As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    1631-1637
    In the middle of the war with Great Britian the nobles sent a delegation to attempt to force the king to recognize their ancient rights to govern their land how they pleased. Busy with the war, Isaac summarily dismissed them.

EU3_34.jpg

The first Frankish conquest outside of their homeland had slowly been turned into a Frankish province in every way except the climate, the native Berber people having adopted Frankish culture. The first of many.

EU3_35.jpg

In mid 1635 the war was going excellently. All of the British colonies had been occupied, yet the British king refused to parley. This would not do. The British cowered behind their large fleets while taking back islands scattered in the ocean.

EU3_36-1.jpg

A nobleman donated a large quantity of gold to the treasury, which was immediately put to good use constructing fortifications in our homeland.

EU3_37.jpg

Spies were sent to infiltrate the British government, with orders to spy on troop movements. It took several attempts but we did infiltrate their government.

EU3_38.jpg

Our spies report that the Scottish lands are willing and ready to rise up against the British, if encouraged. We provide some funding and promises of independence to get a small army to raise up.

EU3_39.jpg
    EU3_41.jpg

From the far east, it seems as if the Zenatan sultan let his country get ruled by the much smaller Yemen.

EU3_40.jpg

Our invasion of the British coast leads to a small victory against one of their fleets!

EU3_42.jpg

Unexpectedly, the royal heir passed away at the end of June. This was the last blow Isaac could take, already being at such an old age, after losing his firstborn the king sunk into a deep depression and wasted away over the next week.

EU3_43.jpg

As Thomas is just a babe, a ruling council formed from the nobility has been established to guide him until he is old enough to rule.
    The King is dead. Long live the King!

EU3_45.jpg

Phyphor on
    The war with the British is going... quite well. You'll have more troops on the Isles than they do and they're gaining like 0.2 war exhaustion per month.

I forgot to put land maintenance back to 100 when I invaded, so um don't forget that.

We're 5-7 years out from the next NI, was hoping to live a bit longer

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Still no good admin heir. I'll figure out who if anyone should be playing this when I get home tomorrow and I am maybe awake.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    The regency council is ADM 6 though! Closer than we've had for a while

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote:
    He probably confused the Irish Munster for the other one which we do need

Oh. Yeah - that would be it. :D

OK, no really, I'm alive again. Let's have some volunteers.

Scandinavia shouldn't be able to form Denmark, Rex.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Supposedly my internet will be installed on Friday, so I'll try to get an update out on Saturday...including a fix for your anti-Denmark sentiment. How can I be writing things without the internet? Magic. Also rampant unsecured wireless on a laptop.

Of course, depending on how the NLCS goes there may be more or less time to kill throughout the week.

And I might I be amiss in suggesting that you take the reigns over the Regency Council and then (hopefully) hand it off to an interested party once the heir comes of age.

Maybe, but I have the ALCS to worry about.

edited October 2011
    I'd love to step in and help, but I have an almost-brand-new 3-week old devouring any and all free-time these days. :D

EDIT: So, I guess what I mean is that I'm already playing a Regency Council game.

Elvenshae on
    Bueller?

• starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    My guess given his last post is that it was this Friday and we won't see anything till this coming Monday. Or something.

• ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    Okay after about three re-installs I've finally beaten EU3 into submission, so I should be good to take a go if needed.

steam_sig.png
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I'd love to step in as well, but I've only got this via steam (hence Divine Wind, etc)... Good luck though. Having fun following it.

I have it via steam but never bought divine wind.

Zedar wrote:
    Okay after about three re-installs I've finally beaten EU3 into submission, so I should be good to take a go if needed.

Take it.

Yes, go for it! We need more people!

• LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    I am totally swamped with midterms right now. I might be available for another go in a few weeks, though, we'll see!

Do I just play the regency council or through the actual king as well?

steam_sig.png
    Might as well do both

Yeah, play until that king dies.

The Regency Part 1 (1637 - 1642)
    The war with Britain was continued by the regent, and went entirely in Vermandois's favour. England was steadily beaten back and their allies made shameful peaces to escape similar defeat. Eventually Britain offers to surrender huge tracts of land in exchange for peace, but the council seeks to weaken Britains continental presence rather than their colonial empire.

1_peace_terms.jpg
    2_peace_terms.jpg

Other nations tried to involve us in their own petty wars, but the council had to look out for the future of Vermandois and it's young king, other nations could deal with their own problems.

1_ferrara.jpg2_ferrara.jpg

Some consolidation takes place in the lesser nations to the east, but this is no business of ours. Vermandois itself is troubles by spreading contagion which must take priority.
    1_annex.jpg2_annex.jpg[img][/img]3_annex.jpg
    1_disease.jpg2_disease.jpg

Some of the fringe cultures are no longer considered fashionable in the court, and are subsequently shunned through the nation.
    1_culture.jpg

With an excess of money pouring into the coffers in these peaceful times, the council decides to better defend the borders of our realm. A line of mighty fortresses is build along our continental borders to protect against our warlike neighbours.
    1_fort.jpg

Let us never forget what we are fighting for: Vermandois has a glorious history and is the cultural center of Europe.
    1_event.jpg

Unfortunately our inward looking policy must come to an end as Bohemia flexes its muscles, and we feel obliged to prevent it obtaining complete hegemony in eastern Europe.
    1_war.jpg

Other nations take advantage of our Bohemian engagement to pursue an expansionist agenda while we are in no position to defend our allies.
    1_austria.jpg

The war starts off well, but we don't arrive in time to save Silesia from being mostly absorbed into Bohemia. A series of military setbacks reinforce the council's original impressions that military expeditions are a bad idea. We withdraw from the conflict and recommit to our policy of a defensive foreign policy until the king is of an age to make his own decisions.
    1_loss.jpg
    2_loss.jpg
    3_loss.jpg

I seem to have accidentally roleplayed an incompetent inward looking regency, so figure I might as well run with it :)

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2011
    Regency 2: Where Nothing Much Happens (1643 - 1648)
    After the disastrous Bohemian intervention, the council settles on a policy of peaceful consolidation. To this end, we work on fostering better relations with our neighbours as well as with Austria, in an attempt to gain a friend to counter the power of the Bohemian heretics. Relations are also restored with Brittany and Catalunya to ensure our close relationship is sustained.

1_austria.jpg

A new colony is established near our African provinces, and the council is please to find the area a rich source of ivory, further enriching the nation.

1_colony.jpg
    2_colony.jpg

We watch warily as "Great" Britain tries to rebuild after the humiliating defeat it suffered at our hands, but Irish land is a poor substitute for that which it lost.

1_ireland.jpg

However, these gains are short lived. Great Britain is plagued by rebels, with nationalists throwing off the shackles of English domination in Ireland and Lollard heretics causing no end of trouble in England.

1644 - 1_rebels.jpg
    1645 - 2_rebels.jpg
    1648 - 3_rebels.jpg

Our other neighbours continue to war against heretics and savages, with Castille warring against the Huron and Leon extending their north African holdings even further after wars against Tunisia and Morocco. Meanwhile, Bohemia grows even more dangerous after absorbing Poland into their realm:
    1_leon.jpg
    1_bohemia.jpg

Meanwhile at home, Vermandois continues to prosper. New technologies are discovered to strengthen our armies, and mighty new armies are raised to replace those lost in the Bohemian debacle.

1_tech.jpg

Meanwhile the council decides a new direction is needed to renew the realm and keep it strong for young King Thomas. Decisions must be made that will effect all the realm.

2_tech.jpg

So we need a new idea. I tend to favour Cabinet (for better avoiding wars) or military drill (to better fight them if they're inevitable), but voting is open and I'll accept the will of the people.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    I am pro-Cabinet or Merchant Adventures, personally.

edited October 2011
    I am pro-Cabinet or Merchant Adventures, personally.

Do we have updated descriptions of the effects of all the ideas, now?

EDIT: Okay, I think I'm dumb. I asked that before. Reading now!

EDIT2: Okay, they aren't all there. What does Cabinet do? What does Scientific Revolution do?

Elvenshae on
    I'm still voting for Scientific Revolution

National Bank. If its useless, all the better.

