As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    I'll be the Pink Ranger!

Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    In the First Timer's thread, someone posted something that I think we should use as a reminder here. I added my own commentary as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regiment wrote:
    Lastly, if you're planning to wear a costume, be aware that the convention center is packed with people and tends to be rather warm, especially if you're buried in layers. I'm not sure how the guy in full-on Gears of War armor stayed upright.

This is true. PLAN COSTUMES ACCORDINGLY. One of my plans is to do an Angry Birds costume, but all the ideas I see online involve padding against the body, which could make for one hot perturbed avian. So my plan is to have some sort of lightweight structure, and underneath, wearing workout gear of some sort, and appropriately colored tights on the legs. All of this being LIGHTWEIGHT.

Also, RE: costumes, if you wear one, A) expect people to want to take your picture (especially if it's really awesome), and B) make sure you get emails from them if you want to see those pictures as well, so carry around a little notebook with you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    the fact that the convention center does get warm is exactly why i've decided to not go with cap'n jack's coat. i'll have to settle on the vortex manipulator and my company to let people know who i am.

and what makes bastions kid's costume so hard? sounds like an awesome idea to me.

7US7VWW.png
  • DavidLinSuperstarDavidLinSuperstar Registered User new member
    Looking for: 300 physically fit men to dress up as Spartans
    Goal: To form giant phalanx in the heart of the convention center Boston.
    If 300 men is not feasible, 10+ should do the trick.

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    lol I'm i pretty good shape, but not walk around half naked shape... lol if I some how figure out my diet ad can drop 20 pounds before pax I'll let you know... lol

• Bi0man22Bi0man22 Registered User new member
    My plan is a bit ambitious, but I am currently working on a full size Terran Marine costume.

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Looking for: 300 physically fit men to dress up as Spartans
    Goal: To form giant phalanx in the heart of the convention center Boston.
    If 300 men is not feasible, 10+ should do the trick.

This. This is why I wish to be male.

• XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    the fact that the convention center does get warm is exactly why i've decided to not go with cap'n jack's coat. i'll have to settle on the vortex manipulator and my company to let people know who i am.

This is exactly what worries me about the 4th Doctor. I'll be wearing dress shirt, sweater, coat, and a scarf. I'll be lucky not to pass out by lunchtime.

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Xerlith wrote:

This is exactly what worries me about the 4th Doctor. I'll be wearing dress shirt, sweater, coat, and a scarf. I'll be lucky not to pass out by lunchtime.

build a camelbak and some fans into your outfit ;)

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Pascual wrote:
    I'm thinking of throwing something together and would be my first year doing any sort of cosplay. Any veterans have some helpful pointers?

Agree with most of the posts I'm seeing here. Definitely about the thermoregulation bit - I wore a Sophitia costume, so covered up with a jacket that Wasn't part of my costume, for walking outside, then chucked it at the bag check. was able to survive the warmth and heat from running around inside.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Going as a Planeswalker from MTG with my fiancée, may also wear our Captain America and dancer outfits, if they survive 1) Tonight's party and 2) the Halloween 5K on sunday @_@

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ishtra wrote:
    I wore a Sophitia costume

There were people at last year's PAX East dressed as characters from my favorite video game series ever and I missed it? Curses!

I agree with what a few people are saying - we need to do an unofficial cosplay meetup or two. I want more pictures of awesome costumes.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
    ishtra wrote:
    Going as a Planeswalker from MTG with my fiancée

I have though about putting together an Urza costume many times

7US7VWW.png
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Regiment wrote:
    We need to do an unofficial cosplay meetup or two. I want more pictures of awesome costumes.

Dude heck yes! I'd like one either Friday or Saturday, hopefully earlier in the day when everyone's costumes are fresh.

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Regiment wrote:
    We need to do an unofficial cosplay meetup or two. I want more pictures of awesome costumes.

Dude heck yes! I'd like one either Friday or Saturday, hopefully earlier in the day when everyone's costumes are fresh.

When the schedule comes out, I'll try to find a time and a place where we could do a meetup, and I'll post it here. We could have one on Friday and one on Saturday to give everyone a chance to come to one.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
    my friends and I will be cosplaying on friday only i think so if there is a meet up then i'd be all for it.

