As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPad + PC = Cloud computing] Or how to manufacture a need for an iPad

CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm thinking about buying an iPad, but in order to do so, I need to manufacture a need. The only preventing this from coalescating is the fact that I do on occasion require additional processing power for some light programming (like MATLAB, which is a lot less light than the actual programming, strictly speaking). I believe I have a theoretical solution for this however; I use some kind of virtual desktop or something to hook the thing up to my desktop computer (which is running Windows 7 Home Premium), via the internet while I'm not anywhere near home, and have the desktop supply the computing power.

How would I go about doing this? I have access to an iPad so I can basically test the whole process before setting it up live, but I'm not even sure where to start. Somewhere along the way I guess I'll need to tell my router and firewalls to play nice with, well, I don't really know what I want them to play nice with. Anyone have any experience or suggestions to share?

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
Calixtus on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    So you want an iPad exclusively to access your Windows desktop remotely (with the prerequisite that it must actually work)?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    There's a service called logmein - http://www.logmein.com

You install a client on the host machine, and there's an app (I believe it's a paid app though) for the iPad that allows you to connect, and shows the screen of the home PC on the iPad just as if you were there. The only drawback being the app isn't free really, the service is though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EggyToast wrote:
    So you want an iPad exclusively to access your Windows desktop remotely (with the prerequisite that it must actually work)?
    Not exclusively no, this is just the make-it-or-break it criteria that would let it shoulder all the burdens my laptop is carrying and then some. Otherwise I'd still need a laptop and the pricetag is too step on the iPad unless I can make it replace the laptop
    There's a service called logmein - http://www.logmein.com

You install a client on the host machine, and there's an app (I believe it's a paid app though) for the iPad that allows you to connect, and shows the screen of the home PC on the iPad just as if you were there. The only drawback being the app isn't free really, the service is though.
    That seems like it would do everything I'd want, but the price does not lend itself to idle experiementation. Don't suppose anyone has any experience using it?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    There's another app called Go2MyPC that also does this

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    There are several RDP client (Client for remote desktop protocol) or VNC client apps for iOS. Since you're using Home Premium you'll likely need to install a VNC server app (in case you're trying to setup a traditional client-server implementation) or use a service (gotomypc, logmein, or teamviewer).

Since I was setting this up to access work remotely I've only experienced "Desktop Connect" because at the time it was the only Remote Desktop client for iPad that supported NLA. It does the job, but does not translate the touch interface to the 2-button PC mousing interface very well. I'd try out other apps first.

If you decide to forego a service and setup a client-server implementation you'll need to configure your router to forward VNC/RDP communication to the virtual desktop host or make it the DMZ host or create an application publishing rule (different routers call it different things). If you use a service you'll probably not have to do anything to the router as they typically communicate over ports that are allowed by default through routers.

If you're not using for professional reasons (I am) you might look into the free version of TeamViewer as it's free for non-commercial use, and I've heard positive reviews from people using on other platforms.

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    Teamviewer is great and free.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I'll second teamviewer. I've used it for accessing a few things from my desktop, but I don't really have a NEED for that sort of thing and haven't used it much. I would definitely try it out first.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    Teamviewer proved to be almost criminally easy to set up and the short test I did worked great. It was a bit harder than I thought it would be to nmaneuver the pointer, but given that the plan was to get a keyboard + mouse anyway that's not really a problem. I'm still tempted by Logmein for the wake on LAN feature (thinking it might pay for itself in power bills if given enough time), but I havn't really had a chance to explorer if Teamviewer has a similar feature buried somewhere.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to connect a keyboard/mouse to an iPad and then I'll be ready to roll :>

• Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    Another recommendation for TeamViewer, I used to run it from my iPod touch. Also comes in other OS variety flavours just incase you consider looking at Android tablets.

Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    Calixtus wrote:
    Teamviewer proved to be almost criminally easy to set up and the short test I did worked great. It was a bit harder than I thought it would be to nmaneuver the pointer, but given that the plan was to get a keyboard + mouse anyway that's not really a problem. I'm still tempted by Logmein for the wake on LAN feature (thinking it might pay for itself in power bills if given enough time), but I havn't really had a chance to explorer if Teamviewer has a similar feature buried somewhere.

Now I just need to figure out the best way to connect a keyboard/mouse to an iPad and then I'll be ready to roll :>

Bluetooth is the way to connect a keyboard/mouse. I would do some research and find ones that someone else has already confirmed works with the ipad. I'm not sure if just ANY bluetooth keyboard/mouse would sync up correctly.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg