As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Show off your guts!

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
Here's mine:

qTwDi.jpg

Notable features are:
Corsair water cooling thing on the CPU (i5 750 @ 4.01gHz)
Intel X-25 SSD velcroed to the side of the 5.25" drive bay
ATI 5870 with an Accelero Xtreme cooler
8 gigs of cheap RAM
OCZ modular power supply @ 700 watts
1TB Samsung drive (gonna upgrade it to a 3TB soon)
Some cheap DVD burner
Biostar motherboard
Asus Xonar D1 sound card (don't buy this card)

I couldn't make the 2.5" - 3.5" adapter for my SSD work out right because it was a flimsy piece of shit, but I had this velcro tape lying around so I just stuck the drive on the side of the bay like that. Effective solution all told.

The black cables under the video card are a bit of a mess but it's not that big of a deal to me. I don't really have a way to tidy them up or I would.

Because of the way the radiator for the cooler works that rear fan is intake and the top fan is exhaust. I need to turn the front fan around to also be exhaust I think. As is it doesn't draw that much air in so I think it'd be better used blowing the other way.

So what do you think? Good/bad/ugly?

POST YOUR OWN!

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    I really like your cable management. And your psudo-watercooler that offers exactly no benefit over a good air setup.

I'll post mine in the morning when I find my camera.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I know it doesn't provide any temperature benefits. But it's one less fan making noise in there.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Alright, here's me:

photo.JPG

image.jpeg

Items of note:
    Case: Corsair 600T in white
    Corsair h60 CPU water cooler
    A couple of Sapphire Radeon HD 6950s
    Corsair modular HX750 PSU
    A couple of hard drives and a couple of SSDs.
    16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance. Because RAM is cheaper than gas to get to the computer store.
    All the fans are white LEDs and are controlled by the 600T's build in fan controller.

I love this PSU because all the cables (even the CPU power) are long enough to route behind the motherboard back plate. Nothing stretched across my case. I used to have the same OCZ PSU as you, @Harvest and I hated that the cords were so short (at least in a large case like the 600T), but otherwise it was a good power supply.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    harvest wrote:
    I know it doesn't provide any temperature benefits. But it's one less fan making noise in there.

Doesn't the radiator have a fan in it? I remember the review for that thing (or a better one) compaining it blew air the wrong way.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Falken wrote:
    harvest wrote:

Doesn't the radiator have a fan in it? I remember the review for that thing (or a better one) compaining it blew air the wrong way.

The radiator just attaches to your rear (or top) exhaust fan. It will blow whichever way you set it up to.

The directions for it said to put it with the back fan, and make that fan intake. I haven't tried it as exhaust.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Alright, here's me:

[sexyness]

Items of note:
    16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance. Because RAM is cheaper than gas to get to the computer store.
    All the fans are white LEDs and are controlled by the 600T's build in fan controller.

I love this PSU because all the cables (even the CPU power) are long enough to route behind the motherboard back plate. Nothing stretched across my case. I used to have the same OCZ PSU as you, @Harvest and I hated that the cords were so short (at least in a large case like the 600T), but otherwise it was a good power supply.

Hey I have that same PSU. ^5!
    Too bad my case is nowhere near as sexy.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Alright, here's me:

Items of note:

That's beautiful. When I put together my next gaming PC, I'm using that case.

Thanks. I love the 600T. It's such a good looking case, and the cable management is fantastic.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Well, I'll plug the PC Build thread OP for more shots of PAer's PCs. If you have the time, you can also go through the (really long at this point) thread to see more.

And in keeping with this thread:

Giga%252520PC%252520Internals.JPG

harvest wrote:
    The directions for it said to put it with the back fan, and make that fan intake. I haven't tried it as exhaust.

Yep, wrong way.

I found my camera. Shots incoming.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    @harvest, @minor incident -- what CPUs are in your boxes?

incident, your build looks great.

i'll post my 17-month old compy when i have a chance to snap a picture. it's substantially uglier.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Griswold wrote:

i'll post my 17-month old compy when i have a chance to snap a picture. it's substantially uglier.

Thanks! Mine is an Intel i5 2500k, overclocked to 4.5ghz

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I'm really tempted to post a picture of my fat gut. But I'm way too self-conscious. :oops:

edited October 2011
    Here's mine, which I put together in June 2010:

2enomtk.jpg

The cable management is shitty, I know, but the power supply's not modular, and the cables are shielded and thick. This was my first ever build, so mostly I was happy the damn thing didn't catch fire when I plugged it in.

Relevant specs:

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition at 3.8GHz (Hyper 212+ on drums)
    4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1600/CL7, at 1688MHz/8-8-7-24-1T
    GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5870 (stock speeds)
    Corsair TX-750 PSU
    Spinpoint F3 1TB, with I think a Caviar Green in there for backup
    HAF 922

I may revisit the graphics card overclock at some point. There was like a 14-month period where I couldn't get a driver newer than the 10.5 release to work with my GPU.

Griswold on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Alecthar - how much did your setup cost you? I'm thinking ONE of your video cards is what my budget to upgrade mine is....think your computer might be worth more than my car right now

steam_sig.png
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    V8%20Cooler%20(3).JPG

This was the last picture I took but its a bit old. I have replaced the AMD4850 with a 5850 and put a bunch more ram in there. I'll have to take a new one next time I get it out to clean the dust filter.

Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4ghz
    MSI 790GX-G65
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
    Asus Radeon HD 5850
    Rosewill Lightening 800W PSU
    160gig OCZ-VERTEX2
    Various other slow HDD

Griswold wrote:

2enomtk.jpg

The cable management is shitty, I know, but the power supply's not modular, and the cables are shielded and thick. This was my first ever build, so mostly I was happy the damn thing didn't catch fire when I plugged it in.

Looking at this now, I can see that I can put the whole mess of TX-750 cables behind the motherboard. Also, there's gotta be a connector on the mobo for that front fan.

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    sam0187t.jpg

Here's mine. Old pictures from the build project, I'll take more when I get home. I've added a second 6870 since this picture was taken.

Cooler Master HAF 922 case
    Phenom II X4 965 Black @ 4.0ghz
    ASUS M4A89TD PRO
    4GB OCZ RAM
    2x XFX Radeon HD 6870s
    Seasonic 750W PSU
    500gb WD Black

Cooler is a Thermalright Venomous-X, and all the 120mm fans have been replaced with Yate-Loons. Highs peed on the cooler (and the one directly above), and the rest are lows.

Pirusu on
    I re-managed my cables today.

34yv9g9.jpg

Better?

Better.

Griswold wrote:

My cpu is an I5 750 (2.6ghz stock) at 4.0 ghz.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • LuxisLuxis Registered User new member
    Here's my quiet HTPCish build, recently relocated to a Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E. Originally built 09/2009 with PSU and GFX card replaced last year.

Computer_001.jpg
    Computer_002.jpg

Gigabyte P55UDM-4
    Intel i5 750 (2.6 Ghz) with Scythe Mini Ninja replacing the stock cooler. Cooled by adjacent Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan set at Ultra-Low-Noise setting (900RPM/12Db) (pulls air out of case).
    4 GB Ram (2 x Corsair CM3X2G1333C9)
    Gigabyte GTS 450 1GB (GV-N450-1GI) and Artic Twin Turbo replacing the stock cooler. Cooler fans connect to PSU directly with 7v adapter.
    WD Black Caviar 750GB
    Seasonic X-Series 400 460W Fanless PSU

I like the case design but I'm NOT using the big 180mm case fan because it's too noisy (even on low). Maybe I got a bad fan, cause the people at SPCR seemed to like it, but mine has a really annoying rasping buzz. I think I'm going to remove it to improve airflow...

Temps are GPU 40C, CPUS 40Cish general duty. I don't play a lot of games, but they seem to put the GPU into the 60-70s. Planning to buy a fan controller to turn off the GPU fans when I'm not playing games. With only three quiet fans running (Noctua and 2 on the Twin Turbo), I'm pretty happy with the noise level.

To do/buy list is
    More ram.
    SSD. HDD = loud.
    Fan Controller
    Maybe replacement 180mm fan

Long time lurker, first post. woo :)

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Alecthar holy fuck

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Also: artists depiction of video card size in 2027

File.jpeg

• WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    Thank you all so much for the Power Supply and Case suggestions:

For the first time ever I have a very clean system. The cable management took HOURS, but I am very happy with the results.

photo.jpg

Next stop: Upgrade Mobo/CPU/Ram and completely replace those ancient hard drives!

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Nice case, Wavechaser. I tend to prefer the ones with dual front intake fans and fewer 5.25 bays, but ain't nothing wrong with that.

Jasconius wrote:
    Alecthar holy fuck
    I try, I really do.

Alecthar on
    That's a damn clean job, @Wavechaser

And yes, @Alecthar's rig is basically the reason threads like this exist. It's like one of those sample rigs you see in Corsair product videos built specifically to make you feel inadequate.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My case is a major pain in the ass, but its pretty and small. I defy anyone to run cables better than this short of splicing your own custom lengths (mostly removing the excess under the drive carriage, free up space for the visible stuff). On second thought, you couldn't. Then you'd block the only exhaust fan. Fuck it, this is perfect.
    Bite me.
    43047792.jpg
    ui2ikf5272708bcviewattt.jpg

Thank god for an empty bay
    94519102.jpg

And look, extra space!
    39076848.jpg

Skoal Cat on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Luxis wrote:
    Here's my quiet HTPCish build, recently relocated to a Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E. Originally built 09/2009 with PSU and GFX card replaced last year.
    Computer_001.jpg
    Computer_002.jpg

Gigabyte P55UDM-4
    Intel i5 750 (2.6 Ghz) with Scythe Mini Ninja replacing the stock cooler. Cooled by adjacent Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan set at Ultra-Low-Noise setting (900RPM/12Db) (pulls air out of case).
    4 GB Ram (2 x Corsair CM3X2G1333C9)
    Gigabyte GTS 450 1GB (GV-N450-1GI) and Artic Twin Turbo replacing the stock cooler. Cooler fans connect to PSU directly with 7v adapter.
    WD Black Caviar 750GB
    Seasonic X-Series 400 460W Fanless PSU

I like the case design but I'm NOT using the big 180mm case fan because it's too noisy (even on low). Maybe I got a bad fan, cause the people at SPCR seemed to like it, but mine has a really annoying rasping buzz. I think I'm going to remove it to improve airflow...