7US7VWW.png
    I have though about putting together an Urza costume many times
    Nice! We're doing Jace and Elspeth :D

Regiment wrote:
    When the schedule comes out, I'll try to find a time and a place where we could do a meetup, and I'll post it here. We could have one on Friday and one on Saturday to give everyone a chance to come to one.
    Would be cool!

• PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    I'll be the Pink Ranger!

If you get a full costume, be sure to let me know! I am currently working on a Pink ranger turbo outfit, but I have yet to find anyone who can make the suit. Don't think it will happen before East, but I already have this one, so I will be the Blue Ranger at East.

Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    On Friday I'm going to be Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who (because my boyfriend wants to be the 4th Doctor)
    and Saturday (and probably sunday) I'll be Silver from Pokemon. (The rival in Silver/Gold/SoulSilver/HeartGold, in case you didn't know)

I will also have his team in my Black Version (a mix of his game and manga one) if anyone wants to battle (if you battle me because of that though I may be rude for I am Silver)
    and on the off chance there's a second Silver, I'm the one that will be carrying around a Wooper. (My favorite pokemon and my identification item so people always know it's me)

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    On Friday I'm going to be Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who (because my boyfriend wants to be the 4th Doctor)
    and Saturday (and probably sunday) I'll be Silver from Pokemon. (The rival in Silver/Gold/SoulSilver/HeartGold, in case you didn't know)

Technically, her boyfriend wanted to be Rude from FFVII, but apparently he isn't allowed to shave his head for some reason.

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Onmitsu wrote:
    So I'm debating as either going as Dr. Wily or Megaman in their Protomen incarnations...

Wily would be easier (I need just a nice suit and tie and hat and facepaint and swagger, the former of which can be obtained cheaply from thrift stores and costume supply stores, the latter of which I have naturally), but Megaman would be more iconic and easily identifiable. I am poor as dirt however, so I'm hoping to find some way to do that Megaman costume as cheaply as possible.
    Basic design is a mishmash of what a lot of other people have done -- some kind of blue vest (double breasted if I can find it, single if I can't), lighter blue dress shirt, dark blue slacks, boots, some assortment of belts and things with pockets (because fuck yeah pockets!) and a black trenchcoat over it all, with the iconic helmet and gun. Biggest hangups are... well, helmet and gun (the rest is thrift shoppable)
    Other suggestions are also welcome (I've seen the costume done with a leather jacket instead, or just "dress like Panther")

The arm cannon can be done fairly inexpensively if you want to go with the PVC route, just be warned that PVC is fairly heavy so you need to be ready to lug that around a con. For the helmet, motorcycle helmets are pretty standard but you might be able to get a plastic something or other that fits the bill. Wily is pretty identifiable, btw, if you do the Protomen Incarnation of him. The suit and W on the face will make you right recognizable :)
    Cheap Megaman is quite doable depending on your skill level and the availability of a sewing machine:
    1.) Shirt - http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-View-Patterns-Western-Pattern/dp/B0018IPG5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320042091&sr=8-1
    This pattern is god tier for what you need. It fits almost perfectly with the Protomen layout. I modified the bib on mine to join to the shirt via snaps instead of buttons for a better look and also extended the bottom of the bib down to the hem of the shirt so it'd look right. I'm kinda tempted to make another one in black with the proper red trim so I can have a band style shirt to wear to any bar concerts. El Corazon in my Megaman get up damn near killed me due to the sheer heat.

2.) Pants - A standard pattern for some slacks and the same blue fabric you used on your shirt will do the job nicely.

3.) Arm Cannon - My Mark 1 cannon was made out of a Nerf Maverick, a Nerf Vulcan EBF-25, and some PVC. The Vulcan is kinda spendy though. My Mark 2, however, is being made out of a Nerf Barricade, a Nerf Recon, and I'm undecided about the arm mount. The PVC works but it doesn't really look all that awesome. I want something more robotic looking. I'm suspecting I may end up stealing some sheet metal off of one of the boats in the fleet.

