As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets talk Horror Movies!

14567810»

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    DanHibiki wrote:
    Magus` wrote:
    I've heard Cronos was good and it's on Netflix streaming, but the transfer is all fucked up and jittery. I can't watch it.

Also, I've seen most of those.
    Cronos is great. It's a pretty unique vampire movie and it's got Pearlman in it so, go find a watchable version when you can.

Yeah, that's what I heard so it annoys me that it hasn't been fixed in over a year.

If you're talking about what I think you are, that's just how the film is shot.

It put me off for the first five minutes or so, but I ended up kinda liking the effect.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    It's recorded at like 12 FPS? Why? D:

• Options
    IMDB says the DVD isn't like that and it's only an issue on Netflix.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Godfather wrote:
    I gotta say, I've discovered a bit of a problem with going through my horror-movie binge all throughout this month, and that's the fact that it sort of desensitized the effect scares have on me. In the beginning I would generally get scared from these flicks, then creeped out; now it's more or less nothing more than a rise every once-in-a-while.

I especially notice this during viewings of classic horror movies; movies like The Exorcist, Alien and The Thing didn't actually scare me at all. I thought they were fantastic movies on their own rights, but outside of the crab walk scene in The Exorcist and the blood jump scene in The Thing, those three movies didn't terrify me so much.
    The Exorcist scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it during the 2000 re-release.

I think Alien and the Thing strive to make you tense more than scared. I guess it is a fine line but that is how i feel.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    I'm watching The House of the Devil on Netflix. They've been pretty good at mimicking the feel of a 1970/80s horror movie.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Hahaha, Trick r Treat was great! I like how interconnected everything was!

• Options
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Horror movies are one area where my blinders turn on and I can accept almost anything. The only time I ever will stop a horror movie before its done is if its a really poorly done indie film (which seem to be popping up more and more on netflix) and thats usually only because I can't stand the film quality.

I usually watch a lot of horror movies, but its ramped up since its been the season of scaring. My current obsession is handcam/selfshot or scare-umentary styles. I just watched Megan Is Missing on netflix instantstream tonight. Didn't hate it, but I'd assume many in the thread would have problems with the acting or slow development. Just seemed really plausible to me, which always makes things scarier.

On remakes, my favorite is The Hills Have Eyes. Not my favorite horror movie, but if someone asks me to show them a scary movie? I pick this one. The first half will unsettle just about anybody.

And finally a recommendation! I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but the scare-umentary The Poughkeepsie Tapes really did it for me. The found footage is so creepy, and its broken up by discussion on the tapes and the killer and his victims. The trailer really doesn't do it justice. If you want to read the synopsis on wiki, feel free. But if you're at all interested, don't read past the name Cheryl Dempsey.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdjFcoe2950

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The Poughkeepsie Tapes - The horror movie that no one ever seems to have seen. I swear this doesn't exist in a physical medium. Been wanting to check it out but I just can't seem to find it anywhere. If there is a link to where I could legally watch/aquire it be great. Netflix doesn't seem to carry it.

• Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to see it too, but it doesn't appear to be available on either Netflix or Blockbuster (which has, in my experience, a slightly different selection from Netflix) delivery. It looks really creepy, and I've seen scenes here and there, but just don't know how to watch the whole thing!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Uh, this is kind of a tangent, but have any of you played the Sega CD horror/camp/FMV game Night Trap?

Even taken as a film, it's still genuinely hilarious. The guy who plays Victor Martin is awesome.

Homemade cherry popsicles!

nighttrap-pc-14.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    I had a movie night with friends on campus. We watched some movies in a conference room using a projector. We watched The Shining, which I've seen so many times, but something about it being on a larger screen, in the dark, uninterrupted or cut like it is on TV, it was actually scary. I know that movie inside out and have never been scared by it, but it was really creepy in this setting.

• Options
    Since I had forgotten how impossible it is for most people to SEE the Poughkeepsie Tapes, I figured I'd better come up with another recommendation.

Three, in fact. The Omen, The Good Son, and The Orphan. As you can guess, they are all pretty similar.
    The Omen is a classic and if you haven't seen it, you know the story. I like both the original and the remake. I figured most here would rather see the original, but my soft spot for Julia Stiles leans me towards the remake.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqworUizlLk&feature=related

The Good Son is the story of a young boy, Elijah Wood, who is sent to live with his relatives while his dad is away on business. There he meets his cousin, played by Macaulay Culkin, who is not the perfect little angel his parents think of him as.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4P-VgcM4s

The Orphan is my favorite of the three, but that may just be because it is the newest and I haven't seen it a dozen times.A family adopts an abused girl from Russia who has many strange quirks and is far more intelligent than she should be.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywOPNNii9w

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    IMDB says the DVD isn't like that and it's only an issue on Netflix.

oh dang

well now I feel silly for sitting through it. Enjoying it, even!

First thing I looked up when I was watching it said that it was intentional so I just went with it

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I finished Event Horizon blu ray. SO GOOD.

Oh pissing blimey, there's JAM coming out of the walls! - Yatzhee reviewing Amnesia.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Watching Trick r Treat right now. Definitely not scary but it is pretty entertaining.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Heh, all this talk about Trick r Treat and it turns out it's actually airing on TV here tonight.
    Definitely gonna watch it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I watched the descent last night, I did not think it was scary

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Anyone here old enough to remember watching Jurassic Park in the movie theaters? The T-Rex attack during the hurricane - on the big screen - was a magical kind of scary.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Anyone here old enough to remember watching Jurassic Park in the movie theaters? The T-Rex attack during the hurricane - on the big screen - was a magical kind of scary.

