As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World War Hulk Thread: Don't Be Fucking Ninnies

• Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TWO SETS OF GOGGLES.

Synthetic Orange on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Adamantium. The Hulk can't bust adamantium. Not necessarily reasonable, but it's just the most obvious example.

Isn't Pure Adamantium, or any of the un-breakable alloys in the Marvel Universe like absurdly rare?

DharmaBum on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Adamantium. The Hulk can't bust adamantium. Not necessarily reasonable, but it's just the most obvious example.

Isn't Pure Adamantium, or any of the un-breakable alloys in the Marvel Universe like absurdly rare?

Yeah. It'd be a lot easier to just launch him into space or somethi..... oh.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, Leader Jr. looks like a fucking dork.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I honestly don't see how people could think Reed wouldn't rig the ship to blow up. I mean, he's insanely myopic, but even he isn't stupid enough to leave a perfectly functioning spaceship in the hands of something that, in an instant, could turn back into one of the most brilliant minds in the marvel universe. What the hell kind of sense does that make.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TWO SETS OF GOGGLES.
    THEY DO NOTHING!

sullijo on
    When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »
    Wow, Leader Jr. looks like a fucking dork.

He's just in his awkward stage is all.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I am pretty sure Reed Richards and Dr Doom are both Skrulls.

graizur on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jimmy Olsen is.... THE LEADER.

DarkPrimus on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how people could think Reed wouldn't rig the ship to blow up. I mean, he's insanely myopic, but even he isn't stupid enough to leave a perfectly functioning spaceship in the hands of something that, in an instant, could turn back into one of the most brilliant minds in the marvel universe. What the hell kind of sense does that make.

I think that if he intended to kill the Hulk with that blast, then it would have been a lot stronger. Hulk was totally untouched by it.

If Reed were simply going to strand the Hulk by making certain that Banner couldn't repair the shuttle, it would've been a controlled shutdown that left it a melted wreck, not something that would sweep the surrounding miles of planet clean.

Personally, I kind've like the idea that Miek sabotaged it. His people were doomed to extinction, so why not a final act of pointless/misdirected revenge to send the Hulk and everyone else into a suicidal, destructive battle? It's what I would do.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I think that if he intended to kill the Hulk with that blast, then it would have been a lot stronger. Hulk was totally untouched by it.

If Reed were simply going to strand the Hulk by making certain that Banner couldn't repair the shuttle, it would've been a controlled shutdown that left it a melted wreck, not something that would sweep the surrounding miles of planet clean.

Personally, I kind've like the idea that Miek sabotaged it. His people were doomed to extinction, so why not a final act of pointless/misdirected revenge to send the Hulk and everyone else into a suicidal, destructive battle? It's what I would do.

Miek is a pretty likely suspect in the explosion.

But I don't know that he'd have the technical expertise to pull it off.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007

If the goal was to send the Hulk to a completely uninhabited planet, then wait long enough to get him clear of the shuttle before detonating it, why would Reed care if the explosion was big enough to wipe out a large area? It would only be forests or deserts or whatnot.

To be fair, I haven't read Planet Hulk, I do know that the explosion combined with the planet itself to fuck stuff up. But to me it doesn't make sense to leave Bruce Banner a fairly easy (for his intellect) way to get back home.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If the goal was to send the Hulk to a completely uninhabited planet, then wait long enough to get him clear of the shuttle before detonating it, why would Reed care if the explosion was big enough to wipe out a large area? It would only be forests or deserts or whatnot.

I just think it strikes me as not really Reed's style. To be fair right back at ya, I haven't read much about Reed lately, beyond the occassional issue of Civil War. But regardless of whatever bad decisions he's made, he doesn't strike me as the blow things up type - I just think he'd use a more efficient, less pyrotechnic way of rendering the shuttle un-usable.

It's possible that there wasn't intended to be enough fuel on the shuttle to go anywhere after landing on the intended target. That alone might've been enough to strand Hulk there, with no need for destroying the shuttle.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2007

I just think it strikes me as not really Reed's style. To be fair right back at ya, I haven't read much about Reed lately, beyond the occassional issue of Civil War. But regardless of whatever bad decisions he's made, he doesn't strike me as the blow things up type - I just think he'd use a more efficient, less pyrotechnic way of rendering the shuttle un-usable.

It's possible that there wasn't intended to be enough fuel on the shuttle to go anywhere after landing on the intended target. That alone might've been enough to strand Hulk there, with no need for destroying the shuttle.

I thought the entire point of a warp core lies in the fact that it doesn't run out like a conventional fuel source.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also, it's been implied that the Brood and Miek were behind the warp core exploding anyway.