4.) Helmet - My Mark 1 helmet was a motorcycle helmet I got on the cheapside from leatherup.com, but an even cheaper method exists by handforming one out of cardboard and then coating it with Bondo. Once the Bondo hardens you can sand it down for a nice smooth appearance. This is how I plan to make my Mark 2 helmet since I want to go for a tighter fitting, more badass looking helmet this time. My Mark 1 helmet was a tad big and after getting a good look at the band's helmet, I realized there was basically no padding inside so if you go the motorcycle helmet route, opt for a smaller helmet and then rip the insulation out. The crest on my helmet was made out of craft foam coated in modeling clay.

5.) Coat - The coat you'll have to find a pattern for. I cheated and bought a rifle coat from the Gentlemen's Emporium. It's an amazingly badass coat and really good quality but as you might imagine it's also $Texas. If you need advice/help feel free to shoot me a PM. I posted a bunch of pictures in the 2011 Pax Prime Costume thread if you wanna flip through it to get an idea of what I did.

6.) Boots - I bought some polyvinyl boots from the Gentlemen's Emporium and died them blue using Angelus Leather Dye. There are better dye options available but the Meletonian Nu-Life dye I SHOULD have used couldn't be shipped to where I live. Surprisingly, the Angelus stuff held up amazingly well so it is a potential option, though it will take a ton of coats to finish the boots up. (The boots turned out to be amazingly comfy once I tossed a set of inserts into them).

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/129084/pax-prime-costumes-2011#Item_614 This thread contains a bunch of picture spam relating to the formation of my Megaman costume.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    I was the guy in the full on gear outfit… http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150107330460740.280847.500035739&type=1&l=008f62e40c

Just a fun fact, with everything on, it weight about 65 lbs.  It is a beast with it on all day long, but I do it because for me it is a blast, and I like taking the time to talk with gamers about games and cosplay.  Things that helped in the process… prior to last year’s pax east I had dropped about 100 lbs, so that made getting around much easier. 

TMI – once I have the suit on I don’t go to the bathroom for the whole day.  This is a bit of mind over matter, and if push came to shove and I could get to a bathroom in time I guess I would go, but I try to be very careful about what I have for breakfast, and what I drink throughout the day…

This will be my third year in my gears armor, and now it feels like a second skin and I can move around it very well.  If you are wearing something like it, take the time to get used to how it moves and how you have to move in it, trust me, you will be very thankful that you do.

Be aware of your surroundings -  If you have a large costume, or will be considerably larger in it, be aware of where you’re walking and how your walking… if you can have a buddy help you, all the better, and if you happen to bump into someone or something, be polite and always say you’re sorry, even if it was the other persons fault, just say you’re sorry, it goes along way and keeps you in the good graces of everyone.

If your costume uses hot glue…always, always carry a lighter with you… more in this later.

When using prop weapons – once again always be aware of your surroundings, and never point it at a person, always point the barrel or muzzle to the side of a person’s body or head.  I know it’s just a prop, but it’s always better to be safer than sorry due to any type of accident.

If you know you have back issues (like me) or you’ll need a place to sit you can try these… http://www.amazon.com/Walkstool-WA22-Comfort-Portable-Folding/dp/B000N2DHQ4 .  By far the best $100 I’ve ever spent on a product since I’ve been cosplaying.

There is a ton more I could say, but if anyone has any question, please feel free to ask.

Be excellent to each other!
  • RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I was this for Halloween. This is the costume. I wish I could find the full outfit. I need a helmet.
    SHD20Rachel20Costello_JPG.jpg
    PinkRanger wrote:
    I'll be the Pink Ranger!
    If you get a full costume, be sure to let me know! I am currently working on a Pink ranger turbo outfit, but I have yet to find anyone who can make the suit. Don't think it will happen before East, but I already have this one, so I will be the Blue Ranger at East.

Rachelkitten on
    Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    shiloh your costume is awesome! i have pics of you from both years.

always so fun to see what people are putting together!

to the earlier poster about CTS, definitely there are always a few CTS cosplayers hanging around. here's a pic i took from the first east of a female CTS at the front of the queue room: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7542311@N02/4705303692/in/set-72157624160840083

last year my friends and I did a smash brothers group costume, and I hastily threw together 'falco' at the last minute, which was fun. but I'd like to be a little more committed this year.

