As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre/Post PAX Maryland Meetup

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I do play, and would at some point love to DM, but don't have the materials at the moment. I first got interested through the PA podcasts as I never wanted to play beforehand. Not at this meetup but maybe at a later one I will get the materials and be able to teach/DM a game for you guys. If you haven't yet don't listen to the dark sun podcasts because I want everyone to come in without knowing what happens.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be opposed to a D&D game. I don't have the gear for that either, on the plus side We will be meeting in a game store so if I need something I could probably buy it.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    FYI for people planning to hit Dream Wizards: They are *adamant* about locking the doors at 8pm, so plan accordingly. Also, bring a cushion if you have issues with hard chairs.

• Options
    BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    FWIW, I've barely played but I'd be down for a D&D game.

• Options
    For those or you interested in D&D, let me know via PM. I will talk to all those interested and explain what is going to be needed in order to get a game going. I am very willing to DM even though I have not done so before if people will be interested. We can discuss it in more detail at the meetup if you want. But, I would like to gauge interest soon, because the sooner I have a group the sooner I can start preparing and the sooner people can learn.

4th Edition is very easy to learn and having played for the better part of a year I have no problem teaching, and as a former new player I know that it takes time to pick it up so I will be very patient. Again PM me if you are interested.

• Options
    Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    Am I too late to the party for this? Not really sure I know where this place is but I just moved to the College Park area a couple months ago. Bought my three day pass for PAX yesterday and figured I check the forums and that is the first I saw of this.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Sentient it is definitely not too late, It will only be too late to show up after the event ends. OP is edited with address and phone of Dream Wizards, if anyone has additions of games let me or Exodus know and I'll update the OP. Also if anyone wants to come, you do not need to let us know in advance but it would be appreciated

nevermore13 on
  • Options
    Sentient it is definitely not too late, It will only be too late to show up after the event ends. OP is edited with address and phone of Dream Wizards, if anyone has additions of games let me or Exodus know and I'll update the OP. Also if anyone wants to come, you do not need to let us know in advance but it would be appreciated
    *magic hands in an elevated position*

• Options
    I think I'm gonna try to show, depending on how rushed my soul is from a week of grading midterms and if that's cool with everyone. Also if my car manages to hold up for a drive of more than ten feet. Sounds like fun though.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Hmm, I was hoping this meetup would go later than 6. I'll have to bow out this time around.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I was hoping this meetup would go later than 6. I'll have to bow out this time around.

Yea, sadly the Dream Wizard's posted hours for Sat. are 11am-6pm, and generally the staff doesn't like to stay late. I will call just to be sure the hours on the website are up-to-date.
    Sentient6 wrote:
    I think I'm gonna try to show, depending on how rushed my soul is from a week of grading midterms and if that's cool with everyone. Also if my car manages to hold up for a drive of more than ten feet. Sounds like fun though.
    What nevermore13 said, glad to have you if you can make it Sentient6!

• Options
    LuganoLugano Registered User new member
    edited November 2011
    Hey I just saw this post. I just bought my 3 day pass for PAX and I figured I'd check out the forums. I'll try and make it to the meetup. I'm always looking to meet like minded people.

I'm coming from Pikesville. So, if anyone needs a lift from my general area let me know.

Lugano on
  • Options
    I just double-checked DWs hours for Saturday and they are open until 8pm. It looks like you mixed Sunday's hours up with Saturday's!
    Any thoughts about doing dinner somewhere once they close?

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    I just double-checked DWs hours for Saturday and they are open until 8pm. It looks like you mixed Sunday's hours up with Saturday's!
    Any thoughts about doing dinner somewhere once they close?

Yea, I just confirmed as well, I think the hours on the site are old. I actually reserved space for us, he just asked that anything we play, has to be sold in the store (don't think there's a problem there), and that we start wrapping up any game around 7pm so there's time to clean up.

I think some had suggested Dave & Busters for dinner, which was cool with me (get a little more gaming in!), but there's also a Cheescake Factory, Bertucci's, and P.F. Chang's among others if we want just a regular restaurant. Thoughts?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    If there are dinner plans after the gaming I can totally make it to those!
    Out of those options Dave & Busters seems like the most obvious answer, but I love me some PF Chang's! Keep in mind it'll be dinner time on a Saturday night, so it might be better to do a place we can do a reservation at. I do not know which of those places do though.
    Another place I just thought of which is further north on 355 is Matchbox. They make good damn pizzas everything and unless their policy changed they take reservations.

Edit: This reminded me that D&B will have a cover charge on Sat night, too.

TabooPhantasy on
    ~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Glad to see more people joining us.

Pretty much any of the mentioned options works for me for dinner.

Also, don't forget to bring your games! Looking at the list, seems like we could use a few more if people have some they'd like to bring along.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    Edit: This reminded me that D&B will have a cover charge on Sat night, too.

Just called to be sure, no cover charge at D&B on Sat night, however if everyone would rather just get food, I'm ok with that, any of the restaurants up rockville pike are cool with me, don't think I've ever been to Matchbox, looks very good.
    gespo89 wrote:
    Also, don't forget to bring your games! Looking at the list, seems like we could use a few more if people have some they'd like to bring along.
    Agreed! a few more games would be awesome.

• Options
    Everyone get in here and make a damn vote! (about dinner/post-DW activity)

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I'm ok for D&B, because if you want a better steak in an arcade setting your shit out of luck.

zepherin on
  • Options
    I'm not picky about what and where to eat and related activities.

As to games all I have lying around are: Munchkin Cthulu, a crapload of mostly old magic cards, and some D&D rulebooks, so I don't think I have much to contribute.

• Options
    Sentient6 wrote:
    I'm not picky about what and where to eat and related activities.

As to games all I have lying around are: Munchkin Cthulu, a crapload of mostly old magic cards, and some D&D rulebooks, so I don't think I have much to contribute.
    Don't feel bad I've got a whole lotta nothing to bring to the party myself except myself. All my RPG and gaming stuff lives in Colorado. The land of microbrews and honey.

• Options
    I'm not really picky although not that excited about the idea of paying a cover, to go somewhere to pay again for food that's my only argument against D&B. TabooPhantasy's mention of Matchbox sounds good to me.

On the game front I know this will sound weird as one of the main organizer's but all I have to bring are my 4 magic decks. Don't have any tabletop games sadly.

I look forward to seeing all of you or most of you on Saturday. I will be the one wearing a PAX East 2010 or PAX East 2011 shirt

• Options
    I'm not really picky although not that excited about the idea of paying a cover, to go somewhere to pay again for food that's my only argument against D&B.
    Exodus1 wrote:
    Just called to be sure, no cover charge at D&B on Sat night, however if everyone would rather just get food, I'm ok with that, any of the restaurants up rockville pike are cool with me, don't think I've ever been to Matchbox, looks very good.

There is NO cover at Dave & Busters on Sat, or any night of the week, I confirmed.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Hmm... may have to break out my Heroscape set. I just wish it wasn't so hard to transport.

Also, it looks like a good number of us have magic decks so definitely make sure to bring them if you have them.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    gespo89 wrote:
    Also, it looks like a good number of us have magic decks so definitely make sure to bring them if you have them.

The majority of my cards are several years old. Do you guys only play with the newer editions or am I gonna be okay with cards some of which were probably printed when I was in middle school?

• Options
    Sentient6 wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

The majority of my cards are several years old. Do you guys only play with the newer editions or am I gonna be okay with cards some of which were probably printed when I was in middle school?

I have a Standard deck and an EDH deck to bring, but it's just a casual game, I don't think anyone will care if you play an old deck. I mean if it has anything to do with Stoneforge Mystic, you might get some glares, but hey, lol.

• Options
    LuganoLugano Registered User new member
    Sorry all, I'm going to have to bail. I've been sick the past few days and I doubt I'll feel up to it. Have fun everyone!

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Sentient6 wrote:

If your car is giving you trouble and you still want to come, I am in the College Park area as well and would be willing to pick you up. Send me a PM if you are interested.

• Options
    Sentient6 wrote:
    gespo89 wrote:

It's just some casual games, so as long as you leave your Shahrazad / Panoptic Mirror combo deck home, it makes little difference to me.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    Well I guess I'm good then. These cards are largely those the old uncommons and commons my friend couldn't sell so none are particularly great.
    Emporium wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:

If your car is giving you trouble and you still want to come, I am in the College Park area as well and would be willing to pick you up. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks. I'm gonna take my car out today and see whether it's giving me trouble. I hope not.

• Options
    I'm going to shower get dressed and wander down.

• Options
    So I've never been to this place before. Is it going to be clear when I get there who's here for this or am I going to stand around for a few minutes awkwardly looking like an idiot? I mean I'm pretty good at standing around awkwardly, but yeah...

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Showered and pants, Who knows I'll GPS it and if there is a problem I'll call Exodus1, his number is in the second post, although after this meeting he should edit it out for information security sake.
    ETA 12:20.

zepherin on
  • Options
    BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    I have to clean myself up and then I'll head on over. Probably get there around 1:00.

• Options
    uggg traffic is jacked up 1245 maybe

• Options
    Wooooorking! Only another hour and a half before I am out of here!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    Well I made it home alive, I think. Sorry I had to bail before dinner but waiting for a tow truck by the side of the road later at night didn't sound like fun. Luckily the car held up.

Had a lot of fun and would definitely be down for something like this again in the future. Also, who was I talking to about maybe playing some Starcraft II?

Anyway, it was nice meeting you all.

• Options
    That was fun we'll definitely do that again. Good turnout too. Epic munchkin games.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The meetup went great, thanks to everyone who came out, and especially to those who brought games!

Since it went so well, I think there was a consensus that we'd like to do this again, and possibly on a monthly basis. Since there was also talk of meeting up for some other events as well, I made us a google group to help keep things organized.

Join the MD PAX Meetup group at http://groups.google.com/group/mdpaxmeetup you can also PM me your email and I'll send an invite, or just email mdpaxmeetup@googlegroups.com.

Thanks again to everyone who came, it was a lot of fun!

Exodus1 on
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Yeah, thanks to everyone who showed up. It was a blast.

By the way Sentient, it was me (Geoff) who talked to you about Starcraft.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png