Fencingsax on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also, it's been implied that the Brood and Miek were behind the warp core exploding anyway.
    Good point, in the latest incredible Hulk we see Miek click a button to start firing at Cho´s ship when he hears Cho saying he´s Hulk´s friend.

JCM on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    Good point, in the latest incredible Hulk we see Miek click a button to start firing at Cho´s ship when he hears Cho saying he´s Hulk´s friend.

Also remember when they asked Hulk if there were any to be spared, any friends, family, allies, etc.

He simply replied no, they were all just Puny humans.

So Miek's actions were not exactly suspicious there. Not saying that they won't reveal that they had something to do with it.

Personally I like the Reed/Stark being behind it better, it makes it a more dramatic story.

As opposed to the Hulk getting double betrayed by Earth friends AND warbound friends and winding up in a situation where both sides admit fault and all hug and hold hands in the end.

EclecticGroove on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was referring more to the "He's supposed to be angry! He's supposed to Smash! He's forgotten, and I'll help him remember!" Or words to that effect.

Also, the Brood has already betrayed him by making him a liar. He's not just here for the four Illuminati now.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    I was referring more to the "He's supposed to be angry! He's supposed to Smash! He's forgotten, and I'll help him remember!" Or words to that effect.

Also, the Brood has already betrayed him by making him a liar. He's not just here for the four Illuminati now.

Yeah, thats the only major thing I disagee with Hulk´s revenge. WTF has New York to be smashed?

Anyway, then I remeber I will see some nifty Romita Jr art of a city being destroyed, and that Namor is also coming as a 3rd party who might be for/against Hulk (if Namora gets hurt, most probably against), and everythings feel better.

JCM on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    It is ridiculously hard for me to believe that Reed and Tony purposefully sent Hulk to a world filled with people wanting to kill him and then blew it up on the off chance that he'd find happiness. The whole point of this was to try to make sure he was left alone, and alive. If you mean to tell me that that group of people couldn't have found a way to kill him out right, I'm...well, I'm not going to believe you.

Unless Miek, or some third party manipulating these events, caused the explosion, the destruction of Sakaar was an accident. A tragedy, yes, but to imply that Reed or Tony would purposefully destroy a populated world is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that there is basically no motive that would make sense for them to do so.

Is it possible for them to have planned for the ship to explode? Yes, although the fact that it took so long to do so is a pretty big clue that something went wrong, whether they intended for the explosion to happen or not. But their intention was to send him to an isolated world with no indigenous life and not to send him through a portal to Planet Gladiator.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007

Yeah, thats the only major thing I disagee with Hulk´s revenge. WTF has New York to be smashed?

Anyway, then I remeber I will see some nifty Romita Jr art of a city being destroyed, and that Namor is also coming as a 3rd party who might be for/against Hulk (if Namora gets hurt, most probably against), and everythings feel better.

I think Pak said that Hulk targeted Manhattan because he wants the heroes to see what it's like for their world to come crumbling down around him.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Extremely Localized War Hulk

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Nobody is saying they WANTED to kill a planet, we´re just saying Reed should know better.

-He didnt ask Banner first
    -He assumed that the ship would arrive there, even though Reed´s hips have a terrible record of doing so
    -If the exploson wasn on purpose and it was a "coincidence", he assumed that Hulk would use the door instead of breaking out.
    -He put a dangerous reactor, enough to outrage Cho when he found out about it (Youre a monster and You killed him! seem excessive for "just a simple energy core")
    -The explosion was strong enough to kill Hulk´s wife, remember that she survived a village being napalmed, and fought Hulk on equal footing, but the explosion from it was enough to kill her, and a city, while setting off a reaction to destroy an entire world.

If this was a criminal case, he´d be guilty for murder by negligence. Or stupidity.

I think Pak said that Hulk targeted Manhattan because he wants the heroes to see what it's like for their world to come crumbling down around him.
    Yeah, and for Iron Man, seems like its gonna happen, as the way marvel is paranoic these days, people will probably blame itall on him or something, although I sure as hell am curious how the FF vs Hulk vs Namor might turn out.

Funnily, 5 years ago Id be rooting for Reed and iron Man whenever Namor and Hulk went on rampages, now Im rooting the other way.

Thats some fine writing. Or terrible character demonization.

JCM on
    edited June 2007
    Well, I think if you look at the title as being Hulk as the king of another planet, it makes more sense calling this a world war than calling the two real world wars that.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Well, I think if you look at the title as being Hulk as the king of another planet, it makes more sense calling this a world war than calling the two real world wars that.

