As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo 3DS]: Dillion's Rolling Western, Mario Tennis, Spirit Camera!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
3dsheader.png

Welcome to the Nintendo 3DS thread!

Games, Games, Games!

Great 3DS games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Cave Story
Super Mario 3D Land
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Super Street Fighter 4 3D
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Star Fox 64 3D
Shinobi
Nano Assault
Sonic Generations
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Mario Kart 7
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Resident Evil Revelations
Tekken
Tales of the Abyss

Upcoming games to look out for in 2012:

IGN report on amazing 3DS games coming down the pipe.
Metal Gear Solid 3 2/21
Crush3D 2/21
Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure 2/28
Kid Icarus Uprising 3/23
Heroes of Ruin 4/3
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Luigi's Mansion 2
Mario Tennis 3DS
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Animal Crossing 3DS
Paper Mario 3DS
Fire Emblem 3DS
Monster Hunter Tri-G
Monster Hunter 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsW6TksMqR4

eShop, Virtual Console, DSi, and Club Nintendo games

The Nintendo eShop

Plenty of games, movies, and apps to be found here. Download Virtual Console and DSi games, movies trailers, demos, or try out some new 3D remakes of classic games.

Great eShop games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Twin Bee (3D Classics)
Mighty Switch Force (3dsWare)
Pushmo (3dsWare)
VVVVVV (3dsWare)
Zen Pinball (3dsWare)
Mutant Mudds (3dsWare)
Kid Icarus (3D Classics)
Sakura Samurai (3dsWare)

Virtual Console games

You can download older games on the 3DS. Classic portable systems such as the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, and the TurboGrafx-16. In addition, NES games recently became available to early adapters of the 3DS as a payback for paying the $250 launch price tag. For a complete list of games available, click on this link.

Great VC games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

Super Mario Land (GB)
Donkey Kong (GB)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (GB)
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC)
Blaster Master: Enemy Below (GBC)
Tetris (GB)

DSi games

Older DSi games are also available for download on the 3DS as well. There are plenty to choose from and, to make everyone's life easier, our own UncleSporky has created a list of some of the best games to get. Here is a site that reviews DSiware games.The only site I know of that reviews every DSiware game

Great DSi games that you should totally own (in no particular order):

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure
Shantae: Risky's Revenge (amazing platformer)
Art Style: AQUITE/AQUIA (puzzle game with a neat aesthetic)
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (pixel puzzle game)
Dark Void Zero (old school platformer)
X-Scape (first person space shooter thing)
Cave Story (another amazing platformer)
Dr. Mario Express (classic puzzle game)
Puzzle Challenge Express (classic puzzle game)
Photo Dojo (simple but hilarious 2 player fighting game)
Rayman (classic 2D platformer)
Mighty Flip Champs! (platform puzzler)
Alphabounce (long, extensive brick-breaking RPG)
Soul of Darkness (quality Castlevania knockoff)
Inchworm Animation (full featured animation studio)
Zenonia (great Zelda-style RPG)
Ivy the Kiwi? Mini (weird little platform puzzler)
Mighty Milky Way (gravity-based puzzler from the Shantae people)
Dragon Quest Wars (tiny strategy game)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (great puzzler)
Castle of Magic (action platformer)
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (just...what)
Chronos Twins (interesting dual screen mechanic action game)
Plants vs. Zombies (duh)
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (if you haven't played it yet)
Viking Invasion (tower defense)
Gaia's Moon (side scroller action)

Free games via Club Nintendo:

Nintendo is now allowing players to buy download games for their Wii, DSi, and 3DS via the Club Nintendo website. All first party games, and some third party titles, offer codes that you can enter on the official Nintendo website. Fill out a survey and earn coins (and an additional follow-up survey for extra coins). The coins can buy a variety of posters, cases, and various neat stuff. But the games are where it's at. Every month, Nintendo is offering up four games to download. Here's the current list:

Art Academy: First Semester - 3DS (150 coins)
Mario Party 2 - Wii (150 coins)

Featured Applications:

Nintendo Video: A free download app that randomly adds short 3D movies to watch. Blue Man Group, College Humor, and Dreamworks have all contributed.
SwapNote: A free download app that allows you to send notes, pics, and sound clips to friends via Street Pass or Spot Pass.
Netflix: Link your account to your 3DS to watch (2d) movies on the small screen.
Hulu Plus: Just like Netflix, link your account to watch TV shows on the go.
3D movie recording: Record up to 10 minutes of 3D footage and upload it to youtube.
Game demos: Download demos of upcoming 3DS releases.
System Transfer: Transfer information from an existing DS, DSi, or 3DS to a 3DS. Great for when the inevitable redesign hits the scene.
A full list of additional built-in software can be found on Nintendo's 3DS site.

