As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

1565758596062»

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't use Angelina Jolie, at least. Surely there are more interesting choices than her.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    blank what the fuck happaned to you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Me n' Tube travelled through the Anti-Matter Universe. He is now ecapsknalb and I am ebuT draobdraC.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question!

Was Morrison's run on JLA good? Worth reading?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited June 2007
    Question!

I have problems with the art. It honestly looks more dated to me than stuff from the '80s.

Maybe I'll like it more after giving it a second chance, though.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question-

Since when has Hercules reverted back to his "Duh-like speech"? I cringed at all of his dialogue in Incredible Hulk, except the last pages.

JCM on
    edited June 2007
    Since when is old English (or rather the comic book equivalent) regarded as "Duh-like"?

Though I suppose I don't really know what you mean by that.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Since when is old English (or rather the comic book equivalent) regarded as "Duh-like"?

Him talking about mastering the modern flush-toilet, or the I WILL FIGHT WITH HIM TO THE END! when he saw what happened to hulk´s wife...

He ssemed too much like a comical figure, just put in the story for laughs, until the last pages, when he stopped the Hulk´s rage for Hulk to realize that some were on his side.

JCM on
    edited June 2007
    JCM wrote: »

Him talking about mastering the modern flush-toilet, or the I WILL FIGHT WITH HIM TO THE END! when he saw what happened to hulk´s wife...

He ssemed too much like a comical figure, just put in the story for laughs, until the last pages, when he stopped the Hulk´s rage for Hulk to realize that some were on his side.

The bit about the toilet was a sarcastic remark aimed at Angel for being surprised that Herc can use e-mail, if you didn't know, and it was meant to show that there's no reason to believe Herc is lost in the modern world just because he hails from an ancient era. If anything, it points to him becoming a smarter, wittier character than the dunder-headed anachronism he was formerly written as.

And dramatic displays of outrage are kind of a defining aspect of the character, so I don't see why you'd be surprised.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Maybe I read it wrong, going to re-read it now

JCM on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question!

Yes

Furu on
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Question!

Yes
    What he said.

Yeah there's some bad art, but the writing is pretty much top notch the entire way through.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question!

It is about what you would expect from him. So if you are a Morrison fan, sure.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2007
    How profitable are comic shops? Are they labors of love, or is the industry actually relatively good to owners considering the fact that there aren't really any major retailers to compete with (outside of the area of mainstream trades and movie tie-ins, at least, which Borders and B&N cover) whereas, of course, an independent restaurant or record store would face stiff competition from franchises with name recognition and lower prices?

Also, has there been any documentation of the effect of comic book piracy on the industry? On the one hand image files are smaller, so you'd think downloading as a whole would be more widespread, but at the same time it's harder to scan a book than it is to burn a cd so there are more limitations on that end.

And of course, while you can take bootleg music on the go with an mp3 player or a self-made cd, your only real option with an image file is to print things out and then staple them together. I'm sure we can all agree on how lame that would be, with most of us thinking that would outright ruin the reading experience.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How profitable are comic shops? Are they labors of love, or is the industry actually relatively good to owners considering the fact that there aren't really any major retailers to compete with (outside of the area of mainstream trades and movie tie-ins, at least, which Borders and B&N cover) whereas, of course, an independent restaurant or record store would face stiff competition from franchises with name recognition and lower prices?

Newsarama did a great feature on two guys opening up their first comic shop from a few years back. They did interviews before the store opened, a week later, a month later, and finally six months in. (all links in second paragraph)

Alter Ego Comics (six months later)

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hrm. The last interview was from 2005. I wonder what happened after that... I read all five pieces on them.

devoir on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Also, has there been any documentation of the effect of comic book piracy on the industry? On the one hand image files are smaller, so you'd think downloading as a whole would be more widespread, but at the same time it's harder to scan a book than it is to burn a cd so there are more limitations on that end.

