As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sword of the Stars II: Broke. Post in new thread.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tayrun wrote:
    I usually don't go for it unless I feel like i've been intentionally deceived or the game is far, far from being in any sort of release state.

Sounds right. First the game isn't in a release state, then they lie to us by saying 'oh wait no, it's just a beta build, we'll fix it in this re-upload!' which changes effectively nothing.

It wouldn't since it's just another slightly later beta build. Least that's what I'm hearing.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote:
    I usually don't go for it unless I feel like i've been intentionally deceived or the game is far, far from being in any sort of release state.

Sounds right. First the game isn't in a release state, then they lie to us by saying 'oh wait no, it's just a beta build, we'll fix it in this re-upload!' which changes effectively nothing.

It wouldn't since it's just another slightly later beta build. Least that's what I'm hearing.

A Paradox employee stated that the current version is definitely the intended release on their forums.

.........yeah.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Astns wrote:
    Tayrun wrote:

A Paradox employee stated that the current version is definitely the intended release on their forums.

.........yeah.

Stop destroying my pleasant fantasies that it will all turn out fine over the weekend.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Seriously though, someone needs to flag the title with a big *DO NOT BUY*

I'm somewhat disappointed that the game is in alpha.
    I'm in a towering fucking rage that they lied about it all and wasted everyone's time.

Paradox wrote:
    State of the Game

Hello all, there has been problems with the Sword of the Stars 2 release and for this we apologize. This should have been handled in a much more professional way from both us and the developer.

There has been version problems on Steam, and we are working on updating this version 24x7 from both the development and publishing team. Patching is in process for all known errors.

I can personally guarantee we will work on the game until it works as it should be, and in the meantime all I can say is that we should have done this better. Our sincere apologies.

Expect a response and status update from the developer as soon as they are ready with more information (which should be soon). Thanks for your patience.

---
    Fred Wester
    CEO Paradox Interactive

Source:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?567065-State-of-the-Game&s=43d3c04eaa33819f183701fc62c88081&p=13015385&viewfull=1#post13015385

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    I guess it's a Kerberos release, then.

I know these guys are going to turn this into a fun game, but it's going to take a while. Gonna keep an eye on this.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I can reach out and touch a fantastic game but it's stuck in this morass of missing data and inexplicably slow menus.

Gnar.

I bet the space dolphins did it.

Space dolphins ruin everything.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So is there any reason why nothing happens in combat other then more midnlessly clicking on the tactical map trying to find something to shoot?

So is there any reason why nothing happens in combat other then more mindlessly clicking on the tactical map trying to find something to shoot?

The game isnt finished.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

I REALLY WISH I SPENT MY FUCKING MONEY ON SONIC GENERATIONS NOW!!!!

AT LEAST, THEN, I HAVE A FUCKING GAME TO PLAY!

edited October 2011
    As a matter of fact, there is a very good reason for it -
    the game isn't even close to being finished. ;)

edit: gah beated

Sokpuppet on
    ...Space Dolphins!

But there is a combat engine in there, honest. I saws it.

Ships shoot and do stuff and everything. Although I haven't been able to convince them to move independently using the stance button. I suspect that may not work.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Basil wrote:
    ...Space Dolphins!

But there is a combat engine in there, honest. I saws it.

Ships shoot and do stuff and everything. Although I haven't been able to convince them to move independently using the stance button. I suspect that may not work.

I didnt see it, ships (or rather meteors and VNs) just failed to spawn and I sat watching an empty solar system for 5 minutes.

I think makes me the most mad is that I have no doubt this will end up being a FANTASTIC game, and I can see all the makings of all the greatness there, but I just... can't... reach it.

edited October 2011
    Awesome.

Well, not awesome.

Yeah, this is a thing alright.

I can prod this and I keep getting that science fiction nerd glee bubble and then it bursts because it ain't done.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited October 2011
    On the bright side, Mecron never gets to be smug again.
    ...unless he did a runner with our monies this morning.

Sokpuppet on
    Sokpuppet wrote:

Hahahahahahaha! Yessssss.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited October 2011
    Even more awesome:

It seems that several of the human stations dont even have models, theres just an empty spot in orbit where the station is supposed to be.

Astns on
    edited October 2011
    Attempting to outfit my ships with PLACEHOLDER_SPINAL_B_ etc was a poor choice, also.

Apparently colony fleets that stick around to support new colonies won't return to home base by themselves and can not be recalled, perhaps because you wish to put more ships in the fleet, unless you first make them relocate to the new colony they are in orbit around, then relocate them to their home planet.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited October 2011
    I mean, damn it, I was at it for 2 hours just thinking

"I just need to relearn to play this game. I just need to relearn how to play this game"

and then after 20 minutes of NOTHING in combat.....I gave up. Cause I could be using that 20 minutes doing something different!

Honestly, do they play this game? Have they ever sat down and play the game like an average person?

YOU WOULD THINK THAT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN NOTHING HAPPENS IN THE COMBAT SCREEN!

YOU WOULD THINK THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG WHEN YOU TRY TO BUILD SOMETHING AND THERE IS SHIT MISSING IN THE BUILD SCREEN!

I mean, FUCK!

If I try to turn something in like this....I WOULD LOSE MY JOB THAT VERY SAME DAY!

Also, this game refuses to be in fullscreen mode. Sadly, I didn't care about that cause I was too busy trying to love this game..

Like how all my past relationships I was just too busy trying to be in love with some soul sucking bitch of a leech..

....fuck....

Casually Hardcore on
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    I'm just upset that there is 0 documentation. I love what they've proposed about this game, but once you play it, you should be able to figure out what all the admiral abilities do. But I couldn't figure that out at all, and got myself so frusturated that I haven't tried the game since. Very sad.

League of Legends:Varega
    Basil wrote:
    Attempting to outfit my ships with PLACEHOLDER_SPINAL_B_ etc was a poor choice, also.

Apparently colony fleets that stick around to support new colonies won't return to home base by themselves and can not be recalled, perhaps because you wish to put more ships in the fleet, unless you first make them relocate to the new colony they are in orbit around, then relocate them to their home planet.

Colony fleets will support a new colony for however long it takes a colony to become self-sufficient as part of the 'colonize' mission. When that happens you'll be given an option to either finish the colonization process or have the fleet continue to support the colony for a boost to pop growth and infrastructure. When the Colonization is finished the fleet will return to base on its own.

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I had an awesome time shooting at the swarm, thank fuck my ships had green beamers because projectiles will never hit those wily fast assholes. I noticed my ships don't really fire unless you specificly target them though, which is hard because they're so fast, my ships were taking potshots here and there but with a deliberate attack order they gave out 5 times the ordenance.

Then I had spectres attack me and the game crashed after the auto resolve :|

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    Astns wrote:
    Basil wrote:

Colony fleets will support a new colony for however long it takes a colony to become self-sufficient as part of the 'colonize' mission. When that happens you'll be given an option to either finish the colonization process or have the fleet continue to support the colony for a boost to pop growth and infrastructure. When the Colonization is finished the fleet will return to base on its own.

Oh yeah, I got that bit, but mine sort of stuck around after the boost. It took some finagling to dislodge them.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    So. How does one go about getting a refund on steam?

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    very difficultly, usually you have to contact their support tea and bitch and moan, i tried to get a refund for from dust and they wouldn't give it to me =\

their policy is "no refunds'

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    casually hardcore. there is hope for the tactical screen. the first combat may get you fighting no one, but after that any of the squares that turned orange can be where you fleet starts. you right click on the star, and then pull the fleet you want to place from the left top side onto one of the orange (explored) squares. this makes for actual battles.

steam_sig.png
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Kerberos is this year's Stardock. A niche PC developer with a cult following that has annihilated the precious credibility it spent years building. I want to say I have hope for this game, but I thought the same thing about Elemental and last I checked it still sucked, over a year post release. Sigh.

Right now I just want to know where to look to find those loading screens with the character information.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I am sad. Here I was looking forward to picking this up later on this week....and now all i see is "its broken dont buy it". I guess i'll just pass on this one for now and pick up Stellar Impact instead for a space ship fix.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    I am really bummed that there isn't really any reason to play my favorite race (hivers) since with the mission system currently they won't fucking use gates which is supposed to be one of their key features.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So. How does one go about getting a refund on steam?

If you email Paradoxes support team you can apparently get a refund.

does anyone know how to make drones or is that automatic?

steam_sig.png
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'd contact developers or publishers if I were you. I think they'd be more likely to do it and more able.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    stopgap wrote:
    casually hardcore. there is hope for the tactical screen. the first combat may get you fighting no one, but after that any of the squares that turned orange can be where you fleet starts. you right click on the star, and then pull the fleet you want to place from the left top side onto one of the orange (explored) squares. this makes for actual battles.

They either need to speed up the tactical screen or make it automatic or something cause I sure as hell don't want to spend 40 minutes trying to find a fleet.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote:
    ...unless he did a runner with our monies this morning.

Man, that guy annoys me. He spends an awful lot of time on the forums talking shit to people who bought his game.

And it's pretty obvious that there are better things he could be doing.

Varega, don't really expect a manual- the first game never got one, you had to read a fan wiki that was based mostly on forum posts by the devs.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Makes me happy that I didn't buy the game yesterday, I was this close.

It was largely thanks to what I read on the original that kept me away, those issues like these didn't get fixed until they released the expansions!

edited October 2011
    I'm having fun but fuck is the game running slowly... that could be my computers fault but i doubt that its all that.

Good news is they have already released a minor update. I suspect they don't get the rest they expected :P

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    Astns wrote:
    If you email Paradoxes support team you can apparently get a refund.
    I'd contact developers or publishers if I were you. I think they'd be more likely to do it and more able.

Thanks, I'll do this. I'll post how it turns out.

Maybe when the game is on sale and is finished I'll try it.

• XenoZergieXenoZergie Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    There was a manual for the first game: it was a .pdf located in the install directories for the game. There ought to be something similar in your Steam folder for the game and if there isn't one currently, there should be one forthcoming.

Also, if anyone is to blame for the state of the release, it's Paradox. They have a history of pushing their dev companies to release early and buggy. If you're pissed off, it's understandable, but the devs are still working 20 hour days to get the game in a workable state.

I would personally give the game about a month before it's playable. The groundwork is definitely there, and in the meantime, there's plenty of other games out there at the moment.

XenoZergie on
This discussion has been closed.