As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    K that's it. I got to get in on this Pokemon thing. Tomorrow I'll boot that DS and play for the realz.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    (just ignore this post, it was an accident)

RainbowTunnel on
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Got so excited from reading everything I ran out yesterday and got Pokemon Black. Been playing nonstop

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    K that's it. I got to get in on this Pokemon thing. Tomorrow I'll boot that DS and play for the realz.
    xenard wrote:
    Got so excited from reading everything I ran out yesterday and got Pokemon Black. Been playing nonstop

These are... excellent decisions. :D

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • nyankokiminyankokimi Maryland, USARegistered User new member
    Yo yo! First official post on the PA fora!
    As the head of the art team for PAX PPL, wanting to tease a few images of some of the trainers you can expect to run into at PAX East 2012! :D
    PPLE2012GL%200S.pngPPLE2012GL%203S.pngPPLE2012GL%205S.png

The PPL Art team has not even released these images to us! I am... SO EXCITED to see them!

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Ahhh, very very tempting to volunteer as a gym leader, but I've got cosplay planned for all 3 days already with my friends, so I couldn't really rock the gym leader thing. I'll be sure to challenge a leader, though!

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    edited October 2011
    Onmitsu wrote:
    Ahhh, very very tempting to volunteer as a gym leader, but I've got cosplay planned for all 3 days already with my friends, so I couldn't really rock the gym leader thing. I'll be sure to challenge a leader, though!

We've actually already got gym leaders lined up for this year, so what we need is challengers! Everything works out perfectly! I look forward to your challenge! :D

Propriety on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Here's a sneak preview of some of the cool things we'll be giving out to lucky challengers!

sam0801x.jpg

WANT.

Why do I have this vague hope that they're filled with batteries?

My friend wanted to fill them with gunpowder, but I don't think that will fly...

(Both metaphorically AND literally!)

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    By the way, because I was Propriety's roommate (the one with the cookies), and I hung out with you all after the end of PAX last year, I blame you all for making me have to play the Pokemans. :P

Funny story, the other two guys at my work play Pokemon. I'm the oldest at 26, the youngest is 22.

So most likely yes, I will try my hand at the League as a trainer (albeit not very good, as this is my first Pokemon game, and I've had it since last March).

Haha, sorry man, you hang out with me, you're going to catch the Pokerus! It's inevitable! I'm glad you'll be back for another challenge, and I'm sure you'll be able to earn some badges.

Everyone plays pokemon! Pokemon knows no age limits!

Also: Heleor is crazy. I told him he was crazy. "It's too egg-stravigant," I told him! "You'll never be able to egg-secute your plans in time!" But it seems he's persisting dog-egg-ly, despite my warnings.

(Wish I were there to help, I've already sketched out how Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur would look.)

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Still waiting for some Pokepics...herpderp.

I also need to get a cute new messenger bag or something, I bought a set of the original badges from that one booth upstairs and I've yet to actually wear any of them 'cuz my current purse is made of like...hemp or something, I don't know. And I don't really have much room on my DS bag 'cuz I covered the strap in all my PPL badges! :D

Propriety wrote:
    Also: Heleor is crazy. I told him he was crazy. "It's too egg-stravigant," I told him! "You'll never be able to egg-secute your plans in time!" But it seems he's persisting dog-egg-ly, despite my warnings.

It's too OVUM the top? Need more time to POACH ideas from the internet?

Oh, I think it's really over-easy. It's not as if we're scrambling at the last minute. Those were just an egg-sample, but we have a bunch more ready to work on.

Well, keep your sunny side up, Heleor, and you'll be able to make even the most hard boiled competitors runny-ng for the prizes.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Got my scizor up to level 50. Going to reinstate my old Sapphire team into play by reraising and proteining all the things.

Also working on leveling up a dratini. He's level 27 at the moment (all from exp share)

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
    Currently, I have no idea what my Pokemanzes are up to, because my DS is in my room. All I know is that I'm trying to keep moving through Icarus City(where Dragonspiral Tower is?) and I'm stuck. Well, that and also two of my pokemon are already in need of a tone down for the League. The rest need to level up more.

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I was a huge fan of Pokemon back when it first came out, I had the hat, red and blue games with all pokemon including the hidden one, and I use to record all the TV shows so I could watch them over and over again.... This was back when I was still in middle school/high school... since then I lost touch with pokemon... but reading this thread I think I'm going to pick up a black or white game and see if I can't have some pokemon to play with by the time pax arrives... I want to challange at least one gym leader before pax is over! lol sounds like great fun!

• Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Korvas wrote:
    I was a huge fan of Pokemon back when it first came out, I had the hat, red and blue games with all pokemon including the hidden one, and I use to record all the TV shows so I could watch them over and over again.... This was back when I was still in middle school/high school... since then I lost touch with pokemon... but reading this thread I think I'm going to pick up a black or white game and see if I can't have some pokemon to play with by the time pax arrives... I want to challange at least one gym leader before pax is over! lol sounds like great fun!
    Oh its a lot of fun. I'm saying this from a Gym Leaders prospective, but I was told by a lot of challengers how much fun they had with it. I'm hoping we get more then twice the number of people involved this year

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    yeah, just picked up pokemon white, and borrowed my nieces DS... lol so far I have 2 gym badges... So quick question on this... is there a level I should try to be? like are all the gym leaders lvl50+ or is it like in the game? the first gym leader is going to be pretty easy, and get harder as I go along?

All the leaders will be 50+, but the battles will be Flat Battle - which means if your Pokemon is lower than level 50, it will be leveled up automatically.

edited November 2011
    Heleor wrote:
    All the leaders will be 50+, but the battles will be Flat Battle - which means if your Pokemon is lower than level 50, it will be leveled up automatically.

EDIT: Nevermind! I have been corrected. In HGSS this was a problem, but apparently, in BW, your pokemon DO get leveled up! :D Sorry about that.

Also, @Korvas, we're planning on having gym leaders at varying levels of difficulty, with a suggested order if you want to scale up, like in the games. Experienced battlers can go straight for the tougher leaders, while more casual players can follow the "in game" path.

Propriety on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Propriety wrote:
    Heleor wrote:

Uh, no, this is not true. In flat battles, if your pokemon is under level 50, it will NOT be leveled up! Pokemon ABOVE level 50 will be leveled DOWN to 50.

So, make sure your pokemon are AT LEAST level 50 if you want to challenge the league. This was only an issue once last year, but I did play a kid whose freshly caught Pokes were level 30, and it was a mess. So please please please make sure your pokemon are at level 50 or above! All gym leaders will be doing flat battle, so you don't have to worry about getting them beyond that.

Also, @Korvas, we're planning on having gym leaders at varying levels of difficulty, with a suggested order if you want to scale up, like in the games. Experienced battlers can go straight for the tougher leaders, while more casual players can follow the "in game" path.

In an IR battle, it uses the 50-All Rule in which pokemon below level 50 will become level 50. I assume this is what Heleor means and how PPL Prime was done this year.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/C-Gear#Infrared

zerzhul wrote:
    Propriety wrote:
    Heleor wrote:

Uh, no, this is not true. In flat battles, if your pokemon is under level 50, it will NOT be leveled up! Pokemon ABOVE level 50 will be leveled DOWN to 50.

So, make sure your pokemon are AT LEAST level 50 if you want to challenge the league. This was only an issue once last year, but I did play a kid whose freshly caught Pokes were level 30, and it was a mess. So please please please make sure your pokemon are at level 50 or above! All gym leaders will be doing flat battle, so you don't have to worry about getting them beyond that.

In an IR battle, it uses the 50-All Rule in which pokemon below level 50 will become level 50. I assume this is what Heleor means and how PPL Prime was done this year.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/C-Gear#Infrared

I stand corrected! Sorry about that. I'm glad B&W fixed that.

Propriety wrote:

Tough leaders watch out - the heart of the Shuckle will return....!

Propriety wrote:

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE EVER

Except now I'm just imagining seeing "Canned heart of Shuckle" in a grocery store. Eew. D:

I am saddened by N's lack of success thus far. And so you must be...punished!
    pkmn__f_yeah_ferris_wheel_by_e1n-d3gm799.png

And honestly, anyone who uses that freaking Shuckle needs to be kicked out of the League for cruel and unusual punishment. Pokemon's fun and all, but there's really no need for a 10 minute *battle* against one Pokemon. And I hesitate to call it that. Freaking goo bug...I'd kick it but I'd probably stub my toe.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    Scunosi wrote:
    And honestly, anyone who uses that freaking Shuckle needs to be kicked out of the League for cruel and unusual punishment. Pokemon's fun and all, but there's really no need for a 10 minute *battle* against one Pokemon. And I hesitate to call it that. Freaking goo bug...I'd kick it but I'd probably stub my toe.

Hey now, rainbowtunnel's shuckle team is great fun!

... and you may want to mark that spoiler NSFL

zerzhul on
    Hey, I said punishment, didn't I? Mwahaha! >:D I apologize for any collateral damage, but you should use your terror to encourage N to finish his task!

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    I've got about 20 contenders in White. Now I need to pare that down to 6. I'm pretty sure about two of them... and I probably want to use that one...

I'm going to get more badges this year, mark my words.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:

I totally have something better than a badge to give you if you challenge me this year.
    It might be a Shuckle figure. Okay it is a Shuckle figure.

Propriety wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE EVER

Except now I'm just imagining seeing "Canned heart of Shuckle" in a grocery store. Eew. D:

Why canned when you can get it fresh! Warning: eating the heart of Shuckle will not give you their heart.
    cocowoushi wrote:
    Propriety wrote:

I totally have something better than a badge to give you if you challenge me this year.
    It might be a Shuckle figure. Okay it is a Shuckle figure.

I can't wait to battle you all again this year, too!! I'm admittedly still on story mode (after restarting it once and not having played in a long, long time), so we'll see if I can pull a team together in time. I have a new team lined up if I have time enough to create it..... the Inanimate Object team!!

I have two days off, so I will see if I can keep working on Story mode and get a finalized team to work on.

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:

Dat heart.

Regiment wrote:
    I've got about 20 contenders in White. Now I need to pare that down to 6. I'm pretty sure about two of them... and I probably want to use that one...

I'm going to get more badges this year, mark my words.

Decisions, decisions! It's so hard to pick a good team.

I can't wait to battle you all again this year, too!! I'm admittedly still on story mode (after restarting it once and not having played in a long, long time), so we'll see if I can pull a team together in time. I have a new team lined up if I have time enough to create it..... the Inanimate Object team!!

You've got plenty of time! PAX is still five months away. :D

Ooh, I like that team theme. Now I am curious! :O

• Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Hello all! GumbyX AKA Hamto here. As you all know, PAX badges went on sale last week (hope you guys orders yours already) and now is the perfect time to spread word of the PAX Pokemon League (PPL)! If you know any trainers who don't know of us, be sure to tell them about our event and send them to http://paxpokemonleague.com/ to learn more. With more gym leaders participating this year, we are hoping to have even more con-goers take part in the PPL. So pull our your PokeGear and C-Gear and help spread the word!! :-D

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    I was informed I need to be more active. I'm currently tweaking the specifics that go into a perfect team. That is all 8->

I need to find my DS and get back to work on it. I may try to split my guys into two teams and practice with both just to see who I work better with.