As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How hard is it to swap out the PSU?

RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from spaceSwedenRegistered User regular
I would like to upgrade to a more powerful PSU, but it's something I've never done before and I'm wondering how hard it is (:winky:) and if there are any particular pitfalls I should be wary of? I have previously replaced RAM, removed old cards and added new ones, fitted new hard drives, and optical drives, but that's the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid.

Any advice for me?

steam_sig.png
Roshin on

• IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    If you have previously dug around inside your computer to replace components this is very similar. Just be aware of the correct connectors you need to plug into your motherboard (all current PSUs should come with the correct adapters). Also watch out where cables run and how your HDs plug in (ie make sure you have enough SATA power ends on it)

Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It's not complicated, but it's a lot of work.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Swapping your PSU is really just a matter of removing whatever's plugged in, swapping the new PSU in, then plugging your new PSUs connectors back into whatever needs to be powered. In terms of actually working inside the PC, it's probably one of the more work-intensive hardware swaps. In terms of dealing with/troubleshooting issues in the actual use of the PC, it's relatively simple compared to other swaps/upgrades/changes, as there's no software or driver issues to worry about.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    After spending the last god knows how many hours with my head stuck in my shitty PC case with my reliable, but not ideal PSU, let me just recommend paying the premium for a modular PSU should you upgrade.

So many damn cables that aren't ever going to be used are just wasted space and with PSU cables extra ones become massive headaches really fast if you're trying to keep some semblance of order in your case. If I had the extra cash right now I'd shell out for a new PSU and case in a heartbeat just for organization and customization.

But yeah, changing out a PSU isn't hard. It is just so time consuming. Unless you just don't give a shit about cleanliness and order, then it'd be pretty fast.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand