As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] Thread glitched out. Make a new one.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    A link with a lot more pictures here:

http://gematsu.com/gallery/soulcalibur-v/october-20-2011/

• Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    In Capcom games, there is a lot of hit-stun and damage scaling with successive combo hits. This doesnt seem to be a feature in Soul Calibur, since the game isnt based around elaborate that hit a ton of times. Is that correct?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    All fighting games have damage scaling these days. Stun scaling doesn't strictly apply, but there are limits to the number of stuns and staggers that can be done in one combo, as in Soulcalibur 4 you can only have 1 ground stun and 1 wall stun in each combo. The 2nd will just end it. That's where tech traps come in, letting a player reset the combo.

Another thing is that, like Virtua Fighter, many stuns can be struggled out of anyway.

One odd thing that Soulcalibur does is that it applies a counter-hit modifier to every hit after a stun. The attacks don't become counter hits in terms of damage, but after a stun the next attack will have its counter-hit properties, so you can either hit with another stun, or with a launcher. This is a very important part of the combo system.

Anyway, Raph with a hat, meh. Nightmare being Nightmare, wee. It was more about the leaked Nightmare icon having more human looking eyes than the last couple did that gave me any doubts that he would be the real deal.

Anyway, the nda isn't completely lifted. Namco has given exclusive rights for the guest character reveal to the likes of gametrailers, so that will happen tonight on gttv, which I guess is technically showing on Thursday on the east coast.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Raph's hat looks awesome in the concept art, but AWFUL in execution... maybe if it actually covered his face in shadows it might be cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, Astaroth is confirmed to be a new Astaroth. Seems they're finally in mass production mode.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    And now for the interviews that can be talked about.

From eurogamer, who talked to Tago:
    [T]his Nightmare is different from Soulcalibur 4, he's completely new," said producer Hisaharu Tago at a Namco Bandai press event attended by Eurogamer last night.

"In Soulcalibur 4 Nightmare actually died. But, as you can see, he's obviously back."

As in previous games, Nightmare's attacks are "very powerful", with "a lot of weight behind them".

Not sure what to make of this one. There was that thing about the new Nightmare being really fast, but the one they showed is clearly in the same stance as Soulcalibur 3 and 4 Nightmare, and in the screenshots he's doing moves that Soulcalibur 3 and 4 Nightmare did. On top of that, the Nightmare redesign they did in Soulcalibur 3 actually made him a much faster character to begin with, at least in his play style. Gameplay videos will tell the real story.
    Leixia (pronounced Lay-sha) is fast and agile. She is the daughter of Xianghua from Soulcalibur 4.

"Her features are that she's very quick and agile," Tago said. "When she uses her Critical Edge in combination with that she can do a tremendous amount of damage."

I heard from someone at the conference that they couldn't find a single decent low with the current Leixia. I want to see what kind of stance she ends up with.
    "Raphael has a lot of fans," Tago said. "He was highly requested by all of the fans for SoulCalibur 5, so we put him on a new journey.

"In SoulCalibur 4 he also died. So, how is he back? Why is he back? That will be a mystery for fans to think about."

I suppose the fact that they made him an immortal vampire doesn't make any difference? And a new journey, but with or without Amy? Could he be looking for her? That's all he seemed to care about before.

stream
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    So instead of JoJo, we got

2h2e712.jpg

I can live with that.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    New Raph is really going to town with his bat motif.

318623_264370430272963_157579717618702_759856_1606752172_n.jpg

As a further disclaimer, besides just the guest character's reveal tonight on gttv, there is still a general nda in place for all media from the event, and all info about both the release date and the collector's edition. When those are lifted there should be a new trailer, gameplay for the new characters as well as impressions of how they play from people who attended (who are all under the same nda), and a very firm release date.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Raph's hat looks awesome in the concept art, but AWFUL in execution... maybe if it actually covered his face in shadows it might be cool.

That's always seemed to be the case with SC. The 2d concept art is usually pretty neat, but somehow it loses it's charm in the jump to 3d.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    At least they ain't Street Fighter 4 ugly yet. It could be a lot worse.

Overall, more fantastical character designs are harder to get away with in the kind of 3d visual style that 3d fighting games go for.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Welp, they showed it, and it was Ezio. He and Nightmare were the only part of the trailer, which seems to be Ezio trying to assassinate Nightmare.

He used his little butter knives, and also a crossbow (or maybe a gun, I wasn't paying enough attention) he's got strapped to his back.

Also some nightmare gameplay, and I still don't know what Tago is smoking, because it was exactly the Soulcalibur 3 and 4 Nightmare moveset. They showed him doing 2a+b like 12 times. At least the eyeball in Soul Edge is moving around and blinking again.

I'll post the trailer thing once the episode is over and they've put it up online.

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bl_BVmq6lI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-character-soul-calibur/722737

For anyone interested:
    2mh5qp.jpg

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    the rainbows. they're everywhere

Nightmare and Ezio looks cool though.

• Options
    Another Eurogamer interview. Looks like we don't have to wait till tomorrow to get more info.
    Ezio is powerful at close and long range. He has six available weapons, including his Roman Longsword, Stiletto, Crossbow, Hidden gun and his Hidden blade.

Indeed, Ezio has more weapons at his disposal than any character in the game. Project Soul said during a demonstration in London that the team is currently working to balance the character so he is viable for tournament play.

"When we were thinking about the next guest character we asked, which would be the best possible match for the world of Soulcalibur?" producer Hisaharu Tago told Eurogamer. "It was always right there in front of our eyes that it was Assassin's Creed and Ezio. He was just a perfect match. At that point we contacted Ubisoft.

"They were very cooperative and eager to work with us. It was a lot of fun to work with Ubisoft once we got started, because they really love Ezio and the Assassin's brand. They provided us with this overwhelming volume of direction and information. That might seem like something that would be irritating and get in the way of our development, but that wasn't the case at all. They were very open in giving us a lot of guidelines.

Ezio features in both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the fighting game, as does a stage inspired by Assassin's Creed and background music lifted from the Assassin's Creed universe.

The Ezio in Soulcalibur is the younger version of the character taken from Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, rather than the older Ezio from the upcoming Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

"In Soulcalibur the story begins at the beginning of the Renaissance. Ezio also exists in the Renaissance. Ubisoft was actually very giving with us, saying he could exist in the world of Soulcalibur through the power of the Animus, so they were able to provide us with that story.

"That's why at the beginning of the trailer you see all those Animus type reboot sequences."

Is Ezio the only guest character in Soulcalibur 5?

"No comment."

And the Collector's Edition:
    Meanwhile, pre-order the game and you'll get con artist Lord Geo Dampierre, from Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny, as a playable character on the day of release.

The Collector's Edition comes in a specially designed "book" box, and includes an art book, original soundtrack CD, making of DVD, a DLC card for the Black Knight and Paladin armour sets, original artwork and a letter of appreciation signed by Project Soul.

And finally, Namco Bandai announced a Soulcalibur 5 release date: 3rd February 2012 in Europe and 31st January 2012 in the US.

ss_preview_2551SC_LimitedEdition_V3.png

There's also a video for Dampierre, and some screenshots..

stream
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Looks fantastic and fits right night. Hype levels definitely rising.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    How much is the advanced copy, and where can I reserve it? I kind of want this one day 1 so I can actually get decent at it...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    This is what's being used for the box art:

s111_wTWV48bq74bsCyu1bMM1QINW367dV4ch.jpg

stream
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    This is what's being used for the box art:

s111_wTWV48bq74bsCyu1bMM1QINW367dV4ch.jpg

I kind of hate that as a box cover. It's not badly rendered or anything, but there are going to be too many elements once you add in the title, the rating, etc.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You can actually see how the PS3 cover looks with all the logos on it in the Collector's Edition image.
    Page- wrote:
    For anyone interested:
    2mh5qp.jpg

A piece of script with character names thrown in...

And its exactly 30 lines. Interesting.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy shazam! Ezio looks badass in Soul Calibur...

I mean, he's badass in general, but jeeze

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Nice. I didn't want Nightmare to change, so this pleases me.

