As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rayman Origins: Out on consoles and Vita! 3DS/PC in March!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
YIANz.jpg
Out now for Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation 3, and PS Vita!
PS Vita: February 22nd (EU)
3DS: March 16th (EU), March 20th (NA)
PC: March 29th (No DRM!)

Okay, so for years we've had so many rabbid games that people have forgotten the roots of the original series. Fortunately, Ubisoft hasn't. It was originally going to be an episodic affair, but has now grown to a full retail title. Oh, and did I mention that Michel Ancel is back to look after his baby? Oh yeah, and it's a 2D platformer. Hopefully something there has restored your faith in the series.

But that's not all. The game is using a new tool that allows artwork to be easily put into game and manipulated. The result is something incredibly beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvhwWXF-LfU&feature=relmfu

The game will be available on all three consoles (and 3DS), but I'm going to have to recommend the HD consoles to get the most from this. And, as you saw, it has co-op. Four players!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Js3nXKuErg

It's a system very similar to New Super Mario Brothers Wii, complete with a bubble system for when someone bites it. Here's a decent gameplay video of the co-op in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQX_6ovlPdU

And, as you can see, it won't be a total pushover in terms of challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPpCm1XuDKI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHuhppLIpQ

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Game does look super terrific. I'm most likely going to pick it up on 3DS, gotta beef up that library!

November 15th is a horrible time for this game to come out though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Isn't the 3DS version coming out later? I don't think the 3DS can handle a new Mario, Sonic and Rayman platformer all in one month...

• LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Remember looking at some trailer for this maybe half a year ago and being cautiously optimistic about it. Now that it hits so close to Batman and saints row for pc, I think I will have to wait on this.

I wonder how the 3DS version will be compared to the other ones, is it the same but somewhat lower graphics?

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Those trailers are so god damn charming I wanna hurl. The music is hilarious.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There doesn't seem to be a 3DS date yet.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited October 2011
    Here is the only 3DS media I can find right now.
    XiMbi.jpg
    WqcWN.jpg
    kekKZ.jpg

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Is Mr. Dark the villain again? Everyone seemed to forget Mr. Dark.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Rayman Origins looks super nice, but I haven't kept up with any of the trailers or other details. There hasn't been announced a PC version, has there? I guess I'll have to get the 3DS version if I want to play it.

The game is a prequel, and I think Mr. Dark is in one of the trailers for a brief moment.

YL9WnCY.png
    Those 3DS screens look great. Definitely going to pick this up :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • John BradleyJohn Bradley Registered User regular
    Looks great, and I'll pick it up at some point, but a full-price $60 game..?

I'd have figured they'd introduce it at the $40 level, what with the whole "OMG, it's only 2-d!!!@!@! Haven't played that since PS1 days, amiright?" attitude that I expect we'll be treated to.

• E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    Seeing as how there hasn't been a real Rayman game since Rayman 2, one of my favorite games ever, I'm very much looking forward to this. Michel Ancell's art is so gorgeous...

Love me.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    No, I think that 3 was pretty fantastic. It had all the charm of exploring the crazy world that they live in, and it had some pretty good gameplay. And, I found it rather charming.

Rabbids, though.. They can die in several fires.

• AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    I got to play this at Gamescom, this game is incredibly charming and the art style was fantastic. Co-op play is definitely recommended.

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
    Did anybody else notice that the narrator in the first video is the same lady who narrated the opening to the Lord of the Rings?

Love me.
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Did anybody else notice that the narrator in the first video is the same lady who narrated the opening to the Lord of the Rings?

C-Cate Blanchett?

I am not so certain as you, sir.

I'm not 100% certain either but it sure does sound like her.

Love me.
    I'm not 100% certain either but it sure does sound like her.

I think it's 100.9 percent probable it isn't her but, yeah, it's a great imitation.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I plan on getting this eventually as it is beautiful to look at and I fully support the resurgence of 2D platformers that Nintendo has caused this generation.

But the thread title should really be: "Rayman Origins: Enjoy it while you can, for soon we'll have nothing but Rabbids again!"

I mean seriously, this game is going to tank so very hard and Ubisoft will take that as a "Whelp, we tried, I guess people don't really want Rayman games, they just want Rabbids!"

Then it'll give them even more ammo to not let Ansel work on BG&E2 anymore. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    There is apparently a demo coming out today.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    There is apparently a demo coming out today.

Whaaa?

I'm just simply overjoyed.

Rayman was like my one pure gaming experience on the fucking Jaguar that I loved all the way through.

Rayman 2 was a masterful handling of 3-d platforming when 3d engines were still arguably in the earlier stages of being figured out.

Rayman 3 was...adequate, but needed a whole lot more exploring in it.
    Although it DID have one of the few worthy Gamecube/Gameboy Advance connectivity instances too. The Gamecube side played as a racing game where the player had to collect gems to keep adding time to the clock, while the Gameboy Advance side played a weird, tetris-like game where the player had to add on to the track that was being raced on, out of increasingly odd pieces. Shit was compelling.

