As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] 2012 Challenge Coins - Orders Closed

flatlineflatline Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX Archive
KARMACAPPA IS THE MAN.

That is all. Carry on.

Update (29 March 2012):
karmacappa wrote:
Orders are closed as we're a week out from PAX. I'm not adding to the Will Call list after tomorrow, so I'm going to cancel out any unpaid for invoices in about 24 hours.

Update (18 March 2012): Sorry, I was MIA in Boston all this weekend doing St Patty's shenanigans.
karmacappa wrote: »
Ok, the everyone on the Will Call list received the details on the Volunteers. Please make sure you contact them via e-mail or message them on the forums (which automatically sends them an e-mail as well) to arrange a pickup.
Orders are open for a bit again for WILL CALL COINS ONLY. I ordered about 60 more coins. If you already ordered coins and want more Will Call, you can place another order as I've removed ordering limits. However, once I hit the number of coins we have, I won't be able to offer any more, as there is no longer any time to make another coin order from Phoenix. This is the last call for coins.

Update (12 March 2012): For those who chose to pick up their coins in Boston instead of shipping, the following are the Will-Call Volunteers...
KoalaBro2
Gigabrain
Khadour
Kiashien
Mxwood
Mikemuck1
Keep an eye on the later posts for details on arranging a pickup.

Update (5 March 2012): ORDERS ARE NOW CLOSED

Update (2 March 2012):
karmacappa wrote:
We're nearing the end of ordering, as I very much doubt we'll be doing another batch of coins. I imagine we'll be closing out ordering within the next day or two. It is already to the point where we have less than 20 coins left.

Update (29 FEB 2012): Looks like there are still some coins available, see the previous update below for detailed instructions on reserving (max of 5 per person). There will be a waitlist after all coins are held in case people don't pay up.

Update (22 FEB 2012): ORDERING IS OPEN
karmacappa wrote:
I will be collecting requests to order coins now.
1) E-mail to kcappa-paxcoin (at) yahoo.com
2) Include your name, e-mail address, billing address, and shipping address. You may also optionally include a phone number in case we need to contact you.
3) How many coins do you want to order? (up to 5)
4) Do you want it shipped or "will call" (picked up at PAX)? We will not be able to ship internationally, so pick Will Call or find a friend in the US who might be able to accept it for you.

As a note, if you pick will call, some of the information in 2 will be on a list so we can make sure to get the coins to the proper people in a timely fashion.

Once we have the coins, we will be sending out invoices IN THE ORDER REQUESTS WERE RECEIVED. The invoice will allow you to have a receipt of your order and will include details on how to pay (Paypal or Wepay, but I will try to work something out if that's not possible).

Getting these requests in now will allow us to organize the dispositions of the coins and figure out how much Will Call support we're going to need. I would prefer will call personally.

Update (16 FEB 2012): Proofs are in!
6886146917_9d67a1ce9b.jpg
6886145287_4236dfc202.jpg

Update (2 FEB 2012):
karmacappa wrote:
I'm talking to someone experienced in the field who I've worked with before, and we have every chance of getting the coin out. We're going to have to do this like a normal challenge coin production run though. When we get a figure for the die/factory fees, I'll put up a collection for those funds. Once we have the die, I'm going to pay for about $800 of coins. I'll have to accept reimbursement for coins and shipping, and hopefully won't lose too much on it. There might be a narrow window for requesting the coins from me, so stay on top of it people. Talking to the person I'm working with, we figured that is about 200 coins. We can always do another run of the coins at a later time. This is mostly just to ensure that we get out a coin to ensure continuity.
It will probably be more expensive than through USCC simply because of shipping. I am not personally equipped to ship, so it will be me running down to a store or post office and doing it myself. Generally it is about $5 an order for shipping to the US. Any international orders I'll have to deal with individually.
I'm really sorry about the changes, but we simply won't be able to do an order like we have for the past couple. I'm going to try my best to get one out for PAX EAST 2012 and make it as painless as possible for you guys.
USCC seems to be out of action. karmacappa is looking into alternatives.

Update (24 JAN 2012):
karmacappa wrote:
This years coin will be 1.75" in antiqued nickel. It will have reeded edges to conform to previous coins. It will come in a fitted capsule to protect the coin (which can be removed if you want). It should cost somewhere between $5 and $6 including shipping. We will have a link for orders when the coin is finalized.
NOTE - There will only be 250 coins minted this year, due mainly to underselling in previous years. These will be first-come, first-served.