We have it I think

• LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    Scientific Revolution!

edited October 2011
    Unfortunately my first post is at the character limit, so I can't add the other ideas there, but:

Naval:
    Naval Fighting Instruction (30)
    +50% blockade efficiency
    +0.30 naval morale

Sea Provisioning (53)
    +hips can repair at sea
    -5% naval attrition
    +5% colonisation range

Army:
    Regimental System (30)
    -40% regiment recruitment time
    +15% reinforcement speed

Napoleonic Warfare (53)
    +0.25 discipline (essentially a 25% increase - affects casualties taken and effected)
    +0.15 leader shock and fire (better leaders)

Exploration:
    Scientific Revolution (30)
    -10% technology costs
    +1% production efficiency
    +1% trade efficiency
    -10% Papal Influence

Improved Foraging (53)
    -50% land attrition (e.g. casualties from attrition on land - usually in enemy/unfriendly provinces)

Government:
    Smithian Economics (30)
    +20% production efficiency (more production, more trade units,
    -5% building costs

Liberty, Egalite, Fraternity (53)
    +3 tolerance for heretics and heathens
    +15 stability investment
    -0.10 Papal influence (the Pope, he is not impressed with your egalitarian society)

Culture:
    Cabinet (30)
    -1 infamy (like a 5 star diplomat)
    +0.5 diplomats

Revolution and Counter Revolution (53)
    +CB for other government types
    +0.05 land and naval morale

President Rex on
    Thanks, Rex!

I vote Cabinet.

• Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    I vote Scientific Revolution.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna say Cabinet. The other stuff just seems like Easy Mode.

Sorry should get another update in for this tonight. Got distracted by various other games I bought and a new video card obliged me to play all the modern games I had to see how shiny they looked.

steam_sig.png
    I know I've bypassed my self-imposed deadline by quite a few days, but I expect to have something floating around by tomorrow. We'll see if I can remember to fix the couple of things that were listed earlier.

...and that I haven't ridiculously unbalanced things with my limited playtesting sample of one person (although we are basically almighty, so I don' think I can inadvertently hurt us too badly...I am more worried about borking the AI).

edited October 2011
    Regency: Final Edition (1648 - 1653)

The regency council decides it likes running the show, and convinces the boy king Thomas to turn them into a permanent institution, called a "Cabinet".

cabinet.jpg

One of the ministers is so impressed with this gesture that he releases his magnum opus to enrich the public discourse.

cabinet2.jpg

Meanwhile in the east, the balance of power shifts slightly south as the once mighty kingdom of Zenata is inherited by the little known nation of Yemen.

yemen1.jpg
    yemen2.jpg

England recovers from its revolutions and begins to stir again, causing much uneasiness at court. First convincing the pope to excommunicate the new Scottich monarch, and then turning on the natives in the new world. Still, as long as they don't start any trouble in Europe we are happy to leave them be.

england1.jpg
    england2.jpg

Sensing another english war is inevitable, the council sets to work building up the infrastructure necessary for sustained naval conflict. Two mighty shipyards are build, one on the north coast and one on the west, to help Vermandois project its power and rule the seas.

shipyard.jpg

Unfortunately the expenses drain the treasury to the extend that when calamity occurs, the government can do little but watch as the people burn in their houses.

fire.jpg

The nations in the east continue their squabbling, absorbing and splitting as the tide of power shifts back and forth. Naples tries to continue its expansionary agenda but gets involved in one too many conflicts and, sensing weakness, the Byzantine army invades in what is assumed to be an attempt to reclaim past Roman glories.

annex1.jpg
    annex2.jpg
    annex3.jpg

Then, on July 3 1652 his majesty Thomas II de Vermandois claims his right to rule in his own name, and the council is lowered once again to a merely advisory role. His younger brother Charles is his heir for the time being.

thomas.jpg
    vermandois.jpg

The young king is headstrong and not particularly wise in the ways of statesmanship. He immediately tries to establish a new order, with disastrous results. His attempts at 'diplomacy' only offend our neighbours, and it is only through cordial ties with the council that good relations are maintained with Brittany.

badgov.jpg
    badgov2.jpg

Clearly we need to find a diversion for the king before he brings the kingdom down around our ears.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    So I'm tempted to try to drive the Egyptians out of Europe, but they are allied with Castille so that might get messy. War seems to be all this new king is good for though, so I feel obliged to start a war somewhere at least. Any advice from my cabinet? :)

steam_sig.png
    I think they have some of the provinces we need to form the Frankish Empire, so go for it.

On the other hand, I feel rather close to our Aegyptian cousins; they're family, after all!

So, if possible, I'd prefer a more diplomatic solution to getting our hands on their European holdings.

They are heretics, following their corrupted coptic version of christianity. Also relations are at -200 already, so they're the part of the family you don't invite to reunions.

steam_sig.png