As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

1272829303133»

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I started an adventure game. After 3 tries with instant deaths I decided to actually read the wiki advice.

Now I have a nice little ambusher marksdwarf who has collected a nice belt of goblin scalps. Adventure mode is so much Fun.

Although, I think it would be nice to play as a Goblin, I know there are mods out there, but at this point I can't play DF without May-Green's tile pack.

I just started on Adventure mode myself and it is AWESOME. First however....I'm having trouble figuring out how to use a bow. Tips?

Anyway. So after a couple of misteps and dead adventurers I also read the wiki advice. Queue a nice little human swordsman who I had running around looking for a mark. I'm fast traveling and all of a sudden it's night and the Boggeymen are out! I'm going "oh shit oh shit!" and running away from them, all the while heading towards my quest.

All of a sudden I have the Chieftaness (my mark) talking to me and I run into her lackeys. Here comes a Swordsman! I cut off one of his legs and get an idea! I leave him. I then go remove an arm and a leg from a bowman. I back off, and the Boggeymen, having finished off the swordsman come after the Bowman. While they pummel him I'm working the back attacking them and manage to kill 3 of them before the bowman dies. I kill another and then all is quiet.

At this point I haven't actually seen the Chieftaness, despite seeing all the messages of her vomitting all over the place. Still pitch black I look all over the place and JUST. CAN'T. FIND. HER. All of a sudden an arrow comes out of nowhere and punctures one of my lungs :shock:

I run off a bit and rest till dawn and then FINALLY find her and cut her down :^:

The whole combat system is fun as hell, with being able to target body parts and cut off limbs. Nothing is as awesome as cutting up an enemy and then getting a chance to go for their head, and to have it go flying off their body :mrgreen:

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    From what I remember it's [f] to fire a bow and from there you select a tile to fire at. I've been holding out playing for a while waiting for the next release so I'm not sure if that's 100% correct, if that doesn't work you can always just throw your arrows at dudes. I usually find throwing more helpful since you don't need a bow and basically everything becomes a super deadly projectile once your skill is high enough.

camo_sig.png

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Yeah, F is fire, then you target with numpad/arrow keys, and hit enter. You can throw rocks you find in your starting village for a while (make a macro) to pump your archer skills o a point where you won't miss as much.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I think that all the game really needs to become many times as big is a fully mouse driven interface, and a commitment from Toady that 'this is the style of graphics output my game will produce from now on, make mods and tiles based on this'

Full mouse interface would be best though, as people have said, it removes the barrier between I want this to be planned and this has been planned.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I honestly have modded the hell out of my game for adventure mode. Races, graphics, crafting, homes, a magic system, weapons/armor, all kinds of stuff. It really jumps the adventure mode from "pesudo-roguelike" to "Open-world roguelike with huge possibility".

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for the ranged info!

Things were going pretty good for my Adventurer. Had racked up a decent amount of kills and some iron armor, breastplate, greaves and boots, with a bronze cap.

Made it over to my last fortress that died to a Titan and Goblins. Killed 5 Goblins on the way down, but when I found the old dining room it seemed a Goblin Squad was using it. Unwisely took a swing at one of them and then I got gang raped :shock:

I suppose I should have backed through the doorway, but I couldn't have held them there, since there was a 2nd door.

Edit: I should mention that the Goblins finished off the Titan for me when they showed up. Of course, at that point I was down to less than 10 dwarves.

Bonepart on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Someone set up a statue of an elf ripping someone's leg off in my dining hall. Dwarves are trying to eat in here man :?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    Mmmm, Smells like dwarf fortress! I think I am going to have to make a new fort tonight!

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I think I conned a friend into trying Dwarf Fortress out. I hope he forgives me!

Bonepart on
  • Options
    stabbystabby Registered User regular
    In this case, the plan is to then have a witness to a bloodfeeding be able to report that to a guard/sheriff/etc., and then that'll be available for you when you decide on somebody to accuse/arrest/punish. You'll be able to accuse the wrong dwarf, and we might have the vampire or grudge-holding dwarves level false accusations that'll muddy the witness accounts a bit.

Hard-boiled dwarf detectives, or Urist Beardsworth: Ace Attorney

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The guy's over at SA are running a succession game (play a year, hand off the save) but with some mods applied. It's looking like a promising read.
    -New creatures and megabeasts, courtesy of our own wonderful Internet Kraken!

-Two new civilizations to fuck with you on a regular basis:
    -Maigethrans, weak, with no weapons, but strange armor, and flying numerous swarms to pick off babies, civilians and livestock.
    -THINGS, technically a surprise. You'll know these when you see them. And probably shit yourself.

-The Shrine of Armok, three special offerings to Armok can make your dwarves gain unspeakable means of power, or sustenance through weary times.

-Plant changes:
    -Plumps are slower, don't grow in Winter, and are unbrewable. Pigtails have been slowed down as well.
    -Only pig tails, dimple cups, and plumps give seeds. Everything else must be gathered or bought from caravans.
    -The world is cursed. Normal brewing only produces toxic cruor. Dwarves have created a Pressure Still which purifies the wonderful alcohol,
    but now all brewing requires fuel and produces only 80% of what it used to.
    - Domesticated Peat can produce efficient supplemental fuel, but is slow growing and hard to get much out of.

-Scriptuary and Study, use already trained dwarves to write Journals of their expertise, and have new ones train up their skills with material discounts.
    Wonderful when the inevitable death spiral comes and you need replacements.

These things are always great as subtle differences in play styles result in lethal mistakes (for instance, it's virtually impossible to understand what people are trying to achieve with half-finished machine-based projects even when they explain things)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So I've wanted to learn this game for a while, and im going through the tutorial that's linked in the op. Quick question though, about how long will it take to learn enough to actually play the game? I've dug out the beginnings of my fort, made my workshops, my trade depot, and my bed rooms, and i feel like I have a small understanding of how to do things, but from what I've read I haven't dealt with 99% of the game yet.

Basically just asking am I looking at days, weeks, or months?

sligmasta on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    sligmasta wrote:
    Basically just asking am I looking at days, weeks, or months?

The learning curve is steep, but that's also a benefit: a steep learning curve means you're going to slog a bit at the beginning, but that's because you're being forced to learn many aspects of the game very rapidly. My experience, and many others', is that, while a bit difficult, if you keep playing it'll only take a solid weekend or so before you're really quite comfortable with maintaining and expanding a fort day-to-day in a middle-of-the-difficulty-road locale.

To be more explicit, I'd estimate only about ten or so hours of real gameplay, so long as you're making good use of the wiki and such.

• Options
    I was going to say years. But that's only because I constantly find myself having to wiki commands and figuring things out.

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Yeah, once you've pushed past the initial few hours and got your bearings with the basic commands (sounds like you have!), the learning takes a turn towards discovery. Like discovering that magma will, in fact, melt that floodgate you just installed.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah, a couple of days to a week is usually about what it takes.

Just make forts. Over and over. Be reckless. It's how you learn. Every time a fort fails, you will certainly not make the same mistake next time, and the next time, and the time after that.

And whatever you do, never play without the Wiki open. You will be referencing it constantly. Even people who've been playing forever tend to use the Wiki regularly. There's just so much stuff, you have to.

After a couple of forts, you'll be designing purpose-built traps and rooms in no time. But be careful because after a certain point, the game can become way too easy, if you figure out how to make an impentrable fort. I actually abandoned a thriving fort of several years a while back out of sheer boredom, because I was unassailable from the outside and I set up similar defences in the caverns below, leaving me with nothing to do but occasionally venture outside for wood, or to kill monsters.

Memorize everything you can about the military. Currently, Military is the most needlessly complex part of DF, and it's even more unintuitive than the rest of the game, so beware. It sucks. But you'll figure it out eventually (probably).

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Medicine is a little tricky too, but it's just a matter of gathering the right materials and turning on the medical jobs for your appointed medsdwarves. Military is much simpler in this regard, but you have to sort out that god awful series of menus to form and outfit your squads. Once that's done it requires minimal management, as opposed to the hoops one must jump through to make god damned soap.

Watching your brave troops get hacked apart and sewn back together makes learning both systems worth it.

• Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    furlion wrote:
    Finally found some free time to start up a new fortress to hold me over till the next release. This release seems to be heavily favoring adventure mode which I don't mind even though I have never played it. Some of the stuff will carry over into fortress mode and that is enough for me. Still this could attract a lot more players who are looking for a more Roguelike experience then the adventure mode currently brings.
    Im actually really, really excited about adventurer mode.

I mean, what if instead of going around dungeons bashing stuff, you decide to make your self a hut in the middle of the forest, become a legendary bow manufacturer and plant and hunt for food?

Or maybe just make and sell items, or trading them or,,,

so much potential to it

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Pereza0 wrote:
    furlion wrote:
    Finally found some free time to start up a new fortress to hold me over till the next release. This release seems to be heavily favoring adventure mode which I don't mind even though I have never played it. Some of the stuff will carry over into fortress mode and that is enough for me. Still this could attract a lot more players who are looking for a more Roguelike experience then the adventure mode currently brings.
    Im actually really, really excited about adventurer mode.

I mean, what if instead of going around dungeons bashing stuff, you decide to make your self a hut in the middle of the forest, become a legendary bow manufacturer and plant and hunt for food?

Or maybe just make and sell items, or trading them or,,,

so much potential to it

Is he actually talking about putting crafting/building in the next release? All the update blurbs I can remember for a while now have related to monster powers or Necromancy-related stuff (Vampire migrants that prey on other dwarves, most recently)