Other final things to do as a 3DS owner:

Connect with fellow PA people

Sir Ultimos has created a friend code matching system for us to easily connect with each other. Check it out: Sir Ultimos web site and friend code matcher.

Extend that battery life
The 3DS does have a less then optimal battery life, but Nyko has released a battery pack to great reviews. See for yourself if you're interested:
Lunker wrote: »
And yes, that Nyko battery review on Joystiq really got me excited:
'll stop with the suspense: does the Power Pak + work? Pretty much! Here are the results of my experiment.

3D on, brightness maximum, wireless on:
Nyko Power Pak +: 5:33
3DS battery: 2:52

3D off, brightness at minimum, Power-Saving on, wireless off:
Nyko Power Pak +: 9:04*
3DS battery: 4:40

*only tested once, because it took nine hours

Plus it doesn't look nearly as bulky as people were saying:

nyko3312.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Niiiiiice! Straightforward and very clean looking.

Its good that the previous character limit is back too I've noticed.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised at the lack of people talking about Pokemon Rumble Blast. It's coming out on Monday, it's Pokemon, and it looks to be a dungeon crawler. With Streetpass. And Spotpass. Seems like a great game - what's the deal?

• troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    yay new thread!

Is Pokemon Rumble Blast unworthy of mention in the OP? My kid is picking it up Monday I think, he pre-ordered it.

• GrimmDaemonGrimmDaemon Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to pick up Rumble Blast on Monday, I've got a friend who is probably into it as well so at least we can Streetpass and Co-op (I'm pretty sure it has co-op).

3DS: 1032-1256-1103
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Blame me for the lack of there being any mention of rumble or blasting.

I'm not a Pokeracist though, I swear!

NNID: Rehab0
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I know a couple people who are interested in it. Early impressions of it being like a Pokemon Diablo interested me a little too, but not enough to spring for it unless reviews are just completely amazing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited October 2011
    Blame me for the lack of there being any mention of rumble or blasting.

I'm not a Pokeracist though, I swear!

yeah sure, pal.

troublebrewing on
    edited October 2011
    blablabla blabla bla blabla Pokemon Diablo blablabla blabla bla blablabla

... I hadn't heard this before. The above is all my brain saw in your comment. I'm buying the HELL out of this now.

Wraithverge on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    Niiiiiice! Straightforward and very clean looking.

Its good that the previous character limit is back too I've noticed.

Thanks! I was thinking I should add in more pictures and stuff, but thought against it in the end. Hopefully Nintendo will keep the 3DS goodness coming so the OP can update quite often. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    blablabla blabla bla blabla Pokemon Diablo blablabla blabla bla blablabla

... I hadn't heard this before. The above is all my brain saw in your comment. I'm buying the HELL out of this now.

Here's one of the previews.
    Pokémon Rumble debuted on the WiiWare Store in 2009 to reasonable success and popularity. The premise is simple: collect and battle the various mons in real-time while exploring linear dungeons and fighting bosses. The isometric brawler even has a Battle Royale mode for taking on waves of enemies at a time. Pokémon meets Diablo? A little bit, but with definitely fewer RPG elements. The sequel, Pokémon Rumble Blast, is a full-fledged retail release that promises even more content. Check it out.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised at the lack of people talking about Pokemon Rumble Blast. It's coming out on Monday, it's Pokemon, and it looks to be a dungeon crawler. With Streetpass. And Spotpass. Seems like a great game - what's the deal?

I still have to play that for my review... blargh. Been preoccupied with Kirby. Marathon time!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The original Pokemon Rumble was fun, but far too simplistic to qualify as a Diablo clone. You were essentially going through short, linear dungeons (few were longer than a couple of minutes), defeated pokemon had a chance to 'drop', each one had 3 or 4 preset moves and the randomness just influenced their base stats and change of shiny. Defeat all levels in tiers, move to next tier where everything is more difficult and repeat.
    It was definitely fun in coop and the challenges could get damn hard, but you saw all the game had to offer within a few hours. It was no Mystery Dungeon.

How come Mario Kart 7 has to release on the same day I'm getting married? Honeymoon jokes in 3, 2, 1....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does your fiance play games?

Steam: offday
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote:
    How come Mario Kart 7 has to release on the same day I'm getting married? Honeymoon jokes in 3, 2, 1....

Do a registry somewhere that carries games and register for it!

I now have 4 games for my 3ds, Zelda, Star Fox, Asphalt Urban and Lego Star Wars and I've logged the most time into Lego. It's just so fun and the 3D looks really, really, nice. I think I'll have to pick up the Pirates game at some point.

Asphalt frustrates me - I HATE racing games that only give you 2 or 3 tracks without having to unlock everything else. At least give me half the tracks to start...frame rate is kind of iffy too...but it was cheap. I've got all but three unlocked now but of course Vegas is the track I really want to play and it's still locked.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Lego star wars is pretty good, huh? I've always liked the lego games, but never played any of the portable versions, because I just assumed they'd suck.

Does it have a lot of unlockables and let you buy new characters and all that?

I really like it - I hadn't played a ton of the console versions so maybe I haven't gotten burned out on the concept like others may have. Graphically the depth the 3d adds is really nice and since I have tried one of the DS versions previously the jump in graphic quality is really noticeable to me. The only real complaint I have is that I'd rather buy a classic trilogy based game.

• GrimmDaemonGrimmDaemon Registered User regular
    I've noticed that there was no mention of Monster Hunter in the OP, is that due to preference or was it simply just forgotten?

3DS: 1032-1256-1103
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Probably not coming out in the english speaking world for quite some time.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    European release of Fall 2012, right?

steam_sig.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    The original Pokemon Rumble was fun, but far too simplistic to qualify as a Diablo clone. You were essentially going through short, linear dungeons (few were longer than a couple of minutes), defeated pokemon had a chance to 'drop', each one had 3 or 4 preset moves and the randomness just influenced their base stats and change of shiny. Defeat all levels in tiers, move to next tier where everything is more difficult and repeat.
    It was definitely fun in coop and the challenges could get damn hard, but you saw all the game had to offer within a few hours. It was no Mystery Dungeon.

This pretty much sums up what I've played so far, except the three or four preset moves; so far, everyone I've used has only one, though you can buy more in town... but those aren't cheap.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The Wiiware game only had two move slots per Pokemon period. I don't remember if in the early game the pokemon only came with one attack or not, but they always came with two in the later half. In the hub world you could pay money and randomly pick another attack that pokemon could learn to replace the ones it came with.

I hear the main difference between the new game and the Wiiware game is that there's an actual story and sense of progression outside of "collect pokemon until you find one that's at level X then complete a battle royale. Rinse and repeat."

I've noticed that there was no mention of Monster Hunter in the OP, is that due to preference or was it simply just forgotten?

Forgotten. Whoops! Added to the OP!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited October 2011
    anoffday wrote:
    Lego star wars is pretty good, huh? I've always liked the lego games, but never played any of the portable versions, because I just assumed they'd suck.

Does it have a lot of unlockables and let you buy new characters and all that?

Yeah, tons of characters from all throughout the series as usual. Even characters like
    Moff Tarkin and the Secret Apprentice!

UncleSporky on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So I took my 3ds on a trip and the top screen stopped lighting up. Or at least, it was really, really dark (I could still see stuff it looked like the backlight wasn't on). When I put pressure on the screen it would light up as normal, though it would revert back after I closed the lid and re-opened. It *seems* to be working ok now, but I'm kind of worried it's only temporary. I'm guessing there is a loose connection in there somewhere. Wonder if warranty would cover this...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    So I took my 3ds on a trip and the top screen stopped lighting up. Or at least, it was really, really dark (I could still see stuff it looked like the backlight wasn't on). When I put pressure on the screen it would light up as normal, though it would revert back after I closed the lid and re-opened. It *seems* to be working ok now, but I'm kind of worried it's only temporary. I'm guessing there is a loose connection in there somewhere. Wonder if warranty would cover this...

