As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's [Occupy Wall Street]

1939495969799»

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote:
    But you're right. I guess they're stupid for believing advice that was presented to them from nearly every authoritative figure in their formative years. And it's their fault the job market doesn't have a place for them.

This is a major issue. The generation under 30 in the U.S., and in the world at large, is much larger than the Boomers.

They are not stupid. They know that we are living in a period of wealth, productive capacity and technological prowess unmatched in human history. And they know they can't pay their fucking bills on their salaries, even if they have advanced degrees. Even if they can't put their finger on the exact what, they know something is wrong. If the answer to their complaints is "Nothing's wrong. You just fucked up," they're going to start thinking that shit is fucked up on purpose.

It might be a bad idea to completely delegitimatize the financial and political system of the entire world by saying "Suck it up losers, it's your fault." That is the historical recipe for social disintegration.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:
    But you're right. I guess they're stupid for believing advice that was presented to them from nearly every authoritative figure in their formative years. And it's their fault the job market doesn't have a place for them.
    My point is that if you're going to take out $120,000 in loans for any purpose, you need to think through what kind of return you're going to get on that investment. Too
    many people dive into college without thinking this through, and it's not the banks' fault.

Walking into a citibank branch and screaming "I'm $120K in debt" seems like a pointless exercise.

Que old joke about if you owe the bank 1 million dollars its your problem, if you owe them 100 million its their problem

• Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    Lolken wrote:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/john-stossel-occupy-wall-street-heckled_n_1019826.html

Just imagine if one of those hecklers had a gun (or, being the lazy buns they are, a knife): there'd be blood on the streets. Seeing the pathological hatred these people have for Fox, I'd not be surprised if they decided to devour his flesh, if need be.
    So your proof that OWS protesters are violent maniacs is a story about OWS protesters being angry and non-violent?

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2011
    Dude, just shut the fuck up. You've not posted a single relevant or rational thing in this entire thread.

Vanguard on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Lolken wrote:
    Lolken wrote:
    I'd ask you to prove that, but I know you'd just make up more bullshit anyway.

Yes, the September Massacres are figments of my overheated imagination, and not the logical consequence of instigating not class struggle/warfare, which exists and always will (as the Greeks have already proven),
    The causal relationship between the nobility not massacring the protesters and those protesters eventually getting violent, you silly goose.
    but the pathological desire to murder and rape your ideological oponent, a sentiment that's latent but rife the the OWS mob.
    Prove it, or stop saying it. And "I can't get any evidence but it's totally true and they're going to start shooting bankers any second now" does not actually count.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/john-stossel-occupy-wall-street-heckled_n_1019826.html

Just imagine if one of those hecklers had a gun (or, being the lazy buns they are, a knife): there'd be blood on the streets. Seeing the pathological hatred these people have for Fox, I'd not be surprised if they decided to devour his flesh, if need be.
    Oh no, protesters are saying mean things! If they had weapons, there would be mass carnage! Also, killing someone with a gun is a lot easier to do than using a knife, so I don't see how being lazy would make them more inclined towards the latter. And how are they lazy, again?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    My point is that if you're going to take out $120,000 in loans for any purpose, you need to think through what kind of return you're going to get on that investment. Too
    many people dive into college without thinking this through, and it's not the banks' fault.

Walking into a citibank branch and screaming "I'm $120K in debt" seems like a pointless exercise.

The thing is that a vast amount of this is the result of active deceptive practices by a wide variety of groups, many with a lot of power and authority, much like any of the other "American Dream" nonsense that people go on about.

People basically said "There are no cats in America!" and people bought into it and then oh actually there are a fuckton of cats in America.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Damn those non-violent protesters and their silly costumes!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited October 2011
    mrt144 wrote:
    Que old joke about if you owe the bank 1 million dollars its your problem, if you owe them 100 million its their problem

gr-student-loan-debt-300.gif

student-loan-debt-chart.png

Phillishere on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    mrt144 wrote:

gr-student-loan-debt-300.gif

student-loan-debt-chart.png

How does that correlate to the rise of for-profit universities, I wonder?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Lolken wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

Yes, the September Massacres are figments of my overheated imagination, and not the logical consequence of instigating not class struggle/warfare, which exists and always will (as the Greeks have already proven),
    The causal relationship between the nobility not massacring the protesters and those protesters eventually getting violent, you silly goose.
    but the pathological desire to murder and rape your ideological oponent, a sentiment that's latent but rife the the OWS mob.
    Prove it, or stop saying it. And "I can't get any evidence but it's totally true and they're going to start shooting bankers any second now" does not actually count.

This is a great argument for gun control. If they had guns, they would have killed him. Instead, they only had dozens of wooden cudgels available, and beating someone to death is just way too much work for a lazy deranged hippy.

Thank god, new york has such tight restrictions on the purchasing and carrying firearms.

You're silly.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Lolken wrote:
    Lolken wrote:

Oh no, protesters are saying mean things! If they had weapons, there would be mass carnage! Also, killing someone with a gun is a lot easier to do than using a knife, so I don't see how being lazy would make them more inclined towards the latter. And how are they lazy, again?

A knife is much cheaper than a gun. The protesters can't afford soap, as is abundantly obvious (and soap is cheaper than a gun), but they can afford to buy knives, or wooden cudgels, or just use their fists.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Vanguard wrote:

People that rack up $120,000 in student loans that their parents can't rescue them from are dumb, students and co-signing parents alike. The minimum payment on that has to be north of $1200 a month. Even pre-crisis, you can't reasonably expect to afford that on your typical post-collegiate entry level salary.

Hell, my father and I had this conversation in the 90s when I thought I was too cool for state school.

Deebaser on
    Chanus wrote:
    How does that correlate to the rise of for-profit universities, I wonder?

The cost of college has accelerated at every level - community, private and public. So has the cost of housing (on and off campus) and the other costs needed to keep someone fed, clothed and healthy for four years of limited or no employment. Life in America is fucking expensive as it is, much less when you have to spend 20+ working hours each week in a classroom. There's a reason there has been an explosion in homeless college students.

Grants and scholarships have also been cut. The type of government aid that didn't have to be paid back has shrunk, in favor of loans with fairly crappy interest rates (6 to 8 percent) considering the size of the debts, the federal backing to private lenders for default and the fact you can't discharge them in a bankruptcy.

One underreported fact is that unpaid internships have become critical to getting a job. That means that students now have even less time for working for money. For most, this is also covered by loans.

This discussion has been closed.