As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Thursday Oct. 27, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited October 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-zTpWDPQ.jpg
QA Engineer

10/27/2011 - Anonymous

This is short. But it’s important.

I spent a lot of time doing regular QA, but QA Engineers have it far worse.

It’s like being a regular engineer but you never bring the managers anything but bad news. Regular QA hates you because you’re an engineer, development engineers hate you because you’re not only telling them what’s broke, but also why.

It’s one of those situations where if you do your job TOO well you’re liable to get shit-canned.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This is my favorite Trenches comic.

Probably because it's the one that most resembles a PA comic.

JAEF on
  • Options
    OolongOolong Registered User regular
    Holy God are there still BBSes?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    For someone in their first week at a new job that guy certainly curses a lot...I like the rocket horse though.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    There are still BBSs you can telnet into to play muds and such.

I was reading this and I got to "sysop" and had one of those moments where you suddenly remember something exists that you knew intimately at one point in your life but then for some reason or another you completely forgot it ever existed. As soon as I saw "sysop" all that knowledge came flooding back to me from some long forgotten landfill in my mind.

I used to spend so much time on my local isp's BBS. t-lord, majorMUD, and all the others I can't remember now. Something to do with space and trading. That was all 17 years ago.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Starfurs?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Isaac is quickly burning through his benefits of the doubt and rapidly looking to actually be a huge Cox.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This comic was great. But the tales from the trenches? That wasn't a tale, that was a description of a job. My least favorite so far. They must really be running low on stories. I almost just want to make something up for them, do them a favor so they don't ever post something like this again.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oolong wrote:
    Holy God are there still BBSes?

I echo this sentiment.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    So Q, Lawstar fan extraordinaire, is the (a?) test lead for a Lawstar game. Doesn't that pretty much make this one of his dream jobs?

• Options
    rabidmuskratrabidmuskrat Registered User regular
    I need that rocket horse.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm not sure they are testing a Lawstar game. I could be wrong, but I read the previous comic as Q logging on to to authorise Isaac's machine and that being his desktop wallpaper.

Some icons or whatever would have helped back up my theory.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    We still don't know if it's a Lawstar game or just an image

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I'm not sure they are testing a Lawstar game. I could be wrong, but I read the previous comic as Q logging on to to authorise Isaac's machine and that being his desktop wallpaper.

Some icons or whatever would have helped back up my theory.
    It being Isaac's machine, I would lean toward it being the game they're testing, but you guys are right, we can't be sure yet.

• Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    Isaac is such a jerk.

• Options
    PalpatimPalpatim Registered User new member
    Is it just me, or does that appear to be a Firefly-class rocket horse?

http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/tv_movies/serenity/7080_serenity_sci-fi.jpg

• Options
    GralikGralik Registered User regular
    Palpatim wrote:
    Is it just me, or does that appear to be a Firefly-class rocket horse?

http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/tv_movies/serenity/7080_serenity_sci-fi.jpg

I tell you what. You buy this horse, treat her proper, she'll be with you for the rest of your life.
    I probably horribly mangled that.

Trade Wars 2002. That and the text based Legend of Kyrandia.
    All that I remember from the BBS I used to dial into.

• Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    This is the first trenches comic to actually make me laugh, well done.

Hope we continue to go up from here.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I still log into a MUD everyday.

Though, we don't have any players. It's just the admins.

We chit chat while we're at work. So, it's more like a chat room with 3 people in it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wonder if Q will forever remain the antagonist in Trenches.

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I wonder if Q will forever remain the antagonist in Trenches.

I think Isaac is pretty much his own antagonist.

• Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    TW2002, LoRD, Usurper, Barren Realms Elite... good times. I actually paid for a license for TW2002 just so I could play it solo and see all the fancy ships and stuff without having to wait for turns every day. Pretty sure I did the same with with LoRD, come to think of it. Lots of setting the system clock forward a day and running the daily maintenance cron jobs to keep stuff moving.

• Options
    MaigaardMaigaard Registered User regular
    What are all these words? M.U.D.? BBS?? They must stem from a different age than I.
    Also, good stuff.

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Bulletin Board System and Multi User Dungeon respectively. They herald from a primordial internet replete with wailing ghasts and primitive memetic phenomena.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Personface wrote:
    Bulletin Board System and Multi User Dungeon respectively. They herald from a primordial internet replete with wailing ghasts and primitive memetic phenomena.

BBSs were single celled internets that you had to call up on the phone.

Not like dial-up, mind you. You called them, they answered, and then everyone else got a busy signal until you hung up.

And we liked it!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Two things:

1. I want a model rocket horse.

2. We have hit rock bottom on the tales stories just one installment after my favorite one so far.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This is almost like opposite day: The first really good comic combined with the first boring and uninteresting story. It's like bizarro world all up in here.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I know they have more stories

None of mine have appeared yet

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    rockmonkey wrote:
    I was reading this and I got to "sysop" and had one of those moments where you suddenly remember something exists that you knew intimately at one point in your life but then for some reason or another you completely forgot it ever existed. As soon as I saw "sysop" all that knowledge came flooding back to me from some long forgotten landfill in my mind.

^This. OMG this.

MUD denizens are scary... furries are scary... a furry MUD makes my brain break.

I would also like to echo the popular sentiment about the rocket horse (doubly Firefly) and that this is the first Trenches that has made me laugh out loud.

Ashoka on
    WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    JAEF wrote:
    This is my favorite Trenches comic.

Probably because it's the one that most resembles a PA comic.

The ones that resemble PA comics are definitely better than the ones that have resembled PVP comics.

As much as I like Scott in his show and the Blamimations (which are indeed, both very funny), his comic leaves a lot to be desired for me. I think its that he tends to do his best work when collaborating as opposed to working solo . . . I dunno. Of course I also recognize that PVP is still much better than most other online comics out there, like Ctrl Alt Del.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    To elaborate though, I value humor via quick setup + punchline and a certain amount of absurdity in my comics a lot more than continuity, so there is also that. Trenches up until now seems to be a nice combination of both worlds, so I'm digging it so far.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Ah, crappy cartoons from the 80's hearkens me back to Saber Rider. Sittin' round in my onesie, with a bowl of Fruity Tooties, watching Saber Rider save the same day from those asshole vapor beings on his sweet robohorse over and over because all we had were the two VHS'. Them was the days.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I wonder if being a furry will become a permanent character trait for him.

If so, bold move. Bold, scary move.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Lawstar? I read it as "Lolistar"

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    jwalk wrote:

You wouldn't want to go to that BBS at work.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    jwalk wrote:

I keep reading it as "Lawlstar".

And the first time I saw the MUD name I did a double-take, thinking it read "Starfuckers"

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    the Professorthe Professor PONY ROMNEY DOES NOT CARE PONY ROMNEY WILL CUT YOUR FUNDINGRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:
    jwalk wrote:

I keep reading it as "Lawlstar".

And the first time I saw the MUD name I did a double-take, thinking it read "Starfuckers"

Starfuckers inc.