I still miss the Rayman 4 that imploded somewhere on the way to Raving Rabbids.

Origins kinda looks a little more 'Ren & Stimpy' than I'd like it to, but it still looks like a wonderful game. I had no idea it would be out so soon. And I had no idea it would have a demo.

Linespider5 on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    The demo came out on PSN yesterday. I haven't tried it yet.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    rayman was one of the first PS1 games i had and i loved that shit. in fact, i would reload the level where you rode those fly/mosquito things like a billion times because it was so freaking cool. i had it on rental for so long at blockbuster i paid for (and by i mean my dad) the game in full and just kept it.
    i look forward to getting this at some point, glad they are tossing out the demo so i can get nostalgic for a bit.

edited November 2011
    Downloading the demo now.

EDIT:

This is a wonderful game. Lots of little touches are back, like the dancing mushrooms that stack up and fall over, and some of the old enemies too. The purple guys that fire guns at you from the original Rayman are back! You're finding chained up cages and freeing the protons again, and the big gold medallion swings down and fills with each success, just like it used to.

There's no whacky face attack, and the flying rings you used to grab to swing on now reach out and grab YOU, which is a little odd, but that's about it for changes. When you jump, your attack turns into a kick. There's lots of amazing little touches with the animation that interact with the background.

It's also shamelessly ridiculous. I haven't even finished the demo yet, but I may be close. Currently Rayman is swimming through some kind of Busby Berkeley sequence full of choreographed jellyfish that are singing delightful nonsense in an old timey, twenties kind of way. I also found a secret room that would seem to be a parody of Angry Birds.

Oh, and you get to ride Moskito again!

Linespider5 on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Gonna have to d/l this right now

fragglefart.jpg
    edited November 2011
    The game does look super awesome but there's too much coming out right now to justify it at 60$.

And I hate myself for saying that.

Magic Pink on
    Magic Pink wrote:
    The game does look super awesome but there's too much coming out right now to justify it at 60$.

And I hate myself for saying that.

Just get the demo. Have a look. And, I mean, hell. If you've got any trade potential, this is a great place to consider it.

edited November 2011
    Holy hell, the demo is sheer joy. I'm getting this right the fuck now. This came out SO at the wrong time; it's going to be overshadowed by so many other games that, from what I can see, it's much much better than. Also snagging Disney Universe which is super goofy fun along the lines of the LEGO games.

Magic Pink on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    this game seems destined to fail as a full retail title releasing when it is. the demo was fun though.

There is a tiny part of me that likes to think that this game might not have had as huge an overhead as a more traditional title. Hell, it was originally gonna be a download only, episodic thing ala Sonic 4, but Ubisoft decided to bring it retail. Whether or not that had to do with the disappearance of Sonic 4 from fucking everywhere, or what, I read the decision more as a mark of confidence.

I guess what I'm out to say is maybe this title won't need to sell as much to succeed. The 'Ubi Art Framework' bit of the wiki on it is intriguing:
    "The game is the first title to use UbiArt Framework. These development tools allow artists to easily create content and then use it in an interactive environment. The artists only have to pose the model and edit the silhouette - UbiArt software takes care of image distortion automatically. The main aim of this engine is to allow artists and designers focus on the art itself, without having to worry about technical aspects of game development.[6] According to Yves Guillemot, only five people were working on the game when it was first announced.[16] Ubisoft has acquired a financial subvention from French government dedicated to supporting art for developing UbiArt tools.[6]"

Regardless of how this plays out I have a feeling this is gonna lead to bigger things given the unique 2d tech behind it.

I would like a PC version, as playing it on Wii seems like an injustice.

YL9WnCY.png
    Some extra info:

The demos each unlock a special costume for the full game if you find all the Electoons in them: a blue leopard spotted thing for Rayman on the 360 and a red Globbox one on the PS3.

And Amazon has a 48 page hardcover artbook as a pre-order bonus.

Magic Pink wrote:
    And Amazon has a 48 page hardcover artbook as a pre-order bonus.

Awwwww man!

I would preorder this right now on Amazon... If I didn't just buy MGSHD, and Skyrim and SR3 both waiting to hit my debit card...

:(:(:(

I have eight games coming next week and I STILL bought it.

I guess I'm just more man then you. <3

Well, why don't you buy it for me then?

Mr. Moneybags!

Because I have eight games coming out next week. :cry:

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I would like a PC version, as playing it on Wii seems like an injustice.
    This. PC version. Nowwww, Ubisoft

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Because I have eight games coming out next week. :cry:

Selfish

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm a PC player now. :(

But wait! I rock a Dsi XL :!:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Rayman was like my one pure gaming experience on the fucking Jaguar that I loved all the way through.

Yes! I got my first taste of Rayman on the Jaguar too =) Good stuffs there.