Temps are GPU 40C, CPUS 40Cish general duty. I don't play a lot of games, but they seem to put the GPU into the 60-70s. Planning to buy a fan controller to turn off the GPU fans when I'm not playing games. With only three quiet fans running (Noctua and 2 on the Twin Turbo), I'm pretty happy with the noise level.

To do/buy list is
    More ram.
    SSD. HDD = loud.
    Fan Controller
    Maybe replacement 180mm fan

Long time lurker, first post. woo :)

People here love big honkin' cases but I have been coveting this case because it's so neat. I wish case manufacturers would offer something in the 16"-18" sides size (a little bigger than the Temjin) that was actually smartly arranged on the inside. Instead the options seem to be tiny cases like this or big honking huge things like the 600T.

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2011
    You might want to look at something like the Lian Li A05NB. The TJ08-E probably draws a lot of inspiration from it. It's a bit larger, because it can handle full ATX motherboards, but it's about as big as most Micro-ATX mini-towers. The layout is somewhat unusual (reverse motherboard mounting, front mounted PSU, airflow goes from back to front) but it's actually not a bad idea, you get fresh intake air right into your CPU heatsink. The only real shortcoming is the lack of top exhaust for GPUs, but you can mod the case or purchase a top plate with a 140mm fan mount from Lian Li.

Alecthar on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote:
    Well, I'll plug the PC Build thread OP for more shots of PAer's PCs. If you have the time, you can also go through the (really long at this point) thread to see more.

And in keeping with this thread:

Giga%252520PC%252520Internals.JPG
    You have no idea how jelly I am. :P

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    ok i'm gonna post mine later
    i'm in brazil, so don't hate my lamer parts too much :(

Good and affordable cases and PSUs are VERY hard to find, because they're particularly expensive to bring over here, thanks to the size and weight.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    @Alecthar you can't just post that and not give any details! I'm interested in the case and CPU cooler especially. And you don't seem to have any optical drive at all. How do you install your OS? Bootable USB drive?

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    This is a good excuse to dust my rig out again. I'll snag some pictures and put 'em up in a bit

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    harvest wrote:
    @Alecthar you can't just post that and not give any details! I'm interested in the case and CPU cooler especially. And you don't seem to have any optical drive at all. How do you install your OS? Bootable USB drive?

The case is the Corsair 600T. I'd highly recommend it, or either of its little brothers, the 500R and 400R. The CPU cooler is a Prolimatech Megahalems with 2 High Speed Yate Loon fans in Push/Pull. Looks cool and performs beautifully, and has one of the best mounting systems I've even encountered on an aftermarket heatsink. As for the lack of an Optical drive, I have an external CD/DVD burner that I use. It's a bit more convenient given the way my desk is laid out, and it helps reduce cable clutter in the case.

What's push/pull? Should I post this in the computer build thread?

B6yM5w2.gif
    edited October 2011
    hi5 for external optical drives alecthar

It just works so much better

harvest wrote:
    What's push/pull? Should I post this in the computer build thread?

One fan is pushing air into the cooler while the other pulls air out.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    quick and dirty

054.JPG

Not pictured are the two fans up top. 200mm + another 140mm. The cable management was rushed and if i redo that i want a new motherboard. I can't overclock. :( Asus fucked me for the first time ever.

if i ever upgrade the motherboard I'll get another 120mm fan for the liquid cooler, but as of right now it doesn't really need it. idles low 30s games at mid 50s.

actual gutshots now!

Guts
    IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg

And a shot of the horrible wire mess on the back side of things
    IMG_0073.jpg

Gentle Typhoons are just sexy looking fans, even if using 'em as case fans is a bit silly
    IMG_0084.jpg

Relevant stuff:
    i7 2600 overclocked to 4.01ghz(I kick myself every time I boot that I was a fool who didn't know to get the k model)
    a sapphire 6950 2gig
    16 gigs of mushkin silverline, because dang if ram isn't cheap
    120gig agility 3 ssd and 2tb western digital black for storage
    noctua nh-u12p for cpu cooling
    case fans are a trio of gentle typhoon ap15s and a pair of scythe kaze maru2s
    all wrapped up in a pretty little fractal define r3 case

I could probably do a better job of cabling, even with the fixed cables on my PSU. just looking at those pictures I see a bunch of stuff I could tighten up and hide better.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    rnk0cl.jpg

Very dusty. Messy cables. But I love it anyway.
    Just added a 2TB HDD.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png