As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lets talk Horror Movies!

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So lately i've caught the Horror bug and have been pouring through both old and new horror movies alike. This all started whenever I watched The Shining for the first time last month, and since then i've been looking for something similar to that all over the genre spectrum.

So D&D, what horror movies interest you? Are you more of a traditional horror enthusiast or more akin to the new class stuff?

Sorry about the bare-bones OP, i'll make sure to come up with a much better one later today.

Godfather on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Every Halloween I watch Keanu Reeves be a zombie and Anthony Hopkins be a crazy motherfucker in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I just had the urge to check out some newer horror films. Watched Grave Encounters last night which was quite disappointing. Today I'll either check out The Reef or YellowBrickRoad.

Horror movies are the best. Even when they suck they're pretty good.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    YellowBrickRoad isn't for everyone.

If sound frightens you, it will be terrifying. Otherwise, I would avoid it.

Also, after a character gives a speech on a radio near the end, just shut the film off. That should ahve been the true ending, but they ruin it with what comes afterwards.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    My favorites:

The Thing -- scifi horror
    Candyman -- urban legends/psychological(?)
    Lake Mungo -- mockumentary horror
    The Sixth Sense -- ghosts among us

Has anyone seen Panic Button? I saw a review of it on AICN and the premise sounded really cool.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2011
    Oh man, Candyman was fucking horrifying when I was a kid.

You know what else? This cheesy-as-fuck movie called Dolls. It's an atmospheric psychological thriller exploring the depths of human fear and what such fear might drive one to do in- Ha, no I'm just kidding. It's about evil dolls that kill people because that's what evil dolls do. Most of it is pretty by-the-book, but there's a scene near the end where:
    This girl who vanished earlier is found in the attic, and her eyeballs have been torn out and replaced with doll eyes.

I saw it when I was a wee-ish lad, and that image just scared the almighty fuck out of me. I caught the movie on TV awhile back and when it got to that part I actually left the room on account of I am a big weenie.

Anyway, fun movie, suitably creepy if you are the sort who finds dolls creepy anyway (read: a normal person).

edit: Ooh, you know what's fun? Watch that movie with someone and then wait for them to go to the bathroom and position a few dolls right outside the bathroom door with steak knives taped into their hands. Then get sent straight to bed because you did it to your mom and she has a poor sense of humor.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited October 2011
    I have the DOLLS box art memorized for some reason, even though I have never seen the movie.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I've been trying to see many of these on Netflix. I have learned anything with a 4 star or higher rating is someone's terrible budget film.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the first Scream. To me it just did a lot of things right.

• BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Was anyone else really freaked out by the slime monster episode of Ghostwriters? I saw it when I was young and it is the only thing I have ever had nightmares about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63MciaNqhc

• TachTach Registered User regular
    The Thing prequel was not as good as Carpenter's. CGI is NO replacement for practical effects for creepiness.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    fun fact, the prequel /did/ have a lot of practical effects that were judged not satisfactory by someone involved.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I've seen Quarantine twice and still, watching [REC] was a terrifying experience. It's rare when a movie can create that kind of intensity.

JKKaAGp.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The middle third of the film Sunshine is a pretty great horror film.

PSN: Honkalot
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    When a monster/serial killer stalks idiots or squealing teenagers, the movie falls apart and fails to horrify.

When a monster/serial killer stalks sensible people, the horror movie is great. See: The Thing. The original Halloween.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Poltergeist is a great classic horror film. The Ring is probably my favorite newer one.

Paranormal Activity is worth one viewing, although I was mightily disappointed after all the hype.

Nova_C wrote:
    Poltergeist is a great classic horror film. The Ring is probably my favorite newer one.

Paranormal Activity is worth one viewing, although I was mightily disappointed after all the hype.

Yo tambien.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the first date I ever went on was to see a movie. the movie was the Exorcist.

i'm still not sure why either of us thought that was a good idea. but it was a really good movie. one of my favourite horror films.

apparently [REC] is the scariest film ever made, according to everyone who's watched it that I've spoken with. it's hyped to the point where I honestly don't want to watch it. i don't want to be that scared.

Honk wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

Yo tambien.

I...I don't know what this means.

Me too! ^__^

Oh.

I should probably give [REC] a try. Only one movie has ever scared me to the point that it actually changed me forever. And it's not even a scary movie, really, but I saw Arachnophobia when I was 11 and I've been arachnophobic ever since. Fucking spiders.

REC is good and ends up being different (mainly with the sequel) than Quarantine.

The plot gets pretty weird, actually.
    Viral demonic posession zombies!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to watch The Fly sometime this week, never seen all of it. I have seen most of the latter half of the sequel, but I understand that's not considered nearly as good.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Good to see interest in this topic.

I've seen many of the movies listed, and since I've been on my horror kick quite recently too!

However, out of all the horror movies I've seen, the one that was the most terrifying and uncomfortable to watch has to go to The Strangers. That one stayed with me for days, and I had more than a few uncomfortable nights of sleep over it.

I'm kind of glad I picked this time to start my horror kick; there's nothing really being hyped or thrown in my face via advertising, so I'm able to judge without sway. One movie that really surprised me at how good it was is Paranormal Activity; everything about the flick just worked for me.

Godfather on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:

That's true, but you can get 90 full minutes of the exact same thing by watching Event Horizon.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Oh.

I should probably give [REC] a try. Only one movie has ever scared me to the point that it actually changed me forever. And it's not even a scary movie, really, but I saw Arachnophobia when I was 11 and I've been arachnophobic ever since. Fucking spiders.

The only thing I remember from that movie (I saw it when I was around 10) is the group hernia exam of the football team. It was just a bizarre scene. But I never played football in high school so maybe that's just something that's done. :rotate:

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Slither. It's gorey. It's scary. It's funny. Nathan Fillion is heavily involved. Do you really need to know anything else?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Event Horizon is amazing. AMAZING.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Alien and The Thing are my favorites.

Not a huge fan of horror, but I love me some sci-fi psychological thrills.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Was anyone else really freaked out by the slime monster episode of Ghostwriters? I saw it when I was young and it is the only thing I have ever had nightmares about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63MciaNqhc

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Oh hey, childhood terrors. Haven't seen you in a while. D:

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    REC is good and ends up being different (mainly with the sequel) than Quarantine.

The plot gets pretty weird, actually.
    Viral demonic posession zombies!

I actually loved that. Lead to a real feeling of what the hell is going on and why are things getting worse oh noooooooo

Never seen the sequel, though. Might fix that this week.

Green wrote:
    FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Oh hey, childhood terrors. Haven't seen you in a while. D:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4zgfVj-K4&feature=related

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    BEEP BEEP GEORGIE

Richie*

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    They all float down here, Georgie. AND YOU'LL FLOAT, TOO.

I still don't see how they can make an IT movie.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    For starters, excise all the kid-sex stuff. That's step one. And then it's just a matter of figuring out how to correctly translate a metaphysical journey through time and space in which planetary turtle-corpse that vomited the universe warns you against going into the deadlights.

Simple shit.

edited October 2011
    Well, they skipped that in the miniseries, so

I mean, how do you make a single 2 & 1/2 hour film of IT.

There's just too much plot.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Depends. You can do it with all the adult parts cut, and of course the sex part cut. Get rid of some of the tertiary people like the sociopathic kid. Basically make it about the losers vs it with the bowers as secondary antagonists. You'd still be cutting huge chunks out, but it might be doable.

SammyF wrote:
    Honk wrote:

That's true, but you can get 90 full minutes of the exact same thing by watching Event Horizon.

Yeah true, that film is great! Loves it!

Though really, if someone was to provide me 90 minutes of the middle third of Sunshine - that would be even better.