Yeah, I was 15 when it came out I think. It's a brilliant thriller.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    "Where's the goat?"

*plop*

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    T-Rex was scary. Velociraptors and Dilophosaurus (spitter dino) were nightmare inducing.

• Options
    .::IBA::.ZardoZ.::IBA::.ZardoZ dual What? TexasRegistered User regular
    Please say that someone mentioned Event Horizon!

Just dusted my copy off for my yearly watch. :)

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Zombie Apocalypse was surprisingly watchable.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Karoz wrote:
    T-Rex was scary. Velociraptors and Dilophosaurus (spitter dino) were nightmare inducing.

My mother almost broke her arm in the sequel.

She had her arm wrapped around her chair arm in some odd fashion when the velociraptors were digging into the shed. The family is about the escape the other side and the smartass raptor sticks his head in and everyone screamed really fucking loud and my mom jumped in her seat still latched to her chair.

I'm depressed Jurassic Park 3 is like a cartoon episode of itself. I hated it since I was little. Fuck that piece of bile.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Well, Trick r Treat wasn't exactly scary..but it was good! Really good.

So many awesome characters!
    Also, if it wasn't for TV Tropes I never would've known that Kreeg was
    the bus driver.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote:
    Well, Trick r Treat wasn't exactly scary..but it was good! Really good.

So many awesome characters!
    Also, if it wasn't for TV Tropes I never would've known that Kreeg was
    the bus driver.

Yeah, this is the same reaction I got from Trick r Treat as well.

Not scary at all, but highly entertaining! Kind of like Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness

• Options
    Yeah it's more black comedy than horror. Great movie, regardless.

• Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    So I started up The Crazies just now. 8 minutes in. 72% on Rotten Tomatoes so I figure it will be half decent. Has anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:

It's more freaky when you realize that it's a real person walking down the stairs like that. God damn it, the back aint suppose to bend like that!

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    kfrooster wrote:
    So I started up The Crazies just now. 8 minutes in. 72% on Rotten Tomatoes so I figure it will be half decent. Has anyone else watched it? Thoughts?

It was pretty good. It's basically a zombie movie where the zombies can talk.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    kfrooster wrote:

It's good. I never saw the original Romero film and can't say how the remake compares, but it's enjoyable as one of those zombie movies that don't actually have real zombies, like 28 Days Later.

• Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    The Crazies was quite good! Their situation was so shitty that I had to just laugh at one point due to their misfortunes. Definitely some crazy tense moments as well. Regarding the ending though.
    Are there conventional warheads that could make a huge explosion like that?

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    kfrooster wrote:
    The Crazies was quite good! Their situation was so shitty that I had to just laugh at one point due to their misfortunes. Definitely some crazy tense moments as well. Regarding the ending though.
    Are there conventional warheads that could make a huge explosion like that?
    I don't really remember if they said what type it was, but I doubt it. The biggest conventional warhead is the MOAB, which only has 1/1000 of the power of the A-Bomb at Hiroshima.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Been watching a lot of horror films recently, but I'd like to toss out a thanks to whoever recommended "Home Movie" if it was in this thread. Super creepy and tense. Plus it fit my love of Scary Kid and Found Footage movies.

Word of warning: Don't watch the trailer. It gives away far too much. The whole point of the movie is the descent and the trailer pretty much shows you the entire movie in the minute and a half. The movie is told through the home videos of a family. Slowly but surely, you begin to see the two children may hide a darker side than their parents are willing to admit.

The best scene (Serious spoilers inside)
    The mom(psychiatrist) starts to medicate the children. The dad (pastor) exorcises the house and children. In the next home movie that is played, everything seems perfect. The children are bright and cheery, as opposed to dark and ominous as they have previously appeared. They are speaking some of their first lines of the movie. They even invited over a child they had recently savagely attacked (by biting) to apologize and make friends.

The dad goes upstairs and sees them playing and watching some cartoon on their little TV. Short conversation to display the happiness/normalness and he goes downstairs. He goes back upstairs to find the window open and the TV playing an all too familiar clip of blurry gore. Something is wrong. He goes to their play fort in the backyard, which had previously been "off limits to parents." Inside, he finds the place covered with dead things and satanic/horrific drawings. The friend is tied to a table and the kids have begun eating him.

Not only are the events tense, but the radical change in the children really sells it. Was not expecting the change back to be so sudden or shocking. Then the climax of the movie follows and shit gets real.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I for one am grateful that I managed to find a Blockbuster Video around my neighborhood that's still open. If it wasn't for that I doubt I'd have been able to watch even at least half of these movies.

• Options
    edited October 2011

It's more freaky when you realize that it's a real person walking down the stairs like that. God damn it, the back aint suppose to bend like that!

I can so totally do that. I'm such a contortionist, and every morning of military PT, I get stares or make the Captain wanna puke because I'm doing something gross yet I can't feel a thing.

Kick up to my head like in the movies, pull my arms so far over my head that I can make my left elbow touch my right shoulder, if my hands were cuffed behind me I could get them over my head and in front of me and not feel a thing and then choke a bitch.

Cantido on