As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Space Australia: GAME. SET. MATCH.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I say H1. We want to expand to that colony, yes, but I think we need some better tech before we do that. Better communication means faster response, less risk, all that.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Funglate! For all your food need! Eat Funglate! With fun! and Elation!*

WARNING! Funglate is a unsafe food product, do not cosume without medical assistance, the leaders of the empire are not responsible health of people eating this food material! May cause, death, infections and unfortunate accidents infront of your loved ones

steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I1

For the love of a god people, we need more electricity so we can have some proper labs. How are you gonna drive all that fancy communications gear without power? A Sparky can turn anything into a comm system.

electricitylikesme on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    This is pretty heavily split on the voting (except the pretty heavy skew towards not deploying troops)

We've got A(exploring the crash) and G(Rover research) tied with three votes. H(Communications research) and F(Drug research) following at two each and even a single I(Solar research) vote.

It's a lot of votes, but I'll hang on. If the tie persists for another couple hours I'll flip a coin to choose A or G.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    A4 - 2

Ties can go to hell.

• CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    A4 - 2 to make things more definitive.

I think another farm to begin addressing the food/morale problem should be on the table next.

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Hey everybody, look at me, I'm shilling!

I just wanted to let everybody know who was in the last game in SE++ that I'm going to be taking over the game. In fact I've made a new update post (and I think I'm going to make a summary post to catch everybody up cause it was dormant for so long). So come on downnnnnn, the more people playing the more fun it is.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hurray, a clear majority emerges. And that means, we need to have a little sub-turn.

Turn 5.5

Decision: A(4) -2 Set out an expedition toward the crash site. Don't deploy a squad to patrol hex 1.

Summary
    The team of hundred explorers sent out again, this time aiming to cross the hills and ascend into the rockier heights in search of the downed pod. Communication blackout remained and so it would be a tense wait to see how many of the hundred returned. If any at all.

Back at home they'd decided against having a team travel to the foothills to keep a watch out, the explorers walked alone with only their own maps for guidance. It doesn't take long before it becomes clear that none of the maps are very well made, that or the ground had subtly reformed itself since their previous expedition.

The rocky ground is easier going than the reddish sand around the crashed colony pod and the farm ( or New Botany Bay as most of the colonists were calling it). A discussion about the noticeable difference in vegetation and which of the new species might be delicious was cut off by Jimmy the Snitches loud exclamation. He was standing at the edge of a large crater and pointing at something. It was another colony pod. Or at least, it had been a colony pod. This one had landed even worse than Pod Six, possibly the thrusters had failed entirely, or no brave engineer had sacrificed herself to try and land the thing.

There are several large cracks in the hull, and no signs of any survivors. It would not be too surprising if everybody had died on impact. One of the armed milita raised an arm, demanding that the explorers wait a minute before rushing down. Setting down his backpack and unfolding it, he revealed the bulky environmental scanner from their own pod. A few taps and there's a loud crackling sound. Radiation. And a hell of a lot of it. The reactor inside must have been damaged.

There's another shout and viewfinders start getting handed about. Despite the damage it was possible to read the designation painted on several parts of the buckled hull. Pod 8. The President Palin had had six pods. Or at least, that is what everybody had been told. In fact, nobody had really seen the ship prior to being placed in stasis for the journey. There was a secret pod. No, there were at least two secret pods. If this was eight, then there had to be a seven out there somewhere. What the hell was in those pods?

Despite the intrigue, there are deadly levels of radiation and the thin overalls are only designed to stop skin exposure rather than offer any amount of protection.

What will the explorers do!?

A - Return to New Botany Bay [better to let the others know than risk everybody dying and try to come up with a way to avoid the deadly radiation]
    B - Send a few "volunteers" in [Difficulty 13, negligible deaths from the radiation, but limited salvage/exploration]
    C - Send in everybody [Difficulty 11, the hundred will die from the radiation ,but they should make it home first and they'll be able to carry more stuff and explore more thoroughly]

(Trying to send in half the men would just cause an outbreak of violence as everybody tries to get on team "not going to die an agonising death")

• Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    A

This Pod 8 isnt going anywhere and this is something the whole group needs to know about.

B

What if some other group takes it before us! I cannot risk it!

steam_sig.png
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    C, its better then going back for more tooth and eye soup in a living grave, lets go out with a bang men!

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    B - volunteers

I'm sure we have a undesirables in the explorations party (politicians, bankers...scum).

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    B

I want to know what they were hiding in these secret pods...

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Anything they bring back is likely to be irradiated and therefore useless until we can set u some sort of legitimate decontamination program.

A

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    B, assuming we can probably come back for the rest of the stuff later.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    A

Jimmy the Snitch might get pushed in first, but since he expects to die of something horrible and alien anyway he's practically hoping he will. Let's be careful.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    A

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    A

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    We must know. The good of the many, etc. B

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    A

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Man, what kind of pansies did they send out to Space Australia. Not wanting people to die for your own benifit? That's crazy talk!

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    A. Deadly radiation is not worth the risk.

Also, our dudes are out in overalls? Didn't we have environmental suits or something, or was it not needed once we learned more about the fungus?

And whoo, intrigue! Mysterious extra pods... sounds like we may want to get started on shiv technology sooner than later. Just in case.

edited October 2011
    The suits are pretty much a mask, air tank and a little doodad to stop you freezing to death worn with a striking all in one body suit. You tweaked them a bit to stop the fungus clogging up the systems. Fine for short trips like now, but not useful at all against radiation.

They're not big advanced spacesuits or anything, but you're not just out in dungarees either.

Mojo_Jojo on
    What the hell, this is not how things get done!

C

@hoodiethirteen
    oh wait, could we come back and explore later with some advanced suit tech?

@hoodiethirteen
    hoodie13 wrote:
    oh wait, could we come back and explore later with some advanced suit tech?

But I wanna explore it noooow.

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Let's fix the comm, build rovers, make radiation suits, then come back.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    A

Cayrus wrote:

Your usage of "Common sense" does not work here! This is space australia! We do things with gut feelings and a solid grasp on our balls!

steam_sig.png
    Cayrus wrote:

I'm just waiting for Lady Deirdre to come along and poach our rightfully earned goodie box.

And then I can say "I TOLD YOU SO!"

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Pod 8 is probably filled with surplus copies of President Palin's email correspondences and cell phone usages. Or unsold copies of her book.

There's probably another dozen secret pods if either is the case.

Pod 8 is probably filled with surplus copies of President Palin's email correspondences and cell phone usages. Or unsold copies of her book.

We can use it to split the other pod people to argue wheter she's a "good ol' pod mother citizen" or if she's "a crazy person who's overrated".
    Divide et impera.

steam_sig.png
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    C
    Why did we choose extra people if not to use them? The exploration could help everyone, and irradiation will ensure that their corpses are microbe free!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    A

I dont need no honkies gettin RADsick all over my new living space.

• freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    B

Let's get an idea of what's in there. Then we know whether to prioritize getting safer tech or coming up with more "volunteers" to get this thing cleared out quick.

freakish light on
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    A We can figure out a way to get inside later.

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    C, is there really any other option?

Hell, if we lose some people, we probably will have to consume less food and can go back to full rations soon!

Actually, to make the vote clearer,

B

C

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    A I don't see why we care about a destroyed pod, over individuals.

VayBJ4e.png