As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] Space Australia: GAME. SET. MATCH.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    If we retrieve those copies of Going Rogue we'll have something to read as we quickly succumb to painful radiation death.

I am curious as to the contents, but not "let's all die from radiation" curious. Even if we send a few volunteers, would we not be concerned that the items they scavenge won't also be radioactive as well? Or is that one of those things we can decontaminate back at base? I guess if that's possible, I'd swing more towards B.

• Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I don't see why we care about individuals, over a destroyed pod

what kind of murderers are you

Cyrus the Virus does not approve, and would throw everyone in there if it got him more power. We need whatever's in there. Hidden pods? I guarantee there's important stuff in there.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    The pod is probably filled with broken radiation suits. :P

We might want to keep the cannon fodder redshirts volunteers alive so that they can be picked off one-by-one in the inevitable alien stalking/assault phase.

See: every sci-fi movie, ever.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Bah, the pod's sponsor was someone that was likely unable to count to 6. It would mirror the complete disaster of the implementation of this penal colony.
    To be completely frank, I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing but irradiated fuzzy toilet seat covers in that pod.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I've been thinking!: Or more, I realised that my "roll 3d6 versus numbers" mechanic had no way of resolving combat. Then I had a dream, and we'll be using the system that came to me there. Units will have "size" and "strength" and roll [size]d6 in combat, multiply it by strength and then you compare the numbers of both sides. You're aiming to get the bigger number to kill more enemies and lose fewer men. It also means that the level 1 soldiers are now a "Medium gang of armed prisoners [Size2, Strength 1]" and then the rest of your population will be a "Horde of prisoners with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size21, Strength0.1]". You can see that size is a fairly abstract and relative measure Size 1 is something like 100 colonists or 50 soldiers or 10 combat rovers. Sometimes you may even get mega units that are one entity but have size > 1, this lets me represent them being able to take a shitton of damage (damage that reduces their combat effectiveness. Improvised weapons will boost the strength of your general population, most useful if you're attacked at home so you can bring everybody to fight.

Turn 6

Decision: A - Leave the dangerous pod full of space radiation and go space home (following exploring Hex 2, and not deploying troops to protect Hex 1 in turn 5.5)

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.2k [2.5k cap]
    Food: 3.1k [(+0.8k -1.1k)/turn] [Rationing]
    Resources: 3.5k [+0/turn]
    Energy: 4/5
    Morale: Unhappy [-2]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.3k [0.6k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Xenofarm [+0.8k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.2k pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Nuclear microreactor [+5 Energy]

Empty Hex 1
    Can have any(?) Big structure

Empty Hex 2
    Crashed Pod 8

Forces
    Medium gang of armed prisoners [Size2, Strength 1]
    Horde of prisoners with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size21, Strength0.1]

Research
    Planetology II: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm construction], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips]

Summary
    The explorers turned their back on the mysterious Pod Eight and headed back to their indoor shanty town. The atmosphere was not so bleak on the way back, miraculously nobody had been sent to face their death inside the damage heap of radioactive wreckage. Not even Jimmy The Snitch! Speculation abounds as to what could be hiding in there. Robsitutes, death rays, piles of ancient literary masterpieces, useful exploration gear, private showers or maybe food that didn't taste quite so awful. The sky darkened as they walked, too early to be the onset of night, it was something worse. A storm was coming. The explorers picked up the pace.

Their empty-handed return receives mixed reactions from the general populace. What was the point of having a Canary if you didn't let him die in a dangerous risk when one presented itself? The storm hit an hour after the explorers had successfully decontaminated themselves. A wall of tiny sand particles battered against the outside of the pop. The thick cable providing power to the Xenofarm also kept them in contact, the workers were all sealed inside the processing plant.

Going outside would be possible, but not for long periods and not far. Even moving out to the farm seemed too much of a risk, the men were told to stay there. The storm was going to severely limit what could be done around New Botany Bay until it wore itself out. No exploration, no construction of new facilities. Hell, nothing to do but think about some of the problems you've been facing. Outside, the entire world was lost to the red soup.

[Population growth roll 1d6(-2) - 1d6. 1(-2) - 4. No growth again]

Map
    (Green numbers are for explored hexes, red numbers are exploration directions.)

Turn6.png

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter and a number)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Build More Housing [+0.5k population cap, needs 1 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy, costs 1k resources]
    D - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources]
    E - Build Xenofarm in Hex 1 [+0.8k food per turn, needs 1 energy, needs 200 population to work, costs 1500 resources, is Big]

F - Research Planetology [Narcotic uses of Xenobotany]
    G - Research Industry [Transport - Rovers for better exploration]
    H - Research Fundamental Science [Communication problems]
    I - Research Fundamental Science [Solar Array problems]
    J - Research Military [Improvised Weapons]

1) Let the Jackeroos take shelter from the storm [0.4k rather than 0.8k food production next turn]
    2) Demand they farm on despite the risks! [Difficulty 12, full food production]

[Overcoming radiation is somewhere in the fundamental science avenue]

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    We can build a second farm after this storm dies down, lets let the poor workers take shelter. Better .4k production then 0.

I am torn between drugs and power as the next goal. I am kinda glad we have all that glorious fungus protecting us from the sand storm now!

I-1

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    An opportune time to fix this communications silliness. H1

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011

1) Let the Jackeroos take shelter from the storm [0.4k rather than 0.8k food production next turn]

Ugh. It's going to hurt, but we've got plenty left of food left. And we have time to stabilize the food situation.

Of course, I want to research the thing that lets us explore better and gets us closer to rad suits.

And just think about what all the other pods could be saying about us behind our back!

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    Yeah, throwing in my hat for H1 as well.

We must get our rad suits so we can go back for the robstitutes death rays robstitutes useful exploration gear.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    G, H, and I are all good, but I think H1 is best.

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    H1!

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I-1
    We need to get that solar tech running before someone gets pissy and decides to cut up our giant cable!

Flarne on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    I-1

since we apperently "care" about our people now, we have to keep them alive.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H1

Sorriest sack of cutthroats i've ever had the displeasure of working with

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Don't forget that there's a good amount of regular settlers in the mix, it ain't all convicts.

Yet.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    H - 1

Although if this storm persists we might want to get the jackaroos back to work and research some narcotics -- just to keep everyone fed and docile.

• Options
    Don't forget that there's a good amount of regular settlers in the mix, it ain't all convicts.

Yet.

Listen, our court system works well. "Everyone is guilty until proven innocent" is our motto. Therefore everyone who hasn't gone through a trail is desginated as "convict". Those who are judged innocent are suspects until more evidence is found/made up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

building consensus/Legion

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I-1

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    As for sacrificing dudes the biggest problem with that is that we suck ass at breeding. So we might as well hold on to what we have.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    H-1

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    H-1!!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I 2
    We're more likely to come to understand radiation from solar array technology than communications, and I can't think of a convict that I've ever truly desired to talk with.

I don't want to deal with the hungry and space crazed. We're likely to lose more folks from a shortage than from the storm.

If anything, it will put idle hands to work. We can do it carefully, and send multiple shifts of people to work in short bursts.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    We could make a game of it.
    Whoever stays out in the storm the longest, gets extra food on his plate.
    Storm Chicken could become a traditon

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I-1

Like I've been saying, this whole time, you Luddite mentality electricists!

• Options
    We could make a game of it.
    Whoever stays out in the storm the longest, gets extra food on his plate.
    Storm Chicken could become a traditon

This man has good ideas

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Ok, you louts lets get this going!

H-1

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Bit of a landslide there. Also, I'm trying to avoid going into accuracies below 0.1k, where I need to, I'll round to the nearest 0.1k.

Turn 7

Decision: H 1 - Try to figure out what is going wrong with your communication systems and leave the Jackeroos alone.

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.3k [2.5k cap]
    Food: 2.3k [(+0.8k -1.2k)/turn] [Rationing] [Storm halves farm yield]
    Resources: 3.5k [+0/turn]
    Energy: 4/5
    Morale: Unhappy [-2]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.2k [0.4k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Xenofarm [+0.8k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.2k pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Nuclear microreactor [+5 Energy]

Empty Hex 1
    Can have any(?) Big structure

Empty Hex 2
    Crashed Pod Eight

Forces
    Medium gang of armed prisoners [Size2, Strength 1]
    Horde of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size21, Strength0.1]

Research
    Planetology II: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm construction], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips]
    Fundamental Science I: Basic Planet Electromagnetics [allows communication via targeted comm lasers]

Summary
    The sound of the sand and dust was constant. Day and night. Anywhere in the Pod Six. There was no escaping it. Only a few venture outside, there was really nothing to be done. Production from the Xenofarm was down to what happened to be sitting inside the processing centre ready to go. The jackeroos gave up on the second day to join the masses.

Surprisingly there was no real rise in cabin fever. The people had become acclimatised to spending most of their life in the filthy labyrinthine interior of the pod. The endless sound was disturbing, but there was no notable rise in mysterious bodies being found (or people simply vanishing). Possibly some of this was attributable to the new craze - Storm Chicken. The bravest members of the colony competed to stay outside for the longest in the howling winds and abrasive dust, betting their rations on winning. It rapidly overtook murderball as the defacto sport of New Botany Bay.

The growing normality even manifested in population of New Botany Bay swelling slightly. The narrow corridors had more children playing in them, and the few kids that had been among of the colonists (Strangeways was not a youth detention centre) had grown up. The new mouths strained food a bit further.

[Population growth roll, +2 bonus to the roll from being stuck inside with nothing better to do. 1d6(-2+2) - 1d6. 3 - 2. 0.1k new second generation convicts join the labour force]

A few of the Sparkies ventured out from time to time, braving the storm to try and solve the fundamental mysteries of the universe. Or at least of this particular planet. All wireless commlinks and even short-range radios were subject to overpowering interference. While the external noise was always present, it was far from constant, making it impossible to simply filter for. A few of the science team ventured as far as they dared from the pod, recording how the interference fluctuated with position. Some were convinced there was a pattern. Others were sure it was random. The majority agreed that it came from the upper atmosphere. It would even explain the failure of the LNS to communicate if all of its signals were being blocked.

Still, knowing that it was "just an inherent property of this world" was not a solution. Lasers, however, were. Lasers were always the answer. A stream of photons wouldn't be affected by the field, and so if a large receiver dish was mounted on the top of Pod Six then explorers in the general vicinity could share information by carefully aiming pulses of infra-red light. The "solution" was far from complete. The communication would be a one-way data dump, would require taking up position on the high ground and carefully aligning the laser itself. It also had range limited by beam collimation and line of sight. A laser, tripod and encoding could be collected into a backpack. Demanding that explorers check in every few hours with their latest map data and information would prevent failed expeditions into the unknown being worthless, however.

[Comm laser can only work in the hexes adjacent to those you've got a building in, but they mean that even if the entire team die you'll still get some information back at the pod.]

The new information sends flurries of excitement through the Sparkies. They drone on endlessly about their findings. Groups of them rove, cornering the weak and subjecting them to hour long seminars on their latest theories about how the LNS might be contacted. It was a bleak time. A bleak time which ended only when the storm finally subsided. Outside was a mess, but there was no real damage. Some of the fungus looked to have been stripped from the colony, but it was now covered with sand. It wouldn't make much difference to the camoflague.

Worse, a standard stock taking exercises revealed that a third of the frozen bodies have vanished. Most people suspect the Cannibals of having butchered the dead and then either eaten them or used the meat on the healthy black market inside New Botany Bay. The people demand justice for the dead. Or a cut of the action

Map
    No change from turn 6

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter and a number)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Build More Housing [+0.5k population cap, needs 1 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy, costs 1k resources]
    D - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources]
    E - Build Xenofarm in Hex 1 [+0.8k food per turn, needs 1 energy, needs 200 population to work, costs 1500 resources, is Big]
    F - Research Planetology [Narcotic uses of Xenobotany]
    G - Research Industry [Transport - Rovers for better exploration]
    H - Research Fundamental Science [Radioactivity Shielding]
    I - Research Fundamental Science [Solar Array problems]
    J - Research Military [Improvised Weapons]

1) Investigate the missing bodies to find who is responsible and what happened[Difficulty 14]
    2) Hold the cannibals responsible and have their leader, Jimmy "Teeth" Aldridge, publicly executed
    3) Claim responsibility for the missing bodies, stating that the dead were providing much needed protein for the colony. It's only a matter of time before the rest vanish afterall [Eat the bodies, +0.4k food]
    4) Write it off as "just one of those things" and bury the rest of dead, giving the friends of family of the deceased some closure.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Obviously we should advance our studies of planetolog- bwahahahaha. Yeah, right.

I-1, to get our rad suits and because criminals playing cops to find criminals is awesome.

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Hand me another one O them Kidneyes, ok boys sorry to say but man is we a tasty bunch!

E-3

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    E-1We need to get self sufficient when it comes to food.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    E -1 Let's make sure that they aren't wandering the air ducts before we just ignore this problem.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    E-3!

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    E-1

Egos on
  • Options
    E - 1

Now as we care about our citizen, let's provide them with food and find any persons who eat the flesh of their own citizens!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    E-1

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    E 1

Check to see if we forgot to lock the cellar.

And great that Storm Chicken is becoming our national sport; it's a shame though, we almost had a good murderball league set up!

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I still want to go back and investigate that pod, so H-1

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    E-3