As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
what game News and Opinions do you read

present to me your resources

i will accept them graciously

Orikaeshigitae on

• scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    this place
    I live a sheltered life

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I generally get my game news from around here and maybe check a few sites once E3 or a similar event rolls around
    and maybe jack a friend's copy of Game Informer every once in a while

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    rockpapershotgun

joystiq

you guys here

destructoid sometimes

I'll see what Yahtzee has to say about things but I usually don't take much stock in his actual opinions because he is a jerk who is bad at games

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yahtzee.

That is all.

EDIT: Shit, I forgot Checkpoint.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    and yeah Joystiq is probably the site I see most besides this one.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I used to read kotaku out of sheer boredom

then they pulled that journalistic integrity batman stunt and I stopped

now I just hear things here

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Joystiq for news
    Giant Bomb for quicklooks
    1up for Jeremy Parish
    Killscreen and Brainy Gamer for intellectual stimulation

Them's the regulars.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Joystiq, 1Up, Rock Paper Shotgun, and GiantBomb occasionally

Otherwise, you guys, always <3

Sweeney Tom on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Rock Paper Shotgun is the best.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Joystiq for news
    1up for Jeremy Parish

Them's the regulars.
    what do you look for in 'intellectual stimulation'? i'm curious

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't really pay much attention to video game journalism. If there's a game I'm particularly interested in, I'll watch a video occasionally if a friend brings it to my attention. But for the most part I ignore the articles.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    I read Killscreen

cause you told me to, Karl

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I used to go to Voodoo Extreme back in the day. Still hit it every now and then to get headlines.

oh I also listen to the Bombcast every week and occasionally check out their QuickLooks if it's a game I know nothing about

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    I don't really pay much attention to video game journalism. If there's a game I'm particularly interested in, I'll watch a video occasionally if a friend brings it to my attention. But for the most part I ignore the articles.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The uh. The video game industry thread in G&T? <_<

I rarely go to sites on my own. And when I do, it is Gamasutra. Because I'm not interested in reviews really.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Giantbomb

RockPaperShotgun

and then various crappy big sites if they get an exclusive preview look or something, like Game Informer did for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

CYpGAPn.png
    hey can someone else complain about Yahtzee

I have opinions about him but I've voiced them so many times that I'd rather just have someone else bitch about him so I can agree with them rather than repeating myself

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    I really only follow Yahtzee with any regularity and only because he's entertaining, if I actually am interested in a game I'll talk to my friends about it

I stopped taking Yahtzee seriously a looooong time ago, but his videos aren't bad for a good laugh, or for pointing out the flaws in games I like.
    Too bad his Demon's Souls review is utter shit and points out all his deepest flaws as a reviewer.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:

I have opinions about him but I've voiced them so many times that I'd rather just have someone else bitch about him so I can agree with them rather than repeating myself

I think I've played, like

two games he's reviewed

and I only disagreed with one (TWEWY)

AH wait isn't he also on that dumb But what about the Gamer Demographic??? bandwagon

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I've pretty much reduced my intake to the GiantBomb podcast, Joystiq headlines (just for news), and Eurogamer articles.

Eurogamer is probably my favourite all round site, their podcast is great, their news reporting is on point, and their articles are always a good read.

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Joystiq for news
    1up for Jeremy Parish

Them's the regulars.

Not reviews, for starters.

Generally I look for articles about video games in some greater context. What do they give to us, what to we give to them, in what ways are they useful/harmful that aren't readily apparent. You read Killscreen, right? Because that's pretty much a perfect example (although at times it does feel just a little too hip). Interesting takes on interesting subjects, written competently. I can't really be much more specific, because I like being surprised by what I'm reading about.

I guess Extra Credits is a good example, too. They usually look in depth at an aspect of video games that would generally be glossed over.

What about you, sir? I know you're pretty opinionated on the matter.

YaYa wrote:

two games he's reviewed

AH wait isn't he also on that dumb But what about the Gamer Demographic??? bandwagon

oh god you're right

man, if you guys have done anything for my development as a human fucking being, it's pointing out that 'Us Gamers' is one of the stupidest things about the entire medium

edited October 2011
    gamer culture is the stupidest thing
    by the way who remembers when G4/TechTV was actually kinda good?

Also I miss EGM

Mortal Sky on
    Joystiq for news
    1up for Jeremy Parish

Them's the regulars.

Not reviews, for starters.

Generally I look for articles about video games in some greater context. What do they give to us, what to we give to them, in what ways are they useful/harmful that aren't readily apparent. You read Killscreen, right? Because that's pretty much a perfect example (although at times it does feel just a little too hip). Interesting takes on interesting subjects, written competently. I can't really be much more specific, because I like being surprised by what I'm reading about.

I guess Extra Credits is a good example, too. They usually look in depth at an aspect of video games that would generally be glossed over.

What about you, sir? I know you're pretty opinionated on the matter.

i'm considering doing some more game writing and i am wondering what people's reading trends are, and what that says about the kind of game writing that people want to read

killscreen does seem a little too invested in their own hipness - as i said in another thread, my ideal gaming publication is one that feels more like mid-70s rolling stone than a limited-run poetry/design chapbook that until recently was basically only available in print form

i stopped subscribing to them because i thought, well, why am i reading this in print when all i want to do is email articles to people to talk about them

YaYa wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

two games he's reviewed

oh god you're right

man, if you guys have done anything for my development as a human fucking being, it's pointing out that 'Us Gamers' is one of the stupidest things about the entire medium

all hail eegra, bringers of enlightenment and butt jokes

Mortal Sky wrote:

Also I miss EGM

EGM was so goddamn good

I mean

mostly

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Also I miss EGM

EGM was so goddamn good

I mean

mostly

I still pick up EGM

If only because no matter how bad that mag may get at times, I always have Seanbaby's magazine-ending article to look forward to

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote:
    Mortal Sky wrote:

Also I miss EGM

EGM was so goddamn good

I mean

mostly

It was back for a bit.

Is it gone again?

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    I saw an article that talked about how videogames might actually be detrimental to the development of hand-eye coordination

For some reason, I never saw it posted on Kotaku.

Hacksaw wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

This is correct.

i do like 'em and read them regularly but i don't only play games on pc

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote:

This is correct.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I like giantbomb a bunch.

I generally go to gamerankings

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'll pick up a copy of PC Gamer if I'm flying, just to give me something to read on the airplane. Otherwise, I'll look up videos of games I'm interested in, but that's it.

Peccavi on
    YaYa wrote:

yo, elaborate on dis

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    The only "review" of Yahtzee's that I ever really liked was the one he did for Demon's Souls only because it fully encapsulated my feelings for the game at the time. I've since learned to love it but those first several hours were hellacious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQSCKAPqxoo

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I find Yahtzee annoying because of the people who take him at face value when he even says that he just shits on games for the comedic effect.

Kind of my own fault I guess, though, for looking at the escapist forums.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am technically an intern for Destructoid.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.