed the small bridge leading to the Seaport and went down to the water (a 5 minute walk from the center), there's a 7-11 with cheap sandwiches and drinks right next to a Dunkin Donuts.

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My friends and I booked Seaport. How long is the walk from Seaport to BCEC? It doesn't look far

edit: nevermind got it

xenard on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    xenard wrote:
    My friends and I booked Seaport. How long is the walk from Seaport to BCEC? It doesn't look far

It's not far. 5 minute walk on a bridge. Fairly well lit and definitely well-traveled during PAX. Might be no fun in the rain though.

• EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    My fiancé, two friends and I are staying at the Renaissance Waterfront. We're staying there because it should be a short walk and we figure that if we stay at the Renaissance (vs the Westin) we're less likely to get bumped across town like people did last year. It also looks like and sounds like a really nice hotel.

signature.png
    I think it's unlikely people will get bumped this year. I suppose it's always a possibility, but hopefully due to last year's fiasco it won't be repeated. Growing pains and all.

• StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    Woo! Booked my room at the Westin. Last year we went with some friends but we had separate rooms. We called the Westin a few days before we got there and asked if our rooms could be near each other and they were very accommodating. I think we were 3 rooms apart. Just thought I would throw that out there for anyone going with a large group that is booking multiple rooms.

bftgk95jb551.png

• dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    Was there a common variable between the people that got bumped from the Westin last year? Late checking in? I'd think calling a day or two before to confirm an approximate arrival time would secure the room for real real.

edited October 2011
    Was there a common variable between the people that got bumped from the Westin last year? Late checking in? I'd think calling a day or two before to confirm an approximate arrival time would secure the room for real real.

No. The Westin sold OnPeak more rooms than they had available due to expecting many people to cancel. They did not understand that this doesn't really happen for PAX. One key thing is that booking through OnPeak gives some semblance of protection against this as they will try incredibly hard to prevent it from happening whereas the hotel itself may not be as diligent if you booked direct.

Edit: there was also a communication issue between The Westin and OnPeak that resulted in some people not finding out about this as soon as they should have. Considering the monster shitstorm that resulted last year, I would expect that both OnPeak and The Westin will be on top of things for this year.

zerzhul on
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    antherem wrote:
    xenard wrote:

It's not far. 5 minute walk on a bridge. Fairly well lit and definitely well-traveled during PAX. Might be no fun in the rain though.

Thanks

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Booked at the seaport.

Seems strange that hotel registration is up before passes have even gone on sale.

• RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    I'm currently registered at the Renaissance but that might change depending on where I can book with points. Last year, I managed to get into the Renaissance, about a month before PAX which was awesome.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
    ransim wrote:
    Booked at the seaport.

Seems strange that hotel registration is up before passes have even gone on sale.

This is not atypical. It was this way for Prime 2011 as well.

• SammySammy Registered User regular
    haven't booked yet, still conversing with my cousin who's going with me.
    but its looking like the westin hopefully! Seaport as a back up, its still really close and the walk doesn't bother me.
    stayed at the Renaissance last year, and was quite surprised to find it more expensive than Westin or seaport this year!

would the forums sell out the westin? I figure I have until at least next payday before they make it live on the website, and then I hold no illusions about it disappearing. lol.

Go Team !Squirtle!!!! Nurse Joy Pokecrawl '11

PAX EAST 2012: HOTEL [X] FLIGHT [] PASSES [X] TIME OFF []
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    ransim wrote:
    Booked at the seaport.

This is not atypical. It was this way for Prime 2011 as well.

I'll take your word on that, I missed out on Prime 2011 though I did go to East 2011. The hotel does tend to be the most stressful part of organizing so I'm thankful to have that out of the way.

Just need to make sure I get passes now.