As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So we're done with that Iraq War thing, apparently.

2»

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    We should invade someplace nice. Is there anyone in Western Europe we don't like right now?

I vote France. I could really go for a hamburger and some Freedom Fries right now.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    I thought we were still going to leave a significant military force there as "administration", or something? I can't remember the details.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    I thought we were still going to leave a significant military force there as "administration", or something? I can't remember the details.

We were, but the new Iraqi Constitution requires parliament to approve immunity for foreign military personnel. And that wasn't going to happen. So everyone (except 100-200 stationed in the Embassy) are coming home by the end of the year.

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Wait, would invading Mexico result in cheaper tacos?

I am all about cheaper tacos.

they're free if kobe shoots 100 people
    111910-NBA-Kobe-Bryant-Black-Ops-JW_20101119153922_660_320.JPG

Kobe getting 100 shots off is no problem. Of course, he'll miss 60% of them.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So the real question is how many soldier are we going to leave behind after the war is "officially" over?

TPM says we still have a good 9,500 contracts still in Iraq after January 2012
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/soldiers_may_be_leaving_iraq_but_contractors_are_just_scaling_back.php

Edit: Looks like it might be between 3-5k left for iraqi training
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/22/world/middleeast/president-obama-announces-end-of-war-in-iraq.html

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote:
    Nought wrote:
    In all seriousness, would an annexation of Mexico be that bad of an idea?

It'd be really bad for the US, great for Mexico. It would be like the German reunification, just bigger in every way.
    so it'd be great for suffering poor people, bad for relatively rich people?

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So the real question is how many soldier are we going to leave behind after the war is "officially" over?

TPM says we still have a good 9,500 contracts still in Iraq after January 2012
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/soldiers_may_be_leaving_iraq_but_contractors_are_just_scaling_back.php

Edit: Looks like it might be between 3-5k left for iraqi training
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/22/world/middleeast/president-obama-announces-end-of-war-in-iraq.html

Soldiers, basically none. Just the embassy guards.

Contractors are a completely different story. Yes, we will still have several thousand contractors assisting in training the Iraqi forces. But the difference between contractors and soldiers is not mere semantics; they differ in equipment, mission, posture, and (likely) in their legal status while operating in Iraq.

So, to answer your question, the answer is "pretty much none." The war is over, and our troops are outta there.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    This has been a banner year for US forces and NATO.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aren't we also reducing the military personnel in afganistan by 50%? That's great news as well. Hopefully we'll end both of our wars by 2012 and people from my graduating class can stop being "heroes" for the GOP to shit all over.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    My deployment window is March to August of 2012.

We'll see how this affects my chances.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    a5ehren wrote:
    Nought wrote:

It'd be really bad for the US, great for Mexico. It would be like the German reunification, just bigger in every way.

It depends on what we do once we annex them... if we turn it into a fully-fledged part of the US, it would be great for them (except the whole invasion + forcible annex thing), but if we kept them as territories, a place for cheap labor and resources to be extracted, it wouldn't be so hot.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    a5ehren wrote:
    Nought wrote:

Becoming part of America? Hah

The rich would just lower the standard of living for the poor enough so that the new citizens didn't qualify for any benefits

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    All joking aside, am I the only person who reads news like this and then just sits there, feeling massively ignorant? My first inclination was "Yay less Americans fighting/ my cousin comes home!" The second on was "But is Iraq actually going to be ok? And what does that even entail?", "How do I not have a better informed opinion on this?"

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    As long as it doesn't cause another 9/11, Iraq can explode for all I care.

(Yes, I'm being hyperbolic.)

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    As long as it doesn't cause another 9/11, Iraq can explode for all I care.

(Yes, I'm being hyperbolic.)

I think all these seal-in-the-night strikes were a way of saying "we can still come and shoot you if you cross us" to make pulling out less risky. The threat of a sniper's bullet between the eyes while you sleep is not good for terrorist recruiting.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    With Libya, Osama and Iraq on Obama's resume he has a good foreign policy rap going into 2012.

But too bad the economy is ISSUE NUMBER ONE.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    And just in time for election season. My, what a coincidence.

Yeah, it was kind of nice of President Bush to do that.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Aren't we also reducing the military personnel in afganistan by 50%? That's great news as well. Hopefully we'll end both of our wars by 2012 and people from my graduating class can stop being "heroes" for the GOP to shit all over.

Unless something changes, we're in Afghanistan until 2014.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    All I ask is that we invade somewhere with sandy beaches, fruity drinks, and hot chicks in bikinis next.

Cuba?
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:

lolwut

SOFA was a non-binding agreement, and Gates had stated that perhaps thousands of troops should remain in Iraq after the 2011 withdrawl.

Not to mention that SOFA has been on the books since 2008. The timing of this confirmation of the withdrawl date, in combination with the stated goal of removing all troops, strikes me as being rather convenient.

In any case, it's a positive development.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote:
    All I ask is that we invade somewhere with sandy beaches, fruity drinks, and hot chicks in bikinis next.

Cuba?
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:

lolwut

SOFA was a non-binding agreement, and Gates had stated that perhaps thousands of troops should remain in Iraq after the 2011 withdrawl.

Not to mention that SOFA has been on the books since 2008. The timing of this confirmation of the withdrawl date, in combination with the stated goal of removing all troops, strikes me as being rather convenient.

Non binding in the sense that we could have told the Iraqis that we changed our mind without them being able to respond, but still, we did have this agreement with them for many years. As for Gates's predictions from 2008, sure, that was what he might have envisioned, but that was always subject to negotiation with the Iraqi government, and since they seem to have decided that they didn't want foreign troops running around outside their control, it seems that there won't be much of a transitional force.

besides, Bush probably figured that president Palin would get the credit from the timing when he initially set up this timetable.

• Options
    dojango wrote:
    The Ender wrote:

Cuba?
    moniker wrote:
    Derrick wrote:

lolwut

Non binding in the sense that we could have told the Iraqis that we changed our mind without them being able to respond, but still, we did have this agreement with them for many years. As for Gates's predictions from 2008, sure, that was what he might have envisioned, but that was always subject to negotiation with the Iraqi government, and since they seem to have decided that they didn't want foreign troops running around outside their control, it seems that there won't be much of a transitional force.

besides, Bush probably figured that president Palin would get the credit from the timing when he initially set up this timetable.

I'm not pretending that the timeline is apolitical, there's a reason tax hikes never go into effect in November, I'm just saying that this isn't some shocking development. After deciding to scrap his campaign proposal that everybody get out by 2009 (in favour of shooting Osama bin Laden in the face, twice) Obama has basically stuck to the existing timeline. The existing timeline said that everybody comes home at the end of the year. This announcement says that everybody is coming home at the end of the year. This is only surprising if you basically figured that everyone was lying the entire time for the past 4 years. That isn't precisely an idiotic belief, but it is an incredibly cynical one that doesn't really make much sense considering the external factors involved.

• Options
    Yeah, the main new development is the one that there isn't going to be a transitional force, because of the Iraqi government's (rather sensible, imho) decision not to grant immunity to foreign troops.

• Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    We gotta think big here if we're gonna get outta this economic jumble.

It's time to invade the moon.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'd say invade Pakistan (those guys are being dicks), but they also have nukes.

^The moon is getting uppity.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I say Suriname. Nobody ever expects Suriname.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote:
    Bombing the shit out of places to keep things from getting too violent. Makes all kinds of sense to me.

If everyone's dead, then they can't be violent, it's obvious really.
    death_he.jpg

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Gosling wrote:
    I say Suriname. Nobody ever expects Suriname.

fuck that, its time we reassert dominance and make history and its the right time of year too
    we will be the first to take and hold russia....
    in the winter...
    and we'll go by way of kamchatka (can't spread ourselves thin going through europe)
    napolean and hitler didn't know what they were doing
    also Bubba, he would miss only 54% of the time :P

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    All joking aside, am I the only person who reads news like this and then just sits there, feeling massively ignorant? My first inclination was "Yay less Americans fighting/ my cousin comes home!" The second on was "But is Iraq actually going to be ok? And what does that even entail?", "How do I not have a better informed opinion on this?"

The truth is there is no one who knows, not even the so called "experts". Iraq could trundle along for the next decade in a state of shambles slowly rebuilding for the next decade or it could explode into sectarian civil war. My money is on the former but frankly my guess is as good as anyone elses.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

Well, Iraq very probably isn't going to "be ok". Remember how there was basically a civil war going on there a few years ago, with massive violence between Shias and Sunnis? Well, most of those problems are still around.

The violence subsided for several reasons, including the "surge" of US troops. As well, Iraq and particularly Baghdad became effectively segregated; where Shia and Sunni used to live side by side, only one remained. Massive walls were built throughout Baghdad to separate different religious neighbourhoods. Millions of people fled their homes, those who were able (usually meaning those with education and good jobs) left the country, others fled to other areas inside Iraq.

As well we had the "Sunni Awakening". Sunnis are a minority, and were in power under Saddam. Sunni groups (including wahabbi groups like al-queda in Iraq or whatever they called themselves) were responsible for a great deal of the violence, though of course the Shia were very, very far from being innocent. But the awakening happened when the US was able to negotiate with Sunni clans and get them to stop fighting and come to the negotiating table. I have a problem with this strategy, since the negotiations including giving money, training and weapons to these Sunni groups so they could fight terrorists. However these groups that were armed were the very same that were attacking US forces a year earlier. They have no fundamental loyalty to the US, and indeed a lot of reasons to hate the US and the Shia majority. It was convenient to arm these groups at the time, but this is going to come back and bite at some point. Much how the US also trained mujihadeen in Afghanistan back in the day, more people with no fundamental loyalties to the US, and we all see where that went.

And, hell, well there's plenty of other problems too. The Kurds basically have their own country... but are not actually going to get one officially. Turkey has been conducting semi-regular raids into northern Iraq to fight Kurdish rebels there. Iran has been fighting along its border as well recently. The Kurds will have to be pulled into the central government somehow, it will not just be left as an autonomous region since it has both resources and is a breeding ground for rebels (keep in mind that Kurdish territory is northern Iraq, southeastern Turkey and northwestern Iran, so the Kurds are never just an Iraqi issue).

The political situation in Iraq is pretty messy. Malaki (the prime minister) is very friendly with, if not a puppet of, Iran. I thought Iraq doesn't even have a properly functioning government right now due to internal divisions, but someone voted to not accept US troops back so I guess they have something going on. A quick wiki check shows me that along with being PM, Malaki is also Minister of National Security Affairs, Minister of the Interior, and Minister of Defense. Can't say I know why, but a normal government is not run that way.

Anyway, the biggest beneficiary to all this is Iran. Its a Shia country so has a lot in common with the majority Shia of Iraq. Iran has been making a ton of political and economic links to Iraq, as well as funding anti-US rebels. Once the US fully leaves we'll see Iraq gradually (or perhaps quickly) get even closer to Iran politically and economically. Though really, anyone who can provide basic security and basic services to the population will be loved by all. Bombings and attacks are a daily feature of life in Iraq, though you don't hear it too much on the news, why, 4 people were blown up in Baghdad just today. Baghdad, unless this changed in the past couple months, is *still* without many basic services that were destroyed in the war. It still has electricity for only a few hours a day, and has problems with water, sewage, waste removal and so on. Iraq is really a country being held together by shoe strings at the moment, and any break will see more political upheaval.

Wow that was way longer than I planned.
    tl;dr: Iraq is a mess, and still has a lot of changing to do, almost certainly closer to iran, maybe violently

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    double

edit: for more discussion on this and other topics, please see our ongoing Middle East Thread

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:

Maybe Puerto Rico?

Seriously, though, no more deserts. Been there, done that.

This is the eternal dilemma of American foreign policy, of course...you always want to avoid a country with women wearing bikinis, but as soon as you do, poof, no more women in bikinis.

Bay of Pigs in Cuba, North Vietnam, etc. And it takes a few years for the bikinis to come back afterwards.

It's the immortal "This is why we can't have nice things" problem.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

Maybe Puerto Rico?

This is the eternal dilemma of American foreign policy, of course...you always want to avoid a country with women wearing bikinis, but as soon as you do, poof, no more women in bikinis.

Bay of Pigs in Cuba, North Vietnam, etc. And it takes a few years for the bikinis to come back afterwards.

Its lack of pussy that fucks countries up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL-j-Vl3wHE

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

Maybe Puerto Rico?

There aren't many countries where the reverse is the case--the one that comes to mind is the Soviet Union, after 1945, where there were way more young women then young men.

On the other hand, now I understand why Patton really wanted to invade.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    [Tycho?] wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

Maybe Puerto Rico?

There aren't many countries where the reverse is the case--the one that comes to mind is the Soviet Union, after 1945, where there were way more young women then young men.

On the other hand, now I understand why Patton really wanted to invade.

I think like a third of 19-22 year olds in France died in WWI so I imagine the survivors had some stuff to drown out the nightmares.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    We should invade someplace nice. Is there anyone in Western Europe we don't like right now?

I vote France. I could really go for a hamburger and some Freedom Fries right now.

Le Big Mac

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Invade Bhutan please.

I would like to know more about that place. So I need more media coverage of it. And wars bring media.

PSN: Honkalot