And of course, while you can take bootleg music on the go with an mp3 player or a self-made cd, your only real option with an image file is to print things out and then staple them together. I'm sure we can all agree on how lame that would be, with most of us thinking that would outright ruin the reading experience.

I'm sure eBook readers or nintendo DSs would factor in.

Mai-Kero on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The biggest difference between comic piracy and music piracy is that a digital comic really isn't the same thing as digital music, and a lot of people will refuse to read a comic on a screen. And those willing to pay for it would almost certainly want to pay less.

I guess they see the profit margin as being too small and have just left digital books to the pirates, since as far as I'm aware the only digital books out there, for mainstream lines anyways, are the DVDs you can get of the old X-Men/Spider-man/etc issues. No one's done an "iTunes" yet where you can just buy a file of a new release for a buck.

Scooter on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I only buy trades and so Amazon is a major competitor for my money.

There are only something like 5,000 comic book stores in the country. That being said there are two in my city (little rock) one is literally 2 blocks from my apartment, the other is 20 minutes across town. I shop at the one across town. I happen to work near there and so I can shop during my lunch break so it's not THAT big of a deal.

The reason I shop there and not near my place or through amazon (so far) is because of the guy running the place. He is a pretty cool cat.

I'm relatively new to town but he made a point to ask me my name, give me his, and chat me up. He is chatty if you chat back, but he's not pushy.
    He isn't arrogant or whiny but still knowledgeable

You get that laid back vibe but not the apathy some places give off.

So in essence I feel for a comic book shop to make it you need to the right size city, the right attitude/atmosphere and be charismatic. Work hard and treat every customer with a kind word and some attention.

From everything I've seen his place is doing great business. always people in there and not just lookers/hangers on.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So why the heck does Batman have a problem with Green Lanterns?

DharmaBum on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    So why the heck does Batman have a problem with Green Lanterns?

Well, he had a problem with Guy because well, it's Guy.

His whole mistrust of Hal Jordan came about when Hal became Parallax and you know, went ape shit crazy.

Their friendship is currently being rebuilt, but theres still a.."Hmm..maybe we should call John Stewart instead..." kind of vibe with Bats.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They don't buy what he's selling. After all, what is the Batman if you don't fear him? Just a man.

Wildcat on
    edited June 2007
    Okay. Because I just read Rebirth and I was wondering if Batman's dislike of the Lanterns ran deeper than the Jordan/Parallax and Guy being Guy.

DharmaBum on
    edited June 2007
    Also, Batman relies on scaring the shit out of people, while Hal Jordan and the rest of the Lanterns are pretty much fearless, which he doesn't like one bit.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Batman doesn't like Hal because he's a bland, one-dimensional white bread character who should have stayed dead after he got dragged through the mud by the Parallax storyline.

Wait, that's why I don't like Hal.

Maybe Batman's first exposure to the GL was the cartoons, so for him Kyle and John are the first people he thinks of when someone says Green Lantern?

Nope, that's the other reason I don't like Hal.

It could be because he's pretty arrogant a lot of the time? I don't know.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited June 2007
    Batman = wants all the bad guys to fear him

Green Lantern Corps = powers based on overcoming fear.

They just dont really mix.

There was actually a neat moment in one GL issue where one of the Sinestro rings tries to recruit Bruce.

Bruce Wayne of Earth, you have in you the capacity to induce great fear...

Edit: also Bruce dosen't trust lightly and he still feels betrayed by Hal eventhough it wasnt really his fault.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    You're getting slow Bale.

I WILL BEAT YOU, OLD MAN.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Man I just got fucking home from work

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not sure if saying Hal is completely fearless of Bruce is all that true. There is a reason that Hal took Batman while he was Parallax and tossed him across the earth.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Oh I think Parallax was probably afraid of him.

But Hal, as in the way he is currently written? He is not afraid of Bruce at all. Neither is Guy or Jon. Kyle might be though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    The biggest difference between comic piracy and music piracy is that a digital comic really isn't the same thing as digital music, and a lot of people will refuse to read a comic on a screen. And those willing to pay for it would almost certainly want to pay less.

I guess they see the profit margin as being too small and have just left digital books to the pirates, since as far as I'm aware the only digital books out there, for mainstream lines anyways, are the DVDs you can get of the old X-Men/Spider-man/etc issues. No one's done an "iTunes" yet where you can just buy a file of a new release for a buck.

I've said it before, but I will happily say it again. The publishers are missing out on money by not at least offering some kind of legal alternative to digital comics. Right now, they get nothing while digital versions are available online. At least if they put something out there they'll see some cash from it. Hell, I could envision a few scenarios that would make enough sense for me to buy into them. Besides straight downloads that are priced reasonably, they could have subsciption services like Napster that would let you read all you want. My favorite idea combines print on demand with digital. New issues would release digitally first, then you could have the option of buying the print version. When the orders meet a certain threshold, that exact number of issues is ordered at the POD vendor.

I seriously want DC and Marvel and the other big guys to get this shit together. I'll gladly pay a subscription fee just so I can keep up with the curent stuff and go back and read the old stuff.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought Joe Q said that they'd be talking more about digital comics in 2008. With people getting more and more of their entertainment from online venues, the big two would be pretty stupid not to get in on the action. I just hope that when they do they don't try to do some fancy shit like Marvel has for their current digital comics, with "smart panel" features and that kind of thing. Just give me a nice .jpg with good resolution and I'm all set.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    So I just started reading the first 52 TPB.

I have a question. Is Dibny still superpowered and just choosing not to be a hero or is he depowered?

Also .. Why does the Question go faceless? Is it just his "mask" so to speak, or is there somthing more to it.

1 more thing. Who is the smartest person in the DCU. I think Mr. Terrific is the 2nd but I don't know #1 off the top of my head.

DharmaBum on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I just started reading the first 52 TPB.

I have a question. Is Dibny still superpowered and just choosing not to be a hero or is he depowered?

He only gets stretchy when drinking Gingold, and he returns to normal when the effects wear off. He can choose to have powers or not, and at the beginning of 52 he's just a depressed guy.

JoeUser on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also .. Why does the Question go faceless? Is it just his "mask" so to speak, or is there somthing more to it.

1 more thing. Who is the smartest person in the DCU. I think Mr. Terrific is the 2nd but I don't know #1 off the top of my head.

The Question wears a mask made of "pseudoderm," a fake skin that was originally developed for medicinal purposes.

The smartest person in the DCU is debateable. Terrific is actually the 3rd smartest, and many have speculated that the likes of Professor Magnus, Lex Luthor, Niles Caulder, Brainiac, and many more could be in the running, but until DC has a writer come right out and say who ranks where on the list, we won't know. Just assume that any superscientist character ranks up there, as well as anyone whose only power is being really, really smart.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    Welcome to the moon gentlemen, please say hello to Black Bolt on your way out.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Geebs gets to make a new ASK thread.

He'll be so pleased

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »

The Question wears a mask made of "pseudoderm," a fake skin that was originally developed for medicinal purposes.

The smartest person in the DCU is debateable. Terrific is actually the 3rd smartest, and many have speculated that the likes of Professor Magnus, Lex Luthor, Niles Caulder, Brainiac, and many more could be in the running, but until DC has a writer come right out and say who ranks where on the list, we won't know. Just assume that any superscientist character ranks up there, as well as anyone whose only power is being really, really smart.

The writers say Mr. Terrific is just being modest

Garlic Bread on
  • Crazy Old MoriseCrazy Old Morise Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really liked Invincible Volumes 1 & 2 but Powers Volume 1 didn't grab me. Based only on this information would someone please recommend me a TPB?

Crazy Old Morise on
This discussion has been closed.