Also, nice use of "bereft".

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    My three mains in SC4 were Mitsurugi, Nightmare, and Zasa.

Sadly, things didn't turn out to well for the latter two balance wise. I mean Nightmare is good but he has such a bad time against punishment characters...and SC4 Zasa...was SC4 Zasa. And a lot of the punishment-heavy characters are also some of the better characters in the game so you can figure out that went for me a lot of the time.

That being said, them making Maxi better/safer gives me hope that the latter two(if Zasa or Zasa-eqivalent is in-game) will get some of that love too.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I have faith that there is some nerd out there desperately attempting to find out if all those scrambled file names are decodable real names.

As of right now, the only thing I am worried about is if they are going to shit the bed on making Bangoo a character. Cause if you are going to just forget about that motherfucker after basically creating a time skip that pretty much gives you EVERY REASON to finally add him ima be angry. Oh, and he better not just be a rock + 2 moves either. I am looking at something close to Spawn from SC2.

Also, with regards to that quote about Nightmare, I think you were reading it wrong. When he said its not SC4 nightmare, I am almost certain he was referring to storywise, not gameplay wise. Which is why he said he "died"

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote:

That's always seemed to be the case with SC. The 2d concept art is usually pretty neat, but somehow it loses it's charm in the jump to 3d.

I want to say it's not just SC. On the other hand, SC seems to have the biggest "execution gap"--going back to SC2 anyway.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I like how "We're trying to figure out how to balance ezio for competitive play" basically translates to "yeah we have no idea how to balance this guy for competitive play"

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    It could mean a lot of things.

He's suppose to have a lot of weapons right, thing about that is he could turn up being gimmicky or OP depending on what kind of combinations you give him.

I'm guessing they're trying to find a middle ground for him.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just take all of Ezio's weapons away, and give him The Apple :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Either way, I can't say it matters too much whether or not they make him competitive.

Most people who buy the game just to play with him will be content just fucking around with their friends more than likely.

Most people who play competitively in general probably won't get too attached to him since he's a guest character.

Really, main thing I hope is that they don't give him any easily exploitable stuff, but that goes for any character really.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpK6ZgQy_8g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyUa9jDh3f4&feature=player_embedded

Viola character walkthrough.

Ezio character walkthrough

When Tago talked about a new Nightmare he was referencing gameplay. We already know that Soulcalibur 5's Nightmare is a new character. According to his new bio he's got a new human host, which is obvious from the new artwork. Who the host is? That will be part of the story, but Nightmare's gender is still listed as male.

Speaking of bio details, apparently Leixia isn't Kilik's kid. She's the progeny of Xianghua and some Chinese general, and also has a little brother.

And the most important detail of all: Lexia does have crybaby.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Viola looks like she's going to be crazy once people learn how to use her.

• Options
    Apparently the accepted method for testing out characters was to set the ai to very hard and let them do the work.

Happy that there's now a build with characters I'm interested in. Really hope nec works out.

stream
  • Options
    Are they going to have a demo at NEC or something?

I know people were saying they were going to have one at DEV but that ended up being buckus.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Leixua looks completely identical to Xianhua from IV right now. I saw all of one new move... looks like her launchers don't launch quite as high anymore either. I was really hoping for some better lows so she could have a better mix-up game, but she's a copy/paste of her mom from early impressions.

Consider me disappointed :( At least I won't have to re-learn anything with her other than the new mechanics.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dampierre completely breaks any immersion to this game for me. That's weird to say when you consider the whole mythos in this game, but demonic juggernauts, sentient swords, goth girls, vampires, undead pirates and Star Wars guest characters didn't affect me as much as seeing Dampierre's fighting style. What the fuck is that shit at the end where he rings himself out with his opponent? That seriously looks ridiculous and stupid. Voldo had the most unorthodox fighting style in the game up to this point, but at least you could say his style was interesting and unique. Dampierre's like they took Wario from SSBM and just made him skinnier.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Gahh, I stopped following the story when Xianghua lost the Soul Calibur / Krita Yuga. Now it's just a bunch of yin-yang bullshit.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Dampierre completely breaks any immersion to this game for me. That's weird to say when you consider the whole mythos in this game, but demonic juggernauts, sentient swords, goth girls, vampires, undead pirates and Star Wars guest characters didn't affect me as much as seeing Dampierre's fighting style. What the fuck is that shit at the end where he rings himself out with his opponent? That seriously looks ridiculous and stupid. Voldo had the most unorthodox fighting style in the game up to this point, but at least you could say his style was interesting and unique. Dampierre's like they took Wario from SSBM and just made him skinnier.

Meh..."Joke" characters aren't really a new thing to fighting games.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Viola looks like she's going to be crazy once people learn how to use her.

35lf1uu.jpg

She apparently also has a destructible hood.

:winky:

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Are they going to have a demo at NEC or something?

I know people were saying they were going to have one at DEV but that ended up being buckus.

The rumour was that Namco would have something at DEV. I finally got the word that it was going to be Tekken and not Soulcalibur about 2 weeks before, which is why I didn't go.

Right now we're being told that there's something special planned for the Namco room at NEC, and now that we know the newest Soulcalibur 5 build is in North America, I'm hoping it's that. Could be Tekken again, though. But NEC is close enough that I'll be going regardless.

Of course, this means that Soulcalibur 4 should be out in time for Winter Brawl, putting the last Soulcalibur 4 major about a month or two away from the first Soulcalibur 5 major. Which is fine by me.

Currently it looks like Dampierre will stay banned in tourneys until he's released as a proper dlc character, but we'll still be playing him around here. One of our top players has been talking about maining him since Broken Destiny, and a little thing like a worldwide tournament ban isn't going to stop him. So I should get plenty of videos of him in action, at least.

There's some more system info from hands-on impressions, and most of it looks good.

First up, just guard is not spammable (as we've been told). It uses the start-up animation for blocks, so there's an actual window for it that can be anticipated, and once it's gone there's a gap before the next time it can be used. After a successful just guard, though, another can be used right away. Right now it seems like one of the biggest advantages for just guarding, especially against moves with multiple hits, is that it builds meter, while normal guarding doesn't.

Supposedly the frame advantage for guard impacts is higher, or the moves are just faster. But it's still a more devastating defensive option.

Stages are more interactive. Not only are there new walls (mid sized walls), and more folding walls, but some stages are tiered, if not precisely in the way we're used to. Stages can change between rounds, where skippable cut-scenes show the players being forced into different parts of them, altering how the match plays out. Jaxel cited the new ship stage, on which, before the final round, a cannon barrage will send players into the lower decks, where there are no more ring outs, but more walls.

Some stages work in the Dead or Alive model, only a ring out still ends the round. However, instead of resetting their places for the next, one player will jump down to the lower level and they'll keep fighting there. Seems like a decent compromise.

There's a lot more character specific banter before and after matches, which is neat.

Leixia doesn't have sxs, and I've seen at least 5 different people say that she's basically Kayane.

stream
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    Speaking of bio details, apparently Leixia isn't Kilik's kid. She's the progeny of Xianghua and some Chinese general, and also has a little brother.

So Kilik and Xianghua never got together? What the heck. They were like the only pairing in Soul Calibur that actually made sense. (Well, I guess also Hwang and Seung Mina.) I don't know why this bothers me, really.

• Options
    Seems that in the 17 years since, Kilik has gone missing, and Xianghua moved on or something. That her daughter is carrying around Kilik's little pendant will probably be a part of the story.

Still waiting on the obligatory stick-using character to cement things either way. Wouldn't even be surprised if Kilik made it into the game in some form.

So, besides that stream from Project Soul's offices that Daishi has said they will do (but not when), it looks like the next solid date for Soulcalibur 5 stuff will be Tokyo Game Night, which is exactly 4 weeks from now, and 2 months from release. Hard to believe they won't be trickling stuff out in the meantime, so I don't believe that at all.

stream
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Ezio don't need no wussy "fighting stance". He just stares down people like a friggin' statue. A statue that will shank you ten ways 'till Sunday once you turn your back. Or just whenever he damn well feels like it.

This discussion has been closed.