As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In an absolutely stunning twist, there's going to be a GTAV

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Social Entropy++
http://www.rockstargames.com/

trailer on the 2nd of November, literally no other info outside of this

leeeeeeet's wildly speculate/talk about how much we just want more fucking Vice City goddammit

YaYa on

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    It'll be set in a Blade Runner-esque time period

Only now your cousin can page your brain directly and insist that you go future bowling together

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    thats not how you say san andreas

also i just got that ryder was eazy-e

holy shit

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I think it's either going to be set in San Andreas or a completely new location

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I liked four. And I still like it even though apparently the internet changed its mind

I want more of that with some fun vehicles. Oh and Vice City showing up would have to be modern day with some burn notice and CSI vibes. They covered the 80s to death.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    gonna be set in DC

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Four was good. I had some excellent times playing that, or simply messing about in the multiplayer - just using it as an awesome chatroom, mostly.

So yeah, getting five is a no-brainer.

Legba on
    Wren wrote:
    gonna be set in DC

Never gonna happen.

No retailer would sell the president killing simulator .

I would like it to star Jimmy Hopkins though. Bully don't get enough love.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    gonna be set in DC

Never gonna happen.

No retailer would sell the president killing simulator .

I would like it to star Jimmy Hopkins though. Bully don't get enough love.

you ARE the president, out to save his city from crime

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    the president could just be not in the white house

also, you could be obliterated any time you set foot within a 3 mile radius

because that is obviously how real life works

I'm just saying Fox news will use that term verbatim.

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    seriously try to get into the white house

I bet you don't even get a hand on the doorknob before you're killed by the state

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah with that V it's totally going to be DC.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Clearly the green 'V' is some sort of clue

To, uh, the Grove Street Family

Yes, that will do

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Gee Tav.

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the v is a pretty heavy hint to dc

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I first read it as GTVA and thought we'd be talking about FreeSpace 2 :(

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Everyone's nickname for this game will be Gee Tav OK?

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    You'd think any sandbox car theft and crime simulation game would be kind of superfluous after Saints Row the 3rd comes out.

Langly wrote:
    Yeah I think the v is a pretty heavy hint to dc

Doesn't necessarily have to do with the government and capital city.

What's more gangster than getting money?

Grove
    -ST-
    4-Life

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Why is the 'V' a clue to DC? I am wracking my tiny brain here and I can't think of how V connects to DC.

edited October 2011
    smof wrote:
    Why is the 'V' a clue to DC? I am wracking my tiny brain here and I can't think of how V connects to DC.

Looks like money.

With the way the ribbons come off it, the color and the lines.

I don't see the connection to DC either, though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The coloration mimics the style on our currency.

I mean I guess you could say that's universal but that seems pretty weird on their part, especially when the city it is going to be is the biggest anticipation for the game.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Spectre-x wrote:
    You'd think any sandbox car theft and crime simulation game would be kind of superfluous after Saints Row the 3rd comes out.

I think there's room for both, as long as GTA takes itself seriously instead of having internet cafes that are dirty puns

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    WGTA 5 FM, playing the best hits from the 80s, 90s, and now!

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

I think there's room for both, as long as GTA takes itself seriously instead of having internet cafes that are dirty puns

No, sorry, GTA's humor has always been a critical part of the game. It's always a more serious story than Saint's Row, and it's always a good story. A really goddamn good story. But there is always a heavily ironic humor to the game series and it does a lot to make it great.

And I really have 0 doubt it'll be a better game than Saints Row the 3rd. I'm sure that'll be a stellar game, but Rockstar are really really good at their jobs and new GTA games are uncannily good about one-uping all the competition.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    But.. you use currency in all of your states don't you?
    yeah I know DC's not a state

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I'm just saying Fox news will use that term verbatim.

Fox news would tell people to buy it because of that.

Until a republican wins a presidential election.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Record breaking computer game sales in the illiterate redneck community.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Saints Row 3 is likely going to be fantastic, but I tend to be more invested in Rockstar stories

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Post this in the Op, bruh.

Untitled-10.jpg

jkZziGc.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Maryland/DC would be fucking boring though.

Grand Theft Auto: Delaware

(Delaware's a boring place right? I hope so or my joke doesn't work. Wayne's World told me it was)

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Sweet, DC. So if you're doing a mission and it's between 7-9:30 AM or 4-7 PM you'll be stuck in gridlock on 495 for 2 hours.

brDe918.jpg
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Maryland/DC would be fucking boring though.

Part of the charm of 4 was the New York skyline and all those skyscrapers... in DC it's against the law to build any building taller than the washington monument. So yeah, it'd just be a bunch of squat boxy buildings to roam around.

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote:
    Sweet, DC. So if you're doing a mission and it's between 7-9:30 AM or 4-7 PM you'll be stuck in gridlock on 495 for 2 hours.

rolling around the city at 2 AM in-game everything is dark and shut down

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

No, sorry, GTA's humor has always been a critical part of the game. It's always a more serious story than Saint's Row, and it's always a good story. A really goddamn good story. But there is always a heavily ironic humor to the game series and it does a lot to make it great.

And I really have 0 doubt it'll be a better game than Saints Row the 3rd. I'm sure that'll be a stellar game, but Rockstar are really really good at their jobs and new GTA games are uncannily good about one-uping all the competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU

both San Andreas and GTA IV have problems with the story they were trying to tell being adversarial to the world the story exists in. They wanted to tell a serious story with exaggerated, often stereotypical, yet 'real' people, but they were putting them in Vice City's world, and it breaks it. I want to take CJ's journey seriously, I want to explore Niko's life transition, but as soon as you throw on a jetpack or walk into a store called tw@t, you've broken consistency. You're going to MacDonalds drivethru in a Lamborghini.

Red Dead Redemption was perfect, because everything was consistent. The only way GTAV has any chance of being 'better' than SR3 is if they take themselves seriously, and even then it'll be the same game on opposite sides of the spectrum. They really aren't comparable anymore, however, so oneupmanship isn't even an argument. They cater to different tastes, and should.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm glad they put "Five" over the V because people these days don't know roman numerals