As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google Chrome vs Firefox

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    http://www.geek.com/articles/news/firefox-easily-outperforms-chrome-with-many-tabs-open-2011083/

Food for thought if you like to have tons of tabs open. Though I wonder if the way threads are handled by Chrome vs Firefox explains behavior that eventually led me to prefer Chrome. I noticed that when a Firefox instance with lots of tabs got cratered by Flash (fucking Flash!) I'd lose the whole instance and all the tabs, whereas with Chrome, if Flash wanted to shit the bed, each tab would get frowny faces, but I wouldn't lose the Chrome application window, and could reload each tab.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    There are still some Google Chrome issues I've yet to solve; if I could take care of these, I would happily make Chrome my default browser.

1. I found a search extension (called Searchbox) that basically acts like Firefox's search bar. It allows me to manually add sites to use as search extensions too.

Problem is, I can't get Google Images to work as a search; I keep trying to paste the address as listed, but it just opens up the main front page of Google Images instead of showing the results.

2. YouTube not only lets me stay signed in with my account, every time I sign up it signs up using an alternate user account that I created long ago. Even when I set Last Pass to auto log me in, it keeps using that alternate user account. How do I make it so it logs me in with the account I want?

3. I don't like the bottom clutter that results from downloading things; can I disable it so it just closes all completed downloads?

• Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Aurora is pretty nice, so far. A hell of a lot smoother than Firefox 7.

edited October 2011
    Just gave Aurora a shot based on that recommendation. So far the speed in loading up websites seems equal to Chrome.

That aside, what can you do with it that you couldn't do with Firefox?

The only issue is currently some add-ons aren't compatible. My ideal browser has the speed of Chrome as well as some of its handier features (like the instant browser when typing in the address bar).

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I think it's interesting that you want the other search bar. Not judging your personal preference, but in your google images example, all I do is type i then tab and start searching, which seems pretty simple and easy.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Just gave Aurora a shot based on that recommendation. So far the speed in loading up websites seems equal to Chrome.

The only issue is currently some add-ons aren't compatible. My ideal browser has the speed of Chrome as well as some of its handier features (like the instant browser when typing in the address bar).
    HOW ABOUT OPERA?!

ChaosHat wrote:
    I think it's interesting that you want the other search bar. Not judging your personal preference, but in your google images example, all I do is type i then tab and start searching, which seems pretty simple and easy.

I'm just not used to it; I have a far easier time just picking what search engine I want from the list, and typing what I want there. It's especially handy when I want to search for the same topic in multiple addresses.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

HOW ABOUT OPERA?!

shoo
    no solicitors
    shoo
    <3<3

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2011

HOW ABOUT OPERA?!

shoo
    no solicitors
    shoo
    <3<3
    3 times in this thread I have suggested Opera, and each time it has been a complete, perfectly working solution for precisely what is being asked. I'm not sure how much more I can take...

edit: I mean come on how simple is this guys, look, search dropdown, RIGHT HERE, NO EXTENSIONS

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular

HOW ABOUT OPERA?!

shoo
    no solicitors
    shoo
    <3<3
    3 times in this thread I have suggested Opera, and each time it has been a complete, perfectly working solution for precisely what is being asked. I'm not sure how much more I can take...

edit: I mean come on how simple is this guys, look, search dropdown, RIGHT HERE, NO EXTENSIONS

I've started using Opera today on your recommendation. So far, seems to be working really well. It's exactly what I want from a browser, speedy and light.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

HOW ABOUT OPERA?!

shoo
    no solicitors
    shoo
    <3<3

Oh, Opera is fine, I was just making fun of the way your post looked.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, your reply was fine. I was just making fun of Professor Can'tread Snugglesworth and his magic powers of avoiding good advice.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • jantanikjantanik Registered User new member
    edited October 2011
    I use Firefox.It has more features,good add-ons, and plug-ins.I don't like chrome because of how pages are loaded, some don't work, and it very often just shows a blank screen for me.

jantanik on
    Yeah, your reply was fine. I was just making fun of Professor Can'tread Snugglesworth and his magic powers of avoiding good advice.

Dude, I've tried two different browsers in the past week, I'm not some sort of Browser Swinger here. I don't have the energy for that.

Right now I'm looking to see how many Chrome tricks I can apply to Firefox. I remember finding a list somewhere, but what I'd really like is the instant browser feature (where it loads up a site as you type).

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'd like Firefox more if the auto-updating worked worth a damn on a non-Admin account. Instead it just downloads the updates, and can't install them. You have to manually run Firefox as an admin, then then the next time you run it under your normal account the cached download is still sitting there pretending it needs to be applied (and of course nothing happens when you click apply - it isn't even deleted).

This to me is the most crippling bug with Firefox if they're going to keep pushing updates out as they have.

Edit: Damn, this issue is in Bugzilla like five times and no one is working on it. It would be pretty tempting if I had more free time. So fucking annoying.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Heh. I remember in my freshman year computer programming class reading a newspaper that had an article titled "Firefox Outfoxing Internet Explorer." Regretfully, it still feels the same way as it did then. I know there are countless evolutionary changes, but whenever I boot it up on the school or work computers, I cannot get flash backs to 2006.

I now use Chrome since it has what I need. Quick and friendly tab tearing and shuffling as well as a very minimal design. Tab bar. Address bar. Bookmark Icon bar. Perfect.

Just curious but did they ever fix those memory leaks for Firefox.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Heh. I remember in my freshman year computer programming class reading a newspaper that had an article titled "Firefox Outfoxing Internet Explorer." Regretfully, it still feels the same way as it did then. I know there are countless evolutionary changes, but whenever I boot it up on the school or work computers, I cannot get flash backs to 2006.

I now use Chrome since it has what I need. Quick and friendly tab tearing and shuffling as well as a very minimal design. Tab bar. Address bar. Bookmark Icon bar. Perfect.

Just curious but did they ever fix those memory leaks for Firefox.

Last time I used it, it seemed to use about half as much RAM as it used to, from around 300MB to 150MB, but I'm not sure if the memory leak has been fixed.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I use Chrome at work on my Windows XP-based computer but at home on my iMac I use Safari.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I just read the TomsHardware grand prix.

I don't understand how Chrome could beat Firefox across the majority of tests, yet they crown Firefox the champion.

/confused

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Feral wrote:
    I just read the TomsHardware grand prix.

I don't understand how Chrome could beat Firefox across the majority of tests, yet they crown Firefox the champion.

/confused

If I had to fashion a guess... there are many sites that refuse to let Chrome run them without spoofing the browser ID, while Firefox is accepted by everyone everywhere all the time nowadays.

Chrome can be better all it wants, but if quickbooks online, a bunch of banks, and a many other sites don't work on it (developer laziness on the part of the site developers for sure but that doesn't fix the problem), then it can't be the best browser.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Closest thing to an appropriate thread I could find.

In firefox, finding a way to disable the highlighting in the address bar of the base part of the URL was pretty easy, it was just in about:config, like most things too scary to be in an actual fucking menu. In Chrome, I've been searching for a while now and can't find a way to do this. Is this something that'll require an extension, ridiculous as that may seem? Address bar highlighting really pisses me off for some reason, and I'd really like to get rid of it.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    1803311-morlock1_super.jpg I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK! I am a Morlock MORLOCK MORLOCK!

MORRRRLOOOCCKKKK!!!

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    This probably doesn't hold any relevance to the thread, but I installed mini Opera on my iPhone. Damn is it fast.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    There is one thing I cannot do in Chrome that I can do in Firefox and even IE. I cannot right-click on a broken image and tell it to reload. I can open it in a new tab, but that's really not the same.

How do I fix this? (besides switching to Opera)

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote:
    There is one thing I cannot do in Chrome that I can do in Firefox and even IE. I cannot right-click on a broken image and tell it to reload. I can open it in a new tab, but that's really not the same.

How do I fix this? (besides switching to Opera)
    So... I know you said "besides switching to Opera..."

but Opera can do this :/

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I quietly switched over to Chrome a few weeks ago. It's not bad. I like the extensions.

I'd use Opera if it wasn't for the weird Google issues I encountered weeks back, and the lack of 1Password support, that's going to be coming eventually, maybe. My big complaint against Chrome is that it's a something of a memory hog, which is the reason I went from Firefox to IE9 several months ago.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just wish I could install something, anything else on my PS3 to browse with...

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The last time I used the PS3 browser was...about two years ago. Maybe more.

Is it still awful? And is it still Opera?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    So... I know you said "besides switching to Opera..."

but Opera can do this :/

Everything can do this. Except Chrome.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I am willing to switch browsers from horrible, horrible firefox to anything else today if I can have the equivalent of noscript, and the two adblock plus things I have. I also have stylish specifically for these forums but I would sacrifice it if it meant no more firefox. It doesn't crash as often on my desktop as it does on my thinkpad, but when it does it brings my system to its knees and I rage.

edit: also I used opera years and years ago when I was a kid and it was a great browser then

Shogun on
    I treat opera like your super hot cousin. Sure she's super hot, but she's still your cousin dude, gross.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote:
    I am willing to switch browsers from horrible, horrible firefox to anything else today if I can have the equivalent of noscript, and the two adblock plus things I have. I also have stylish specifically for these forums but I would sacrifice it if it meant no more firefox. It doesn't crash as often on my desktop as it does on my thinkpad, but when it does it brings my system to its knees and I rage.

edit: also I used opera years and years ago when I was a kid and it was a great browser then

Chrome has NotScripts, which is noscript-like functionality, and there's Stylish for Chrome, which I use to make these forums beautifuller. Can't help you on adblock, though.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    bowen wrote:
    I treat opera like your super hot cousin. Sure she's super hot, but she's still your cousin dude, gross.

That's not a bad analogy because in many parts of the world marrying cousins is perfectly normal and it's pretty much only unthinking prejudice that stops people. Similarly, Opera is super popular in some other countries but for some reason it's cool to not like it in other places. Prejudice with no basis in reason!

Ew gross!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Adblock exists on Chrome and it works better than FF's in my opinion.

• alpensopathalpensopath Registered User new member
    Based on these random characteristics that have been made an issue to choose upon one of these browsers, there is still no perfect answer to say which a better deal is. Many users these days seem to switch from one web browser to another as to fulfill the need of some selected issues. Even after trying out a new web browser, they would still go back to the classic ones that have been used all this while.
    Google Chrome
    PERFORMANCE – Faster
    MEMORY – Higher Consumption
    SYNCHRONIZATION – Can synchronize most functions into Firefox
    ADD-ONS – Doesn’t Have
    AVAILABILITY – Open Source
    Mozilla Firefox
    PERFORMANCE – Slower
    MEMORY – Lower Consumption
    SYNCHRONIZATION – Not all functions are compatible to be synchronized
    ADD-ONS – Wide amount to choose
    AVAILABILITY – Open Source
    View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/which-one-these-best

There are plenty of add-ons in chrome, and the memory is lower than firefox on my machine. A few webpages in firefox and I'm at half a gig of memory. In chrome, I'll be maybe be at a 1/4. The only addon I run is adblock.

That said, I still prefer firefox.

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:

That's not a bad analogy because in many parts of the world marrying cousins is perfectly normal and it's pretty much only unthinking prejudice that stops people. Similarly, Opera is super popular in some other countries but for some reason it's cool to not like it in other places. Prejudice with no basis in reason!

I just switched over to Opera from Chrome, I shall try it for a few days and give it the chance.

The one thing I really missed in chrome was the option to use different search engines and Chrome handles that straight out of the box.