As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Space Australia: GAME. SET. MATCH.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I will use this random double-post to mention how awesome Jam Warrior's story below is.

blahmcblah on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    F!

Anialos on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I

No, you fools! We're so close!

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Don't you dare destroy my rover-dreams now Cap!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Irate Mac was a road warrior. At least in his head. Ever since his first joyride as a troubled teen he'd been mad for the speed. The thrill of of the blurring scenery. The feeling of only just being in control of where your wheels were headed. The pure adrenaline rush of taking on the law in a high speed death race with little thought to the consequences beyond the knowledge that you could never take that foot off the accelerator for anything. When he'd finally been scraped off the road and incarcerated his life had ended. Everything was so slow, so dull, so grey, so lifeless. Shipping him off on a colony ship? Sure, whatever, who cares. Even the crash had had little impact on his sullen shell.

Now he hears talk of some kind of vehicles being built here? Surely they'll need test pilots right? With the first glint of excitement and life his eyes for some time, Mac hurried off to find the workshops. He'd made a few like minded friends here inside and with their help in leaning on the right people he was sure he could get himself to the centre of this research program. Let the mechanics deal with the worky bits but he had a few ideas of his own to add to the proto vehicles. He was going to make sure Space Australia would be riding out in style.

Mac's vision for the rovers:
    buggy06a.jpg

Less Orks racing around sand dunes, more space convicts racing around fungal drifts and craters, but you get the idea.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Listen, road warriors! I know your desire for carbased destruction is reaching critical mass, be assured that we'll go for the rovers straight after getting the pod. But, the Pod gives us meaning, it gives us direction. Without the pod we'll be soulless husks who in the end will be destroyed by whatever is out there!

AFTER GETTING THE POD, WE'LL GET THE BADDEST GANG OF ROAD WARRIORS TO STORM THE LAND AND DO CRAZY FLIPS!

steam_sig.png
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    F
    I've been convinced of the need for rovers.

edit: late, double post, with a time stamp before the post above it. This doesn't bode well.

Darian on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I make that a win for the rovers by a single vote.

Turn 10

Decision: F - Research Driving Safely

Overview: Glorious Space Australia
    Population: 2.3k [2.5k cap]
    Food: 3.5k [(+1.6k -1.2k)/turn] [Rationing]
    Resources: 1.5k [+0/turn]
    Energy: 3/5
    Morale: Unhappy [-2]
    Frozen Dead People : 0.2k [0.4k of food]

Pod Six Colony: New Botany Bay
    Xenofarm [+0.8k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.2k pop workers, Big]
    Crashed Pod [2.5k Housing, no energy requirement]
    Nuclear microreactor [+5 Energy]

Hex 1 (Occupied)
    Xenofarm [+0.8k food per turn, -1 energy, 0.2k pop workers, Big]

Hex 2 (Unoccupied)
    Crashed Pod Eight

Forces
    NBB
    Small gang of armed prisoners [Size1, Strength 1]
    Horde of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size20, Strength0.1]

Hex 1
    Small gang of armed prisoners [Size1, Strength 1]
    Horde of convicts and colonists with sharpened toothbrushes and screwdrivers [Size2, Strength0.1]

Research
    Planetology II: Basic Xenobotany [allows Xenofarm construction], Anti-fungal Design [Removes fungus problems on short trips]
    Fundamental Science I: Basic Planet Electromagnetics [allows communication via targeted comm lasers], Radioactivity Safety Protocols [Removes problems of radioactivity for short exposures in small groups]
    Industry I: Basic Transportation [Allows rovers, double exploration yield]

Summary
    The leadership were divided. Half wanted to rush back to Pod Eight and drag back the inevitable prizes from within, the other half wanted to be road warriors having been subjected to the limited entertainment supply (which mainly featured old 2D classics of Mel Gibson the First). Fortunately, Angry Bruce was a man of action, not a man of counting votes and he was as big a fan of the opportunity to drive around in the frozen desert outside.

Apparently the work would also help out in numerous other ways, moving supplies from the xenofarms would take fewer trips, the explorers could easily carry heavy equipment with them (adding the complement of rad suits to the standard load out) and letting them bring even more supplies back.

Each rover was different in the end, but it was a decent fleet of improvised vehicles. The range was impressive: boxy cubes with comically over-sized wheels across to go-kart like buggies pulling carts behind them. Each was primarily designed with transportation in mind and sadly this manifested in very poor performance. Even with the largest batteries they managed around 10km/h when unloaded and if they were filled they'd barely break walking pace.
    [0.5k resources are spent alongside the research to sort out a fleet of supply vehicles]

Right now the military applications were limited. They could lug along heavy guns, but the dream of mounting some kind of gatling laser on the back of one and driving around blowing evil space pyramids out of the sky was still a distant one. The rovers needed better batteries, or historic engines using fossil fuels to really get enough speed to make them useful in a battle.

[Population growth roll 1d6(-2) - 1d6. 3(-2) - 4. No growth]

Map
    (no change)

Decision Time
    (Choose a letter)

A - Explore a hex [see the map, give a direction]
    B - Build More Housing [+0.5k population cap, needs 1 energy, costs 0.5k resources]
    C - Build Hydroponics Bay [+0.5k food per turn, needs 2 energy, costs 1k resources]
    D - Build Labs [needs 4 energy, costs 3k resources] NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES
    E - Research Planetology [Narcotic uses of Xenobotany]
    F - Research Industry [Mining]
    G - Research Fundamental Science [Solar Array problems]
    H - Research Military [Improvised Weapons]
    I - Head back to Pod Eight

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    I!

l

Now, as we got bitching road warriors, can we please get to the pod?

steam_sig.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I

I! Let's open the pod and drag back anything we find with our fantastic new rovers.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Haha, you wanted road warriors, we got Rascal scooters. :P

Kidding aside, good call for utility vehicles. Now its time to head back to Pod 8, so I it is!

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I will boldly predict a landslide for I

• TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    Is there even any question?

I

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    There can be only I

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I WANT TO OPEN MY PRESENTS!

I

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I

DRILL BABY DRILL!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tmoiy wrote:

Maybe we'll see a sudden upswing in voting for building some proper houses!

Edit: Sadly, it'll be the morning before I can post an update!

Mojo_Jojo on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking F. We're kinda getting low on resources...

But...but...there might be presents!

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I then G then F!

But first I!

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    edited October 2011
    As Irate Mac trundled over the landscape at a sedate pace, a wide grin was plastered across his face. He couldn't hear the jokes of the people behind him on the transport as his head was filled with the imaginary roar of engines and he'd occasionally add his own sound effects where there were none from the silent electric engine.

'RRRrrrrrrEEEeeeee! Vroom!

It was a slow start but it was a start. Driving duty involving protracted periods of time outside in the harsh conditions meant it had been easy for he and his comrades to secure their desired positions. The majority of the work was short hauling duty but he looked forward to the longer trips out of Botany Bay like today. He'd been careful to load the back of the buggy really unevenly and there was good long incline he'd seen coming up where he hoped he could just get enough speed for the world's slowest and most sedate wheelie!

I

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Tmoiy wrote:

Maybe we'll see a sudden upswing in voting for building some proper houses!

Houses? Phaw! In my day people slept on the rocks and put a rock on themselves for a blanket. You had to learn how to snore really loudly to scare away any predators that tried to sneakattack you and if they did, you had to defend yourself! While sleeping!

Kids today... demand too many comforts.

steam_sig.png
    Jam Warrior you are making all my dreams come true.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I, also mining tech, then solar panels... then a research lab.

Looks like the sparkies win, for now.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited November 2011
    I am shocked at the landslide in votes. What ever happened to the Space Australian dream of taking alien drugs?

Also, I'm loving the tales of Irate Mac, Jam.

Turn 10.5

Decision: I - Pod Pod Pod

Summary
    With the rovers able to carry the bulk of the gear and maps having been made from the previous trip out to Pod Eight the going was relatively easily. Again, there are a few times when the map bears no damn relation to the actual terrain, at some point it was going to be necessary to actually agree on some kind of cartography standards, or just build some doohicky to automatically map new regions of the planet.

