As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

• LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TexiKen wrote:
    Andrea and Rick, knocking boots. And please don't make Abraham turn evil because of that harlot talking nonsense to him about being a better leader, Glenn and Abraham need to stay alive.
    Spoilers regarding 90, speculation regarding future, spoilers regarding approximately issue 46 or 48:
    I highly doubt they would do that with Abraham. He realized what a shitty leader he was, remember? He makes a much better soldier (or foreman I guess) than a leader. Kirkman has been leading into Rick/Andrea for awhile. I think there's a good chance of Glenn biting it.

I wonder who will be the most damaged human being by adulthood, Sophia or Carl? Ugh, anything regarding the kids in this book just fouls my mood. It actually affects me physically even. Never would've happened before I became a dad. I had to take a long hiatus from the series after Lori and the baby died.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Luq wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:
    Andrea and Rick, knocking boots. And please don't make Abraham turn evil because of that harlot talking nonsense to him about being a better leader, Glenn and Abraham need to stay alive.
    Spoilers regarding 90, speculation regarding future, spoilers regarding approximately issue 46 or 48:
    I highly doubt they would do that with Abraham. He realized what a shitty leader he was, remember? He makes a much better soldier (or foreman I guess) than a leader. Kirkman has been leading into Rick/Andrea for awhile. I think there's a good chance of Glenn biting it.

I wonder who will be the most damaged human being by adulthood, Sophia or Carl? Ugh, anything regarding the kids in this book just fouls my mood. It actually affects me physically even. Never would've happened before I became a dad. I had to take a long hiatus from the series after Lori and the baby died.
    like physically damaged or mentally?

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    I'm wanting to start reading the comics and I'm wondering if anyone has picked up the The Walking Dead: Compendium One, it's the first 8 volumes and 30 dollars seems like a better deal than spending 10 dollars each volume. But then again the collector in me wouldn't mind having seperate TPs....

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The experience of reading the compendium is terrible. It's too small in terms of page size and too big in terms of page count. If you're looking to read for the experience you should opt for the trades/hard covers. If it's all about just getting the information of the plot down then go for the compendium.

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Thanks I think I might go for the Hard Covers as they come with some bonus material apparently, and I could probably pick them up from B&N on my way to work.

• LuqLuq Registered User regular
    Luq wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

I meant the human condition as a whole. They're both missing important pieces, some more tangible than others.

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I had never read the comics until recently...I watched the first season of the TV show and really liked it. so i decided to pick up the first 50 issue trade paperback.

I gotta say that after reading that, and even knowing the TV show is not exactly following the series, I cant bring myself to watch season two. It's like watching the titanic movie...you know the boats going to crash, and you know that pretty much nothing but bad things are going to happen to the cast in season two heh.
    Its just too depressing.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    The show barely follows the comic at all though, it's actually nice to watch the divergent timeline. Like having Spider-man and Ultimate Spider-man. Same premise, different storylines.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    any chance that's going to be the comic version of Daryl?

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    any chance that's going to be the comic version of Daryl?

Hadn't considered that but i'm hoping so.
    If anybody can save this series from the rut its mindlessly shambling around with in it's Daryl. Also while i get that Carl is meant to be all hurt and lashing out at Rick but "you don't know what it's like!" Really?

If he'd been talking to absolutely anybody else that would have been vaguely sensible, but Rick is the one person who can just roll up his sleave and having a comeback.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    The show barely follows the comic at all though, it's actually nice to watch the divergent timeline. Like having Spider-man and Ultimate Spider-man. Same premise, different storylines.

This a hundred times. I've got a bunch of friends that were wary about the show being so separate from the comics, but I think it's done a fantastic job of following the general plot, while making some new stories.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Luq wrote:
    Luq wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

I meant the human condition as a whole. They're both missing important pieces, some more tangible than others.

This interests me a lot, actually.
    I recently got into the comics because I had the opportunity for access to them all and devoured the 7 years worth of issues (wow) very quickly.
    I noticed that they put in a mailbag and I started reading Kirkman's editorials and a few of the letters before the zealous fanboism of them led me to move on to the next issue, but one thing I did notice in regards to the visceral reaction a LOT of mail writers seemed to experience from certain events:
    The funny thing is, they pretty much all say they are fine with Lori and the baby's death, probably because of the lack of intense focus, but when Carl was shot in the face, a whole lot of mail writers claimed to be done with the series as they felt it was just too much for them, and they act like they have actually been indulging the creative whims of a sick-minded comic book writer for too long. One such writer apparently owns a comic book store so he has regular access to the books from work, and after the issue about Carl, he had to 'stop off at the liquor store on the way home'.

I thought to myself, 'what the fuck, seriously? a liquor store over a comic event? What kind of idiot takes it that seriously that is actually puts them in a depression, or makes them swear off an entire comic which never made any illusion that anyone was safe whatsoever.'

I get it now.

Parents.

Also it's so weird reading up on this thread, now that I can actually talk or read about the comic series. Something that I read no more than yesterday, was discussed here in April, not to mention what would have been discussed a year ago or more. I feel like I'm reading ancient history, being late to the party like this. Them's the breaks with monthly issues eh.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    Really dug the reveal with #92
    this is what I want to read about in the book now to establish a new layer to a zombie apocalypse, the formation of communities and trying to establish trade routes. I just really like the idea that not everyone is the Governor and thinking the best way to live is to completely isolate yourselves when there's nothing left.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya , I was getting tired of the whole, if they aren't with us, they MUST be cannibal rape crazed fringe humanity!
    (Altho that's become a general beef for me with most apocalyptic stories lately, but it's a whole different tangent)

Seeing
    some communities pop up/trade routes/etc is gonna be fun, and I hope it doesn't turn to "Omg we trade babies , or something". I'd love to see them move into a new phase, of humanity rebuilding , reestablishing it's place in a new zombied world.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Ya , I was getting tired of the whole, if they aren't with us, they MUST be cannibal rape crazed fringe humanity!
    (Altho that's become a general beef for me with most apocalyptic stories lately, but it's a whole different tangent)

Seeing
    some communities pop up/trade routes/etc is gonna be fun, and I hope it doesn't turn to "Omg we trade babies , or something". I'd love to see them move into a new phase, of humanity rebuilding , reestablishing it's place in a new zombied world.

Yep. There's so much stuff worth exploring that can make the series really work beyond a gore fest
    we have seen the zombies basically withering away after roughly a year since the outbreak, and it would be really interesting to see a world kind of getting back on its feet, as the potential to salvage something close to a city only after a year seems pretty plausible, but now with the added problem that when you die, you instantly become a hazard to people around you. Get in a car wreck, someone dies, instant problem. Someone dies of a heart attack at work, that's as bad as someone brandishing a gun. That's the kind of stuff I would love to see in maybe the last issue of the series, after a time skip similar to Y The Last Man.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh man, Tex, that puts an entire new level of fear into the concept of
    Old Folk's Home's! (/shudder)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I agree. The new direction is very exciting.

This thread is always so dead and it makes me angry because the comic is a million times better than the show. Shit, the show thread has more discussion of the comic than this thread.

So, who's ready for;
    Rick's group to become the evil people that try to overtake the new town? Eh? Eh?

Also, a few (15 or so) issues back they commented that some of the zombies were losing the ability to even attack, are they going to stick with that or kind of brush it off?

This thread is always so dead and it makes me angry because the comic is a million times better than the show. Shit, the show thread has more discussion of the comic than this thread.

So, who's ready for;
    Rick's group to become the evil people that try to overtake the new town? Eh? Eh?

Also, a few (15 or so) issues back they commented that some of the zombies were losing the ability to even attack, are they going to stick with that or kind of brush it off?

I do hope they keep the idea going that
    Jesus is a nice guy, and it's not an act. Keep playing it straight and none of the usual conventions of double crossing, because establishing that the Hilltop is ready to work together would add more depth to Rick having to choose between who is good and who is bad, as opposed to being the default everyone is bad mode.

And a hilltop location is a smart idea, zombies roll downhill, it's liek Donkey Kong

edited March 2012
    I'm wondering if the upcoming "Something To Fear" arc is meant to be a red herring. Obviously we're supposed to think the gang will have reason to fear the new community but I'm thinking it will be more along the lines of "now that we have something good, we have something to fear". ie: losing that something.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if the upcoming "Something To Fear" arc is meant to be a red herring. Obviously we're supposed to think the gang will have reason to fear the new community but I'm thinking it will be more along the lines of "now that we have something good, we have something to fear". ie: losing that something.

That is an amazing thought right there.

(speculation after seeing Something To Fear covers/preview art thingy)
    After seeing the two covers for those issues, I figured it was like Governor 2.0. One guy has a friggin axe and another is almost like the chainsaw bad guy from Resident Evil 4. Reading the written in questions at the end of the issues, they responded by saying it would be something big like issue 50 and 75 (or somewhere around there dealing with the Governor). So, with that said, who knows what is coming. Maybe they have to deal with murders in one of the towns and Rick goes on a detective spree!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Maybe Rick's group becomes the group to fear?

• Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    My expectation is
    "Something to Fear" will be due to an ongoing conflict between Hilltop and another group of survivors. Alexandria is thrown into the mix and forced to fight against the other group. Some of our survivors, maybe Abraham, decide to side with the other group. Daryl will probably turncoat and join Rick's group, because I doubt Kirkman would make him an ongoing villain.

No matter what, I'm hoping he makes this arc as fast-paced as "Made to Suffer." We haven't had an arc so action packed in awhile. Even "No Way Out" seemed to be spinning wheels between beats.

Those Days Different.
    Awesome cover for TWD 100. Spoilers in it as it depicts every character ever killed.

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Awesome cover for TWD 100. Spoilers in it as it depicts every character ever killed.

That's really awesome.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I've been reading my Walking Dead Compendium that I got the other week, a thousand plus pages of TWD bliss. Can't wait until they make another, anyways got a few thoughts since it's been a few years since I read a lot of this and with the TV show having aired two seasons there are a few things that go through my mind, so here we go. Warning random spoilers.
    1. I find Lori so much easier to bear with in the comics, sure she does become a pain a bit when the baby is coming but you can put that off due to hormones and at least it's usually contained to a page or less, plus you got to love it when Rick actually tells her to suck the fuck up. Yes his exact words.

2. Maggie, okay the TV version wins here big time, she's a rather strong individual and actually does a lot. Sure comic Maggie can shoot eventually but when you first meet her you get the feeling she only got out of the goth phase by a year or two. She's pretty much needy and clingy, without Glenn she would fall apart.

3. Tyreese, damn man it's some good to see him, T-Dog really doesn't compare. He kicks mucho ass.

4. Damn I forgot how young Carl and Sophia actually are in the comic, definitely younger than the TV show, and you know what? It's rather cute with how they do the boyfriend/girlfriend thing even though they don't understand it.

5. Carol, okay I really forgot how even if Sophia's mother wasn't exactly the best character she wasn't portrayed as the poor white trash as shown in the TV show. Yes her husband beat her we learn, but he died so he didn't make it into the comic as he did the TV show and I like that. Hell she's even rather attractive. Her death is still one of those things you can see happening to someone who just loses it.

6. Andrea and Amy, okay I got to ask, was it ever confirmed they screwed up Amy's death? I ask because when she dies guess what, she looks like how Andrea is forever drawn after. Before that Andrea looks different. So I get the impression either Andrea was meant to die or maybe they just liked her "look" better and decided since Amy was out of the picture Andrea could basically steal her design.

7. One of the things I quickly realized to hate was how every time someone proved they were a major threat/asshole they of course ended up dying, only to be replaced by someone else who suddenly was an asshole or jerk or whatever. It felt like forced drama because usually before they came off as kind of "normal".

8. Otis, he sure was skinny in the comic. He makes a pretty good impression, aside from you know.....shooting Carl but he quickly makes up for it. He's a rather likeable character. And then you find out he's racist. And then he becomes a jerk because you know, they need a jerk. Then he dies. Ah well.

9. Carl, so much more tolerable.

Anyone get the new issue? I guess I should talk in spoilers.
    Poor Abraham. He got Daryled. Ha. To be honest, it has been forever since I read the last few trades, so I didn't really feel anything when he got killed off this issue.

Did Kirkman have to get the rights to Two-Face for his new character? I hope the Negan guy is also disfigured or something. I don't know why.

Any predictions on who else might die? I am going to say Carl and Andrea. Why not?

So, officially, how many covers are there for issue #100? I'd like to get a few of them.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I want to say that there's four. One of them is apparently chromium (ugh).

I agree with your comment in your spoiler tag too. I kind of feel like TWD has become this steady stream of people dieing. I'm not sure if that's a criticism or not considering the material but I do know that the series was getting dangerously boring for me - and I never even had a problem reading through the prison arc month to month.

That being said, if this new arc (Something to Fear) is going where I think it's going (ie: our cast is the group to be feared) I can appreciate the new direction. I know I haven't been this into the book for a while.

I like what it's done so far, and I really dig the optimism Rick has in face of basically being the enforcers of this new world. I also have a new respect for Eugene, that's something I never expected from the guy.

I also really appreciate how much faster this has been compared to the Governor standoff around the #50 mark. It's just boom boom boom a fight an issue, which is a lot better than talking about what might happen and blabbity blah.

That being said, if this new arc (Something to Fear) is going where I think it's going (ie: our cast is the group to be feared) I can appreciate the new direction. I know I haven't been this into the book for a while.

My mind if fucking blown. I never thought of it like that. Wow.

This is my first time reading month to month (I started with about #95 or so). I usually get the trades. I don't know if I can quit getting single issues, although I am not fond of any of the covers I have gotten so far.

I plan on getting as many issue #100 covers as I can. That is the only reason I have stayed with single issues (to have the issues leading up to #100).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Count me in the group who put the book down for a while. Just caught up and while the recent surprise didn't have the impact it should have because of my hiatus I like what is happening.

I would really like it if in the next few issues
    Rick and co effortlessly dispatch of the bandits in an incredibly brutal battle but come out unphased and unscathed. Maybe even a brutal execution of the bad guy leader so the folks from Hilltop have Something To Fear.

steam_sig.png
    I kinda feel like they already did that with the group of cannibals.

I just kind of like the idea that what Rick and Co. have been through has been particularly bad when compared to other survivor's experiences. This, in turn, has shaped them into something they never thought they'd become - major hardasses. It's not good and it's not bad - it just is what it is and now they need to be utilized based on their unique skills.

It's also interesting when you look at the fact that Rick is a cop and a natural leader. He's effectively built up some sort of twisted version of a post apocalyptic police squad without even really trying.

edited June 2012
    He's effectively built up some sort of twisted version of a post apocalyptic police squad without even really trying.

This needs to be a new Walking Dead series. Hahaha.

I am liking all the ideas that have been brought up in here.

I thought it was pretty interesting. Getting me excited for issue #100.
    Robert said that the 100th issue actually has a moment that will top every other violent, bloody moment in the whole series. I know you can’t say anything specifically, but do you agree with his assessment?

Yes, I can say that. I know what he’s got planned, but he hasn’t sent me that part of the story. He did say he was going to send me some reference, which he told me to get ready for. I’m looking/not looking forward to receiving that. [Laughs] Let’s put it this way; I know what happens, but I don’t know exactly how it’s going to be described. Also, I know Robert changes his mind. He did something in issue #98 he never told me about and that almost made my eyeballs stick out on stilts, so he’s very good at that.

One of the variants for issue #100. I don't think I will pick it up, but still nice.
    twd100coverquitelyjpg-d90135_800w.jpg]/spoiler]

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I kinda feel like they already did that with the group of cannibals.

I just kind of like the idea that what Rick and Co. have been through has been particularly bad when compared to other survivor's experiences. This, in turn, has shaped them into something they never thought they'd become - major hardasses. It's not good and it's not bad - it just is what it is and now they need to be utilized based on their unique skills.

It's also interesting when you look at the fact that Rick is a cop and a natural leader. He's effectively built up some sort of twisted version of a post apocalyptic police squad without even really trying.

Good point. I took a major break from the comic and kind of forgot about that.

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2012
    Walking Dead #100 looks to break 330,000 copies. It has nine covers, and I'm not exactly sure if it's having variants quotas in the way Marvel and DC do it in the 1:200 range (one of the covers is), but that's still an impressive feat for an indy book these days. I think Buffy Season 8 #1 only got to 95k or something a few years back. This makes the issue sell even more than Civil War #1 and AvX #1, who sold 260k and 225k respectively.

I think Ottley's cover is the best of the bunch in the link.

TexiKen on
    I want both Adlard covers, Silvestri, and Otley.

Quitely is bleh to me since it isn't a main character for a huge event.

McFarlane I don't know. Just doesn't appeal to me.

Hitch's is too far away looking.

Phillips is meh. Also doesn't appeal to me.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Would've been nice to get Tony to do a cover but I guess he and Kirkman aren't exactly friends these days.

So, uh, what? (No spoilers in the link)

1340137513.jpg&w=300

Maybe the bad group's leader? A super zombie? Just the name of a gruesome weapon that one of the main bad guys use? Carl changing genders? Thoughts? I am excited for #99 tomorrow.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited June 2012
    My first gut reaction? It's based on Kenny Rogers' song by the same name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKDFKRTdlo

The lyrics could easily sync up with something that might happen, maybe with Andrea or even a new female character from Hilltop.

Either that or zombie Lucille Ball thinks Ricky Grimes is her long lost husband.

edit: or! it's
    the name of Maggie's kid, and they do a time jump or something

TexiKen on
    Ooooooh. I like your spoilered part.
    What other series have done this sort of thing (time jump)? Have they ever worked out? I feel like there would be so much flipping out if Rick was gone and it was like an old Glenn and Michonne, Carl, Maggie's kid, and whatever.

How do you suppose this would happen though? Kirkman has said that this is a bloodier event than the Governor, so I expect some ass kicking in #99 and then maybe #100 could be the jump. I doubt it though. Pretty sure they said #100 will be the KILL KILL KILL issue.

I just think Andrea dies. Maybe Glenn or Maggie too. Who knows though. I can't wait.

bYf6vNQ.png