As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need me some winter boots

13»

• tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    pooka wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    Ubik wrote:
    uggs
    Are fucking terrible.

Laying down some cold hard facts here.
    no no this is untrue. Uggs are excellent for wearing around your house when it's cold.
    Like if you went to the club with a blanket wrapped around you like a cloak then you would be a tool. But doing so while you eat porridge on your couch on a sunday morning is just a-ok.

i have seen Uggs worn at a club. multiple pairs, even. they were also wearing shorts. ...i just... gah!

Seasonally inappropriate footwear is troubling. If you are comfortable in a mini-skirt and bare legs, you should not also be comfortable in sherpa-lined boots. Whenever I see this, I can only think, "your feet are so sweaty right now! why??" I feel an opposite sadness for pitiful cold feet in flip flops when their owner is wearing a huge coat. It makes no sense!

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    pooka wrote:
    #pipe wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:
    Ubik wrote:
    uggs
    Are fucking terrible.

Laying down some cold hard facts here.
    no no this is untrue. Uggs are excellent for wearing around your house when it's cold.
    Like if you went to the club with a blanket wrapped around you like a cloak then you would be a tool. But doing so while you eat porridge on your couch on a sunday morning is just a-ok.
    i have seen Uggs worn at a club. multiple pairs, even. they were also wearing shorts. ...i just... gah!
    Seasonally inappropriate footwear is troubling. If you are comfortable in a mini-skirt and bare legs, you should not also be comfortable in sherpa-lined boots. Whenever I see this, I can only think, "your feet are so sweaty right now! why??" I feel an opposite sadness for pitiful cold feet in flip flops when their owner is wearing a huge coat. It makes no sense!
    to be fair, i've found it easier to be comfortable if i dress really warmly up top, and with fewer layers on bottom; so, sweater on top, tights and skirt and boots on bottom. dunno, guess i just don't crank out as much heat in my upper half, which doesn't make a lick of sense -- stupid broken internal temperature regulator. anyway, it's the uggs at a dance club that gets to me -- how you gon' dance in that? i am scandalized by their choice of fashion (questionable to begin with!) over utility.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    How about the other way around tasty? Would it bug you to see me wearing a heavy coat and shoveling snow out of my driveway while wearing sandals?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    Ha, that is pretty much my cold weather uniform. I am almost always in a skirt or dress with tights, sweater, and boots. I meant, at my college in the south, there would be loads of sorority girls wearing Uggs with jean shorts and a tank top in 100 degree August humidity. Gross.

BYToady wrote:
    How about the other way around tasty? Would it bug you to see me wearing a heavy coat and shoveling snow out of my driveway while wearing sandals?

It wouldn't bug me so much as make me worry for those poor toes and want to warm them up with some nice socks and a blankie, maybe some cocoa for good measure. Is that a mom thing? Idk.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Bought a pair of these last week for wearing in the office:

bacco-bucci-selanne-darkbrown-orig.jpg

I really like Bacco Bucci

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    My poor toes need a good mother. This winter when they finally freeze off I will mail them to you.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • zellychanzellychan Registered User regular
    Moccasins and more moccasins. Fuzzy insides are waterproof outsides are a plus.
    Plus they're moccasins, so you can be all sneaky and not make any noise. I sneak to get the mail every morning.

"I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
    BYToady wrote:
    My poor toes need a good mother. This winter when they finally freeze off I will mail them to you.

I hope the journey won't be too difficult for them. I will raise them as my own!

Homeward Bound: These little piggies went whee whee whee

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Homeward Bound makes me cry :(

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    If you live anywhere near Maine buying boots from L.L. Bean is a great idea. Anytime you want, for whatever reason you want, you can return them and get a new pair.

Like, 10 years later when they have holes in them and they don't even make that kind of boot anymore.

Return them and get a pair of whatever they replaced them with.

You're pretty much buying a pair of boots for the rest of your life.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What I want to wear are the sort of boots that like, superheroes wear
    But I don't know where you'd buy those for less than $Texas

• GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    I really want these boots:
    835.jpg

sierracrest.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shire_W94147GTBT.JPG

Most comfortable boots I've ever owned

goretex, "steel toed" but with no metal in them at all, warm as fuck, waterproof up to that little divet thingy near the ankle

bit pricey though

Al_wat on
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I've got a pair of Red Wings that I got when I started at FedEx. Composite caps in the toes, waterproof, sturdy, warm. They're awesome. I wear them more than my sneakers now.

At a hundred and sixty bucks though they goddamn well better be awesome.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    I've got a pair of Red Wings that I got when I started at FedEx.

Dude

gross

What did I say

I only started at FedEx like...a month and a half ago? It's not like they're soaked in the sweat of a hundred years

Oh

Well I had a pair of those too because I am all about pleasing the ladies

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    red wings.
    slang for oral sex on a menstruating lady.

more like, slowPooka.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    Buttlord wrote:
    I've got a pair of Red Wings that I got when I started at FedEx. Composite caps in the toes, waterproof, sturdy, warm. They're awesome. I wear them more than my sneakers now.

At a hundred and sixty bucks though they goddamn well better be awesome.

My metatarsal Red Wings are the most comfortable work boot I've ever owned and I've had quite a few. And I bought the "Worx" line which is their lower end.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited October 2011
    I think mine are like middle of the road. They're so nice, especially for not being at all fancy. None of that metatarsal flap shit or anything, just composite caps. That was the big thing I wanted, I didn't want to break my foot in a truck.

Then a week later they moved me to handling the smallest shit in the building so now they just keep my feet warm/protect my toes from falling conduit doing electrical.

Buttlord on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    In reality though I don't do enough work to necessitate work boots

Metatarsal guards are required at a lot of the plants and mills I visit but the external guards are barely noticeable.

What are the metatarsals, just extended caps that cover most of the foot, plus the flap to keep sparks out?

• Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    In other news my ear is bleeding.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    tumblr_lq2v5n6eKs1qcuu5yo2_500.jpg

My dad still thinks this is a real thing.

sig2.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote:
    If you live anywhere near Maine buying boots from L.L. Bean is a great idea. Anytime you want, for whatever reason you want, you can return them and get a new pair.

Like, 10 years later when they have holes in them and they don't even make that kind of boot anymore.

I bought a pair of LL Bean boots, I think they are Maine Hunting Shoes (they are boots), about six years ago. They aren't lined, so I can wear them all year. They keep my feet dry, and there is enough room to wear heavy socks. I love them.

I should get some sort of lined boots sooner or later.

Buttlord wrote:
    What are the metatarsals, just extended caps that cover most of the foot, plus the flap to keep sparks out?

Yeah metatarsal guards cover the top of the foot over the laces like so:

187490_366_45.jpg

Doesn't have much to do with sparks as it does heavy falling objects. Steel toes protect you in the event you kick something really solid but not so much if something heavy drops on top of your foot.

Oh a'ight that makes sense

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    crwth wrote:
    winter boobs

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I wore my sweater dress this week and got a bunch of compliments. Felt good 8-)
    It's my new favorite thing to wear
    Gotta get used to the boots though. My calves are still a bit sore.

• Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I love my combat boots so much

they make a very satisfying noise when I walk

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2011
    SLyM wrote:

See, I bought a pair of boots from LL Bean years ago, because I figured with that kind of lifetime guarantee, they'd be sure to last for decades.

Turns out they actually expect you to just replace them when they get holes, and I live on the opposite side of the world, so.
    Were still pretty nice boots though.

edit: also I bought a new pair of boots just this last weekend, not because i needed them but because I thought they looked cool and they were pretty cheap. It was a good decision.

tynic on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    as far as winter boots, everyone around here seems to swear by sorel.

I have a pair of Sorels for trompin' boots and they are indeed quite warm and useful.

I also bought these last Saturday, which are nice because they're comfortable and don't make my stupid ankle do stupid ankle things like rolling and paining and etc.

Aldos are stupid expensive here...

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote:
    Wren wrote:
    tumblr_lq2v5n6eKs1qcuu5yo2_500.jpg

My dad still thinks this is a real thing.

wait, it's not? :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig