As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Because it is ALWAYS STARS - Super Mario Galaxy 2

167891012»

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, the only one of those I care much for is Bowser's Galaxy Generator. The others? Meh. SMG's music gave me a lot more ear boners.

forty on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    *This post reserved for when I come up with a more creative way of saying GET OUT*

:P

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Right, so! I'm playing through the first Galaxy and I am loving it. Is the second game as good and lengthy as the first one?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Most people will probably tell you it's better, but I disagree. I enjoyed the first a lot more than the second. But that isn't to speak ill of SMG2. It's still fantastic, I just didn't think it was as fantastic as the first one.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Inzigna wrote:
    When you get your Wii, PM me your Console's #. I'm gifting you Super Mario Bros. & Super Mario Bros. 3.

Make sure you pick up a Classic Controller when you get your Console.
    There must be something magical about Mario for you to come up with an offer like that. I'll hold you to it then, fine sir.

So didja pick up a Wii yet?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I never finished SMG1 and bought SMG2 but never started it. Since I feel bad for my Wii only being used for EA workouts I decided to pop in one of these two games. Should I finish up 1 to get the entire story before diving into 2 or can I just start 2 up to get to the N64 level? I so wanted to see the N64 level which is why I bought the second one before finishing the first.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    SMG2 is bettah, but I'd finish the first one.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Ok, thanks for the input. I'll go load up 1 and figure out where I am in it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Other than the nostalgia factor, I thought Throwback Galaxy (the N64 Whomp's Fotress remake) was one of the weakest levels. It just wasn't very fun or engaging on its own merits.

• Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote:
    I never finished SMG1 and bought SMG2 but never started it. Since I feel bad for my Wii only being used for EA workouts I decided to pop in one of these two games. Should I finish up 1 to get the entire story before diving into 2 or can I just start 2 up to get to the N64 level? I so wanted to see the N64 level which is why I bought the second one before finishing the first.
    Don't let the story hold you back.

Be aware, however, that the N64 level is late into the game. Which means you need to play most of SMG2 to get there. Which is a very, very good thing.

• Options
    Eeesh, that's not making me want to go play it now forty. But I will because curiosity has me on this game.

Thanks for the head's up Seol, I'll keep that mind when I'm playing.

Honestly I stopped playing the first one because the small rotating worlds gave me a headache. But I powered through to get to the later levels. The controls get me from time to time (miss jumping or running in the wrong direction) but I figure it is just me not getting the whole 3D movement.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Seol wrote:
    Betsuni wrote:
    Don't let the story hold you back.

Of course, as endings go, it's one of my favorites in the series, perhaps more than SMG2's.

I agree that one shouldn't let it hold them back from SMG2, though it arguably makes some sense out of it, but I don't believe it should be left unfinished, either... so long as one comes back to it, at least.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote:
    Eeesh, that's not making me want to go play it now forty. But I will because curiosity has me on this game.

Thanks for the head's up Seol, I'll keep that mind when I'm playing.

Honestly I stopped playing the first one because the small rotating worlds gave me a headache. But I powered through to get to the later levels. The controls get me from time to time (miss jumping or running in the wrong direction) but I figure it is just me not getting the whole 3D movement.
    Well, don't let it discourage you from playing, since SMG2 is awesome overall. I was more just pointing out that this particular level shouldn't be considered the great draw of SMG2, and you should try to finish SMG1 first.

As I recall, SMG2 didn't have as many of the small planetoids, so hopefully you shouldn't run into as much vertigo in it. Although the Bowser fights are on pretty small planets...

• Options
    Ok, thanks guys for bringing my hopes back to trying out SMG2. I'll definitely put it on my next to play list after 1 then.

Thanks also for letting me know that 2 had less small planetoids. My wife quit playing 1 after the first few levels because she couldn't stand it after a while. She was the Mario freak of the house and was the reason we bought it in the first place. I played it because of my dedication as a gamer to try and at least give it a few more hours of game time before I chuck a game into the, "yeah... just not my cup of tea" pile.

oosik_betsuni.png