Update (18 DEC 2011): Here are mockups of our designs. They have been sent to US Challenge Coins for a price quote. Keep in mind they are just the concept designs - the artists at USCC will be able to determine what details will show up well and what needs to be modified.
[/s]
Once we have the price quote, we will set up a Chip-In collection to cover the die costs. The two final mock-ups are:
http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupreverseV4.gif
http://bieneman.org/PAX/PAXEast2012ChallengeCoinmockupobverseMachineV2.gif

Is anyone working on this? It will be November tomorrow, and we all know that we need to give the vendor plenty of time to ensure we can have coins in-hand by the time the con rolls around. It will probably take us a whole month or two to finalize a design idea. We don't want to get caught off-guard by a holiday that shuts down the factory or anything again.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
zerzhul on

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    flatline wrote:
    Is anyone working on this? It will be November tomorrow, and we all know that we need to give the vendor plenty of time to ensure we can have coins in-hand by the time the con rolls around. It will probably take us a whole month or two to finalize a design idea. We don't want to get caught off-guard by a holiday that shuts down the factory or anything again.

This. A million times this. We have absolutely no excuse not to have the coins out before pax this year, other than our own laziness. We known the maker, how long minting and shipping takes, and what holidays slow them down. Let's get on top of this and have the ball rolling.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    flatline wrote:

+1

I love my challenge coin from PAX East 2011 and everyone I've shown it too thinks it's awesome...

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Onmitsu wrote:
    flatline wrote:

This. A million times this. We have absolutely no excuse not to have the coins out before pax this year, other than our own laziness. We known the maker, how long minting and shipping takes, and what holidays slow them down. Let's get on top of this and have the ball rolling.

+ a million

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    We haven't got started yet but it's never too early. I'll see if PapaPrinny is interested in helping out with the design process or anything else. Otherwise you guys go ahead and start brainstorming ideas. We can always start by using the previous coins as examples and inspiration, and going over what we do and don't like about them, and what kind of specific things we would like to see added for the next one. Or whatever. :P

NSw0gum.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'll bring up a suggestion for the back again: Something symbolizing line games, especially those mostly unique to PAX. Pipe cleaner structures would make a great symbol.

I'm thinking we stick with the same theme as Prime for the front. Use a front shot of the convention center perhaps?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Definitely, good thinking kicking this off. If PapaPrinny wants to be involved again, I would cede design control to him, as he did an awesome job last year. Here is last year's coin discussion, so that those who weren't around can see what we ended up with.

If we end up on our own for design, I would say that we should keep the reverse the same, just like they do for the Prime coin. As we discussed last year, Boston isn't really known for its skyline, but is known for its history. Hence, the statue of Paul Revere was more iconic for PAX East (and really, who wants a coin with a convention center on it?).

For the obverse, what made last year's so amazing was that it was 1) instantly recognizable to all PAX attendees, and 2) super classy-looking. While I went to PAX East last year, I never saw any pipe cleaner structures, so that seems way too obscure (and I don't think a pipe cleaner structure would be very recognizable on a coin). I think there is likely to be a strong desire to get away from tabletop, since we did that last year, so I might propose consoles, something like this (obviously just a crude 5 minute mockup):
    paxeast2012challengecoinob.png

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Thanks. To be honest this will be my third PAX and I have no idea what he means by pipe cleaner structures.

(I mean, conceptually I understand what they are, I've just never seen one at PAX or heard anyone talk about them)

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    The second prime coin did not keep the same reverse. It was a thought, but ended up not happening that way.

Also I'm not sure it's necessary to get away from tabletop. Just something different is really all that matters.

The 3 previous coins, for reference:
    IMG_20110906_134750.jpg
    IMG_20110906_134838.jpg

zerzhul on
    edited November 2011
    My apologies, I guess I didn't follow the PAX Prime stuff very closely. Still, I think keeping the reverse the same (aside from altering the date) is the way to go. Keeps them as part of a set, ties them thematically, makes them look good as collector's items (IMHO). If/when PAX East moves out of Boston in a couple years, changing the reverse would then be a great way to mark the end of the era.

Edit: Also, looking now at the PAX Prime discussion and seeing how they came in somewhat late, I think we should set the following timeline:
    November: Discuss big picture ideas, settle on the basic concept (reverse same/different, obverse thematically oriented around consoles/PCs/etc)
    December: Propose and vote on various actual designs.
    January: Raise money for die casting.

If US Challenge Coins has their money and the designs by February 1st, we should have no trouble getting things on time (about 2 months). Chinese New Year is early this year (January 23rd), so they should all be back to work by February 1st.

KoalaBro2 on
    edited November 2011
    well, one issue with the reverse was actually that due to the 3d effect on the horse, the coin did not sit flat on that side. It's possible that it could be modified to not have that problem but I think if the reverse is kept the same it's a problem that needs to be resolved.

I'm not on the side of keeping or changing that side really, but I think that changing to a different Seattle landmark worked well for the design and still tied it to Seattle for Prime. It certainly might help speed the design process along to keep the same base design for the east coin though.

One thing that was learned between east and prime, the non-smooth edge is generally preferred and since 2/3 coins went with the nickel instead of the brass whoever is running the show should probably just stick with that so fewer decisions need to be made.

Someone might want to contact @karmacappa and see if he's willing to work with USCC again since he did a fantastic job of doing that last year (and if we can get a hold of him now he can likely get the ball rolling if he has the same contacts with USCC). I know the prime coin was just done with USCC via a different PoC on the forums side, but it felt like whomever karmacappa worked with was more receptive to the community than whomever was handling prime from the USCC side (hopefully not the same person since the experience seemed different, although it could have been the forum contact too).

so, the TL;DR version: Make the decision to keep the textured edge and the nickel finish to debate two fewer points, and someone talk to @karmacappa and @papaprinny

zerzhul on
    Ugh, I like the smooth edge - the reeded edge makes it feel like currency to me instead of a challenge coin.

Those of you who have multiple coins - what did you think about the size difference on the Prime coin this year? It was accidentally made larger than the previous two coins.

edited November 2011
    Are you certain it was an accident? the size may have been necessary to get the requisite detail for the WSCC image.

Also, I liked the size of the 2011 prime coin, given the detail on the WSCC it did not feel out of place.

zerzhul on
    Keep the smaller size. It's already big enough. 2" is starting to get you into coaster-size territory.

Definitely nickel finish (though I do wish Prime had kept with brass to keep a color difference between the two PAXes).

I'm also in favor of a smooth edge. A smooth edge would retain at least some point of distinction between East and Prime, plus I agree with Flatline that reeded edges are more for currency. I think our default should be, if there's no strong push for a change, keep things the same as last year (size, finish, edges).

KoalaBro2 wrote:
    I think our default should be, if there's no strong push for a change, keep things the same as last year (size, finish, edges).

I agree, I guess I was just taking it from the most recent Prime coin since that was the most recent coin overall.

I am strongly against smooth finish. It feels really weird in the hand to not have the ridged edges - one of the things I didn't like about the last East coin.

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    These look awesome! I wasn't able to grab one last year, but definitely getting one this year! I agree with the smooth edge, but I could go either way, that doesn't really bother me too much... and as far as the landmarks go, the boston harbor might not be a bad idea to put on the front... not quite sure how you would work it though...

Korvas on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    I don't have any big preference for the milling on the edges (I lean towards smooth), although suffice to say I am supremely pleased with the PAX East coin I have from last year. If we're going to switch up the reverse from last year's Paul Revere, I would like to propose the USS Constitution, AKA Old Ironsides. It's a classic and instantly recognizable piece of history and a classic Boston Landmark. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

As for the front, I am not a fan of the most recent PAX Prime design. The D-pad feels very bland compared to the other two, which have both elegance of design and a triumphant feel to them. Since we've done Dice and and Handhelds, why not incorporate classic/iconic gaming imagery into the design? Now, stop me if this is a no-no since these are parts of Existing IPs, but something like a 1-up mushroom or warp pipe would not be out of place (perhaps a 1-up mushroom on top of a warp pipe?) on a coin who's purpose is to extol gaming on high.

Other ideas could include classic fantasy imagery, including Dragons, which at send my mind instantly to thoughts of Dungeons and Dragons. I like the idea of something that Extols not only video games, but tabletops, board games, card games, ect, all the forms of gaming that PAX envelops, and some iconic fantasy imagery could pull that off. My worry though, is that people might feel that it is too nonspecific or not representative enough of gaming culture. What do people think?

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    2011 Coin Details
    1.75"
    Nickel
    Plain Edges

Obverse
    Edge: Numquam Mentula Es, Welcome Home, on a Pacman border
    Face: An array of dice set against an olive branch, with 4 cards laid out
    paxeast2011challengecoi.png

Reverse
    Edge: PAX East 2011, Boston MA, Date
    Face: Paul Revere Statue, set against Old North Church steeple
    paxeast2011challengecoi.png

Flatline's Proposed 2012 Design (Absolutely open for comment)
    Personally, I like all the basic details from the 2011 coin. I also wish that Prime had stayed with a 1.75" brass coin, as that would be the perfect way to differentiate the two, but I don't blame them - I think the nickel finish looks much nicer.

Obverse
    Edge: I'm assuming everyone would like to keep the slogan here?
    Face: I was thinking an old-school arcade cabinet (although it would need something else around it - thoughts?). After my suggestion of Dice with crossed cardboard-tubes was shot down last year, I kind of came around to the thinking that the coin should be more gaming related than Penny Arcade related.

Reverse
    Edge: Follow the previous coins - "PAX East 2012" , "Boston MA" and, "April 6-8"
    Face: If USCC says they can get the detail (and I fully believe they can), I am all for Old Ironsides. Depending on what angle we go with, we might even be able to insert some of the Boston Skyline behind it.
    uss+constitution1.jpg

Keep the ideas coming!

I think flatline's got us off to a good start. My comments:

Obverse
    Edge: Yes, keep it exactly the same, Numquam Mentula Es, Welcome Home, Pac-man border, everything.
    Face: While an arcade cabinet is nice in theory, arcade cabinets do kind of just look like boxes. Maybe something that's more a closeup of the control panel would work well, or maybe even the control panel and the coin slot, a little something like this, but on a full-size cabinet and with the joystick visible: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/05/201105270494.jpg

Reverse
    Edge: Yup, agree, keep it consistent
    Face: Again, I'm still in favor of keeping the whole thing consistent. But, if we do decide to change it, I think something on the water is spot-on. However, just the USS Constitution would be a little weird (it's a gaming convention, not a War of 1812 re-enactment), so it needs to be set in context. Something like this, perhaps? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/US_Navy_050716-N-0335C-003_USS_Constitution,_the_world's_oldest_commissioned_warship_afloat,_is_escorted_to_Boston_Harbor's_Castle_Island_by_six_yard_patrol_craft.jpg

I definitely liked the ridged edge over the smooth. Using the constitution would definitely work for the reverse. It really comes down to a good picture thereof.

And the Prime coin was supposed to be smaller but they made them too large. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/20411299#Comment_20411299

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I was just thinking that Old Ironsides would make a great alternate landmark to use, then Onmitsu beat me to it. I think an arcade cabinet is very doable, and easily recognizable as more than just a box - maybe do it in a 3/4 view, so the control panel and coin slots are perfectly visible on the front.

I also agree with the timeline that was posted. We've had multiple last-minute scenarios with challenge coins, for no good reason. Let's try not to repeat those experiences . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind organizing the production of the coin with USCC. The important part is to finalize our requests for the artwork and send the applicable materials to USCC in a timely fashion. Once we have an idea of our requests for artwork, I can get started on requesting a quote and collecting money for the die.

"In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    Wow I must have missed people doing this last time. This is such an awesome idea.

The slogan "Welcome Home" seems to be tradition and its always been fitting so I vote we keep that.

For the obverse I think we need something universal to all gamers. KoalaBro2's idea isn't too bad but it leaves out PC gamers (of which I am one). Also, I'm more in favor of a single object or theme that covers eveyone so we don't have to worry about putting every console on there. Would it be possible to use the new PA gaming crest, or would that be a infringement on PA merch?

For the Reverse I think the USS Constitution is a great idea and I’m all for it.

E68SJmZ.png
    Would it be possible to use the new PA gaming crest, or would that be a infringement on PA merch?

I'm not really sure what you mean by the PA gaming crest. If you are referring to the Forum Crest (below), it is too detailed to adequately render onto a coin die.
    draft3.png

As for anything related to Penny Arcade itself, the general rule is that we can't use any Intellectual Property/creations from Penny Arcade.

flatline wrote:
    I'm not really sure what you mean by the PA gaming crest. If you are referring to the Forum Crest (below), it is too detailed to adequately render onto a coin die.
    draft3.png

As for anything related to Penny Arcade itself, the general rule is that we can't use any Intellectual Property/creations from Penny Arcade.
    I was referring to the chest that Erika recently designed (that you can now buy a shirt of) but I was pretty sure we couldn't use it...and yes the forum chest is too detailed and even if it wasn't, it doesn't really cover PAX as a whole anyways...but it does look cool :P

E68SJmZ.png
    I don't think we're going to get a coin that covers everyone. For the past three coins we had a focus on a single part of PAX. The first was handheld (DS), the second was tabletop (cards and dice), and the third was uh ... PC and Console gaming?

