As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Artist Wanted!

ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
Greetings.

My artwork has been pretty much ripped to shreds every time I've tried posting it here, hence my decision to make this topic.

I love comics in all shapes and forms, and my dream is to someday make them myself. The sad fact (depending on how you look at it) I've realized is that I'm a much more talented writer than I am artist. My style of drawing would only be suitable for my more comedic comic ideas (if that, given the opinions of most of you here). I have a plethora of serious ones though, hence my motive for creating this topic.

I need a good artist whom I can collaborate and work with. I need an artist who is willing to work from a script, take helpful criticism or accept changes in order to further the project, etc. But most important of all, I need someone who will be DEDICATED, RELIABLE, and won't just slack-off or work when it's convenient. I want to create something worthy of shopping around to publishers, so if you find yourself interested in my proposal, you need to be 100% committed. Because by partnering with me, my idea becomes your idea. The art is just as important as the writing. Everything is 50-50. If you decide to join me in this project, you are becoming my partner, my coworker. The comic idea in question will essentially become just as much yours as it is mine.

Now that that's out of the way, I would like to see an art sample directly pertaining to this thread for anyone who's interested. If I see a piece that I am fond of and believe would work well for the tone of the series, then we'll start talking story, plot, characters, character arcs, so on and so forth. So for those that haven't lost interest yet, try your hand at drawing (in your style, however you see fit) the following character:

Tyler.jpg

As you can see by my design of the main protagonist (despite the fact it only took me ten minutes to whip up that picture), my art style is not suitable for the serious, emotional, and supernatural tone of the series. I'm not looking for praise or critique on my drawing. I just want someone to do their own version of it.
Whoever I eventually choose for this project needs to be able to create simple AND detailed drawings, must be able to work at a relatively good pace, and must be able to convey a lot of emotion through their art, and be able to draw a wide array of things (cool and believable -yet unique fight scenes, debris, explosions, shrapnel, energy effects, and general destruction being chief among them). I'd prefer someone who lives in the San Diego area, though if you're a good enough artist and can work through email, phone, and messengers, I'm willing to compromise.

I'm running out of venues for talented artists that share my passion for the comic industry and are willing to take some risks and partner up with me. I hope and look forward to finding someone here who believes they are up to the task.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
--John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
Zephonate on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ok, here's my entry!
    getbentds4.jpg

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread is going places.

It seems only fair that if you're demanding artists post a portion of their work, that you post some of your writing.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I know its not necessarily true but it sounds like your asking for free art. I would consider not requiring a thread activity for people to audition for a chance to partner with you, but just ask people for some samples of their work and go from there. I would also consider offering just a little more information. What is the length of the project you have in mind? Can we get a little bit of writing?

I'm not interested or anything, but If I was going to be, theres very little in what you've presented that would make me want to take the time to "apply" in this thread. You have it set up like your asking for an employee, not an equal partner who is free till you both get lucky.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wait, I forgot to draw his feet!
    feettz4.jpg

See, what you're asking is for an artist to blindly walk into a project without you submitting any sort of information on it other than letting us know beforehand that you want us to sweat blood over your brainchild.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zephonate wrote: »
    Tyler.jpg
    That is one damn sweaty leper.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The basic plot revolves around a 16-year-old boy named Tyler Moon. He attends Corona Hills High with his friends Alex and Sirus. Tyler comes from a tragic background. He was abandoned as a baby, his mother having died during childbirth, and his father mysteriously disappearing. He was taken in by two foster parents, one of whom was an abusive alcoholic. After emancipating himself, Tyler's foster parents eventually are killed in a drunk driving accident, and he inherits the house and a rather large sum of money, giving him the comfort of being able to live alone, without a job until he finishes high school.

Tyler, Alex, and Sirus have gotten into many brawls in the tenure of their friendship, protecting each other from bullies, gangs, and those who would do them harm. This practice has turned them all into somewhat adept fighters. But a schoolyard rumble goes from violent to supernatural when Tyler singlehandedly takes down four gang members with a previously unseen quality of superhuman strength and speed. And as the weeks go on, Tyler begins to realize he is developing some sort of otherworldly power. Eventually, after an emissary from the spirits watching over the universe trains Tyler in how to use his abilities, he is given the task of upholding the balance between good and evil in the cosmos.

I can post a sample script for the first episode if necessary, but that's a basic rundown of the general plot.

And if I may reiterate -I am NOT using this thread for people to "critique" my drawings. If you wanna bash them just like everyone else has, do it in my other thread. I'm looking for someone with a level of maturity a little higher than someone who wastes their time calling my drawings sweaty lepers. Let's do something productive here.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So you're looking for a critique on your art?

10 ) Do Not Ask for Art in a New Thread
    Do not start new threads to ask for free art, tattoo designs, Websites, etc. If you wish to commission paid work, ask in the CHAT or Questions/Discussion thread.

Click that spoiler. It is incredibly relevant and important. I'm serious. Really. Do it. Now. If you didn't then you're dumb. Come on. Just click it already. Fine. You won't?! Screw you.

Yeah, if I were to even think about helping you, I'd want to actually read what you have. That summary does not in any way show you're a good writer, but rather that you're good at taking some unoriginal ideas and stirring them up a bit.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't care what you call it, a 50-50 partnership or co-operative comic co-worker creation, you're still basically asking for someone to illustrate your script for free, on the prospect of some nebulous pie in the sky future payoff or something, maybe just the joy of being allowed to work on your assuredly brilliant brainchild which you haven't provided any excerpts from.

Any way you dice it this is a wrong way to even ask.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    matthewbmatthewb Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "If you want something done right, you may aswell do it yourself"

I love that line. Now, instead of having to rely on other people, why not continue drawing? Draw EVERY DAY! Develop your drawing skills. Then the comic would look exactly how you want it too, and not how you WANTED it to look, but someone drew it different.

If you practice your drawing, your really helping yourself, it'll make you feel good.

And who is the comic for, you? or this forum?

matthewb on
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That story is full of dumb cliches. Try harder.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I didn't know Squall was actually named Tyler.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    He changed his name when he was 17.

.... and he had plastic surgery to move his scar over to his forehead.

squall.jpg

But seriously...
    That synopsis was pretty -yawn-. Ive seen it a million times. Tragic super anti-hero?
    original.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, the plot basically sounds like the typical "Me and my buddies with super-powers" schtick.

Also, M-Toaster, you had me lolling over those pics =D

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Also, M-Toaster, you had me lolling over those pics =D

If at least one person enjoyed it, I am happy.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I was anticipating much more funny coming out of this thread.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dude, it was cliche after cliche there.

Full with stupid names.

Half the failed comics on the internuts have a main character with a stupid ethereal last name, a tough guy best friend with blatantly stupid name and a girl named alex.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    QUESTIONS

so how does a raging drunk become a foster parent? being adopted myself i find it interesting that every foster parent depicted in any story ever told is somehow evil to the core.

if he emancipated himself why is he entitled to his foster parents money when they die?

even if he hadn't emancipated himself do you really thing a foster child gets money if the foster parents die?
    because they don't. you might want to do some research as to what the role of a foster parent is.

your story blows much ass.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You could always try posting an/the story elsewhere, so the resident artists get an idea of what you're capable of and what you're planning.

But... that summary is a mite uninteresting. 'Course, blurbs can't always do a comic or novel justice, but it does sound pretty cliched.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    QUESTIONS

so how does a raging drunk become a foster parent? being adopted myself i find it interesting that every foster parent depicted in any story ever told is somehow evil to the core.

if he emancipated himself why is he entitled to his foster parents money when they die?

even if he hadn't emancipated himself do you really thing a foster child gets money if the foster parents die?
    because they don't. you might want to do some research as to what the role of a foster parent is.

your story blows much ass.

Hey man, you saw the drawing. This awful premise is all he has! You can't tear it up like that!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is Tyler's superpower that his head grows every day, threatening to break his spine and leave him crippled? Cause that's a pretty shitty superpower.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    These threads are better when the owner comes back and posts outraged rebuttals.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    You could always try posting an/the story elsewhere, so the resident artists get an idea of what you're capable of and what you're planning.

But... that summary is a mite uninteresting. 'Course, blurbs can't always do a comic or novel justice, but it does sound pretty cliched.

Are you suggesting he post in the WB?

Cuz I'm sure they'd love to read it.

Sheri on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is Tyler's superpower that his head grows every day, threatening to break his spine and leave him crippled? Cause that's a pretty shitty superpower.

That's exactly why The Leader is a shitty villian. The only thing that differenciates him from all the other super-genuises is his 3 foot tall head.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    xbainxxbainx Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll help you out man. Email me at mrgoodbytes@hotmail.com for some samples

xbainx on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »

Are you suggesting he post in the WB?

Cuz I'm sure they'd love to read it.

It could be interpreted like that, yes...
    If you guys think you do disbelieving cynicism well, think again. At the WB we'd likely eat him alive just cos. Even if he turned out to be the next Pratchett.

But see, interest has been expressed already! So there, naysayers.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so how does a raging drunk become a foster parent?

If his wife does all the work with the foster agency, I know this because of life

teamquiggan on