This time, the expedition is rather less rag tag. An uninformed observer might even believe that these were some kind of enthusiastic rambling hobbyists rather than a motley gang of hardened criminals mixed with a former civilians from Earth. Arriving back at the crater, a small team offloaded the comm laser and scrambled up to the nearest suitable spot, aiming the laser back in the general direction of the nearest xenofarm to try and send the first report back. Meanwhile, the ten burly men chosen to actually venture inside the wrecked pod donned their suits.

They rolled down the side of the crater in three of the rovers, making the most use of their new tools. Parking up just outside a large rend in the hull of the crashed pod, they ventured inside. One of their rovers was equipped with its own comm laser and receiver dish, allowing the team to send messages without climbing back out of the crater. Their suitlamps illuminated the interior briefly but quickly faded leaving the rest of the team standing outside squinting down for signs of life.

[Exploration roll, difficulty 11. It's a 10. Failure.]

This pod had crashed much harder than Pod Six. Almost everything had been destroyed, it was difficult enough even recognising what the various sections had once been. Even stranger was the feeling that this place had already been plundered for the choice items. Here and there, the group stopped and poked around, primarily concerned with trying to extract data cores from computer clusters. Every one that they find is damaged, but they pocket them regardless. Perhaps the information could be recovered somehow.

One crushed chamber contained a pair of suspended animation pods, both intact but both open and empty. It was a scene that the explorers came across a few more times, the bulkheads for these rooms must have been heavily reinforced. Each bears a serial number, but no names, just like on Pod Six. The only real hope was extracting a passenger manifest from one of the dozens of damaged datacores.

Continuing on to the centre, the explorers find a large pod section that has survived almost unscathed. A huge set of blast doors block the only entrance, however. They've been stencilled in huge block capitals "HRH - Nexus". Beside the doors a small screen flickers uncertainly, this section still had power but the terminal was damaged beyond use.

Switching tactics, the group followed their Geiger counters towards the damaged reactor. It was not difficult to find. Lights above pulsed and sparked, and strange gases vented from broken pipelines. It was fortunate that the damage had been so limited, any more and the reactor could have gone super critical and detonated like a low-yield nuke. Odds on it would have killed most of the survivors from Pod Six instantly and left the rest to a much slower end of the coming weeks. Still, thank God for small favours. Some of the control systems were even still active. Tapping away at various panels a few things became clear: The mysterious core of the pod was in lockdown due to the radiation levels and the very same region was drawing considerable amounts of power.

Trekking back to their rover, the explorers shared the news and asked for instructions.

What will the explorers do!?

A - Return to New Botany Bay
    B - Recover the reactor and then return [No check needed, you'll be able to combine it with the existing reactor for a small energy boost. Whatever the "HRH - Nexus" is, it won't have power if/when you return]
    C - Recover the reactor and then try to force the "HRH -Nexus" blast doors [As above, then difficulty 12. Again you'll have unplugged the Nexus]
    D - Juryrig some reactor repairs/shielding to overcome the lockdown, and then investigate the still powered Nexus[Difficulty 10, but failure could be really, really bad]

Mojo_Jojo on
    C.

Nukes are bad, yo'.

• Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    D

Whats a little risk? Lets see whats in here.

edited November 2011
    D

Whats a little risk? Lets see whats in here.

"Low yield nuke" and "A Little Risk" should never be interchangeable in a sentence.

Unless you're playing RIFTS.

Capfalcon on
    C - Recover the reactor and then try to force the "HRH -Nexus" blast doors [As above, then difficulty 12. Again you'll have unplugged the Nexus]

Moar power!

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    C!

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    D

No risk, no reward! What's a small nuke between friends, anyway

D

High risk, high reward. Our citizens demand nothing else!

steam_sig.png
    D

No guts no glory! Don't want to find something awesome in there that we've just knackered by killing the power.

Plus we're at two successes for five (published) dice checks. My rudimentary understanding of probability says we're 100% guaranteed to succeed this time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular

Plus we're at two successes for five (published) dice checks. My rudimentary understanding of probability says we're 100% guaranteed to succeed this time.

D

I have been assured by Irate Mac that we literally cannot fail this test.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    C

Whoever's in whatever that is knew what they were getting into.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    D

Obviously its so well sealed because they wanted to make sure it was safe for us when we found it. So we should investigate it! Dissenters get airlock'd.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Also Mojo do you want my dice, they appear to be pretty lucky

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen