As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thread: Old Dead Thread, Read New Thread

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Looks good but whenever the Samsung Spinpoint is back in stock it's going to be anywhere between $79-99 dollars. I'm waiting for it to get back in stock myself.

With an extra $250 you've got lot of options. You could get a 120GB SSD, add second video card for crossfire (might require a power supply upgrade), a nicer case more expensive case, jump to a 2600k, switch to a GTX 570 or 580 card, replace your current monitor, or get a second monitor for a dual screen setup.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    If you have a little more to spend, what I would recommend is:

1. Get a 120-128GB SSD for OS/Games ~$180 (you might also want to wait on this and do it later - there will probably be some big sales around Thanksgiving on SSDs.)
    2. Get a bigger/nicer case like the NZXT H2, Fractal Define R3, or Corsair 600T
    3. CPU Cooler like the CM Hyper 212+ for noise/overclocking potential

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Heir wrote:
    Hey guys, need some advice:

Video Card: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB - 270.00

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 220.00

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 - 175.00

Case: ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 70.00

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W - 132.00

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 - 55.00

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - 60.00

That's what I'm looking at for my build...costs ~$1000.

However, I won my company's Biggest Loser competition and now have an extra $250 to spend. How should I proceed? :)
    Save the $250 for 4 years from now and buy a new graphics card that will make your computer 8 times faster than anything you can do to it now.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    Looks good but whenever the Samsung Spinpoint is back in stock it's going to be anywhere between $79-99 dollars. I'm waiting for it to get back in stock myself.

With an extra $250 you've got lot of options. You could get a 120GB SSD, add second video card for crossfire (might require a power supply upgrade), a nicer case more expensive case, jump to a 2600k, switch to a GTX 570 or 580 card, replace your current monitor, or get a second monitor for a dual screen setup.

Already got a new monitor (old one died a few weeks back). Not a bad idea on the second video card...though I was kind of thinking the same with the SSD too.

The case thing doesn't really bother me as much. I've never been hugely picky on that kind of thing.

Thanks guys.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote:
    Hey guys, need some advice:

Video Card: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB - 270.00

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz 220.00

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 - 175.00

Case: ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 70.00

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W - 132.00

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 - 55.00

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - 60.00

That's what I'm looking at for my build...costs ~$1000.

However, I won my company's Biggest Loser competition and now have an extra $250 to spend. How should I proceed? :)
    Save the $250 for 4 years from now and buy a new graphics card that will make your computer 8 times faster than anything you can do to it now.

I would imagine 4 years from now I'll need to build a new computer anyways. Then I'll be in the same situation I'm in now. :P

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    @Heir

That's an easy one. Get an 120GB+ SSD. A Crucial M4 128GB is going to be your best bet as far as reliability goes (although it's definitely not the fastest drive out there, it's still really fast).

Plus, you're really overpaying for your PSU. Get something like an Antec HCG-750, or XFX Core Ed. PRO650, or OCZ ModXStream Pro 700.

With what's left over from your prize money and what you save on the PSU, you could just about break even and still step up your GPU to either a GTX 570 or HD 6970.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Another 6950. And ramp the PSU up to the 750 watt version.

• Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hey guys! Looking for advice on a system I thinking of building. First off, I am feel like noob. I haven't built a system in 6 years from scratch, though I am proud to say that system still lives to this day. I have frankenstein'd PCs with scrap parts over the years, but I haven't kept up with what's current. So I cheated, I went to Cyberpower.com generated a custom gaming PC and started looking for matching/similar parts. I plan to start buying parts over the spam of a couple months since I don't want to finance a PC, again. And I really really hate my Dell.

CASE: Thermaltake MK-1***

CPU: AMD FX-8120 3.1 8 core

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte 970A

MEMORY: 8GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600mhz

VID: GTX 550

POWER SUPPLY: Cool Masters Power Supply 700w

HD: Western digital 500gb

What do I want out of this system? longevity, room to tweek over the span of the next 3 years (at least). I do play alot of games, but I don't require top of the line. I just like it to look really good. I been living in the shadow of my hubby's XPS system for too long.

*** I have a full tower case at home, but it's about 5+ years old. Not sure if the USB connections in the front will work properly with a new motherboard??

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options

Yeah I'm leaning this way too instead of the SSD.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Neyla wrote:
    Hey guys! Looking for advice on a system I thinking of building. First off, I am feel like noob. I haven't built a system in 6 years from scratch, though I am proud to say that system still lives to this day. I have frankenstein'd PCs with scrap parts over the years, but I haven't kept up with what's current. So I cheated, I went to Cyberpower.com generated a custom gaming PC and started looking for matching/similar parts. I plan to start buying parts over the spam of a couple months since I don't want to finance a PC, again. And I really really hate my Dell.

What do I want out of this system? longevity, room to tweek over the span of the next 3 years (at least). I do play alot of games, but I don't require top of the line. I just like it to look really good. I been living in the shadow of my hubby's XPS system for too long.

*** I have a full tower case at home, but it's about 5+ years old. Not sure if the USB connections in the front will work properly with a new motherboard??

HDD (currently out of stock, however) - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=spinpoint F3
    PSU - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031&Tpk=antec neo eco 620
    CPU (the one you listed is deactivated? So I don't really know what your price range was, but...) - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078&Tpk=i3-2100
    OR
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    MoBo - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Neyla wrote:

unfortunately for all of us the new amd chips don't really deliver fantastic performance unless you are running some very heavily threaded programs (no games do this at this time nor will they in the near future).

for a similar price a 2500k and a solid p67/z68 board will blow away the amd in most normal computing and come close enough in the few situations where the fx chip pulls ahead. It'll also use less power if that's something you care about.

that ram is overpriced for what it provides, just snag the cheapest 9 9 9 24 1600 mhz eight gig kit you can get, corsair, g skill and others should have kits in those specs at or below the fifty dollar price point.

For graphics I'd step up to at least a 560gtx or a 6870, either will run modern games very well.

unless you are planning to add a second gpu down the road a card in that range can run just fine off a 500 watt psu.

sorry I don't have good links to suggested parts right now, posting from my phone. I'll come back and edit in some if no one else provides some before I get home from work.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Heir wrote:

Yeah I'm leaning this way too instead of the SSD.

It's not necessarily clear cut. If you do a lot of graphics-intensive gaming, the second card might be worth it. You won't need 750W to run it, though, you can stick with a quality 650W supply.

SSDs are fantastic, though. I honestly wouldn't want to do without mine at this point.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I bought a 60GB SSD for my current build and am considering replacing it with a larger one because it is so great that I want more.

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm seriously considering moving to a 256GB Crucial M4. I like the Corsair drives I have, and assuming they stay stable (and the firmware update just released fixes any that aren't) they're good options, but you can get a 256GB M4 for like $360, which is about 50-60 bucks more than I paid for my first 120GB SSD like 8 months ago.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Hello gents and gentesses, I'm looking to build my first ever personal computer, and have very little idea where to start. I read through the OP, and was able to answer the questions that would help me get an idea of what it is I want, but a lot of what's in there means almost nothing to me. So I come to you looking for help.

My budget is potentially mutable, but I'm currently hoping to not have to spend more than 800 USD. I'm going to need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and my intended use for the computer is casual/gaming stuff. I'd like to have great performance on reasonable games (League of Legends, Mirror's Edge, GTA IV, Far Cry 2, and Diablo III), but I'm okay with not having maxed AA and all the super fancy bells and whistles.

I have no brand bias as far as parts go, and I tend not to buy games until they've been out for a while and are on sale, so I'm not terribly worried about being able to play Crysis 3 (or whatever) the day it comes out, but the ability to upgrade in the future would be nice.

So can you classy folks perhaps point me in the right direction and give me some clue as to what I'm looking to buy? I'd like to go ahead and start my research now so that I can pick up some sweet deals whenever Cyber Monday rolls around. I appreciate all your time and effort.

• Options
    I'm pretty seriously considering doing a 256 gig crucial ssd for my next rig and just forgoing a traditional hdd completely. Store the big stuff I need occasional access to on the old machine's 2tb drive and just not install much of my steam list on the new rig.

they're just so much nicer, and conventional drive prices are up right now anyway.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty seriously considering doing a 256 gig crucial ssd for my next rig and just forgoing a traditional hdd completely. Store the big stuff I need occasional access to on the old machine's 2tb drive and just not install much of my steam list on the new rig.

they're just so much nicer, and conventional drive prices are up right now anyway.

It's a great upgrade. I've got a 256gb SSD and a couple TB in HDDs. With Steam Mover, it's a super handy setup.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    they're also quiet and easily hidden and I love a good clean looking build

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    I really hope the Spinpoint 1tb's come back in stock soon because I could really use one for my new computer. In the event they don't other than the WD Black series what other 1tb hard drives are worth considering? The Black's being $149 for 1tb is just insane and I refuse to pay that much when my SSD isn't a lot more than that. I suppose I could re-purpose my current 600gb boot drive, and then when prices and stock stabilize clone it onto a 1TB.

• Options
    I think hdd prices/stocks are gonna be screwy for a while yet. Its unfortunate.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Cormac wrote:
    I really hope the Spinpoint 1tb's come back in stock soon because I could really use one for my new computer. In the event they don't other than the WD Black series what other 1tb hard drives are worth considering? The Black's being $149 for 1tb is just insane and I refuse to pay that much when my SSD isn't a lot more than that. I suppose I could re-purpose my current 600gb boot drive, and then when prices and stock stabilize clone it onto a 1TB.

Man, hard drives are bonkers right now. I picked up my last 1TB WD Black a few weeks ago for like $70.

• Options
    Cormac wrote:

Man, hard drives are bonkers right now. I picked up my last 1TB WD Black a few weeks ago for like $70.

From what I understand wd's factory sustained some pretty serious flood damage recently, and ever since they announced it drive prices have been going up and stuffs been selling out like crazy.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Cormac wrote:

From what I understand wd's factory sustained some pretty serious flood damage recently, and ever since they announced it drive prices have been going up and stuffs been selling out like crazy.

Which is great news for the SSD makers. I've seen dramatic drops recently on SSDs. They're trying to capitalize on this situation, and I think it's working. I'm hearing lots of people picking up SSDs for boot drives lately.

• Options
    Cormac wrote:

Seriously. I was going to buy all the parts last weekend, but decided to put it off for a few more weeks when I'll have the house to myself and another paycheck. Maybe that wasn't the smartest idea.

• Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    Thanks guys for the insight on my list. Though it seems after working on a part list for 2 days, my husband just suprised me with the full system! It's my Birthday, xmas and anniversary gift.

Best part, it's nearly the same as my list (with what you suggested Burtletoy) save for the DDR3 (still 8g but only 1333mhz, but still!)

I still gushing! Thanks again :D

13142111181576.png
  • Options
    When I first read the news I almost snapped up a stack of 1tb drives just in case. Kicking myself right now for not doing it.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    When I first read the news I almost snapped up a stack of 1tb drives just in case. Kicking myself right now for not doing it.

Thank god I splurged and outfitted my Drobo with 16tb last year.

• Options
    Neyla wrote:
    Thanks guys for the insight on my list. Though it seems after working on a part list for 2 days, my husband just suprised me with the full system! It's my Birthday, xmas and anniversary gift.

Best part, it's nearly the same as my list (with what you suggested Burtletoy) save for the DDR3 (still 8g but only 1333mhz, but still!)

I still gushing! Thanks again :D

Awesome, enjoy your new rig!

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Well I got everything assembled, installed windows 7, installed everything. The utility that came with the mobo tells me I am idling at 35! So I am unconcerned with those high bios readings now. Next problem! I am posting from my phone as my wireless internet is chugging severely. It is an old wireless card, a broadcom 4318 chipset. Same thing I was using just a couple days ago on my old computer with great speed on the same os!
    What could be causing it? I cant find the 4318 drivers on the broadcom site or else Id try that.

Edit: Also on startup it sees the network and its excellent signal connection but fails to connect...until a few minutes pass, then it connects fine

Double Edit: OMG I fixed a network problem on my own! So lucky. Poking around the wireless adapter settings, saw that some option was set to 802.1 b only, I set it to 54g (performance) and instant superspeed

So now my computer is fully functional! Yayyyy thanks for the help guys

Trips Edit: Finally, a question not related to me worrying I broke something: So this HAF912 is pretty sweet (and feels sooo much bigger than my old one), but the top is pretty much wide open, where the fan vent is (and I in fact installed an optional 200mm fan there. With a blue LED. Pretty sweet looking). That kinda makes me nervous. There is a very fine dust filter on the bottom vent under the PSU, but the top didn't come with one, but that'd ease my worrying some.

schattenjaeger on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Double Edit: OMG I fixed a network problem on my own! So lucky. Poking around the wireless adapter settings, saw that some option was set to 802.1 b only, I set it to 54g (performance) and instant superspeed

So now my computer is fully functional! Yayyyy thanks for the help guys

Trips Edit: Finally, a question not related to me worrying I broke something: So this HAF912 is pretty sweet (and feels sooo much bigger than my old one), but the top is pretty much wide open, where the fan vent is (and I in fact installed an optional 200mm fan there. With a blue LED. Pretty sweet looking). That kinda makes me nervous. There is a very fine dust filter on the bottom vent under the PSU, but the top didn't come with one, but that'd ease my worrying some.

Congrats on fixing the wireless issue, I always find networking problems to be the biggest pains in the ass.

As for the case fan, if its blowing out you should be fine and really dust is going to get in your case anyway despite the efforts of filters so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

• Options
    Hello gents and gentesses, I'm looking to build my first ever personal computer, and have very little idea where to start. I read through the OP, and was able to answer the questions that would help me get an idea of what it is I want, but a lot of what's in there means almost nothing to me. So I come to you looking for help.

My budget is potentially mutable, but I'm currently hoping to not have to spend more than 800 USD. I'm going to need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, and my intended use for the computer is casual/gaming stuff. I'd like to have great performance on reasonable games (League of Legends, Mirror's Edge, GTA IV, Far Cry 2, and Diablo III), but I'm okay with not having maxed AA and all the super fancy bells and whistles.

I have no brand bias as far as parts go, and I tend not to buy games until they've been out for a while and are on sale, so I'm not terribly worried about being able to play Crysis 3 (or whatever) the day it comes out, but the ability to upgrade in the future would be nice.

So can you classy folks perhaps point me in the right direction and give me some clue as to what I'm looking to buy? I'd like to go ahead and start my research now so that I can pick up some sweet deals whenever Cyber Monday rolls around. I appreciate all your time and effort.

For those buying a new monitor, I really wouldn't recommend less than a full 1080p model. There are a number of solid 1080p monitors for sale around $150. Something like this would work. Then go with a Logitech G400, for $35 it's a steal. After that I'd pick up a cheap keyboard via your local Best Buy type retailer. So call that $180 all told.

So we're looking at a budget of $620 for the rest of the machine, here's what I'd say would be solid:
    PuterList1.jpg

That comes out to (/sigh) $663.24 after shipping. Entirely due to the fact that HDDs have doubled in price. Fuck Thailand. Seriously. Fuck. Thailand. If the Dutch can stop their entire country from being consumed by the ocean, surely Thailand should be able to put some sandbags up to make sure that the only industry besides sex tourism that makes their country notable is protected.

• Options
    schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Heyyyy one final, probably stupid question. Currently my CPU fan is cranking away at full speed, I see the option to automate it in the BIOS, but I want to make sure I understand what they do. Currently it's on full enabled (or enabled full? Whichever). If I set it to Automatic, I get two more choices: Target temp, and target speed. I also have these choices in the ASRock tuner utility that came with the motherboard driver CD, I am assuming it provides the same functionality?

My GUESS (and I can't find a definitive answer in any of my mobo materials of course) is that the fan will basically run at the target speed until it passes the target temp? So maybe set the target speed to like level 3 or 4 (which I've discovered actually keeps it at about the same idling temp), and the target temp to like 45 C?

Edit: Err, it may have been a coincidence but while I was futzing with the fans I got a BSOD! One of the few I've ever gotten ever...I was looking right at the temps when it happened and they weren't over 40C. Is that a bad sign? I had a couple of other weird problems too. I hadn't installed the 60+ updates that were due if that might matter. Also, my old wireless card was sucking, so I went and bought a new USB wireless adapter. It worked for a little bit, then inexplicably stopped. Resetting the router fixed that. Hm.

A long time ago I had screwed around with Linux on my other HD, and written GRUB into the MBR of my main HD, and it was still there. I actually hadn't tried to boot Win7 yet from scratch and when I tried it tried to load GRUB and failed. Fortunately I repaired the MBR with the win 7 boot disk. So everything seems to be getting squared away slowly.

schattenjaeger on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Neyla wrote:

I'm late getting to this, but I just wanted to say that I have that Thermaltake case and it is fucking awesome. All my front ports work except the e-sata because I bought a shitty motherboard that doesn't support it.

• Options
    So what's the current opinion between going with ATI/Radeon vs NVidia? I was thinking of picking up either a Radeon 6970 or a gtx570. For both I would go with the ~2gb versions. A quick google search seems to say there isn't much difference, so wanted to see what your opinions were.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote:
    So what's the current opinion between going with ATI/Radeon vs NVidia? I was thinking of picking up either a Radeon 6970 or a gtx570. For both I would go with the ~2gb versions. A quick google search seems to say there isn't much difference, so wanted to see what your opinions were.

They seem fairly on par to me. With cards that high-end, you'll be running everything on max at great framerates. I tend to prefer AMD because they tend to be a tad cheaper for roughly equivilant performance, run a tiny but cooler, and tend to offer displayport connectors.

You really can't go wrong with either, though. And right now most retailers are giving away free copies of Arkham City with GTX 560s or higher. I went with a 560 for my wife's build for that very reason.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @Heir

That's an easy one. Get an 120GB+ SSD. A Crucial M4 128GB is going to be your best bet as far as reliability goes (although it's definitely not the fastest drive out there, it's still really fast).

Plus, you're really overpaying for your PSU. Get something like an Antec HCG-750, or XFX Core Ed. PRO650, or OCZ ModXStream Pro 700.

With what's left over from your prize money and what you save on the PSU, you could just about break even and still step up your GPU to either a GTX 570 or HD 6970.

Thanks for the PSU recommendations. However none of those have modular cables, which is just something I really want.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote:
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @Heir

Thanks for the PSU recommendations. However none of those have modular cables, which is just something I really want.

The OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 he linked is modular. I have one powering my wife's rig. It's a nice PSU.

• Options
    Heir wrote:
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @Heir

Oops nm, the last one does.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heir wrote:
    TheCanMan wrote:
    @Heir

The OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 he linked is modular. I have one powering my wife's rig. It's a nice PSU.

Yeah oops. I don't see any information on it's 5v and 12v rails though.

Edit: Found it: http://www.ocztechnology.com/images/awards/mxsp_wattage_charts.jpg

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hey guys, have one big question:

I have a 3.1 generation Mac Pro. The Mac Pro has generic PCIe slots for the video card, and I know you can only use a handful of these special princess cards to boot into MacOS. All of those cards seem older and stupidly priced.

I'm kind of indifferent about macOS vs. windows 7. I'd like to get a new video card and just let this computer be a windows gaming box for a little while rather than spending $450 for some radeon 5870.

I won't be going above 19x12. I just want Saints Row 3 to look gorgeous and have a smooth framerate. Any advice on what I should do? The tom's hardware "just buy these ones" monthly list suggests the Radeon HD 6870 at $180ish for "great" 1900x1200 performance. Sounds promising but I have no idea what I'm doing, really.

This discussion has been closed.