As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Friday Sept. 30, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-3P2jJ7g-L.jpg

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I am going to need all sorts of newspost to figure out what the hell is going on here.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Butterfly of Doom

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Just based on how much Gabe has been talking about it, this has to be the Burnout game, right? The ambulance is driving along and suddenly 6,000 CAR PILEUP!

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    OolongOolong Registered User regular
    Yeah-- all you guys who usually complain about not understanding the context of perfectly clear comics like, say, the last one?

Here you go. Go crazy. :-)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am going to need all sorts of newspost to figure out what the hell is going on here.

Eeeeyup.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GallowglasserGallowglasser Registered User new member
    I want to understand this comic. But it isn't letting me.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, Gabe tweeted that you'll want to have tried Burnout Crash to get this one.
    edit: also, the comic is titled 'Probably Not', which helps the joke.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm going to confess that I've never played any Burnout games, nor have I felt the need to. Which doesn't speak of their quality, it's just not the game for me.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    I wouldn't want Doctor Beat to help ever, if he looks like that.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That's a lovely explosion.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    WMain00 wrote:
    I wouldn't want Doctor Beat to help ever, if he looks like that.

actually he looked like this, which is worse if you ask me.

Dr_Beat_1.JPG

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It seems like the comic is making fun of a maybe overly delicate car in Burnout. Hence, the butterfly landing on it causing it to explode.

• Options
    Marathon wrote:
    It seems like the comic is making fun of a maybe overly delicate car in Burnout. Hence, the butterfly landing on it causing it to explode.

Basically, every time a car gets through unharmed you get a big red X, and you fail a round if you get five. BUT there's an ambulance that drives through and if that escapes untouched, one of those X's gets removed. So you really want the ambulance to survive.
    The ambulance driver, however, may not be the best at concetrating on where he shBRA-KOOM

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    I enjoyed this comic, coming from someone who loves Burnout Crash.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I love Burnout. My favorite racing games are the ones that are all about crashing other people's cars.

I'm good at those ones.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    That's probably the BEST written explosion sound I've ever seen. BRA-KOOM!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I played the Burnout demo that come on my 360 a whole bunch early on when I had only bought one game. It definitely seemed like a cool series.

Dunno how I feel about a comic that requires an understanding of a recent game that isn't a total market blockbuster to be funny at all. Usually when they do game-specific comics they can still be funny, even if you have no understanding of the game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    So, the point of the game is to cause a wreck at an intersection, which other cars mindlessly plow into?

This is my best guess after seeing the video on their website.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Nice and simple, I like it

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    kingworks wrote:
    So, the point of the game is to cause a wreck at an intersection, which other cars mindlessly plow into?

This is my best guess after seeing the video on their website.

The other cars make vague efforts to get out of the way.

In the comic though, it's the ambulance, which you need to avoid crashing and yet, like all cars, will explode if it so much as taps another object.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Burnout Crash looks like a smartphone game. Not something you need fucking Kinect for.

• Options
    In 2023, after we discover the plentiful C4 mines on Mars, all cars will be constructed from plastic explosives

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nobody ever suspects the butterfly...

• Options
    Burnout Crash looks like a smartphone game. Not something you need fucking Kinect for.

You don't need Kinect for it. It's just something that's there in case you have Kinect.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:

You don't need Kinect for it. It's just something that's there in case you have Kinect.

"Whoops!"
    "You sat on your Kinect, dude!"
    "I ... didn't even know I had one."
    "Those things pop up everywhere, man."

• Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Suicide Bomberfly.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Um... in that video, is it just me or does Dr. Beat look exactly like Freddy Mercury?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Never trust a butterfly

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I love the little kid doing Michael Jackson moves in the music video. Curses to Penny Arcade giving me another great song.

The other of course being
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NOEDSrYRx0

• Options
    MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote:

Oh my God! Now I can't stop singing the comic!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I love Burnout. My favorite racing games are the ones that are all about crashing other people's cars.

I'm good at those ones.

My metric for the quality of racing games when I was younger was the quality of the crashes.

The zenith was the arcade game with the life-size Ferrari and massive screen, where if you crashed the blonde in the passenger seat flew out of the car into the scenery.

If Burnout had existed back then, Younger Me would have never removed the disc.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    dedbodiezdedbodiez Registered User new member
    Thankfully, I was cramming the hell out of League of Legends into my 'schedule' a long time (if there is such a thing) before PA's Gabe and Tycho got their hands on it and began spreading it's illustrious word

Also, did anyone else notice (in terms of LoL) that after PAX Prime was over the servers were insanely overloaded for nearly a week straight? Half hour long queues and what not? I guess conventions for gamers by gamers can do insane things TO GAMES

Anyway, here I am, downloading a demo for a game I had no interest in trying but because of repeated comments about and now a comic for, I must see what this Burnout is all about -

I played the old ones, but they were always more novelty than race

For me, it was always about the 'destruction' modes, not the 'hey watch my car blow up in your face and wreck you out so I can attempt to get 1st place'

Just blows me away how I am following an almost trend set by an online comic to tryout a game I would otherwise not even bother with

• Options
    DoinkerDoinker Registered User new member
    see317 wrote:
    Nobody ever suspects the butterfly...

Best thing to come from this comic.

• Options
    bei337bei337 Registered User regular
    Can't wait for tonight's game with the Penny Arcade guys! Remember to check http://10winstreak.com at 9 PM PST for the LIVE stream!

League of Legends LIVE Stream for Charity:
    http://10winstreak.com
  • Options
    I love the little kid doing Michael Jackson moves in the music video. Curses to Penny Arcade giving me another great song.

The other of course being
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NOEDSrYRx0

fucking funky as hell

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh! They actually use the song in the game according to the newspost. I thought it was damn weird reference to just throw into the comic.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    DOC DOC DOC DOC DOCTOR BEAT

• Options
    Funky JFunky J Registered User new member
    Hey, in case you didn't know, the theme song "Crash" is also an old 90s song - Primitives "Crash"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDb4FZC69gw

• Options
    Kuroi KazeKuroi Kaze Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Since I don't know where else to put this since I can't create threads I'll just post here:

I have a timeslot for the PA Warehouse sale today at 3:20 and I had a couple cancels so I can take a person or two along. I feel it is a waste to have it all to myself and want to help someone that maybe didn't get a chance to buy a slot. If you would like to go contact me at this username (no spaces) at the gmail.com addy where I will figure out the details with you. No 420's or kids please.

sig.gif