Thinking along those lines, what haven't we done that's open to all attendees? Lines, concerts, cosplay, panels... Of those, perhaps something symbolizing panels?

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    A depiction of the creatures that make up the theaters, perhaps? Could be rough to get on a coin...

Nullzone on
    Yeah, we're definitely not going to do one thing that covers all of PAX. Sticking with one part is the way to go. That's why we make one every year, eventually we'll cover everyone :)

Also, PAX is definitely a gaming convention. While there are concerts and panels and cosplay and theaters, those exist to support the gaming theme. Thus, I strongly feel that our coins should likewise focus on gaming. Yes, this means we'll eventually revisit old themes, but you could do a million coins on the theme of "handheld gaming" without repeating designs.

So far the most support seems to be for something arcade cabinet-related. To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that an arcade cabinet looks too much like a box to distinguish what it is, only that it's not a terribly dynamic-looking piece of equipment. That being said, if this month is "decide on a theme" and next month is "vote on a design," then we can worry about how to make the machine look cool next month.

It appears that I'm the only one who thinks keeping Paul Revere is the way to go for the Boston side. Oh well. I'll hope for a last-minute surge of support, but I can accept defeat gracefully.

I am not a designer, but if an entire arcade cabinet is too much, maybe an arcade stick w/buttons or something like that? Or perhaps if we can fit more things, an arcade stick with buttons and some sort of pinball paddles?

Also I'm one more for old ironsides.

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I am all about ironside. looks cool! and I am definitely all for the cabinet, I think it would look awesome!!! something like this comes to mind... with out the text obviously...

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Image:Cabinet1.jpg

I think old ironsides is a great idea. I'm totally for having a different Boston landmark on every years challenge coin. Boston is so rich in American history that it would seem like a crime to just focus on one thing. As far as themes go, I know there has been a lot of discussion about something along the PC/Console gaming theme, but what about a design that really represents geek culture as a whole? I'm trying to think of something like that, so right now I don't have any specific ideas, but it's just something I thought I would throw out there.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
    As far as other aesthetics go, I am in favor of leaving the edge and color as they are. I don't actually prefer one color or style of edge to another, but I think it helps make the coins look like they are part of a set. Same color, size, edge, etc...

zerzhul wrote:
    I am not a designer, but if an entire arcade cabinet is too much, maybe an arcade stick w/buttons or something like that? Or perhaps if we can fit more things, an arcade stick with buttons and some sort of pinball paddles?

OH, Oh! An arcade stick (or something similar) with Pinball paddles on each side instead of the usual Oak Leaves. I think that would be rad.

E68SJmZ.png
    zerzhul wrote:

OH, Oh! An arcade stick (or something similar) with Pinball paddles on each side instead of the usual Oak Leaves. I think that would be rad.

hey yeah, that's a great idea

As far as other aesthetics go, I am in favor of leaving the edge and color as they are. I don't actually prefer one color or style of edge to another, but I think it helps make the coins look like they are part of a set. Same color, size, edge, etc...

The three coins we have so far all have different edges and colors already, so it may be too late for that...

Heleor wrote:

The three coins we have so far all have different edges and colors already, so it may be too late for that...

I blame the Primers (Primeans? Primese?). I'll do my damnedest to make sure the East coins have some consistency.

karmacappa wrote:
    I wouldn't mind organizing the production of the coin with USCC. The important part is to finalize our requests for the artwork and send the applicable materials to USCC in a timely fashion. Once we have an idea of our requests for artwork, I can get started on requesting a quote and collecting money for the die.

I think that would be very helpful. You did a fantastic job of it before.

zerzhul wrote:
    karmacappa wrote:

I think that would be very helpful. You did a fantastic job of it before.

I agree. I will help out as much as I can, but I haven't worked with USCC before. I only started the thread because I know everyone is busy outside of the forums and I wanted to make sure everyone has PLENTY of time to get coins in hand before PAX this year.

+1 on the pinball flippers with joystick. Now we're talking. I think the controls on an arcade panel are likely to be much more interesting design elements than the cabinet as a whole.

Totally agree with flatline, those Primers just can't make up their minds. We Easters are much more levelheaded :)

karmascappa, is there anything we should know about what sort of artwork we need to submit to USCC? Is it supposed to be any approximate size or anything?

This discussion has been closed.