I was sort of thinking of doing Faith from Mirror's Edge. I already bought the red fingerless bike gloves. She's so tempting because it would be so fun to do her eye makeup and crazy arm tattoo (fake, of course!): http://firsthour.net/screenshots/mirrors-edge/mirrors-edge-faith-profile-ponder.jpg Plus since it's so normal over all it would be pretty comfy to walk around in all day. And Mirror's Edge is kick-ass.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • WikalWikal Registered User regular
    First time PAXer here, so I'm really excited. Thinking about going as Hawke from Dragon age. You guys have any good tips for making costumes (like how do I get a sort of aged metal look)?

• WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    Going as a Chomper from Plants vs Zombies! I made it for Halloween - you can see some of it in my avatar.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • CARTER-A259CARTER-A259 Registered User regular
    I'll hopefully be cosplaying Nathan Drake from Uncharted 3. Could possibly have a Chloe and Sully with me as well.

• LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    I think this years PAX will be my cosplay debut. I have a great idea that I've never seen done before. For the time being I want to keep it a secret, but I will definitely be attending any meetups and have some great "in-character" giveaways...

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I have three costumes in mind. One for each day.

1. Kelly's Spartan flight suit from Halo. (you think they're nekked under that armor?)
    2. Shepard's Mass Effect1 Normandy crew uniform(Blue one)
    3. Mass Effect Alliance Casual Uniform(Grey crew shirt and black cargo pants)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    started working on my Idris (dr.who) costume!!! fabric is bought and corset started!!!

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Step one of Angry Birds costume: Concept Art - DONE

Next Step: Measurements

i just finished bastion and now i REALLY want to do a "The Kid" cosplay.

one thing that holds me back on a lot of cosplay is my long hair. i dont want to cut it but it makes wearing a wig just about impossible and its hard to find a long hairs character i wanna go as.

this year captain jack will most likely have long hair :p

7US7VWW.png
  • TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    I'm getting a cosplay together of Jeanne from Bayonetta. Hopefully all will go well!! If anyone is going as Bayonetta I'd love to meet up and get some pictures :]

• TheRussianFunkTheRussianFunk Registered User regular
    First timer here, gonna try and get together an Eldar Farseer costume, hopefully not too many people will think I'm a girl under the helm/robes since the Farseers in the Dawn of War series have been female. I'm going through old PAX cosplay galleries to get a more refined sense of what props are verboten in addition to the already posted ruleset.

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

1. Kelly's Spartan flight suit from Halo. (you think they're nekked under that armor?)

wow, one for each day is incredibly ambitious. i salute your verve, friend. :)

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular

wow, one for each day is incredibly ambitious. i salute your verve, friend. :)
    It's not too difficult. Coplay #1 and #2 are old flight suits my dad had in the navy, a little bit of tweaking and they'll be all set.
    #3 was a piece together outfit that works out great and is finished. All that's left to do is get some high density foam and craft out a Carnifax Hand cannon and a Halo magnum. That'll be the hardest part...

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • RedBerriesRedBerries Dragon Fister Historian HolbrookRegistered User regular
    I talked all of my friends into going as villains so far we have
    Poison Ivy (me), Solomon Grundy, Harley Quinn, The Calendar Killer, and Maxi Zeus. The Hubs doesn't know what he wants to be, he has longer hair that we don't want to cut and is pretty small in frame, we keep trying to talk him into being the only hero and going as Robin.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    I really want to do a simple Okamiden (puppy in my avatar) costume. Modifying some pants and a sweat shirt with the markings and keeping a small ring of plush prayer beads around me. (So that I don't become an obstacle at the con)

I don't know what other costumes I'd like to do. Maybe Kumatora (Mother 3) if I can find the time to make her dress... I kind of don't want to wear a wig though.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • ChaosLightChaosLight Registered User regular
    First timer here. I'll be going as "guy in homemade chainmail shirt." I might get myself a foam pickaxe and some other accessories and be 'high-rez minecraft Steve.'

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    ChaosLight wrote:
    First timer here. I'll be going as "guy in homemade chainmail shirt." I might get myself a foam pickaxe and some other accessories and be 'high-rez minecraft Steve.'

Any chance of doing button-mail? I know I've seen some people put their buttons to armor use before.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut