As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Build Thread: Embracing Web 2.0 (Sorta)

19495969798100»

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Hokay.

Advice please...

I am currently having issues with my PC and it's crashing pretty frequently. I am almost positive that it is the video card, and that's being RMA'd to EVGA already.

I think it could possibly be the CPU too, but even if its not, my current CPU just isn't up to snuff for current anything PC wise, unless it's unreal engine.

Anyway, I'm planning on replacing my CPU, but here's my situation. With my old mobo (intel 775), the best I can upgrade to is a Q9550 (the 9650 is faster but its also a lot harder to find and more expensive than its worth for the minor performance increase). It's $300-$320ish.

Here's the thing though. I can get a P8P67 pro, an i5 2400 and 8gb of DDR3 ram for $422.00 (-$20 with mail in rebates so actually about $400 even). So for $80-100 more I can get something that is considerably more powerful than either my current CPU or what I could upgrade to with my current MOBO.

In my mind, this makes a lot of sense, but is there anything I'm missing here? As far as I can tell, this is all I'd need to replace as things like my GPU, wireless card, HDD etc would still work a-ok, and my PSU (antec earthwatts 650w) is more than enough to handle it. Plus it gives me the ability to upgrade to an i7 down the road if I like, and the extra slot to go with SLI instead of dropping cash for a whole new GPU. 2x460 GTX's would be mighty fine.

These things are all sitting in my shopping cart on newegg, and I'm just hesitating in pulling the trigger because I feel like there's something I'm forgetting here.

Also, only semi-related, I noticed in a note on the EVGA site you have to register your card within 30 days of purchase to be eligable for the warranty. So..uh, I bought it a year ago and I just registered it. Are they going to give me shit for it when I RMA? I bought the lifetime warranty card because I didn't want to worry about this shit, and now I'm worried I dicked myself over because I totally forgot to register back when I bought it. I'm assuming they do that for the limited 1-3 year warranties, but since it's lifetime, that wouldn't matter right? Anyone deal with EVGA support? Are they cool homps or are they going to charge me for fixing my card? I was thinking if I upgraded to this new mobo/cpu I might drop the $200ish for another 460 by christmas, but if I have to pay out of pocket to fix my current card I'm not sure I'd be able to swing that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yeah don't throw more money into your 775 motherboard. If you're going to get an i5, you want a 2500k, otherwise an i3 is more than enough power for gaming. Moreover if you get a 2500k you'll want an aftermarket cooler.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hmm..the i3 isn't even as powerful as the Q9550. If I was going the route of replacing the mobo/cpu then I would want something that wasn't half-assing it.

Also I don't really overclock so I don't have a need for the K, and the 2400, performance wise is barely blow the normal 2500, and it's $30 cheaper.

EDIT: I'm just going by the mark scores HERE. I don't know if these numbers are even meaningful. But it's what I'm using to compare the CPU's. Real world performance could be significantly different. But as far as I can tell, I think the i3 would just not be enough for what I want.

EDIT EDIT: I should think about money though. If it is on par with what I could get for the Q9550, and have all the upgradability in the world with that mobo, for $60 less than the 2400, that would put me at about the same price as the Q9550 itself, and give me the same-ish performance. Hmmm...responsibility or power? Looking at real reviews too, the 2100 is still 2x or more powerful than my current core2duo. So I imagine I'd still be happy with it. The 2100 is only dual core though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    New thread is here! I'll be moving over the various odds and OP ends soon, but enjoy the new beginnings!

Alecthar on
This discussion has been closed.