As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chaos] Chaos in the Old World - Discussion and signups - the Horned Rat

• Options
    Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My group has only played a handful of games with THR, but Khorne hasn't won by VP for us yet. By default, he fucking can't though so any upgrade that is going to take him and his 4 cultists in that direction is going to require a pretty dramatic effect.

Just because YOU fucking can't, don't blame me.
    I fucking CAN.

In the base game, I have won with Khorne on turn 4, by points.
    In the base game, I have taught someone how to win with Khorne on turn 4, by points.

Khorne Points is the single strongest, most dominating strategy in the base game.

From Page 1 of this thread
    Darian wrote:
    ...Khorne can be surprisingly effective at picking up VP if everyone runs from him. ....
    Some discussions on BoardGameGeek that might be useful to look at:
    Magic Gecko's Khorne VP approach (he's Magic Geek on here)

Magic Geek on
  • Options
    WylderWylder Registered User regular
    I honestly don't think it unbalances the game. We've had far more Horned Rat wins in our group than Khorne wins.

No sig for you!
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I could see it being tweaked to 1 point per kill. But it isn't that outrageous.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    To convince me that any one god or upgrade was 'broken' you'd have to have a lot of data.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Hi,
    Can I sign up to play?
    I'm way more familiar with the base set so if I can play one in one of those that would be my preference.

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Done. Added you to the newbie and main lists, Base only.

• Options
    Game 56 is now in progress. It's game 1021 on the board app, cause I don't have permissions.

If someone would like to promote me, I'll remake it as game 56.

No sig for you!
  • Options
    You're promoted.

• Options
    Thanks!

No sig for you!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Darian wrote:
    Done. Added you to the newbie and main lists, Base only.

Awesome Cheers...

I've been following games on here since the late 30's (Game number not years)
    You guys are amazing at this game and so I'd like to learn a lot.

Have just ordered the expansion so when I have played some ftf games I may have a go at that once I am used to it.

Edit - Also, what the hell is going on with Grails in games at the moment? They seem to be turning up almost every game.

Cerberus on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well, it might be worth it if someone could take a look at the deck shuffling/randomization stuff for handtracker on GitHub and make sure everything is set up the way it should be. It's written in Ruby on Rails, but admanb hasn't had much time for it lately and was looking for someone else to step in and help.
    Still, random chance is random.

Darian on
  • Options
    Hmm, it may be worth checking but actually it is not that bad.
    I did a bit of a look back and this is what I found:

Game 47 - Grails
    Game 48 - No Grails
    Game 49 - No Grails
    Game 50 - Base Set
    Game 51 - No Grails
    Game 52 - No Grails
    Game 53 - No Grails (Yet)
    Game 54 - Grails
    Game 55 - Grails
    Game 56 - Grails

So they have turned up four out of nine times, thats not too bad, its just they have turned up for the last three games which is likely why they were in my head.

Seriously though, screw Bretonia, it is way too risky! ;-)

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    Darian wrote:
    Well, it might be worth it if someone could take a look at the deck shuffling/randomization stuff for handtracker on GitHub and make sure everything is set up the way it should be. It's written in Ruby on Rails, but admanb hasn't had much time for it lately and was looking for someone else to step in and help.
    Still, random chance is random.

I took a quick peek; each deck is basically an array, and shuffling uses Ruby's built-in Array.shuffle method, so there's not really any room for any funny business to be going on.

• Options
    So it's just our imagination when the chaos decks seem to keep coming up in clumps of the same card? Good to know!

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Cerberus wrote:
    Game 50 - Base Set

FYI - The Grail is a Base Set card.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah! HAH!

Seriously though, if anyone wants to start tweaking or adding features I'm happy to pull in new work. I want to do more work on it, but right now everything seems to be Good Enough so I'm not very motivated.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Yeah! HAH!

Seriously though, if anyone wants to start tweaking or adding features I'm happy to pull in new work. I want to do more work on it, but right now everything seems to be Good Enough so I'm not very motivated.

I have this same motovational problem. Wanna know how i overcome it? Self insults. (looking in mirror)It is NOT good enough. You are a failure if you stop now. Others are depending on you and your are letting them down. Lives are at stake and you think "it's good enough"....it works ONLY if your believe your really a piece of shit. Man...after re-reading this. i think i may have some issues to go work out...take your time yo, get to it whenever...

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    texasheat wrote:
    admanb wrote:
    Yeah! HAH!

I have this same motovational problem. Wanna know how i overcome it? Self insults. (looking in mirror)It is NOT good enough. You are a failure if you stop now. Others are depending on you and your are letting them down. Lives are at stake and you think "it's good enough"....it works ONLY if your believe your really a piece of shit. Man...after re-reading this. i think i may have some issues to go work out...take your time yo, get to it whenever...