Unless a World War is a war that spans the world.

So this would be Worlds War Hulk, since it spans two worlds.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Interplanetary War Hulk.

Frankly I think this is just one of those situations where no one is really doing the right thing, although everyone believes they are doing the best they can. Except for possibly Miek and the Brood.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Meik and Brood have a right to be evil. Especially Miek. Basically he watched his species end. If Brood can bare his children then he owes her the world. Every one can get bent... Seriously.

graizur on
    edited June 2007
    As a rule, I don't trust things named "Brood."

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    Well the Brood as a species are basically parasites. Not really evil. I mean humans are parasites. We don't contribute anything to nature we just eat it and destroy it. While the idea of a completely parasitic race evolving sentience is a tough one once you have them they are required to follow through on their nature. They have every right to exist and copulate and perpetuate their species as anyone else.

graizur on
    edited June 2007
    As a rule, I don't trust things named "Brood."

You can trust the broodwich... it's delicious.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    it doesn't matter whether the core was meant to explode or not.

new warrior "causing" the stamford incident:people with extra-normal capabilities needing to register/be arrested to attempt to contain the potential collateral dmg they can cause::reed and stark inadvertantly (or not) blowing up a planet:some act to neutralize the threat they pose (hulk crippling/killing each of them)

see also: being registered does not protect innocent bystanders.

PantheraOnca on
    edited June 2007
    it doesn't matter whether the core was meant to explode or not.

new warrior "causing" the stamford incident:people with extra-normal capabilities needing to register/be arrested to attempt to contain the potential collateral dmg they can cause::reed and stark inadvertantly (or not) blowing up a planet:some act to neutralize the threat they pose (hulk crippling/killing each of them)

see also: being registered does not protect innocent bystanders.

Truth. However it is the 1st step toward accountability. Universal accountability.

graizur on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    registration as an idea is not a bad thing, the way it has been executed in CW is shitawful.

hulk being a natural disaster to wipe the sleight clean would make me a happy person, but i dont think that that is how this will pan out.

PantheraOnca on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    Well the Brood as a species are basically parasites. Not really evil. I mean humans are parasites. We don't contribute anything to nature we just eat it and destroy it. While the idea of a completely parasitic race evolving sentience is a tough one once you have them they are required to follow through on their nature. They have every right to exist and copulate and perpetuate their species as anyone else.

Sure, but they by definition can't perpetuate their race without the death of other sentient beings (I think.)

Other folks can. They don't, but they can.

august on
    edited June 2007
    The best solution for the Brood is basically if they advanced enough in technology to creat mindless clones that they could implant their eggs into. But I bet the stupid marvel heroes would try to free the mindless living implantation bodies. Or the Brood could work out a deal with the Inhumans for Alpha Primitives.

graizur on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, since per Heroes for Hire
    we now have all but explicitly been told that Miek/Brood are manipulating Hulk, caused the ship to explode and destroy Hulk's world, and that they're looking to exterminate everyone for their own reasons
    does anyone still believe that the Illuminati are the ones who
    caused the explosion?

mattharvest on
    edited June 2007
    Well, since per Heroes for Hire
    we now have all but explicitly been told that Miek/Brood are manipulating Hulk, caused the ship to explode and destroy Hulk's world, and that they're looking to exterminate everyone for their own reasons
    does anyone still believe that the Illuminati are the ones who
    caused the explosion?
    Since we have all but also explictly told that Reed had some plan that Hulk wouldnt come back, Cho got into a hissy fit calling reed a murderer and monster when he discovered the reactor, etc, I do need to read the Heroes for hire comic to finally have sometjhing telling me otherwise...

Even if it holds true, Iron man and Reed still deserve getting beaten up for playing god and sending the Hulk away, even though he again has just finished saving the world. Man.. feels like Civil War, with CW telling one thing, Iron Man showing another, and Spiderman another O_o

JCM on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A notion of possible future revelations:
    Reed may have placed a weapon on the ship that was Hulk-specific, which was harvested by the villains to kill Hulk with -later-, after Earth's cleansing, and replaced with the bomb. Reed may be second-guessing himself -wrongly-.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2007
    Juss a question, is it Heroes for hire #11? Saw nothing in it showing that, am I reading the wrong issue?
    Anyone got the # in which its revealed that it was
    Miek/Brood exploded the ship

(Its the only HFH at my mate´s place)

JCM on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    graizur wrote: »

Actually, humans aren't parasites, seeing as how we do, in fact, contribute to our environment.

But shit, you're graizur.

The Muffin Man on
This discussion has been closed.