Of course it will. Just call them up and be sure to deflect any implication that you have dropped it or otherwise damaged it and you'll be fine.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I am intrigued by this Pokemon Rumble Blast.

I also hope that one day Nintendo realizes they should make a DOTA/MOBA with Pokemon...

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Me too. The idea of collecting toy Pokemon sounds awesome. I'm considering picking it up on the way home. It came out today, right? Are there any reviews out? Has anyone bought it yet?

• LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Unfortunately it's a relatively low-profile release for Nintendo (Monday instead of Sunday) so that means GameStop will do their "That's the shipping date! Come back Wednesday!" dance unless you get really lucky. No idea if Best Buy or Wal-Mart will have it today. I'd suggest calling your usual stores in the afternoon because that's when it'll most likely be stocked, assuming it does get stocked today.

I liked the WiiWare game, so I'm gonna get it. Though be warned that yeah, it does get repetitive if it's anything like the WiiWare game.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I plan on grabbing it at some point. I have a trip coming up in November and I'll be grabbing the newest Layton, Rumble Blast, and Mass Attack for the trip.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Just noticed some cosmetic scratches on the top and bottom of my 3DS today. Guess I'm gonna go with a clear plastic shell on my next one.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    Gamestop got their copies today of Pokemon Rumble Blast. So far I'm really enjoying it! I came here to see if anyone else is having issues with multiplayer though - I'm in the same room as the other player and we can't play for more than 2 minutes before it disconnects. I hope there are solar flares messing with things because a broken multiplayer with no way to patch would make Wraithverge something something...

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    How's the Tetris game on 3DS? Worth getting? I could always enjoy a Tetris game, but $35?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Gamestop got their copies today of Pokemon Rumble Blast. So far I'm really enjoying it! I came here to see if anyone else is having issues with multiplayer though - I'm in the same room as the other player and we can't play for more than 2 minutes before it disconnects. I hope there are solar flares messing with things because a broken multiplayer with no way to patch would make Wraithverge something something...

You got lucky, my GameStop thinks the street date is tomorrow, so they're holding it hostage until midnight (They're having a Midnight launch for Battlefield 3). Guess I'll just drop in tomorrow.
    ArcSyn wrote:
    How's the Tetris game on 3DS? Worth getting? I could always enjoy a Tetris game, but $35?

Do you own Tetris DS? If you already do... maybe get it if you really want more Tetris that badly. If you don't? Go buy that instead, it'll be cheaper and IMO it has better game modes (Push Mode is to die for, and it's playable on Wi-Fi).

EDIT: It might not be much cheaper. Places are still selling it new for $30, GameStop'll rip you off and give it to you for $30 USED. I'd do some homework on the two and see which one you want more, because they have different game modes and whatnot (DS was developed by Nintendo, Tetris Axis is developed by Hudson).

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
    Tetris DS was a very limited release and I remember people looking for it ravenously like a year later and ever since then. Because it's the best Tetris game ever made.

Tetris DS was good - but I really hate the infinite spin you can pull off in current Tetris games, it takes all the fun out of the game for me. I would prefer if they released the original Gameboy Tetris on the virtual console.

Yeah I went into Gamestop and they wouldn't sell me my kid's preorder of Rumble Blast. I went to Target and they weren't selling it until tomorrow either.

Every site I read on the internet had today as the release date. A little annoying, but oh well.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Tetris DS was good - but I really hate the infinite spin you can pull off in current Tetris games, it takes all the fun out of the game for me. I would prefer if they released the original Gameboy Tetris on the virtual console.

Does anyone want my copy?
    FUCK YOU YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    I too would like a mini-review of Pokémon Rumble Blast. It looks like it could be some good mindless fun on the 3DS, and I really want to play more games on the 3DS.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Any word on a hardware refresh yet?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.