... you got some issues, dude. :)

• Options
    stever777 wrote:
    Cerberus wrote:
    Game 50 - Base Set

FYI - The Grail is a Base Set card.

Sorry stupid mistake... no Grail then...

• Options
    Magic GeekMagic Geek Registered User regular
    I have updated all the autoplayers. :)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can put me on inactive for both lists.

Like Frosty the Snowman, I'll be back some day.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Shiny new Mod badge? Congrats!

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Do we have a list of the cards available in each deck? Like how many havoc cards are in Tzeentch's Morsleb deck?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Handtracker has that info.

Edit: The answer appears to be "3".

Import from another thread:
    I'm pretty certain the board app only allows the creator to save changes to the board. It isn't really intended as a table replacement so much as an automation tool for posting updates.

This is the case; I'm sorry if I led you guys to believe otherwise.

So is there any concern on your end of just doing something like "Game Y" account that is shared among the players? There isn't any hidden information available anywhere in the board app so I don't see a game play issue.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Import from another thread:
    I'm pretty certain the board app only allows the creator to save changes to the board. It isn't really intended as a table replacement so much as an automation tool for posting updates.

This is the case; I'm sorry if I led you guys to believe otherwise.

So is there any concern on your end of just doing something like "Game Y" account that is shared among the players? There isn't any hidden information available anywhere in the board app so I don't see a game play issue.

I don't have any problem with it. I haven't implemented multi-user edits because if I did, I'd ideally like for it to automatically track PP changes and at least some card effects, which would be a lot of work.

I have dreams of redoing the whole thing from the ground up so that it's way more stable (and not an embarrassing mess), but who knows when I'll have time...anyway, if that day comes I'll probably add an option for multi-user editing, and just let the users worry about the increased chances of errors creeping in.

• Options
    Pretty sure I know the answer to this one but, during a ftf game, this came up.
    (Sorry if this has been covered.)
    Since Grey Seer says "summon", does that mean you can only do it in or adjacent to friendly-occupied regions, like a "normal" summoning?
    I'm assuming no, as it's a card-based exception but couldn't nail it down from the FAQ & rules.

• Options
    No; Grey Seer's summon is not restricted by adjacency any more than The Blood God's Call or Teleport were in the base. The adjacency rules are a restriction on regular/direct summons and are not automatically applied to moves from Chaos cards; when needed, Chaos cards will include their own adjacency restriction (e.g. Terror and Lambs to the Slaughter.

• Options
    Thought so. Thanks, D.

• Options
    A friendly reminder to players in any Morrslieb game: don't draw before the GM reveals the Old World Card! You're going to feel really dumb if you draw early, Closing the Portal comes up, and you end up with your deck screwed up and no easy way to fix it.

• Options
    In case anyone wants to watch, there's an unofficial game that started up recently. Thread is here!

• Options
    Unofficial games are not allowed!

• Options
    But... Why would you say that? You're running an unofficial game right now! It's not even your first time!

• Options
    Unofficial on PB, not linked to CF.

• Options
    It's a free forum; if a group of people want to come in and run their own game, who am I to stop them? Anyway, it's there if people want to take a look.

• Options
    My game started with just my friends and needed others, who we got here.
    I'm just kidding, of course.
    Anyone can do anything they want, as long as it's OK with you.

• Options
    Congrats to pesky on his victory by VP in game 52; clever use of the acolyte upgrade combined with a poor showing in battle by the Great Unclean One earned him the win.

I'll start up another game sometime this weekend.

• Options
    peskypesky Registered User regular
    Thanks. But seriously epic dice roll failure for blah! Someone start another game or I am gonna double host to speed things up. :P

• Options
    Doing my usual (newby, host, three from the top), looks like you won't be in my next game. Or someone else could take the next one and I'll wait a few days for 38thDoe to get power back/finish up his phalla before starting mine, which would then include you.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That leads me to a question, how are we on hosts? Are most of the people who want to be in a game currently in a game?

Is there any interest in trying for a "day" game? This would happen over the course of a day (likely a Saturday or Sunday) where all the participants would be near their computers almost all the time (well, "normal hours" in a given time zone) for rapid turnaround in turns. I know I have some Saturday/Sundays where what I end up doing is mostly school work that ties me to a computer anyways.

I'm also curious about making a "communist" game work. One where the administration is done by the players with a shared board account on FWD's site. I don't see anything with the Handtracker site that would cause this to be an issue. Though I suppose I should set up a test game to check that.

Thoughts?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The way I would do a "communist" game is to have a non-player create the game in handtracker, shuffle up the decks, and handle the permissions. That way, everyone can still only see what they are supposed to (the game creator can see the decks and all draws, otherwise).
    The unofficial game here is doing a shared account on the board site, already. As long as you post the board to a thread every few moves, that part should work fine.

Darian on
This discussion has been closed.